Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Midnight suns is buggy as poo poo (it seems like a transition has like a 30% chance to just crash the game for me) but it’s fun enough that I can’t stop playing.

I have the same feeling I have with a lot of super hero games where I kinda wish the whole thing wasn’t shackled to a license. There’s no way in hell that cosmetic dlc poo poo would be in the game if the mouse wasn’t involved. I would love to see what modders could do with the combat but that’s probably not going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
XCOM2 wasn't tied to an existing outside license and sold DLC cosmetic part packs for real money.

It's much more likely that "make cosmetic DLC to sell to pad numbers" is a directive handed down from 2K rather than a demand from Disney.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

how is front mission remake?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
My understanding is that Front Mission remake is excessively faithful to the original and just feels like a janky old game with spruced up graphics.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it does have an easy mode and some bugfixes apparently

you can expect basically the same thing as the panzer dragoon remake where it's a bit prettied up and has some extra options but isn't a radical redesign, since it's the same team. has a nicer aesthetic than the panzer dragoon remake did though

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It also has about 12 different hard modes if you're into that sort of thing

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

of all the games square put out this year, harvestella ended up having the most intriguing story

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

DrManiac posted:

Midnight suns is buggy as poo poo (it seems like a transition has like a 30% chance to just crash the game for me) but it’s fun enough that I can’t stop playing.

Limiting the game to 60FPS in the NVidia control panel fixed the crashing for me.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

atholbrose posted:

Limiting the game to 60FPS in the NVidia control panel fixed the crashing for me.

I’m playing on the steam deck and cloud saves don’t work lol

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

GreenBuckanneer posted:

how is front mission remake?

Here were my thoughts a couple of days ago

MechaX posted:

For better or for worse, it tries to be as 1:1 to the original release as much as possible not-withstanding the 3d graphics (still trying to resemble the original as much as possible) and remastered music. More of a remaster rather than a remake, and likely more cost-effective than hunting down the DS version and you don't have to deal with dodgy fan-translations by emulating the SNES release.

It is okay overall but there is a lot of bullshit under the hood and Square was definitely trying to feel things out in 1995. Don't go into it thinking it got a fraction of the budget Tactics Ogre Reborn got.

The only difference between now and then is that yeah, the bullshit is kind of strong. The game does give you boss units that you couldn’t use in the 1995 release to greatly tip back the scales in your favor

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Got around to playing Caligula Effect 2 after how it was talked about in this thread. Really great game, I enjoyed it pretty much the whole way through. Not having played the first game or knowing much about it, I was impressed by how it handled a VR type setting and what people wanted out of it. Most of the cast was very good, although I never really came around on Ryuto until the very end as his character episodes were pretty bad. The songs were all great and I can't decide my favorite, although Eternal Silver from the first dungeon was certainly a strong start. Also loved Bluffman's boss theme, the final boss theme, and both versions of the bad end boss theme. The game did leave me a bit intrigued about the first game but I don't know if I'll ever get around to it considering the apparently frustrating and boring gameplay choices in it. I already had some frustration in CE2 from some odd quest choices and the way the character episodes worked, don't want to experience a worse version of that. Would greatly recommend CE2 though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
for all its low-budget jank CE2 had some of my favorite party members of any game i played last year

also the best song is clearly Swap Out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZkQzXtOAdg

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Myriad Truths posted:

Got around to playing Caligula Effect 2 after how it was talked about in this thread. Really great game, I enjoyed it pretty much the whole way through. Not having played the first game or knowing much about it, I was impressed by how it handled a VR type setting and what people wanted out of it. Most of the cast was very good, although I never really came around on Ryuto until the very end as his character episodes were pretty bad. The songs were all great and I can't decide my favorite, although Eternal Silver from the first dungeon was certainly a strong start. Also loved Bluffman's boss theme, the final boss theme, and both versions of the bad end boss theme. The game did leave me a bit intrigued about the first game but I don't know if I'll ever get around to it considering the apparently frustrating and boring gameplay choices in it. I already had some frustration in CE2 from some odd quest choices and the way the character episodes worked, don't want to experience a worse version of that. Would greatly recommend CE2 though.

