Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CACHE MANIFEST
Sep 17, 2022

mystes posted:

Feeling cute, might deprecate TLS later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

given that a lot of symmetric encryption is hardware accelerated (those bluray discs use AES), and is highly secure (even vs quantum computing, if you use aes-256), there is little to no reason to use anything else unless you have :tinfoil: opinions about nist approved encryption.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

nice thx for the actual info here before we found out...

kitten smoothie posted:

https://twitter.com/jmhodges/status/1594406819249721344

it stands for "timeline service" according to someone who worked at twitter 2009-2014 per their linkedin
:lol:, :lmao:

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

mystes posted:

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I find it so bizarre that they're publicly tweeting about so much internal stuff.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
everything is very slowly catching fire around them and no one knows who even works there anymore. it's possible the people responsible for off-boarding, themselves, have been sacked. it's almost certainly an opsec nightmare.

i look forward to more internal stories as severances are paid (or not, as the case may be)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

azurite posted:

I find it so bizarre that they're publicly tweeting about so much internal stuff.
it's important to be seen doing something

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

everything is very slowly catching fire around them and no one knows who even works there anymore. it's possible the people responsible for off-boarding, themselves, have been sacked. it's almost certainly an opsec nightmare.

i look forward to more internal stories as severances are paid (or not, as the case may be)

didn’t people say the staff responsible for office keycards got sacked, resulting in a brief lockout

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

cinci zoo sniper posted:

didn’t people say the staff responsible for office keycards got sacked, resulting in a brief lockout

they did do a mass-lockout, but no, that was a joke

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Beeftweeter posted:

they did do a mass-lockout, but no, that was a joke

ah, i had a suspicion that it was sounding a bit too good

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

apparently some danish scientists did a quantum encryption of a video signal that detects tampering/eavesdropping

requires direct fiber connection though, so not very practical

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

apparently some danish scientists did a quantum encryption of a video signal that detects tampering/eavesdropping

i thought they got quantum encryption up to 10mbits/sec like a decade ago (again, over a direct fiber connection) which would be more than enough for a reasonable video signal

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hell i think reading about that was what got me into cryptography in the first place, when i was fifteen

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hmm I guess the news is they're selling a chip

https://sparrowquantum.com/

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

hmm I guess the news is they're selling a chip

https://sparrowquantum.com/

ah that makes more sense, i def remember that the thing i read about way back when was very much just research equipment at a university somewhere demonstrating it was technologically possible

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

idk if i came off hostile or what in my reply but reading it again it kinda sounds a little hostile so i wanna clarify something: i was mostly just weirdly excited, because you posting that actually reminded me of the thing from years ago, and of how reading about that specific experiment really was the thing that got me into cryptography. brought back a lot of memories i had forgotten :3:

after reading about that i wrote my own UNHACKABLE ENCRYPTION PROGRAM!!! that would just xor text with whatever else you supplied as key material, which i'm sure plenty of people here did when they were younger, but i feel that mine was extra special because i didn't know how to, y'know, manipulate bytes and bits at all at this point, so i made my own "binary" encoding scheme and had a look-up table that would translate letters, numbers, and a few punctuation marks into (i think 6-bit?) "binary", and by binary i mean arrays of 6 integers that each either stored the number 1 or the number 0 :allears:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hehe don't worry about it

before I understood binary, I filled out squares on graph paper from c64 sprites to figure out where the numbers came from, and I think I got pretty close to brute forcing it before I found a description somewhere lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Carthag Tuek posted:

hehe don't worry about it

before I understood binary, I filled out squares on graph paper from c64 sprites to figure out where the numbers came from, and I think I got pretty close to brute forcing it before I found a description somewhere lol
          /

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yeah i was around 10

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Carthag Tuek posted:

yeah i was around 10

tbh i wish i had even 1/3 as interesting computer origin story as you do, but bruteforcing binary as kid does mesh well with the eyes of your av

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

can we all share our origin stories

I shoulder sniped the password to the school library circulation system in 4th grade and checked out a microfiche machine as the assistant principal

This was the moment I knew I never wanted to be a computer toucher

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

much like im a j4g on sa, im j4g irl and did just play homm2/3, civ3 with dad, who eventually figured out that i can reinstall windows on my own. then around 7th grade i began hosting private mmo servers to fail to be a cool kid in class lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Shaggar posted:

going back to 1990s terrible german software is why the GDPR exists. its protectionist, anti-american garbage.

:whatup:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Shaggar posted:

its protectionist, anti-american garbage.

you say it like it's a bad thing

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

redleader posted:

you say it like it's a bad thing

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Never forget: a secure one-time-pad with xor encryption is unhackable.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

reminder that shaggar thinks that character encodings other than ASCII shouldn't be supported by anything and that those funny foreigners should just change their alphabets instead

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Carthag Tuek posted:

One of the recent G20 in Trieste had a demo of a quantum videoconference in-between Lubiana, Fiume/Rijeka and Trieste (using a direct fiber connection). Sponsored by TIM-Sparkle.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

We don't have PII data in 365, we keep that in a dedicated local silo with purview actively hunting for erroneous data uploads. Which is what any sane people should do rather than cloud lift everything and then making such a racket afterwards.
Cool, who's attesting that?

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
https://github.com/safing/portmaster

Does anyone know this? Is it useful?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ephex posted:

https://github.com/safing/portmaster

Does anyone know this? Is it useful?

Just looks like a Host based Firewall that is Application specific.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SlowBloke posted:

We don't have PII data in 365, we keep that in a dedicated local silo with purview actively hunting for erroneous data uploads. Which is what any sane people should do rather than cloud lift everything and then making such a racket afterwards.

you definitely have a shitload of PII in 365

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

the four word summary of gdpr right here

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

evil_bunnY posted:

Microsoft purview does understand all the PII data we elaborate minus one type(which we manage/hunt for using a different method that will dox me 100% if i explain it here). As it is it will trigger quarantine pretty much immediately and all audits of the 365 groups/personal onedrive used by the staffers that handle pii have shown no leaks.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

shame on an IGA posted:

I shoulder sniped the password to the school library circulation system in 4th grade and checked out a microfiche machine as the assistant principal

I built my first computer in 1986 and its been downhill ever since.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

Microsoft purview does understand all the PII data we elaborate minus one type(which we manage/hunt for using a different method that will dox me 100% if i explain it here). As it is it will trigger quarantine pretty much immediately and all audits of the 365 groups/personal onedrive used by the staffers that handle pii have shown no leaks.
actually amazing.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

shame on an IGA posted:

my parents signed me up for a college class on how to use email in 1993
e: might have been '92

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

shame on an IGA posted:

Ran a cat5 cable from the switch in the temporary building in highschool across the street to my friend's house so we could play counterstrike off the school T3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

shame on an IGA posted:

made a dos boot disk that would enable/disable fortress (windows 95 lockdown software), sold copies to students and teachers alike.

tl;dr some kids started swapping out logo.sys and it led to my explusion in junior year of high school