Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QRtb1minyI

Do you like rats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Bad rats 2

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lYPntgZwTI

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGnzT2vsWhU

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwcsv6Tmgmg

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Big problem: they only live ~2 years. :(

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I shouldn't tell you about the mouse, the trap, and its will to go back into the cove behind my oven.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Pet rats are Rattus norvegicus, the brown rat.

Black rats, aka Roof rats - Rattus rattus, are more slender, have bigger eyes, long tails, and are much more agile and acrobatic. There are breeders that have started to try to domesticate them, breed different coat colors, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-4A9ixZA_c

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Bula Vinaka posted:

I had one almost make it to four. :gbsmith:

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

rats are cool op

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
They do seem like they can be nice little fellows, but I did see a foot long one (with the tail) run over a passed out guy and stole his food, a couple days ago, which is kind of sad and gross.

The guy didn't need naloxone at least, but even if you chased the rat down (good luck), you gonna eat the remains of a burger the rat started on? You want to start a new plague? They will loving name it after you.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Rats got into my car while I was traveling for work. They didn't do any damage, but they all burned to death the next time I drove the car. It took forever to get the smell of dead rat and rat piss out.

Regardless, no hard feelings to those rats or rats in general. They were just trying to keep warm I guess.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Rats are pretty cute but yeah I don't think I could have one as a pet because I'd get too sad with how they die of cancer in just a couple of years. There's also the part where they pee everywhere that I don't think I'd like.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I like rats too but I have to admit I kill them when they self-tame in Rimworld because they're dirty vermin in that game.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

My older sister had pet rats when I was a kid. They are intelligent and funny little creatures like cats, only smaller. A shame they only live 2-3 years, and because of that I never took up owning them myself. I’m a big mess when pets die :(

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
You are forgetting the constant poop pellets. As someone who likes sesame seeds you have to become like sherlock holmes.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
My sister had rat pets when we were both in our college years and I was surprised to find that they're actually really good pets. Very friendly, active, and curious. Except then I learned that they only live a couple years and, as a bonus, when one died the others would waste no time consuming the body of the recently departed. Also, rodents don't do potty training, so taking the rat out means tiny poop cleanup, and then tiny poop discovery days/weeks/??? later. Always awkward to find poop from a rat who hasn't been with us for at least a year. Maybe just buy a chihuahua instead?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Do you know how Indiana Jones hate snakes? I don't hate snakes.

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
https://youtu.be/OXQwx1EolD8

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I like rats quite a bit. I've raised 5 of them, they were very sweet. I miss them.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hell yeah 3D Movie Maker is rad, rats are rad to. Rads.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA

bossy lady posted:

Rats got into my car while I was traveling for work. They didn't do any damage, but they all burned to death the next time I drove the car. It took forever to get the smell of dead rat and rat piss out.

Regardless, no hard feelings to those rats or rats in general. They were just trying to keep warm I guess.

Happened to me as well. Thought I heard the sound of screaming, but my mom was sure it was nothing. She found the remains months later when she took the truck to the mechanics.

Also rip, op. You're going to catch the bubonic.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I like the 1200 bucks customers pay for a rodent exclusion to keep roof rats out of their attic.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
guinea pig gang

President in Residence
May 12, 2003

Rats are great. They can be trained to sniff out landmines and save tons of lives, look dapper as gently caress in their harnesses at the same time. https://apopo.org/herorats/?v=24d22e03afb2

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I also like rats, op.

They are pretty dang cute!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I liked the old English childrens show Roland Rat Superstar.

It was about a rat named Roland, who wore a hat and talked all funny-like.

Little kid me enjoyed it, but nobody else seems to remember it.

Here is a picture of Roland.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

President in Residence posted:

Rats are great. They can be trained to sniff out landmines and save tons of lives, look dapper as gently caress in their harnesses at the same time. https://apopo.org/herorats/?v=24d22e03afb2

This was a birthday present one year. I hope my rat Mikasa enjoyed her life and saved plenty of lives. They didn't tell me when she died, but I've been a rat dad long enough to know that she's gone. Rest well Mikasa the hero.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

My mom taught 3rd grade elementary school and we would take care of the class rats on breaks and over the summer. They were honestly very friendly and interesting little fellas.

As mentioned though they just poop and pee whenever they feel like it and don't live long so there's some downside.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
My rat had big balls. He was quite clever; figured out how to open his cage.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

BrigadierSensible posted:

I liked the old English childrens show Roland Rat Superstar.

It was about a rat named Roland, who wore a hat and talked all funny-like.

Little kid me enjoyed it, but nobody else seems to remember it.

Here is a picture of Roland.

My first encounter with a mascot actor was meeting Roland and his Ratmobile at a car show. I was sad that he was silent.

Also I had pet rats and they were great, top tier small dogs who leave us too soon.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
rats off to ya

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

DrPossum posted:

rats off to ya

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Frozen rat for the dragon lizard in your tank until the warming light bulb goes off.

loving unreal.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
One of my roommates in college had a ball python named Slurpee. Once a week he would bring home a live rat from the pet store and we would watch Slurpee feed. Idk much about the ethics of live feeding snakes, but it was pretty gnarly.

Except sometimes Slurpee wouldn't eat the rat. He would take one sniff of it and be like "no thanks," and it would just live there in his terrarium for a few days until the guy took it out and released it behind the house. Those rats won the loving lottery.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Bula Vinaka posted:

This is why I no longer have rats. They're so sweet and cuddly and wonderful and my heart can't take the grief.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Mister Speaker posted:

One of my roommates in college had a ball python named Slurpee. Once a week he would bring home a live rat from the pet store and we would watch Slurpee feed. Idk much about the ethics of live feeding snakes, but it was pretty gnarly.

Except sometimes Slurpee wouldn't eat the rat. He would take one sniff of it and be like "no thanks," and it would just live there in his terrarium for a few days until the guy took it out and released it behind the house. Those rats won the loving lottery.

I think besides the cruelty of it, they don't recommend live prey because of the danger the prey can hurt the predator in defense.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
A rat killed my brother

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A rat done bit my sister Nell. (with Whitey on the moon) Her face and arms began to swell. (and Whitey's on the moon)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Charles Bukowski posted:

This was a birthday present one year. I hope my rat Mikasa enjoyed her life and saved plenty of lives. They didn't tell me when she died, but I've been a rat dad long enough to know that she's gone. Rest well Mikasa the hero.

Those ones live 8-10 years, so maybe not?