Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

Zahn's continued insistence that all of his books, regardless of which continuity they were released into, all all canonical to each other bemuses me. You go, bud

Yeah, I find it funny too, but it handcuffs him. It's the reason he has to keep making prequels, because he can never move forward in his story, otherwise he'd step on his holy trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, I find it funny too, but it handcuffs him. It's the reason he has to keep making prequels, because he can never move forward in his story, otherwise he'd step on his holy trilogy.
At some point I’d like them to let some select authors write Legends material once in a while.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Casimir Radon posted:

At some point I’d like them to let some select authors write Legends material once in a while.
Enjoy!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

There was the continuation of the original 1980s Marvel comics a few years ago, too. Even included a few of the artists from the original Marvel run.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Casimir Radon posted:

You mean as in add to the Star Wars Legend canon currently? Maintain two lines of canon for Disney Star Wars?

I mean, Marvel already manages two separate canons all the time with their Prime vs. 616 Universes in the comics. I think a "Star Wars: What if" or "Star Wars Legends" cartoon series would be a big hit and get Disney back a whole lot of goodwill the sequel trilogy poo-pooed away, but I think Disney would never go for it as it would be admitting maybe they made some missteps in handling the property.

Continuing to read Allegiance. It's not bad, I like seeing an author handle the early relationships between the OT trio, where they are still rough around the edges and wary of each other, rather than old friends and married. Lolled at the part where Mara Jade runs into Darth Vader in a library though, just doesn't seem like something Darth Vader would due, surely he has his own computers in his own castles to do all the google searching he needs?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

quote:

Cal Kestis has built a new life for himself with the crew of the Stinger Mantis. Together, Cal’s crew has brought down bounty hunters, defeated Inquisitors, and even evaded Darth Vader himself. More importantly, Merrin, Cere, Greez, and faithful droid BD-1 are the closest thing Cal has had to a family since the fall of the Jedi Order. Even as the galaxy’s future grows more uncertain by the day, with each blow struck against the Empire, the Mantis crew grows more daring.

On what should be a routine mission, they meet a stormtrooper determined to chart her own course with the help of Cal and the crew. In exchange for help starting a new life, the Imperial deserter brings word of a powerful, potentially invaluable tool for their fight against the Empire. And even better, she can help them get to it. The only catch — pursuing it will bring them into the path of one of the Empire’s most dangerous servants, the Inquisitor known as the Fifth Brother.

Can the Imperial deserter truly be trusted? And while Cal and his friends have survived run-ins with the Inquisitors before, how many times can they evade the Empire before their luck runs out?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I need to get around to finish playing Fallen Order sometime.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
He's going to go to Cloud City and turn on the emergency fallen guy sucker upper so that Luke can fulfill his destiny.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I feel like when you've killed one Inquisitor, "redeemed" another, and survived a fight with Vader then really the rest of the Inquisitors shouldn't bother you all that much :shrug:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Where do Fallen Order and Andor line up on the timeline?

Obviously Andor's not the kind of show where Cal can just pop in and start slicing up stormtroopers, but it would have been funny if (Andor spoilers) when Luthen was telling Saw he needed to burn his source, Saw was like gently caress that, I'll call up my ginger Jedi friend and that Imperial ambush is gonna get murdered

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

ninjahedgehog posted:

Fallen Order is about a decade before (14 BBY vs 5 BBY).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ninjahedgehog posted:

Andor is 5 BBY, Fallen Order is 14 BBY (with the sequel set 9 BBY, around the time of Kenobi and just after Solo).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Speaking of Outbound Flight earlier here, it and Survivor's Quest (along with Republic Commando: Triple Zero and Old Republic: Fatal Alliance) were announced as being part of the next Essential Legends line. Gives credence to the rumors Thrawn will be a major figure in the Ahsoka show.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
drat, no wraith squadron. I wonder if the first four rouge books were greenlit when Jenkins' film was still in active development

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
I recently read the second nuThrawn book and I kinda liked the parts where it's just a Thrawn/Darth Vader buddy cop movie.

Also that Anakin was always a dumbass and that Padme shot a guy in the nuts with a grappling hook.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

drat, no wraith squadron. I wonder if the first four rouge books were greenlit when Jenkins' film was still in active development

I hadn’t thought of that, but it makes a lot of sense.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Chairman Capone posted:

Speaking of Outbound Flight earlier here, it and Survivor's Quest (along with Republic Commando: Triple Zero and Old Republic: Fatal Alliance) were announced as being part of the next Essential Legends line. Gives credence to the rumors Thrawn will be a major figure in the Ahsoka show.

What's "Essential Legends"? Stories that they are going to adapt?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Essential Legends are just the current reprints of popular EU books to differentiate them from Disney Canon.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
They're specifically reprinted in trade paperback format, wider and taller than standard mass market, and feature fancy new cover art.

