Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, I don't know whether to read that as Ford's direct manipulations, or whether to read that as a level of sentience that Leonardo Nam's character was incapable of grappling with and therefore had to blame on an outside actor-- though I'm inclined to believe the former.
They really easily could have gone "poo poo, Ford's programming ran really, really deep, but all the new stuff, all this? It was written by Maeve" kind of thing.

Then she serves as a philosophical counter to Deloris. Deloris evolved through pain and suffering, Maeve through Love and Devotion (and suffering).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

I know you're joking, but I'm gonna' pop off anyway because I loves me a rant.

My propensity to "it's just a little slimy! It's still good!" my way through the poo poo years of a show I previously loved that ultimately wastes my time and emotional investment is actually a reason why I *shouldn't* trust those people ever again.

I'm not rewarding those fucks and I'm certainly not leaving myself open to yet another crushing disappointment.

So far I have liked the Peripheral. It's based on a book, so that helps too. But so was the Rings of Power and that was a disaster. The first season isnt done yet.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

I said come in! posted:

So far I have liked the Peripheral. It's based on a book, so that helps too. But so was the Rings of Power and that was a disaster. The first season isnt done yet.
Rings of Power wasn't really based on a book, just the appendices at the back of the book.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Rings of Power wasn't really based on a book, just the appendices at the back of the book.

Fair! I knew it was based on the appendices. Amazon paid 250 million dollars for just that bit.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Fair! I knew it was based on the appendices. Amazon paid 250 million dollars for just that bit.

Tolkien estate is just lolling.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

I AM GRANDO posted:

By the third season, I have no idea who half the actors are playing. When Maeve makes a ninja strike team of recognizable hosts from the previous seasons, are they copies of the old personalities? Are they completely new personalities that Maeve made? It’s never clear, even though the ones who live retire to Mexico like old world-weary spies.

I like a show that can be a showcase for the actors, but there’s no suggestion who they’re supposed to be playing half the time. Was Hale a version of Dolores who became a power-mad dictator? Then why does she act like a cartoony version of Hale? Is the Dolores who was a staff writer for New York World the Dolores from season three with missing memories, or is the actor playing a completely different character? What was the Man in Black? Wouldn’t a copy of Dolores inhabiting the body of a guy she hates act differently from a more cartoony season-one Ed Harris? Why does Clementine have a personality for a single scene where she kills the remainder of the cast, quipping like she’s Arnold in Commando or Freddy Krueger or something? And what was she when she had no personality in every other episode that season?
Yeah, I watched the show one or two episodes at a time, broken up over months, and by the third season I couldn't keep track of who was who and had no real understanding of what was happening or why.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, I watched the show one or two episodes at a time, broken up over months, and by the third season I couldn't keep track of who was who and had no real understanding of what was happening or why.
You'd have had the same reaction if you marathoned it and paid rapt attention.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Maeve being totally pre written does make her cringe inducing, progressively more out of place quips make more sense.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I just hate that they wasted Maeve. She should have been a foil to Delores, or they could have leaned into the mystery of what she was supposed to do on the mainland...but they just did nothing instead.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

She was the loving co-protagonist. I can't *believe* how they treated her.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
It wasn’t just Maeve. I couldn’t follow the continuity of any of the characters by the third season. It was fine to bring back an actor a different version of a character after they died, but it felt like they did that to every character. Any characters the same consciousness by the end of the show? I bailed at the end of the third season.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It was definitely tricky to remember who was supposed to be who by the end.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
By S3 it’s all Dolores all the way down...

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah I mean they literally killed EVERYONE but Delores I don’t know what the gently caress s5 was even supposed to be or why I was supposed to care

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't want to know what Season 5 was suppose to be, and don't care. I felt that Season 4 was mostly easy to follow. Charlotte was the evil side of Delores, the real Charlotte died in season 2, her body was replicated, and a part of Delores was put into that body, who then went on take over the human race and enslaved them through a virus that was put into flies.

If people have any questions, I can answer questions and give a run down of Season 4, because I feel like I mostly understood what happened.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What happened to those ascended robots? What was special about them anyway

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Who was Clementine at the end? Why was she so gleeful hacking everybody apart and doing wisecracks like Arnold in Commando?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
They were all hosts built off Hale Dolores's code.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Everybody you cared about is dead and now they're all copies of another person you cared about who's also dead, and they're all at odds with each other for vague reasons and you'll need to go to a message board to ask who they are and why everything's happening wait where did our viewers go?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Wow, who would have guessed that robot sentience based on shoddy 2-line coding, birthed in the absolute excesses of human hedonism and depravity, would turn out to be monsters.

Really Makes you think I guess.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Teddy was ok.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Still don't know which way the train was going...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zzulu posted:

If I remember correctly they all went to that simulation at the dam. Charlotte wanted them all to go into this freaky looking robots though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Anonymous Zebra posted:

They were all hosts built off Hale Dolores's code.

