Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

The Fool posted:

the core games are standalone, but the modern storyline that started in origins finishes in valhalla
ah! well, i'm sure i'll figure it out, i did play (and enjoy) origins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

jesus WEP posted:

there’s like a 1% chance you’ll care at all about the modern day storyline instead of just rushing through them to get back to your historical stabbing simulator
also this. wasn't super taken with the modern story in origins

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the modern parts of rear end creed are always pointless and lovely, so you dont have to worry about it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i bet there are some sickos out there who are only into asscreed for the abstergo lore

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

i bet there are some sickos out there who are only into asscreed for the abstergo lore
just the ones with youtube channels

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

jesus WEP posted:

abstergo lore

they prefer the term “on the animus”

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i've played every main ac title except rogue, odyssey and valhalla and while you can start the series being into the metaplot i do not believe it possible to finish it being into the metaplot

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

jesus WEP posted:

gross dude

Valhalla is real fun and challenging in parts but much like every other asscreed you get enough stuff and points and it's just a slaughterfest

i remember one of the bosses being hard but i was half in the bag at that point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aTI8OQpt2s

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the desmond stuff in 2 and brotherhood wasn’t so terribly bad

i think it mostly got intolerable with origins just because the whole game was supposed to be a soft reboot stripping out all the bullshit everyone hated, except they kept that one thing everyone really hated

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

I bought odyssey but refunded it because that awful Ubisoft launcher kept logging me out and made it a huge pain in the rear end to play via steam link. welp that's my experience with asscreed thanks for reading.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Elder Postsman posted:

I bought odyssey but refunded it because that awful Ubisoft launcher kept logging me out and made it a huge pain in the rear end to play via steam link. welp that's my experience with asscreed thanks for reading.

Ubisoft has made some of their previous games unplayable (unless you torrent copies)

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/ubisoft-decommissioning-spree-could-render-more-titles-unplayable-than-initially-thought

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I organised my Pokémon by type and now I am ready to catch them all

if any of you have a disco duck I can trade either a fuecoco or a sprigatito or a scarlet version exclusive for it

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I organised my Pokémon by type and now I am ready to catch them all

if any of you have a disco duck I can trade either a fuecoco or a sprigatito or a scarlet version exclusive for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WE1xhdh48Q

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

anyone tried IXION yet

released today, supposed to be either "frostpunk in space" or "what if homeworld was a citybuilder instead of an rts", i've heard both

has the wh40k mechanicus guy doing the music so that's neat

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

literally lmao if youre not dwarfing

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

quiggy posted:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
psst. hey, kid, you wanna try dwarf?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

quiggy posted:

I’m waiting for Christmas to see if I get steam cards or something :sigh:

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

anyone tried IXION yet

released today, supposed to be either "frostpunk in space" or "what if homeworld was a citybuilder instead of an rts", i've heard both

has the wh40k mechanicus guy doing the music so that's neat

i read a review and sounds like i am exactly the guy it is for, gonna get it after christmas if no one gets it for me

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
my ps5 controller all of a sudden developed insanely bad analog stick drift ,this loving sucks. i know sony will fixit for free if i mail it in but its still annoying!!!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Fool posted:

the core games are standalone, but the modern storyline that started in origins finishes in valhalla

can you spoiler and tell me what happens? I ran out of energy to complete valhalla

I really enjoyed a lot of it but ran out of steam

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

the modern parts of rear end creed are always pointless and lovely, so you dont have to worry about it

I always wanted to but was too scared to find out what happens if you die in the real world part

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i moved into a new apartment and i have a new arrangement of all my stuff. i want to be able to sit on the couch and play steam games on my tv, using my xbox controllers, but my desktop computer is in another room. i don't want to run an hdmi cable through the wall and i suspect it's too far for the wireless controllers to work anyway.

what's the best way to stream games to my tv? a chromecast with steam link app? is that laggy? how do i hook up the controllers?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Really depends on how good your network is and the controller connects through Bluetooth to the streaming device I believe. So visual and controller lag really depends on how good the internet is

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

apple tv with steamlink is something I've done with retroarch

someone else posted recently about using steamlink right from their tv

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

The Fool posted:

apple tv with steamlink is something I've done with retroarch

someone else posted recently about using steamlink right from their tv

yah I use it a lot and it works pretty well. if your gaming compute and appletv or whatever you're running steamlink on are on a wired network it works a lot better

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

TontoCorazon posted:

Really depends on how good your network is and the controller connects through Bluetooth to the streaming device I believe. So visual and controller lag really depends on how good the internet is

hmm okay. i think only one of my controllers has bluetooth, lol. they're old. but that could work.

i have an 802.11ac router in the same room as the tv and it's connected via gigabit ethernet to the desktop so i suspect the network won't be a major bottleneck. not sure though...

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

hmm okay. i think only one of my controllers has bluetooth, lol. they're old. but that could work.

i have an 802.11ac router in the same room as the tv and it's connected via gigabit ethernet to the desktop so i suspect the network won't be a major bottleneck. not sure though...

You should be good, only way to know is to test it out and see how it fairs

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

all that said, do consider running the hdmi. i am a strong believer in having a wire at least as backup.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

i moved into a new apartment and i have a new arrangement of all my stuff. i want to be able to sit on the couch and play steam games on my tv, using my xbox controllers, but my desktop computer is in another room. i don't want to run an hdmi cable through the wall and i suspect it's too far for the wireless controllers to work anyway.

what's the best way to stream games to my tv? a chromecast with steam link app? is that laggy? how do i hook up the controllers?

if you have an extra ipad or iphone laying around you can use the steam link app and output through the hdmi adapter, controller would be paired to the ios device. assuming you have a bluetooth-capable xbox controller, which is the xbone second rev or later

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jenny Agutter posted:

if you have an extra ipad or iphone laying around you can use the steam streaming app and output through the hdmi adapter, controller would be paired to the ios device. assuming you have a bluetooth-capable xbox controller, which is the xbone second rev or later

woah, cool.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Sagebrush posted:

i plug my controller into my samsung tv and it has a built in steamlink app. its the only time i hook it up to ethernet and i highly reccommend. probably not great for like call of duty but witcher and elden ring whipped. oh also i target 1080p60 but i have a lovely computer im sure its fine at scale

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I have a steamlink and it works really well on a wired connection

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

problem: traveling this weekend, had planned on bringing switch for pokemon, but dorfs runs well on deck. only gonna have room for one device. which do i bring

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

quiggy posted:

problem: traveling this weekend, had planned on bringing switch for pokemon, but dorfs runs well on deck. only gonna have room for one device. which do i bring

switch is easier to pack and will make you look marginally less like a dork

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

it’s also more wholesome

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

but dwarfs

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

quiggy, the dwarfs will still be there when you get back.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

how's the battery life comparison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

we'll all still be playing dwarf fortress in our dotage at the home, trying to explain to the carebot how bullshit the seed we got was