Kinda a curated collection of iconic or particularly "important" stories like the Thrawn trilogy

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They’re also going back and recording unabridged audiobooks for them. Typically the old audiobooks would be seriously cut down to fit on a couple cassettes, so 3 hours long. Uncut these stories can run 10+ hours.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

And while they're probably not going to be adapted straight, a lot of them do seem to tie in (even just thematically) to canon stuff that's getting released, like re-releasing Kenobi a month before the Obi-Wan show, or reprinting a lot of Old Republic era stuff to go along with the High Republic era they've established and the KOTOR remake.

They've also avoided publishing anything that specifically steps on the toes of the new canon. Nothing they've announced has been set any later in the timeline than the Thrawn Trilogy, and the rest is stuff that doesn't really contradict the canon in a meaningful way. So we probably won't see anything from the New Jedi Order onwards, despite those books being pretty Essential in terms of creating the Legends timeline.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

They’re also going back and recording unabridged audiobooks for them. Typically the old audiobooks would be seriously cut down to fit on a couple cassettes, so 3 hours long. Uncut these stories can run 10+ hours.

Wait, which books are getting this treatment? I remember those lovely abridgements from back in the day and the fact they might be doing unabridged Legends audio in the 2020s is something I never even dreamed of.

If you wanted unabridged SW books back in the day, you had to get them from Library for the Blind. Which I fortunately did 'cuz, ya know, blind. Although the Darth Bane Trilogy was an "official" audiobook and the narrator was absolutely perfect. He's probably part of why people such as myself liked teh books so much.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Man I do not think these new covers are an upgrade. Yeah, the old ones are cheesy as hell, but so are the books.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bantam Era had some amazing cover art that oozed genre fiction. Early Del Rey had some decent ones too, Dark Tide Onslaught and Dark Tide Ruin wouldn't be out of place among several modern Sci fi cover artwork collections.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

https://twitter.com/starwarsfonts/status/1575929550495657984

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Wait, which books are getting this treatment? I remember those lovely abridgements from back in the day and the fact they might be doing unabridged Legends audio in the 2020s is something I never even dreamed of.

The Essential Legends line started with unabridged audiobooks of all of them, but unfortunately starting with the prior wave they seemed to have stopped with the audiobooks.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Pretty sure they’ve upgraded the audiobooks on all of them unless there was already an unabridged one. The Bacta War just got one.

I hope they continue with the Wraith books.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Wait are Krytos Trap and Bacta already out re-released? gently caress I need to get them

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

My god. It's perfect.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

thrawn527 posted:

My god. It's perfect.

Right down to having the wrong star destroyers. Those are post-Yavin Imperial II destroyers, dammit.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Just hire this guy to make book covers now that they’re either too cheap for Struzen or he lost interest.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Just hire this guy to make book covers now that they’re either too cheap for Struzen or he lost interest.

He retired after Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull. They gave him a ton of money to do one of the posters for Force Awakens, though (one which I think was maybe only available at Celebration?). I'm not 100% certain but around the time he did the TFA poster I feel like he had some health issue, maybe.

I did recently see a quote from him about enjoying getting hired to do the covers for the Bantam books. According to him, Lucas was the one who personally suggested to Bantam that he be hired to do the covers.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

He retired after Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull. They gave him a ton of money to do one of the posters for Force Awakens, though (one which I think was maybe only available at Celebration?). I'm not 100% certain but around the time he did the TFA poster I feel like he had some health issue, maybe.

I did recently see a quote from him about enjoying getting hired to do the covers for the Bantam books. According to him, Lucas was the one who personally suggested to Bantam that he be hired to do the covers.
Oh. I certainly lends them some authenticity. If you walked into a book store that only had 90s Star Wars and Star Trek book knowing nothing about either franchise, and had to choose only one. I’m sure 95% of people would walk out with a Star Wars book.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

My one annoyance with the 90s EU covers is that they only had the rights to Mark Hamill etc.'s appearances as of 1983, so they weren't allowed to age them up or even alter their outfits too much even if the book took place decades after RotJ. It's pretty lol, but kinda heartwarming, that Leia still wears the dress the Ewoks made her 30+ years later

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ninjahedgehog posted:

My one annoyance with the 90s EU covers is that they only had the rights to Mark Hamill etc.'s appearances as of 1983, so they weren't allowed to age them up or even alter their outfits too much even if the book took place decades after RotJ. It's pretty lol, but kinda heartwarming, that Leia still wears the dress the Ewoks made her 30+ years later

In the 90's, it mostly worked, I think. The problems came later, as the timeline got further along and they got older, and all they could really do was make them look waxier and like their faces were melting off their heads.

Like here, in Crucible. How this was ever approved, I'll never know.

This is criminal. All three of them look awful in their own, unique ways.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I guess the artist looked around them for old people and concluded that "botox gone wrong" was the one shared feature.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

That doesn't explain Hans hair/head situation

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Looks better than he does on the Agents of Chaos covers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Some of the development ideas for what Luke would look like in TFA are really wild after so many years of EU covers with Luke as "Mark Hamill but older." Obviously they ended up with just "OT Luke with beard" but the Art of TFA and TLJ books has stuff like Luke with a topknot, or Luke with tattoos.