Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

fisting by many posted:

but I don't know how you offer that feature and not have it be vulnerable to enumeration scraping.

You have them type in a phone number, and then say thanks, if it's connected to an account we'll text you an OTP or whatever. Don't divulge whether/which account until they prove ownership

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

it wasn’t recovery AIUI, but the contact-finder service. FB had this done to them a little while back too and mitigated it (rate limiting probably)

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Rufus Ping posted:

You have them type in a phone number, and then say thanks, if it's connected to an account we'll text you an OTP or whatever. Don't divulge whether/which account until they prove ownership

but the point is to allow other people (potentially strangers) to find you from your phone number. so there's no way to verify the request.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

fisting by many posted:

but the point is to allow other people (potentially strangers) to find you from your phone number. so there's no way to verify the request.

You "fix" that by requiring people to opt-in to that feature, and if they haven't opted in then it doesn't find their account.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Jabor posted:

You "fix" that by requiring people to opt-in to that feature, and if they haven't opted in then it doesn't find their account.

which is what twitter did, at least.

it still seems like a bad idea from a security perspective, as an ordinary person would not anticipate this kind of attack. it probably shouldn't be an option, even if opt-in.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

fisting by many posted:

it still seems like a bad idea from a security perspective, as an ordinary person would not anticipate this kind of attack. it probably shouldn't be an option, even if opt-in.
I saw the thread before it got deleted, and a not-inconsiderable number of people mentioned having it turned off and it being turned on when they went to check, and I would absolutely not put it past Twitter to volunteer people to have it automatically turned on.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

fisting by many posted:

you could ask the person with the phone number if they want to allow @telescraper to know their username

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
https://twitter.com/wolfiechristl/status/1596277060435345411

lol

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

If the germans want to go back that hard to in-house hosted dovecot with 1990s level of features nobody is stopping them, just stop trying to gently caress us public sector 365 users that are more than happy with microsoft.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sure but what about the tons of individuals’ private information you traffic in during your day to day work? those people have rights too, even if they’re German

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

If the germans want to go back that hard to in-house hosted dovecot with 1990s level of features nobody is stopping them, just stop trying to gently caress us public sector 365 users that are more than happy with microsoft.

going back to 1990s terrible german software is why the GDPR exists. its protectionist, anti-american garbage.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

suse linux is comin back baby!!!

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Shaggar posted:

going back to 1990s terrible german software is why the GDPR exists. its protectionist, anti-american garbage.

i feel its got nothing to do with software and everything to do with us intelligence agencies having on demand access to all the data

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

dream on, microsoft will almost certainly fix this pretty drat quick. no doubt they'd prefer to leave it entirely open what they do with the data, but i'd expect even a truthful enumeration of what they currently do would pass the requirements.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the head of SuSE Linux for Novell ended up at Microsoft and then running GitHub before semi-retiring. MSFT always gets you in the end.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

dream on, microsoft will almost certainly fix this pretty drat quick. no doubt they'd prefer to leave it entirely open what they do with the data, but i'd expect even a truthful enumeration of what they currently do would pass the requirements.

they’re not going to want to encourage other jurisdictions to get fancy, though, so I expect there will be some brinkmanship

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

they’re not going to want to encourage other jurisdictions to get fancy, though, so I expect there will be some brinkmanship

yeah, they'll do what they need to, but they'll spend the time and money to make it as broad as at all possible still.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

the head of SuSE Linux for Novell ended up at Microsoft and then running GitHub before semi-retiring. MSFT always gets you in the end.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Subjunctive posted:

sure but what about the tons of individuals’ private information you traffic in during your day to day work? those people have rights too, even if they’re German

We don't have PII data in 365, we keep that in a dedicated local silo with purview actively hunting for erroneous data uploads. Which is what any sane people should do rather than cloud lift everything and then making such a racket afterwards.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

SlowBloke posted:

We don't have PII data in 365, we keep that in a dedicated local silo with purview actively hunting for erroneous data uploads. Which is what any sane people should do rather than cloud lift everything and then making such a racket afterwards.

you definitely have pii in your office 365 spaces, users can’t help themselves.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sickening posted:

you definitely have pii in your office 365 spaces, users can’t help themselves.

We move so little PII that it's trivial to keep an eye on it, i'm not terribly worried. Plus our users are actively resisting moving the non critical data to 365 groups, I'm not expecting clandestine uploads when they cannot make a share point/teams site.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Achmed Jones posted:

suse linux is comin back baby!!!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SlowBloke posted:

We move so little PII that it's trivial to keep an eye on it, i'm not terribly worried. Plus our users are actively resisting moving the non critical data to 365 groups, I'm not expecting clandestine uploads when they cannot make a share point/teams site.

my users are simply too stupid to break the law, you see

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Shame Boy posted:

my users are simply too stupid to break the law, you see

Given that one of those people decided that "i will print out the files path and bring the paper over" when asked to share the files, yes.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I am sure they break the law in other more stupid ways. Just not in that particular way that requires a little bit of know-how.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
fortunately just using a european cloud provider will solve all your gdpr problems (because nobody will bother investigating it)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SlowBloke posted:

Given that one of those people decided that "i will print out the files path and bring the paper over" when asked to share the files, yes.