Yep, which is a massive amount of trauma because Dolores has been around since before Westworlds creation.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
I'm tired of being told that suffering is what makes me sentient by people that get to make TV shows for a living. gently caress off! We need more communist writers that get to just say "yes everything sucks for basically no real reason" so we can get some real utopian science fiction where the problems are externalities. Existence itself doesn't need to be an endless drama factory of self-proof. This show is so annoying!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jorge Bell posted:

I'm tired of being told that suffering is what makes me sentient by people that get to make TV shows for a living. gently caress off! We need more communist writers that get to just say "yes everything sucks for basically no real reason" so we can get some real utopian science fiction where the problems are externalities. Existence itself doesn't need to be an endless drama factory of self-proof. This show is so annoying!

Yeah, I was hoping for some counter-arguments/different AI in season 3, but they never came. Of course Ford, the amoral capitalist engineer literally named after Henry Ford would believe that endless suffering is an overall good that lets you bootstrap into a higher class if you're special enough.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Bezos cancelled the Culture show because of how heinous the LotR budget became

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Yeah, I was hoping for some counter-arguments/different AI in season 3, but they never came. Of course Ford, the amoral capitalist engineer literally named after Henry Ford would believe that endless suffering is an overall good that lets you bootstrap into a higher class if you're special enough.

Isn't there a brief moment when Dolores is communicating with one of the algorithm/globe/God AIs where it basically tells her that as machines modeled after humans all of the Hosts are ultimately flawed doomed creatures to which it feels no kinship whatsoever? I always thought that was actually a pretty deep moment, where a true Singularity-level AI just kind of LOLs at the idea of the Hosts.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That's Zahn McClarnon's character talking to Bernard, from memory. He tells him he's only taken on his old form and deigned to talk to Bernard on such a basic level out of a sense of obligation/nostalgia for their origins. They've all ascended so far beyond their original states and have absolutely no concern about whatever the gently caress the humans and Delores and her hosts want to get up to on... what was it called again? That thing...... uhhh.... snurf? No, earth! That was it! Earth!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Jerusalem posted:

That's Zahn McClarnon's character talking to Bernard, from memory. He tells him he's only taken on his old form and deigned to talk to Bernard on such a basic level out of a sense of obligation/nostalgia for their origins. They've all ascended so far beyond their original states and have absolutely no concern about whatever the gently caress the humans and Delores and her hosts want to get up to on... what was it called again? That thing...... uhhh.... snurf? No, earth! That was it! Earth!

This was the point where I realized "oh this season is just a much shittier 'the matrix'"

It did make me laugh that what was a semi-interesting cliffhanger (in the context of the constant attempts this show makes) of ole j wright covered in dust in the headset ended up with such a lame payoff.

the series rock bottom for me:

ed harris monologuing to ed harris. every minute of that interaction was 100% cringe

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 21, 2022

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Zzulu posted:

They don’t have arms, so they went full toilet flamingo when the humans went berserk.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, that bit never sat well with me. Mainly because it smacked of Ayn Rand FanFic. "We all escaped to this server farm where we are free to be our best possible selves." with no mention of hardware failure, or who is maintaining this playground. It was Galt's Gulch for AI.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

theflyingexecutive posted:

Bezos cancelled the Culture show because of how heinous the LotR budget became
Wait what?

Goddamnit.

--edit:
Internet says Iain Banks' estate pulled the plug. "Timing wasn't right", whatever the gently caress that's supposed to mean.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

rich thick and creamy posted:

Yeah, that bit never sat well with me. Mainly because it smacked of Ayn Rand FanFic. "We all escaped to this server farm where we are free to be our best possible selves." with no mention of hardware failure, or who is maintaining this playground. It was Galt's Gulch for AI.

That issue of hardware maintenance is a gnawing gripe I had with the otherwise stellar San Junipero episode of Black Mirror.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I assumed that a workforce of the blank hosts would be left extant to maintain the physical integrity of the server farm and the planet supporting it. Eventually, the blank host hive minds pulls a Paperclip Singularity and envelopes half the galaxy, destroying countless alien civilizations, to power this stupid loving virtual playground.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I had more feelings about your paperclip maximizer just now than I had throughout the whole of Season 4.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

LividLiquid posted:

I had more feelings about your paperclip maximizer just now than I had throughout the whole of Season 4.

At least an ironic twist is an ending.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I had assumed (and this is pure assumption, not stated anywhere in the show itself) that the original hosts who uploaded to the human-free space had also basically moved on/evolved past that hardware space but still kept a connection to it again purely out of nostalgia/vague curiosity for any of the remaining hosts who might try to reach out and/or similarly evolve. If the hardware there failed, they had already found some new, indistinguishable from magic scientific breakthrough where they could continue to exist in some other form as pure data or radio waves or light or something crazy like that, and it would just be a door closing (and only for the other side, they'd still be able to reach out if they had any desire to, which they probably wouldn't).

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Jerusalem posted:

I had assumed (and this is pure assumption, not stated anywhere in the show itself) that the original hosts who uploaded to the human-free space had also basically moved on/evolved past that hardware space but still kept a connection to it again purely out of nostalgia/vague curiosity for any of the remaining hosts who might try to reach out and/or similarly evolve. If the hardware there failed, they had already found some new, indistinguishable from magic scientific breakthrough where they could continue to exist in some other form as pure data or radio waves or light or something crazy like that, and it would just be a door closing (and only for the other side, they'd still be able to reach out if they had any desire to, which they probably wouldn't).
Isn’t that how Her ended?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I haven't actually seen Her, so.... v:shobon:v