The first Caligula Effect comes off as a very janky prototype in comparison to CE2. It has a few neat ideas but doesn't flesh them out anywhere close to the extent that CE2 does, the dungeons are bland repetitive corridors, and the battle system is boring busywork. It's honestly pretty amazing that CE2 managed to be such a gigantic improvement in every possible metric.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

My understanding is that Front Mission remake is excessively faithful to the original and just feels like a janky old game with spruced up graphics.

This sounds hype

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ445dYNmi4

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Best song is obviously Miss Conductor.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
For some reason the cursor in Front Mission feels really bad to me, which pushes it below RS: MS and Tactics Ogre: Reborn for now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Started Undernauts, I suck at these games, is there any reason not to promote people as soon as I have the items? There's usually a level gate but it appears not in this.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Home Guldove is still one of my favorite town themes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHqkuihmVxg

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sakurazuka posted:

Started Undernauts, I suck at these games, is there any reason not to promote people as soon as I have the items? There's usually a level gate but it appears not in this.

There is no downside to being promoted, but you can't apply the promotion item to someone else once you've used it on someone, and it only applies to one of their classes, so pick a character and class you want to keep. (You can change which promotion subclass they are in within that class though.)

The promotion items are pretty rare early on. Pick your six classes to improve and get those first. There are technically an unlimited number available but you'll have to go into the dream stronghold and clear it for extras.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Srice posted:

The first Caligula Effect comes off as a very janky prototype in comparison to CE2. It has a few neat ideas but doesn't flesh them out anywhere close to the extent that CE2 does, the dungeons are bland repetitive corridors, and the battle system is boring busywork. It's honestly pretty amazing that CE2 managed to be such a gigantic improvement in every possible metric.

That's honestly one of the biggest things that impressed me about CE2 – just how thoughtfully it improved upon the previous one's faults.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

loquacius posted:

Home Guldove is still one of my favorite town themes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHqkuihmVxg

I really like the slightly more acoustic version on one of Mitsuda's Hopeful Weeds EPs. Shame no one uploaded it to Youtube although a certain Kingdom Hearts insider might have a copy online.

(Apparently that site does in fact do more than just host video game OSTs. What a surprise, right?)

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 5, 2022

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Feels Villeneuve posted:

for all its low-budget jank CE2 had some of my favorite party members of any game i played last year

also the best song is clearly Swap Out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZkQzXtOAdg

This is the correct opinion. I had that song playing on loop in my head for like a month after I beat the game.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The series just has really good tracks overall, it's hard to pick favorites sometimes, especially in CE2 because there's something to like about each song.

SINGI & its boss remix makes its way into my regular rotation, along with Alter Garden and its remix.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Harvestella's gonna rank in the 30s of my top 50 this year. If it had gotten a bigger budget and a better combat engine, it could've been top 5.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

oh, so that's why i've heard the name bloody mary in regards to terranigma.

never made it to the humanity party before, it feels all weird now.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Phantasium posted:

oh, so that's why i've heard the name bloody mary in regards to terranigma.

never made it to the humanity party before, it feels all weird now.

Definitely give this vid a watch when you're done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXxoZqoIfQ0

That's a great watch for anyone who likes Terranigma and the other Quintet resurrection games like Actraiser 1 & 2, Soul Blazer, and Illusion of Gaia.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Neeksy posted:

The series just has really good tracks overall, it's hard to pick favorites sometimes, especially in CE2 because there's something to like about each song.

SINGI & its boss remix makes its way into my regular rotation, along with Alter Garden and its remix.

It's a very tough contest, but I'll stand by Angel's Song from CE1 as my favourite song from either game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpHfaoqWRGs

Some would call the first game's soundtrack "tonally inconsistent". I would say the way it wildly swerves from tinkly piano to electronic to jazz to Christian rock is part of its charm.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
the first game's songs are all pretty solid, I like Sin and Angel's Song, and Distorted Happiness is amazing, as is the Overdose OP Cradle, but I do feel that 2's songs are stronger across the board-I have a hard time feeling strong feelings about, say... Originality Incident or Sadistic Queen.