Don't worry, users are extremely clever when it comes to destroying things, like your assumptions, weekends, and hopes.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

i just quickly read over the 8 page summary and i don't think this is particularly easy to fix for microsoft. a full EU instance might do it - but only if it either does not transfer data outside of the EU at all or if it only does so in very specific cases which are spelled out in detail and only to specific jurisdictions.
as it is, the data agreements don't spell out who is processing data and for what - and specifically, they not only require microsoft to spell that out for their global services that might touch EU data, they also want microsoft to spell that out for third parties that somehow touch that data as part of microsoft's services. that is certainly more complicated. then there's the stuff in the twitter thread.

Shaggar posted:

idk, i doubt any larger players currently can offer a modern cloud-based architecture that can comply with that. last time i talked to SAP people about this, they wanted to change topic real fast.
i guess some linux shop might be able to offer this, but in practice, not even public administration will use it. munich made waves about switching their entire IT to linux and then a few years later switched back to a microsoft environment because linux was more expensive and pissed off all the users.

i assume the result is going to be a continued reliance on on-prem stuff, which in practice means on-prem exchange and other microsoft products in like 99% of all cases. or everybody will continue to ignore this and just use cloud products anyway, which is what is currently happening.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

rjmccall posted:

fortunately just using a european cloud provider will solve all your gdpr problems (because nobody will bother investigating it)

Double so when the cloud provider goes up in flame, after all the main proponent of gaia-x was ovh.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

SlowBloke posted:

Double so when the cloud provider goes up in flame, after all the main proponent of gaia-x was ovh.

gaia-x is functionally dead anyway, afaik

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

i just quickly read over the 8 page summary and i don't think this is particularly easy to fix for microsoft. a full EU instance might do it - but only if it either does not transfer data outside of the EU at all or if it only does so in very specific cases which are spelled out in detail and only to specific jurisdictions.
as it is, the data agreements don't spell out who is processing data and for what - and specifically, they not only require microsoft to spell that out for their global services that might touch EU data, they also want microsoft to spell that out for third parties that somehow touch that data as part of microsoft's services. that is certainly more complicated. then there's the stuff in the twitter thread.

idk, i doubt any larger players currently can offer a modern cloud-based architecture that can comply with that. last time i talked to SAP people about this, they wanted to change topic real fast.
i guess some linux shop might be able to offer this, but in practice, not even public administration will use it. munich made waves about switching their entire IT to linux and then a few years later switched back to a microsoft environment because linux was more expensive and pissed off all the users.

i assume the result is going to be a continued reliance on on-prem stuff, which in practice means on-prem exchange and other microsoft products in like 99% of all cases. or everybody will continue to ignore this and just use cloud products anyway, which is what is currently happening.

Most 365 components have a European instance already, either in Germany, France or Ireland. Data processing is the only grey area that require bureaucratic/ops work to make the Germans happy.

Whoever is keeping these debates alive has likely stakes in that flaming trash fire called gaia-x

gaia-x is functionally dead anyway, afaik

It's still being considered active by policymakers sadly.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

munich made waves about switching their entire IT to linux and then a few years later switched back to a microsoft environment because linux was more expensive and pissed off all the users.

no, they went back to microsoft because microsoft lobbied the new mayor's party with a couple dozen million dollars (which they immediately made back by selling them brand new licenses)

it was quite funny too, just as the users got used to the new workflow and costs started to go down after the migrations ended, they went back to microsoft, and of course costs rocketed up again for a few years as they started migrating back

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

SlowBloke posted:

Most 365 components have a European instance already, either in Germany, France or Ireland. Data processing is the only grey area that require bureaucratic/ops work to make the Germans happy.

Whoever is keeping these debates alive has likely stakes in that flaming trash fire called gaia-x

the way i read this document, it seems pretty focused on the legal side of things, ie. the literal agreements. while i don't doubt the protectionist angle or wanting to keep gaia-x alive (lol), i would not put it past german bureaucracy to simply have shitfit about this because they want to be technically correct. placating them is going to take forever.

for further evidence of germans simply disappearing up their own rear end, i refer to our attempt to develop an information security framework (bsi grundschutz), which is so stupid and unwieldy that everybody here either uses iso 27000 or nist 800-53.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

M365 can't comply why exactly?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

there's a german guy i stumbled across on youtube that would post nothing but videos of his incredibly detailed, fully functional teeny tiny RC vehicles driving around his yard doing teeny tiny work. having the construction vehicles actually move teeny tiny piles of dirt to build a foundation for a crane to install a teeny tiny bridge that a teeny tiny fire truck could drive over and spray a teeny tiny amount of water on a teeny tiny fire, etc.

i remember at the time thinking it was the most german hobby i had ever seen. it doesn't really have anything directly to do with the current conversation but i think it fits thematically, i guess

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

the way i read this document, it seems pretty focused on the legal side of things, ie. the literal agreements. while i don't doubt the protectionist angle or wanting to keep gaia-x alive (lol), i would not put it past german bureaucracy to simply have shitfit about this because they want to be technically correct. placating them is going to take forever.

for further evidence of germans simply disappearing up their own rear end, i refer to our attempt to develop an information security framework (bsi grundschutz), which is so stupid and unwieldy that everybody here either uses iso 27000 or nist 800-53.

if there is an actual german translated nist 800-53, it would make my weekend really nice

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I made a joke that other countries probably base their it policy off of nist work because they have to clearly justify their recommendations but I didn't really think it spread beyond the Five Eyes

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

sb hermit posted:

spread beyond the Five Eyes

that’s how you get Five Pink Eyes

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

dpkg chopra posted:

that’s how you get Five Pink Eyes

:whitewater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

it doesnt matter if the german software companies can or cant comply because they wont ever be fined