Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
oh nice, i just found out my dad is like the lead project manager for a company turning old power stations into buttcoin mining facilities. should i end him now or should i hope buttcoin recovers a lil bit and then end him and collect my $3 of fake money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

literal Captain Planet villain

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

theflyingexecutive posted:

literal Captain Planet villain

yeah, it's some heinous poo poo and i tried to talk sense into him but he's like "i know it's dumb and i'm not getting paid in crypto at all but it's amazing money and you kids will be well off when i'm dead" and i'm like ok... i do like money... but as you said, it's loving unethical

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jabor posted:

I'm pretty sure that (exactly like what's being complained about), Apple wants a 30% cut of any transaction fee that gets charged for facilitating the transaction, but not a cut of the money actually transferred.

oh right that makes sense

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Large Testicles posted:

yeah, it's some heinous poo poo and i tried to talk sense into him but he's like "i know it's dumb and i'm not getting paid in crypto at all but it's amazing money and you kids will be well off when i'm dead" and i'm like ok... i do like money... but as you said, it's loving unethical

Sure, our future may be an environmental catastrophe but just think of the value created from doing so!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
at least Large Testicles already has his Mad Max wasteland gang-leader gimmick chosen for him

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
from a few days ago but Money Stuff is so good. this footnote was one of the most enjoyable parts of my week.

quote:

Over the summer, BlockFi had its own liquidity crisis, and agreed to a bailout from FTX that included a $400 million line of credit. As of early November, BlockFi had drawn $275 million of that line.

BlockFi was watching [FTX’s rapid collapse] with interest. On Tuesday the 8th, it called up FTX and, somewhat hilariously, asked to draw down the last $125 million on its credit line. FTX, unsurprisingly, said no.[3]

[3] Actually the declaration says that BlockFi “requested an additional $125 million of borrowings pursuant to the terms of the FTX Loan Agreement, which FTX did not provide.” So it’s not clear if FTX said no, or just howled incoherently into the phone, or didn’t answer the phone at all, or if BlockFi requested the money by email or text message and FTX ignored it, or what. But my assumption is that BlockFi called and said “hey so can we have the last $125 million” and FTX said “buddy read the room.”

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m listening to the latest chapo… divabot has Ben McKenzie talked to you? if so, did you ask if he can tell SBF what he likes about rich kids for all of us

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
found a nice concise timeline summary of the sbf/ftx/alameda story

quote:

- In 2017 Sam Bankman-Fried (universally referred to as SBF) started up Alameda Research, a hedge fund with a focus on crypto. Alameda does what every hedge fund does: takes money from clients and then buys and sells stuff in order to make big profits for itself and its clients.
- In 2019 SBF founded FTX, a cyptocurrency derivatives exchange. Like all exchanges, it was basically a broker for investors who wanted to buy crypto products. One investor, for example, was Alameda Research. Unlike hedge funds, however, exchanges don't gamble with customer funds; they generally make money by charging set fees for every transaction they enable.
- In 2021 SBF moved both Alameda and FTX to the Bahamas and a few months later stepped down as CEO of Alameda, leaving it in the hands of Sam Trabucco and Caroline Ellison. However, executives from both companies shared a $30 million penthouse suite in Nassau, and SBF was apparently romantically involved with Ellison.
- Sometime around 2021—the date is vague—Alameda began borrowing huge amounts of money from FTX. This was client money that was held by FTX and was not supposed to be used for trading. Alameda's collateral for the loans was a crypto token invented by FTX but not really traded anywhere. It was notionally worth $10 billion but in reality was worth roughly nothing.
- At about the same time, Alameda loaned $4.1 billion to several FTX executives, including about $3 billion to SBF alone. This is the smoking bazooka.
- In addition, Alameda enjoyed special exemptions from FTX's usual trading rules. This allowed it to lose billions of dollars before fessing up to FTX—though it's likely everyone at FTX knew about this anyway but kept quiet because they didn't want to jeopardize the loans they were getting from Alameda.
- In November 2022 Alameda's eventual $10 billion in losses (loans to FTX executives + losses from bad trades) came to light. Since these were essentially losses of FTX client money, FTX clients naturally got worried about whether their money still existed. So they all started asking for withdrawals which FTX was unable to honor.
- On November 11 FTX and Alameda filed for bankruptcy.
from: https://jabberwocking.com/a-very-brief-ftx-sbf-explainer/

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
everybody was fine when bitfinex replaced their missing money with their tether coin, why didn't people cheer when they found that ftx replaced their money with the ftx coin:confused:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/1598751885909184512

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Sam: Bankman, freed

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

e: tokengrab

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
:pwn:

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Carthag Tuek posted:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Boxturret posted:

Sam: Bankman, freed

scam, bankrupt, fraud

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

spankmeister posted:

scam, bankrupt, fraud

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

buttcoin: It was notionally worth $10 billion but in reality was worth roughly nothing.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Carthag Tuek posted:

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

one million years dungeon

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

more falafel please posted:

one billion years bankruptcy court

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

:eyepop:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

that was obviously done by that thieving bastard who just steals all his material from SA ununcredited

i blame SBF

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

divabot posted:

i blame SBF

I mean if you asked him he'd probably say it was his fault

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

qirex posted:

I mean if you asked him he'd probably say it was his fault

he might even give you mens rea.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

basically, sam did everything wrong

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Trillhouse posted:

he might even give you mens rea.

they have antibiotics for that now.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
:wrong:ed and :honked: by Diva ':gerard:' Bot.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

AlbieQuirky posted:

his mum and dad are both lawyers
this is the most expensive adolescent individuation crisis ever
the dude is the reverse Mansa Musa of “you’re not the boss of me”

due to conflict of interest they couldnt take his case

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

divabot posted:

that was obviously done by that thieving bastard who just steals all his material from SA ununcredited

i blame SBF

to answer your question in your article who Ankura represents: blockfi created an indenture for their interest-bearing accounts (and by interest, i mean that blockfi took an interest in losing as much of them as possible) and ankura is the indenture trustee, basically. basically they represent a subset of customers (it's not super clear who). all "ankura" debt is customer debt.

that said the indenture makes no sense at all and does not appear to actually do anything. it seems to be trying to construct something that will satisfy the SEC, but clearly unsuccessfully because they're trying to cargo-cult complying with securities laws not actually comply.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 3, 2022

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://twitter.com/ZekeFaux/status/1599113958199242752
:kiss:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

hey at least the colours match

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Boxturret posted:

hey at least the colours match

see this kind of thing would be a funny use of social media fuckery because you could just target crypto idiots with poo poo that tells em their super strong sporty coupe can just break that boot with a good launch, it can't stand up to all that torque, etc

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i mean, it's not like it uses the blockchain, so can this device made to stop cars really be expected to stop a car??

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

what do you mean i can't pay my parking ticket with monopoly bucks?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
he's got a point really

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1599091111087087616

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Checks out.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

wait, people were mining the death chain and it didn't get posted here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

"You can't tow my car, its on the blockchain!" :qq: