Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Baron von Eevl posted:

I agree with OG ED being my favorite in GE franchise for every reason FS said. I'm also going to add, there are some really inventions and fun camera angles in there, even beyond the heavy abuse of Dutch angles during the freak out scene. There's a good shot of Ash turning around shot from below the floor (they just out the camera on the floor and had someone hold a shoe over threw frame a little bit) and one in the basement from above the ceiling (they just put a mirror on the ceiling and shot that). Also the mirror rippling effect looks really really nice.

Those shots were exactly the sort of all the clever little touches I love about the film.

Especially the Shoe Shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wanna watched the evil dead again

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
1990 has to be Tremors but drat if Misery and Nightbreed aren't far behind.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

1990, hard call between Tremors, the Guardian and Tales from the Darkside.

Tremors is just an all around fun monster flick. Guardian's an often overlooked modern folk horror entry and Tales from the Darkside because of the gargoyle story and Deborah Harry.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

People give the horror movies of the 1990s in general poo poo, but 1990 itself was a surprisingly strong year. I'd have to probably give it to Tremors overall, but I'd also understand nods towards Arachnophobia, Bride of Re-Animator, Child's Play 2, Gremlins 2, Exorcist III, Jacob's Ladder and Misery. And we also have some prime schlock like Predator 2, Maniac Cop 2, Troll 2 and Frankenhooker, plus a few almost-great entries that fall just short, like Nightbreed or Tales from the Darkside. Oh, and Brad Dourif's bit part in Graveyard Shift.

1990: A good year for horror

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CelticPredator posted:

I wanna watched the evil dead again

What's stopping you?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m gonna go with Predator 2. But drat it’s a good year for horror

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyophYBP_w4

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Iron Crowned posted:

What's stopping you?

Writing scripts lol

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

M_Sinistrari posted:

1990, hard call between Tremors, the Guardian and Tales from the Darkside.

Tremors is just an all around fun monster flick. Guardian's an often overlooked modern folk horror entry and Tales from the Darkside because of the gargoyle story and Deborah Harry.

Tales from the Darkside also had Steve Buscemi, Julianne Moore and a surprisingly tender Janes Remar.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Never rub another man’s remar

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
1990 is Nightbreed, OBVIOUSLY

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Jacobs ladder in 90 for sure.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

1990 is Nightbreed, OBVIOUSLY

The original Nightbreed isn't really that good of a film , but the directors cut that came out later kind of fixed that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Hollismason posted:

The original Nightbreed isn't really that good of a film

can someone post that giant rolling-eyes emoji vomiting out other rolling-eyes emojis for me?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dr decker kicks rear end

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
i'm actually kinda bummed the director's cut is the only available version of Nightbreed now, in some ways I prefer the theatrical one.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

There is one clear choice for me....

https://youtu.be/DF24lyzxFSo

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
tremors is in my top 5 most rewatched movies all time

I will always leave it on when it's on tv

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
For me it's between Tremors, Maniac Cop 2, and Gremlins 2. I think Maniac Cop gets my vote.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

In case 1991 hits and I'm not able to post:

1991, I'm going with Highway to Hell primary and Cast a Deadly Spell as a secondary.

Highway to Hell's an often overlooked gem of the escape from Hell subgenre, and Cast a Deadly Spell's a very good entry in the magic is really real subgenre. I'd rate it as better than the other known ones in the subgenre like Harry Potter.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Evil Dead 2 isn't even the best Evil Dead film.

i think its my least favourite

heres some psycho goreman content: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lethalcomics/psycho-goreman/posts/3682844?ref=activity

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

M_Sinistrari posted:

In case 1991 hits and I'm not able to post:

1991, I'm going with Highway to Hell primary and Cast a Deadly Spell as a secondary.

Highway to Hell's an often overlooked gem of the escape from Hell subgenre, and Cast a Deadly Spell's a very good entry in the magic is really real subgenre. I'd rate it as better than the other known ones in the subgenre like Harry Potter.

