Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

symbolic posted:

counterpoint: penguins ftw

there was a perfect amount of time allocated for penguins. topic locked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

symbolic posted:

sube
Nov 7, 2022

hbag posted:

does kiga not also have two syllables

Yeah it has. I was misunderstanding what a friend told me, my bad. They were just trying to say shortening kiga would sound weird

sube fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 6, 2022

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

symbolic posted:

She was getting to the penguins! :argh: She had so many penguin facts! Facts that would shock you! But Denji couldn't be patient!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I love Asa's absolute confidence running straight into being a terrible date.

Also, Denji's reaction to being told he doesn't have to think is just... so good. That's good character work, and it makes me happy.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

The Lord of Hats posted:

Also, Denji's reaction to being told he doesn't have to think is just... so good. That's good character work, and it makes me happy.

Denji has been there, done that and we saw how that turned out.

This manga is really just too good.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Rabid Boar posted:

I looked it up and kiga apparently can also mean penguin so lol
Too bad that joke couldn't be preserved in the translation. It's so good.

I know they're to be avoided whenever possible but I think that would have been worth an inline translator note. Even in that form I would have laughed

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
So it seems like somehow Famine is making use of Eternity's power which might also explain the other Chainsaw man if Famine can use other devil power due to some balance/exchange/devour motif. If this is the case it also is an interesting trend that all of the 4 Horsemen shown so far use others for their power. War straight up converts them to weapons, Conquest controls other's minds, and Famine seems to be able to use someone else's abilities or perhaps only those with contracts.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Big Leg posted:

there was a perfect amount of time allocated for penguins. topic locked

It'd be just like the Spy x Family episode where they go see Penguins. I mean, it's basically going that way if you don't think about how it really isn't at all.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

The Lord of Hats posted:

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

https://twitter.com/Sben64/status/1600150131583508485

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
that was so good. Asa with all the confidence and she's a boring nerd. Shoulda let him see the penguins.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Vise the Stompy posted:

So it seems like somehow Famine is making use of Eternity's power which might also explain the other Chainsaw man if Famine can use other devil power due to some balance/exchange/devour motif. If this is the case it also is an interesting trend that all of the 4 Horsemen shown so far use others for their power. War straight up converts them to weapons, Conquest controls other's minds, and Famine seems to be able to use someone else's abilities or perhaps only those with contracts.

Makima can control anyone she views as lesser
Yoru can weaponize anything she owns
Famine can ???

She might just be able to shift things around, which isn’t a huge power on its own. But if she can decide where the things go, it’s pretty strong. I mean she did take Yoru away somehow. She empowered yuko so idk

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Imagine having so little game you can't pull Denji

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

lol I thought it was almost 1:1 wording but didn't go and check. this manga rules!!!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
To be fair to Asa, if she’d gone after Jotaro instead of Denji, this would have worked flawlessly.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Lord of Hats posted:

To be fair to Asa, if she’d gone after Jotaro instead of Denji, this would have worked flawlessly.

"Yare yare daze, I wanna go see the dolphins."

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I think everyone's ignoring that Asa isn't enthusing about sealife, that may or may not have worked on Denji, she's listing off some facts she read last night in a monotone.

Which maybe seems like a good idea when you only have half of your brain?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Brutal Garcon posted:

I think everyone's ignoring that Asa isn't enthusing about sealife, that may or may not have worked on Denji, she's listing off some facts she read last night in a monotone.

The other half of her brain is actively pointing out that it's boring and dumb, Asa is just not listening to her. :v:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Fabricated posted:

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Fabricated posted:

On the other hand, her little remark about "Just entertain them for 30 minutes and they'll fall for you" makes me think she'll fall for Denji after he does 1 cool thing/actually pays attention to her.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
There’s no way Denji kicks the bucket here, right?

Asa obtaining a powerful weapon susceptible to Denji’s feelings for her is a fun potential premise.

Another thought is, what would motivate Famine to do this? War immediately reacted in what could be described as fear. Famine appears to be stronger than War.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Fabricated posted:

If he would just listen for one second god!

Also, anime episode was fantastic and unsettling as hell today. That cut to Makima standing in the train and everything after is just :stonklol:

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
The anime, in my controversial and original opinion, remains incredible. I think the PV gave the game away a bit too much but Kobeni's monkey mode still remains a solid moment andf the whole... ritual(?) is a fantastic sequence.

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart
it's still so funny to me when the snake girl outright calls makima's power here bullshit

I wish more people in more stories admitted that

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

raocow posted:

it's still so funny to me when the snake girl outright calls makima's power here bullshit

I wish more people in more stories admitted that
I still insist Viz has a style guide that makes hard curses verboten and not just because Japanese doesn't have much in the way of hard curses.

"A bullshit power like this has to be Makima!" Is such a better reading line than "this outrageous power... It must be Makima"

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

JackDarko posted:

Famine appears to be stronger than War.

I mean, this checks imo. It's been established that wars aren't particularly common anymore, and that without nuclear weapons it's not a wide-spread fear. Starving to death sounds loving agonizing, like weeks of just being miserable and in pain while you wither away. Not even just starvation, but specifically famine - a whole community going through this, not just you but also your loved ones. And, of course, the fear of what people you thought were friends and family turning on you to try and get food.

I have to imagine Fami is very powerful.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if you expand famine to include hunger in general, it’s basically the number one stressor and motivating factor for humans and devils alike. she might not be on Darkness’s level but she would have to be ferocious, unless Pochita took a nibble out of her as well

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Oxxidation posted:

if you expand famine to include hunger in general, it’s basically the number one stressor and motivating factor for humans and devils alike. she might not be on Darkness’s level but she would have to be ferocious, unless Pochita took a nibble out of her as well

Given that she is on earth, she probably died, which should have weakened her.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

war specifically wants pochita to spit out the nuclear weapons devil because she's been weakened substantially

consider how small she is when we see her

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Popo posted:

The anime, in my controversial and original opinion, remains incredible. I think the PV gave the game away a bit too much but Kobeni's monkey mode still remains a solid moment andf the whole... ritual(?) is a fantastic sequence.

I think they had some nice additional moments too. More time with the prisoners (who got a last meal, because Makima is a good person like that), some confirmation that she only killed the people on the train who tried to kill her, and Kobeni's fight with the Yakuza grandma got shown.

Gotta say, forcing someone to blow her own brains out is hardcore. Kobeni is, indeed, a badass. ...sometimes.

As for Asa, the Makima comparisons are extra-interesting since, on Denji and Makima's date, Makima was repeatedly encouraging Denji to think, giving him tools to better appreciate movies. It wasn't just about doing something she loved, it was about helping someone she was in love with (who, tragically, was not Denji) see why she loved it, so he could come to love it (or not, although Makima hoped he would) by his own decision.

Meanwhile, Asa is just parroting facts she doesn't seem to give a drat about, with no concern for Denji's feelings on the matter.

Shockingly enough, given his disastrous romantic history, Denji knows what a great date looks like, and Asa isn't doing much to live up to his standards.

(Apparently, Reze's little murder song was about wanting to see penguins at the aquarium. Really, she and Denji should track each other down, give it another go. A few murder attempts are just a fun story for the kids, really.)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I wasn’t sure how the date was going to go but Asa failing to seduce Denji because she’s even worse at romance than him is very funny

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RatHat posted:

I wasn’t sure how the date was going to go but Asa failing to seduce Denji because she’s even worse at romance than him is very funny

Let's face it.

Denji's got game.

Guy managed to flip a top Russian honeypot agent with his all-natural charm, and he wasn't even trying.

He's played in the majors with some of the all time greats, and now Asa is trying to win him over with something that would get you booted out of a farm team? Yeah, that's not going to work.

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009

Brutal Garcon posted:

I think this is a bigger part of the story than it first appeared. Like Yoru yelling about not being stupid in the stairwell and this outburst by Asa. Like it kinda seems to be leaning towards more than just dumb teenager, and infact, actually brain damaged teenager and devil.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oh man as exciting as this week's episode is, next should have Operation: Super-Smart and the Future Devil.

The Future Rules!

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i'm ready for the Endless Date

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The double spread to show boredom was so funny lol. I assume it is Infinity not just a similar effect but it'd be cool too if Denji is just using his frame of reference. Makes him feel like a real lived character. It sounds like Fami knows about Denji and his deal but I'm curious if she knows about his background with Infinity. I had assumed infinity would panic if he realised he was sent in to deal with Chainsaw again. However as someone pointed out in this thread Infinity is under no obligation (presumably) to manifest within his trap. So he could just be getting revenge.

Fabricated posted:

I still insist Viz has a style guide that makes hard curses verboten and not just because Japanese doesn't have much in the way of hard curses.

"A bullshit power like this has to be Makima!" Is such a better reading line than "this outrageous power... It must be Makima"

They definitely do for shonen. There is just no way that many characters are saying "darn". Maybe it's because I'm not American but that always sounds like something the Waltons or people on some 80s TV show would say. The reason I say for shonen is because their translations of stuff like Dorohedoro has lots of poo poo and gently caress.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Asa shooting her shot with Denji, the world's largest fish in its smallest barrel

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

I would continue the date as planned smdh at all you renegades. trust the plan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

The double spread to show boredom was so funny lol. I assume it is Infinity not just a similar effect but it'd be cool too if Denji is just using his frame of reference. Makes him feel like a real lived character. It sounds like Fami knows about Denji and his deal but I'm curious if she knows about his background with Infinity. I had assumed infinity would panic if he realised he was sent in to deal with Chainsaw again. However as someone pointed out in this thread Infinity is under no obligation (presumably) to manifest within his trap. So he could just be getting revenge.

As someone pointed earlier, if this is Eternity Devil, he respawned in Hell after Denji killed him, then died there and respawned on Earth, which means he should have no memory of Denji and Chainsaw Man.

Also, I just realized that this setup means that Asa can learn that Denji is Chainsaw Man, without Yoru knowing about it.