Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I watched Beast while a guy a few seats down ate an entire burrito. It just struck me that's maybe the hardest fast food to eat in the dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I once went with a family to go see Soul Plane and they brought an entire BBQ meal with them. It was pretty dope having like a whole setup coming out of 3/4 bags all in tupperware.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

87, baby.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I have an odd and probably undeserved soft spot for Angel Heart on account of the noir and De Niro’s dangerous levels of ham.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Awwwwwww yeah

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The obvious '87 pick is noted Perfect Movie, Evil Dead 2, but it also has competition in the form of Hellraiser.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Goddamnit I missed 1986

It was aliens for me.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Evil Dead 2's a good one, so's Lost Boys.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

STAC Goat posted:

As long as we’re being reasonable I think there’s probably space between “teens will worship Satan so let’s execute them” and “teens - like many adults - will cause trouble acting like kids if you give them too much rope”.

Not trusting kids at all ever full stop is what leads to the west Memphis three

You don’t have to like bend to the will of every demand but a little empathy could go a long way

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Evil Dead 2 is def my 1987

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Evil Dead 2 is the easy choice for 1987 but 1987 also has Dream Warriors and Prince of Darkness. I'mma go with Prince of Darkness though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Between Evil Dead 2, Hellraiser, and Near Dark, 1987 is a strong contender for the greatest year for horror cinema

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'd probably put Near Dark above ED2, but other movies worth having in contention include Bad Taste, Chinese Ghost Story, The Stepfather, and Opera.

Not in the running but worth mentioning are creepshow 2, house 2 the second story, lost boys, silent night deadly night 2 (garbage day!), video dead, and return to horror high.

A drat fine year.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

CelticPredator posted:

Not trusting kids at all ever full stop is what leads to the west Memphis three

You don’t have to like bend to the will of every demand but a little empathy could go a long way

To be honest I’m a little pissed off that “it’s best to bounce kids from movies or bars because in general you can’t trust them all to act responsibly so it’s not worth the risk” is being equated to me advancing satanic panic and lacking empathy. That feels histrionic as hell to me. But I guess I’m doing a terrible job communicating and I’m probably not gonna get better. So I’m just gonna withdraw and say I’m sorry if I somehow gave off “harass metalheads teenagers as satanists” vibes. I don’t know how I did but apparently I am.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 5, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Thankfully it's the law anyway to not let kids into movies or bars so it doesn't matter anyway. My problem is your post saying you dont trust kids at all. And that's the issue. Because that's literally the plot of ANOES and the message is that hey maybe listen to your kid sometimes.

People not trusting kids is what causes a lot of bad poo poo.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Thank god we’ll be in the 90s soon and can stop this as there won’t be any good horror movies for a while

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

It's weird to me to even think of kids today getting IDs checked because half the theaters around me don't even have people selling or checking tickets anymore, it's all on kiosks.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There's a person that hangs out to check your ticket so in theory if you're really young and alone seeing an r rated movie they could card you.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Lol, the real horror in 1987 was my own birth.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I think the thread should move on from talking about teens vs olds or whatever was happening there.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

MacheteZombie posted:

I think the thread should move on from talking about teens vs olds or whatever was happening there.
Waiting for page 1991 to talk about People Under The Stairs

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Come on, Arachnophobia(1990).

e;
Searching 90s horror, the movie Apt Pupil is listed. Wouldn't have thought that as horror but I guess.

Oh, and Mimic was listed also. Need to watch that again soon.

e2;
And now The Relic.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 5, 2022

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Prince of Darkness is just a cooler movie than Evil Dead 2 and its a underrated Carpenter film. That movie is totally unique.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

MariusLecter posted:

Come on, Arachnophobia(1990).

e;
Searching 90s horror, the movie Apt Pupil is listed. Wouldn't have thought that as horror but I guess.

Oh, and The Mimic was listed also. Need to watch that again soon.

I like Arachnophobia but looking at 1990 movies I think Jacob's Ladder had a bigger influence on young Medullahs horror history

Edit - Oh poo poo Tremors too

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

We still have to get through 1988 and 1989

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hollismason posted:

1988 - Child's Play
1989 - Pet Sematary

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Hollismason posted:

1988 - Hellbound! :cenobite:

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
1988 has some good ones.

Child's Play, Killer Klowns from Outer Space, Hellraiser 2 (which is one of those sequels where you enjoy it more than the original some days), The Blob remake, Brain Damage, Monkey Shines, Pumpkinhead and I'm sure I missed some.

Though this is probably where F13, Halloween and ANOES series start to decline. Though I like F13 Part 7 some don't. For the other two the decline began with their fourth entries this year (F13 would start soon after) and ended up with the slasher genre being dead by the 90s.

I'll start with this year in my post.

Edit: How did I forget that Kane Hodder's run as Jason Voorhees started this year?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Kane Hodder is overrated

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Victor Crowly just doesn't seem to have much going on. For Nu slasher icons idk. Disappointed with em. I really like a slasher that fucks with their victims a bit, and just plain enjoys what they do lol.

Jason may not emote much but I can tell he's diggin it. Jason, Freddy, Mike, Chucky, Nu pennywise, and of course ART

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Opopanax posted:

Thank god we’ll be in the 90s soon and can stop this as there won’t be any good horror movies for a while

In the 2010s and 2020s my lists would be longer than my lists for rn :ohdear:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Page 2021 is gonna be hard picking between the two hunkiest boys, PG and Gabriel.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

MacheteZombie posted:

I think the thread should move on

I apologize for my part in that, no more work stories from me from here on out.

And since I might miss pages 1988 and 89, for 88 it's a tie between Black Roses and Killer Clowns from Outer Space, and for 89, Shocker.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

1988 is p fuckin sick. Dead Heat, the Blob, beetlejuice, killer Klowns, THEY LIVE!!, Childs Play

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yes I'm sure it'll be a very exciting year, when those all come out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You think anyone saw childs play and didn’t know the doll was possessed

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

You think anyone saw childs play and didn’t know the doll was possessed

its strange they try to fake you out with andy being the killer right after the opening showed chucky putting his soul into the body that ended with a big explosion that destroyed the toy store lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
childs play rules

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I was watching Eyes of Laura Mars and there's a really really young Brad Dourif in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Eyes of Laura Mars is dope