Also has a baby Julianne Moore lol.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can’t wait to get the comic in hand. It’s been a loonnnnnnggg road lmao

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
As tight as the script is for Tremors, and as fun as it is to watch, I've gotta give 1990 to Jacob's Ladder.

Battle Heater was my 1989 pick.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I could watch Tremors like 10 times in a row and never get tired of it. Jacob's Ladder I can watch enjoy it and then never watch it again. All about what do I want to put on my TV that is chill and funny.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Man, don't make me pick between Maniac Cop 2, Child's Play 2 and Frankenhooker.

Fine... Frankenhooker it is.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No one is brave enough to piss on hospitality huh? I guess I’ll tighten my belt to avoid hunger pains then!!!

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Skinamarink is extremely good and highly suggest people catch it if you can at a festival or once shudder gets it into theaters/streaming.

Parroting some reviews i’ve read cus i agree with the sentiment but it captures the feel of nightmares i used to have as a kid that made the whole thing extremely visceral for me. it’s gonna stick with me for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXSUy7oExu8

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

O no not wall to wall carpeting.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i choose robert z'dars chin

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Tremors is just such a well made movie. Like it's a fun and silly movie, but it's really well shot, tense, and does such a great job with setting up a clear geography.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Ghosthotel posted:

Skinamarink is extremely good and highly suggest people catch it if you can at a festival or once shudder gets it into theaters/streaming.

Parroting some reviews i’ve read cus i agree with the sentiment but it captures the feel of nightmares i used to have as a kid that made the whole thing extremely visceral for me. it’s gonna stick with me for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXSUy7oExu8

So just to be clear the title IS based on that song they used to play on Nick Jr. all the time?

Like I get taking things from childhood and making them sinister is a reliable source but man you've got work to do.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

WeaponX posted:

There is one clear choice for me....

https://youtu.be/DF24lyzxFSo

The one objectively correct answer in this entire exercise :swoon:

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

So just to be clear the title IS based on that song they used to play on Nick Jr. all the time?

Like I get taking things from childhood and making them sinister is a reliable source but man you've got work to do.

i was unaware it was a kids song and from what i recall it doesn’t show up at all in the movie so who the gently caress knows lmao

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Ghosthotel posted:

i was unaware it was a kids song and from what i recall it doesn’t show up at all in the movie so who the gently caress knows lmao

Okay good. (Weird name then.)

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

my best guess is that since the movie focuses on two kids who are implied to be around 4-5 years old they just decided to go with that? There is a very dreamlike/nightmare vibe through out the whole movie and maybe since skinamarink is basically gibberish that ties into it somehow.

but seriously though absolutely fantastic imo, one of the most unsettling movies i’ve seen in years.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Ghosthotel posted:

my best guess is that since the movie focuses on two kids who are implied to be around 4-5 years old they just decided to go with that? There is a very dreamlike/nightmare vibe through out the whole movie and maybe since skinamarink is basically gibberish that ties into it somehow.

but seriously though absolutely fantastic imo, one of the most unsettling movies i’ve seen in years.

It's been a bit divisive in here among the ppl that have seen it, but I liked it. Neat style that kept me glued in

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay good. (Weird name then.)

The children's show took it from an early 20th-century stage musical which had then taken it from, as I'll paraphrase from Wikipedia, "something someone's daughter heard at camp once". I guess there were probably other people at that 1900's Canadian children's camp. Maybe one of them is somehow (comically) tangentially involved, like a descendent or they're just vampires.

I'm gonna guess the movie is referencing the kids song. They might try to deny that down the line, but they're gonna be lying to cover up the fact that they took the title from god drat Lambchop.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That song sends me back to my childhood so it’s a good name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

That song sends me back to my childhood so it’s a good name

I didn't mean to imply that it was a bad decision, but they are gonna have to own it. I'm gonna judge the poo poo out of the film makers if they try to hide it.