Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inset
Sep 20, 2003

Grimey Drawer

video where he goes through his setup is wild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS921BrPiH0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

cms: oh poo poo I wanna revisit my old tracks.

I would love to tinker with them some more, just to experiment and see what I can learn from doing so. and I also wanna bounce them off of others to get feedback, but I’m insecure cause I think my music is too videogamey :(

I once heard someone disparage some music that I thought was decent because it was “too videogamey”. since then I’ve had that in the back of my mind and been judging everything I make from that view. honestly, it just makes me feel bad about what I make, and I wish I had never heard that person speak. I wish I could objectively say they were wrong, and videogamey is not bad. I have to remember that all speech is a function of its context, speaker, and target…it is not absolute truth.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Could be fun to lean into it, make the most video gamey track you can to show yourself what "too videogamey" actually sounds like to you

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

cms: oh poo poo I wanna revisit my old tracks.

I would love to tinker with them some more, just to experiment and see what I can learn from doing so. and I also wanna bounce them off of others to get feedback, but I’m insecure cause I think my music is too videogamey :(

I once heard someone disparage some music that I thought was decent because it was “too videogamey”. since then I’ve had that in the back of my mind and been judging everything I make from that view. honestly, it just makes me feel bad about what I make, and I wish I had never heard that person speak. I wish I could objectively say they were wrong, and videogamey is not bad. I have to remember that all speech is a function of its context, speaker, and target…it is not absolute truth.

i disparage well made music based on weird subjective reasons all the time. i hope i am not like the person who you talk about. i also really internalize off the cuff stuff or really any comments people make about my music (it's rare because nobody listens to my music because it sucks)

i make a point however to kind of separate two sides of my opinion of any creative work.
on one side it is my subjective reasoning where i like-do not like thing based on whether i feel i like it.
on the other side it's more about do i appreciate the attitude, energy and craftsmanship that went into the piece?
like for example some really technical progressive math rock that takes really a lot of skill to play and have it tight: on one hand, i don't listen to this kind of stuff it's not really my vibe; on the other hand hell yeah i can appreciate the hard work and skill and attitude that went into it and i will always respect artists like that (unless they milkshake duck themselves)

videogamey is not bad. wisp is videogamey. wisp is not bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP7ASNa2vQE

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

video game music is cool and good. and also encompasses a huge amount of styles. just make stuff you like, and try to get better with each one. that’s really all you can do

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i admit i dont "get" 8bit and chiptunes stuff, but i am sure its because i never had a gameboy or any kind of console where i would be exposed to this sort of sounds, and therefore it's not a part of my childhood nostalgia

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Thinking on downsampling more, if reducing the sample rate and bit depth to match old sampler hardware is the goal, isn't that something I could just batch job with something like ffmpeg? As opposed to loading up a whole vst and rendering and all that jazz?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I like dBpoweramp for batch jobs like that but that's a paid license. try sox in a bash script

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

idk i feel like you also need to match the preamp/adc eq curves to be able to match old samplers for their sound. sample rate will just go halfway
you could try finding a recorded impulse response of those old samplers whose sound you are after. then you can just slap that on your track and you do not have to process all the samples beforehand

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Yeah, but I'm trying to bake it into my samples so I can have it ready to rock in the hardware sampler whenever. I'll probably just figure out a workflow and set up templates to make the job quicker and just bang through them gradually when I've got a moment here and there. Wonder if there would be a market niche for a hardware sampler that can model different old sampler parameters on the fly, seems pretty feasible.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
TAL-DAC seems to be what you’re looking for. I think you can do batch jobs with it via Audacity.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

fins posted:

drat you thread, spend a chunk of my tool budget on a polyend tracker

and the polyend play too.. drat you ebay, such a foul quagmire of temptation.

thinking about applying for one of the open positions at polyend

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
lmao i tried to "do the right thing" and buy reason instead of pirating it, and i'm glad i chose the monthly license model because from reason 5 to 12 they took out literally the most important feature to me ("lock device to instrument")

the whole point of the software was so i could play on my keyboard while my kid played on the drumpad and vice versa but now apparently you have to gently caress around with expert mode midi channel bullshit to do it instead of just having a simple option in the context menu

glad the first month was only a euro!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

fwiw it's easy to set "this track gets input from THIS midi, this other track gets input from THIS OTHER midi" in ableton. you probably either have or can get a copy of live lite for free. if not lmk and i'll see if i can give you mine (i have the full version, no need for lite version)

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i've never used any of the others because i really liked the dorky skeumorphism reason has always had. it made it really easy to figure out how to do most of the things that came to my mind

i guess i'm going to try ableton though. I think you're probably right and the lite version came with something i ordered recently i just gotta remember what

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i'm having a lot of fun with bespoke but it sucks for messing with live while i'm trying to be an entertaining dad because the presets are barebones as hell and it takes some work to gin up a couple of good instruments

i probably should just keep using bespoke and build up a library of instruments

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Corla Plankun posted:

lmao i tried to "do the right thing" and buy reason instead of pirating it, and i'm glad i chose the monthly license model because from reason 5 to 12 they took out literally the most important feature to me ("lock device to instrument")

the whole point of the software was so i could play on my keyboard while my kid played on the drumpad and vice versa but now apparently you have to gently caress around with expert mode midi channel bullshit to do it instead of just having a simple option in the context menu

glad the first month was only a euro!

I think that’s still there, but I could be wrong. my panorama controller has mixer features that I have locked to the right places in my default template and it works. I’m afk so I’ll have to check later

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
reason is perfectly Fine but it is generally regarded as having pretty poo poo code as far as synthesis goes. I'm not trying to dissuade you from using it as i ALSO find its ui fun and engaging, but you run up against a wall when it's mastering time and it's not easy to port your creations to a better engine

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

killhamster posted:

I think that’s still there, but I could be wrong. my panorama controller has mixer features that I have locked to the right places in my default template and it works. I’m afk so I’ll have to check later

found it in the manual, you have to select “Use No Master Keyboard” in the preferences if you want to lock it to a device. other control surfaces shouldn't present a problem. pg 596 if you wanna go deeper

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
Welp.. almost done the nasoalmo.org challenge (an album in November). I decided to do a John Dowland cover for the album, because why not?

I still need song titles and a name for the album, but the music is essentially done.

Edit: It's done. https://spacehoers.bandcamp.com/album/spleen-of-green

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 17, 2022

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Took me a bit to get used to the UI, but I like Reaper now. Cheap, the same across OS's, and gets to the point. Just wish the VST ui display was more cleanly integrated with the main DAW view but it's very possible I just haven't found the option for that.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

came here to shamelessly shill that we are doing a livestream in like 30 minutes of some krautrock jams and space rock and experimental ambient and absolutely no talking

here on bandcamp https://trenthawkins.bandcamp.com/live/telecharger-livestream-77 (but also a twitch link is in the description)

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

4lokos basilisk posted:

came here to shamelessly shill that we are doing a livestream in like 30 minutes of some krautrock jams and space rock and experimental ambient and absolutely no talking

here on bandcamp https://trenthawkins.bandcamp.com/live/telecharger-livestream-77 (but also a twitch link is in the description)

[CENSORED] I missed this. Your live streams are really good, and I wish I could have seen this one live.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

im_sorry posted:

[CENSORED] I missed this. Your live streams are really good, and I wish I could have seen this one live.

hey thanks! i had no idea anyone was really watching them and even enjoying them. really glad to hear that

i just set up next week's stream so you can have plenty of early warning https://trenthawkins.bandcamp.com/merch/telecharger-livestream-78

edit: and you can listen to the last one here https://soundcloud.com/trent-hawkins/telecharger-livestream-77

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
discovered moises tonight

tried it out

amazing. bought a month.

got inspired, fired up cubase

did a remix. rough but super fun. might have the bug again.

https://voca.ro/147hVS9W4n0U

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

discovered moises tonight

tried it out

amazing. bought a month.

got inspired, fired up cubase

did a remix. rough but super fun. might have the bug again.

https://voca.ro/147hVS9W4n0U

Hell yeah. I was just reading about moises the other day; if it really does what it says on the tin I might have to try this out.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Dukes Mayo Clinic posted:

Hell yeah. I was just reading about moises the other day; if it really does what it says on the tin I might have to try this out.

you get a little bit of watery high end on complex stuff but it's still as close to magic as i've ever seen

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
yeah i feel skeptical of this sort of thing but if it really works it could be fun to play with

esp bc right now i'm feeling pretty stuck & remixing stuff is always a fun way to bypass writer's block

also if anyone here has poo poo they want remixed it seems to be what i do best & again i'm stuck lately otherwise

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you can stem out five tracks a month with a freebie account. give it a shot

im goin pretty hogge wilde with it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ok i finished it

lol its so loud

https://soundcloud.com/jonny290/vision-290-rework

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

is this just spleeter again? the icons in the app look like the spleeter 5stems model instruments

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
think so yeah

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

we did another live stream yesterday https://soundcloud.com/trent-hawkins/telecharger-livestream-78?in=trent-hawkins/sets/tcorporation-x-thawkins-live

putting a keyboard on a stand so i can play standing up is pretty cool, i will have to figure out a more permanent and less wobbly and janky way to do this

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

this is lovely! <3 me some krautrock

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

MSPain posted:

this is lovely! <3 me some krautrock

nice! glad you like it. we'll skip next week since i am out of town, but back on the 6th of dec. i love my lockdown project

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

You jerk, you need to post this *before* you perform, so I can tune in. :P I need inspiration for when I eventually start doing something like this.

Anyways, I thought I was done making music for the month, but then this happened: https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/the-hormelian-loop-motivator-engine

A stupid track needs an appropriately stupid name.

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 24, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i exercised my Premiere muscles a little bit and did a video for that remix

just practicing editing and timestretching the original but added some clips for filler in the extended bits, etc.

it's copyright struck in russia but nowhere else, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vapw5-IkQC8

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

this weekend’s track

https://on.soundcloud.com/BbEdmsngX23GLjHr9

ends abruptly and weirdly because i got sick of working on it

key is A minor pentatonic with some out-of-scale notes here and there, structure is lol who knows, genre is ??? my best guess is “tracker music”.

i can hear the seeds of good in this. i can tap my feet to it, i can enjoy it, but I don’t get understand it. it’s pretty formless, and doesn’t have a specific goal or something that it “should“ be. appropriate, i suppose

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Pollyanna posted:

i can hear the seeds of good in this. i can tap my feet to it, i can enjoy it, but I don’t get understand it. it’s pretty formless, and doesn’t have a specific goal or something that it “should“ be. appropriate, i suppose

It is what it is, and I have no idea what genre it would be either. But I know I like it.

I have a similar issue... I have no idea what genre I fit in, but I keep making it.

Here's a couple more dumb tracks.

https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/a-fat-cat-ate-my-lasaga

https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/celestial-afterimage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

yay thank ye :3: lasaga has some dope beat fuckery going on towards the middle, it's v funkable imo

c music status all music'd out today. not getting much from vcv atm and i have no ideas. i should try making music in a genre i'd never consider