With 2, the only song I'm not super into is Designated Desires, and even then it's still good. Like, seriously, I live every song-Eternal Silver is great, Alter Garden, Swap Out, Q-Ai Senorita, Just Praying, Miss Conductor, xx/xx/xxxx, SINGI, all of em are fantastic.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

This is the best dark RPG bgm track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0gOAwiLY5k

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
My favorite song from CE2 is SINGI, if in part because it's mechanically the best song for Chi's boost mode for a large part of the game. By the time I could get something else as good I was used to it, and by the time I finished the game it was full-on Pavlovian conditioning. But it's a good song, so I'm not going to complain. Alter Garden is my second-favorite.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like originality incident. just not 2 hours straight of originality incident

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also how did saejima spend 25 years of his life in prison only to come out and realize those 25 years were wasted and made everyone he cares about miserable. and then decide the answer for securing a future for everyone is to go back to prison for two more years. i guess the conditions are not as bad but i dont think the prison time led to good things the first time man

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The prison is Saejima's Tojo Clan, he cannot be allowed to be out for more than 3 months.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

also how did saejima spend 25 years of his life in prison only to come out and realize those 25 years were wasted and made everyone he cares about miserable. and then decide the answer for securing a future for everyone is to go back to prison for two more years. i guess the conditions are not as bad but i dont think the prison time led to good things the first time man

Iirc the reasoning is “supposed” to be that his new family subordinates won’t respect him if he doesn’t do his time for the crimes he (actually) did but it’s some real bad “tell, don’t show” poo poo going on. But really they somehow literally couldn’t think of anything for his story besides “better send him to prison again” and Saejima needs to want to go to jail for that to happen.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

It's a very tough contest, but I'll stand by Angel's Song from CE1 as my favourite song from either game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpHfaoqWRGs

Some would call the first game's soundtrack "tonally inconsistent". I would say the way it wildly swerves from tinkly piano to electronic to jazz to Christian rock is part of its charm.

I think it makes sense both in terms of time period it takes place in as well as how the musicians were gathered together in each respective game.
The musicians in CE2 were directly recruited by a leader who was acting as a 'producer' and thus his scope was far more narrow than CE1's scenario of it being a collection of happenstance popular musicians who all have extremely diverse tastes and interests. By narrowing things down to 'regret' rather than 'whatever you want', you get a more narrow scope of people and desires. In the real world, the selection of artists was just as broad for 2, but the kind of online music world has gone through lots of changes in the years between the game's first release on PSP and CE2.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
CE2's soundtrack is an embarrassment of riches. It's hard for me to pick a favorite because they are all just bangers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn4hkHgsbOE is stuck in my head today.

e: the final boss remix of SING! is fantastic too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8CMmqeKtIM - I like how how desperate it sounds, thematically, with Regret nearly screaming the openings lines. She wants to be done and the fight and the music together really drive that home.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 6, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the boss fight version of xx/xx/xxxx is top tier penultimate final boss music

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

ImpAtom posted:

I finish Astlibra Rev and if not for some nagging buts it'd be a GoTY contender for me. The core gameplay is a ton of fun and it even manages to make repeating areas fun. It's biggest problems are a wonky translation and absolutely undercutting almost everything after the earliest chapters with extreme and out of place horniness.

It is still worth playing for the most part but only if 'you are fighting a giant anime girl wearing nothing but fishnets and heels whose breasts independently jiggle non-stop' isn't going to skeeve you out too much.

It is an an absurdly impressive achievement fiorwhat amounts to one dude though. For all I can criticize some bits it is successful way more often than it fails.

This looks like it plays like the Actraiser platforming game. The demo seems fun. I think I'll get this after I complete the actraiser reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

See now I'm just glad other people at least liked CE2, because I've been a fan of the series in spite of its flaws/missteps because the imagery and ideas intrigued me so much.