Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Jenny Agutter posted:

why on earth would playing games also force you to listen to a certain group of people?

i just needed general info on “what games exist in 2022”

and its like four things:

-twee indie game ive never heard of
-franchise that has been running since i exited games
- gatcha game but X
- remake of beloved childhood game

things i wanted to happen since i left gaming in 2007 but apparently didn’t:

- new joystick designs. not a lot of non sim plane/mech games in general. the hotas i had in 2007 is still basically the best choice which is wild
- casual sports games ala NFL Blitz and NBA Jam. which fortunately exist on the switch but thats basically it
- alpha centauri 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

hands down coolest feature of modern gaming ive found since my return: i plugged my xbox controller straight into my tv and i can steamlink flawlessly. so instead of sitting at my computer like a dweeb i sat on my couch playing elden ring and witcher 3.

poo poo rules

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

my friend, play golf story if you haven't. and sports story is coming out soon

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Golf story is fun yeah

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

golf story is great but might fall into twee indie territory

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

golf story falls into the “very early switch indie game that probably got more attention than it deserved because there were so few games on the switch at the time but also still is a very good game in its own right and is still worth playing today” category

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Casual Encountess posted:

i just needed general info on “what games exist in 2022”

and its like four things:

-twee indie game ive never heard of
-franchise that has been running since i exited games
- gatcha game but X
- remake of beloved childhood game

things i wanted to happen since i left gaming in 2007 but apparently didn’t:

- new joystick designs. not a lot of non sim plane/mech games in general. the hotas i had in 2007 is still basically the best choice which is wild
- casual sports games ala NFL Blitz and NBA Jam. which fortunately exist on the switch but thats basically it
- alpha centauri 2

no man's sky turning out to be actually good is probably the biggest surprise of the last decade

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

hands down coolest feature of modern gaming ive found since my return: i plugged my xbox controller straight into my tv and i can steamlink flawlessly. so instead of sitting at my computer like a dweeb i sat on my couch playing elden ring and witcher 3.

poo poo rules

yeah this rules, big fan of steamlink here

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

The Fool posted:

no man's sky turning out to be actually good is probably the biggest surprise of the last decade

tell me more. i remember the announce and nothing else

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol at the official STARDEW VALLEY merch of 'Grandpa's lovely Bed'

https://www.fangamer.com/products/grandpas-bed-stardew-valley

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The game had an absolutely garbage launch, lacked content, buggy, performance issues, etc. They could have thrown in the towel and no-one would have blamed them.

Instead, over the last 6 years they have release update after update after update. They added base building, re-tooled the storyline, next-gen graphics, underwater areas, additional planet types, expanded multiplayer, expedition events, and a ton more. All for free.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

they released it well below expectations, but then they buckled down and have been working on it continuously ever since. it now has vastly more features and variety than it used to. a storyline, base building, seasonal quests, fleet management, spoopy derelicts, pets, weather (with more depth than “the screen turns a color and your health ticks down”), surface vehicles, multiplayer, VR capability, and a ton more poo poo I can’t even think of

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://youtu.be/O5BJVO3PDeQ

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Waypoint update is the most recent and corresponded with a release on the Switch. It has a bunch of QoL updates and they re-tooled the new player experience.

Amazingly, it actually has acceptable performance (imo) on the switch but a disappointing lack of multiplayer.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Improbable Lobster posted:

i like books. i don't game nearly as often as i used to but that's mostly because i'm not unemployeed anymore

don't read books, play video games

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
one thing I struggle with in games with procedural world building is something like a sense of.. idk .. knowing it’s not something shared with other people?

depends on the game. doesn’t bother me with rimworld or civilisation

but if say skyrim or rear end freed or GTA was somehow procedural so every play thru was different I wouldnt like it as much

there’s something to be said for experiencing something great that other people have too. and this kind of puts me off NMS because i’m not sure how into a world I can get when I know it’s not shared. a bit like it feels inconsequential.

then again i’m talking about a video game lmao

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Procedural games are often boring because it's hard to make unique stuff that isn't tailored by a person

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep posted:

eeeh. yeah, maybe not then.

dude is being a bummer on rimworld

yeah it’s a time sink but it’s worth experiencing imo.

it’s a colony building simulator but .. it’s all the small things that make it enjoyable

there’s a reason it’s in like the top ten highest voted games of all time on steam and has one of the highest average playtimes of any game. is that because it’s addictive? maybe lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lmao

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

nms does procedural at scale well

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

echinopsis posted:

it’s a colony building simulator but .. it’s all the small things that make it enjoyable

there’s a reason it’s in like the top ten highest voted games of all time on steam and has one of the highest average playtimes of any game. is that because it’s addictive? maybe lol

it's a colony builder, but a "story generator" according to the dev.

i sort of understand what he means by that. since you're encouraged to play on ironman and just roll with it. every run does turn out differently like that. rimworld is also sort of a game where you can tell a story about how your colony was destroyed/successful and it will likely be unique and understandable to other players

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

echinopsis posted:

there’s something to be said for experiencing something great that other people have too. and this kind of puts me off NMS because i’m not sure how into a world I can get when I know it’s not shared. a bit like it feels inconsequential.

nms's entire conceit is that you can find planets discovered by other people, and it will tell you in the game ui

you can also get portal coordinates that for specific worlds and share them online: https://portalrepository.com/

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the narrative of roguelike generation lies in playing a hundred games and in aggregate having a comparable (even if different) experience to others. echi is right that for games that more revolve around a single run it often feels a bit hollow to not have it be a thoroughly authored experience.

nms is afaict about just making things noticeably gigantic, but tbh i am not sure it wouldn't have been as cool to create the illusion of the same by authoring the content.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 29, 2022

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

President Beep posted:

kenny, i forget that you know about my dad’s garage friends and always shocking in this very funny way when you bring it up.

can you tell this garage friend story again for the other folks in class?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jenny Agutter posted:

why on earth would playing games also force you to listen to a certain group of people?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

echinopsis posted:

The game is fantastic if you use it like a story simulator e.g. you have a group of colonists each with their own perks and personalities. I really liked CK2 for the same reason, it's story building around people.

Pete Complete does a good job with this in his videos. I am not nearly as good as him though. V_V

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

echinopsis posted:

one thing I struggle with in games with procedural world building is something like a sense of.. idk .. knowing it’s not something shared with other people?

depends on the game. doesn’t bother me with rimworld or civilisation

but if say skyrim or rear end freed or GTA was somehow procedural so every play thru was different I wouldnt like it as much

same here and part of it for me too is knowing a person somewhere snuck something cool into a small corner of a game and i just happened to notice or find it

morrowind had a lot of this - I remember finding the coolest sword in a cave but it wasn’t in an obvious place like a chest, it was stuck on a ledge that was completely out of view and you’d only find if you were dicking around and just happened to climb near there. then oblivion came out and had levelled item drops, so by end game, sewer goblins were dropping mithril armor and it just completely ruined the magic. of course you could install the mod that disabled levelled drops but it just wasn’t the same

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

polyester concept posted:

same here and part of it for me too is knowing a person somewhere snuck something cool into a small corner of a game and i just happened to notice or find it

morrowind had a lot of this - I remember finding the coolest sword in a cave but it wasn’t in an obvious place like a chest, it was stuck on a ledge that was completely out of view and you’d only find if you were dicking around and just happened to climb near there. then oblivion came out and had levelled item drops, so by end game, sewer goblins were dropping mithril armor and it just completely ruined the magic. of course you could install the mod that disabled levelled drops but it just wasn’t the same

elden ring was successful for exactly this reason

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
I mean, I have a sneaking suspicion some of the side content (mainly the catacomb dungeons) were either intended to be procedural or were created procedurally then set seeds were used in the final game but yeah for the most part it's really good about that kind of world design.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

the catacombs especially felt cookie cutter but they at least obviously went through them and added little unique details afterwards even if it’s true they were generated

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

can you tell this garage friend story again for the other folks in class?

my dad is this hippy/biker dude from way back, and most of his friends are these sad, marginal types who are always drunk and have been living on borrowed time since the early 90s. growing up my dad and his crew were always partying, playing euchre, and whatnot, generally misbehaving. mom forbid this behavior the house, along with its perpetrators. this is how they came to be known as “garage friends”, as opposed to company that wasn’t functioning on little more than drunken impulse.

rodney, ivan, junk man brian, eddie, etc. a sad, if generally good natured, motley crew of desperate, addled souls lol.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
junk man brian lost his license decades ago, so he’d just go everywhere on a four wheeler. also lived in a house with three walls. wonder if he’s still alive. been a long time since I’ve experienced him.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
a triangular house, or a house that normally has more than three walls but has some missing?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

the latter

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

ivan fought in vietnam and swore that if he made it back alive he was just going to be drunk forever. as of 2005 or so he was making good on that pledge. :patriot:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i had a good friend like that when i worked in the lube shop. poor guy had been in prison for many years because of drugs. he was at least 15 years older than me, could drink more beer than anyone, was really good at pool, and was the funniest person i've ever met. one time i had to go to his house to wake him up for work and his entire living room and kitchen was a sea of empty beer cans. lost track of him, hope he's doing well.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

polyester concept posted:

the catacombs especially felt cookie cutter but they at least obviously went through them and added little unique details afterwards even if it’s true they were generated

Elden ring had some great catacombs, the extremely confusing one with several identical vertically stacked levels will stick with me

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad

Jenny Agutter posted:

Elden ring had some great catacombs, the extremely confusing one with several identical vertically stacked levels will stick with me

Yeah that one and the ones with the big gently caress off chariots were good but most of the other ones were highly eh. The one with the lights was pretty good too. Think the problem was mainly just enemy variety, those little goblin guys got waaaaay overused through the whole game I think.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

RIP Ciaphas, bled out because none the other colonists tried to save you.

We did have a nice little funeral for you though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe