Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

weird fact: buy a 3d printer and it'll give u less trouble than a 2d one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

weird fact: buy a 3d printer and it'll give u less trouble than a 2d one

please note: not a true fact if u buy a tronxy

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

axolotl farmer posted:

when I was a students in the 90s, all the computer labs had Apple Laser writers. those things were indestructable and withstood a lot of abuse from dumb undergrads accidentaly printing the entire internet.

oh hey my elementary school had these

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Wild EEPROM posted:

that hp ink subscription thing is the funniest and dumbest loving thing I have ever heard in my entire life, its incredible that anyone would even consider it.

to be fair, individual end users don't have any buying power to sway the market in the other direction, and the purchasing managers at big companies who do have sway don't get paid to gently caress around and google Alternative Printer Platforms, they get paid to re-order ink

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
yosposters when asked what they ate for breakfast this morning: “hmmm maybe…food? idk”

yosposters upon seeing a picture of an old printer: “August 15, 1992. Apple LaserWriter IIf. Ms. Blevins’ 4th grade classroom. 2 MB onboard ram. Tasted of strawberries”

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

yosposters when asked what they ate for breakfast this morning: “hmmm maybe…food? idk”

yosposters upon seeing a picture of an old printer: “August 15, 1992. Apple LaserWriter IIf. Ms. Blevins’ 4th grade classroom. 2 MB onboard ram. Tasted of strawberries”

ACTUALLY, it was 2004 and it was in the computer lab

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

just bump the breakfast thread

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

carry on then posted:

oh hey my elementary school had these

middle and high school here (was the same library all grades were in one big campus)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Carthag Tuek posted:

hey remember when printers actually loving worked?

goddamn piece of poo poo garbage

nvrgrls posted:

laserjet 4 snipe

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
printer? i just put a sheet of paper on the screen and trace what i want to print

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i used a typewriter and occasionally a dot matrix printer lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
it was an electric typewriter though

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

just bump the breakfast thread

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I used to work in my universities printer lab because it was pre-usb thumb drive times and floppies were kinda unreliable and boy howdy did every single printer suck rear end to use and maintain

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I used to work in my universities printer lab because it was pre-usb thumb drive times and floppies were kinda unreliable and boy howdy did every single printer suck rear end to use and maintain
several decades later i can report to you with full assurance that printers continue to suck rear end to use and maintain

most companies dont even bother - they lease their printers from a dedicated printer service that delivers them, sets them up, arranges shipments of supplies, and will dispatch a tech to fix it when it breaks

i would imagine working as a full-time dispatch printer tech must be the ninth circle of it support job hell

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

FMguru posted:

several decades later i can report to you with full assurance that printers continue to suck rear end to use and maintain

most companies dont even bother - they lease their printers from a dedicated printer service that delivers them, sets them up, arranges shipments of supplies, and will dispatch a tech to fix it when it breaks

i would imagine working as a full-time dispatch printer tech must be the ninth circle of it support job hell

accurate

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lmao

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

our sharp tech that comes in to fix our decade old copier is retiring and the guy that filled in for him last time he was on vacation took 5 weeks to get the thing fixed, but it still wasn’t fixed, and ffs the regular guy had to come in and plug a cable all the way in that was loose.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

my parents always got suckered into buying the dumbest versions of poo poo

this is how i had a color dot matrix printer in like 1997

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

my parents paid for wow! by compuserve

after blowing the free trial period

it was only canceled when aol bought cs

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Beeftweeter posted:

my parents paid for wow! by compuserve

after blowing the free trial period

it was only canceled when aol bought cs

wow!

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

lol @ scoffing at the cost of toner when it doesn't dry out like ink when you don't print anything for 6 months and a full color inkjet set of replacement cartridges is easily over $120 (:canada:) and the printer refuses to print anything at all even a text doc when any of the color cartridges are low

i bought a brother b&w laser printer the starter toner thing it came with lasted for loving ever

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 8, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I deal with printers all day every day and theres a good reason the only brand of printer you ever see in a pharmacy is a fuckin brother

one of them pisses me off though coz if u load paper into the automatic feeder, you want to go hit copy, but the copy button (because they're all lcd touch screens of fuckin course not real buttons) flashes "automatic document feeder loaded", which takes a second or two to go away before you can hit copy

it's not a long time objectively that you need to wait, but feels like such a god drat frustrating nuisance when you're just trying to copy a piece of paper, and it basically adds a two second delay in the middle of the only two steps you do (load the paper and press copy)

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

joost

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol sitting on a shelf in the folks home office, a near-mint manual for a Laserjet 4L from 1993 :o:

some collector somewhere must want one

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

preserve it so that future generations may know the peak of our engineering prowess

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

welp I was kvetching at the office and my boss gave me a Epson Workforce WF-7620 and a ps3 for some reason

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I'm the guy who's still mad that the library catalog doesn't have the responsiveness that it did when it was through telnet

holy gently caress I havent seen this interface in 25 years. the one at my library had a keyboard specific to it and ive always wanted to see pics again

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Carthag Tuek posted:

welp I was kvetching at the office and my boss gave me a Epson Workforce WF-7620 and a ps3 for some reason

Does the PS3 have two USB ports or four?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

cpu and heatsink lapping

gotta spend 3 hours with the 2000 grit and a sheet of glass to get that 0.2C lower temp

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does the PS3 have two USB ports or four?

idk it's still at the office, I'll check tomorrow

why?

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Carthag Tuek posted:

idk it's still at the office, I'll check tomorrow

why?

If it has 4 its backwards compatible, if it has two its a regular PS3

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
funy tech poo poo remembered: the wild overbuilding of the original ps3. 4 usb ports, memory stick reder , sd card reader, compact flash readers, a whole hardware ps2 built in, linux support.

and an underbuilding of no rumble in the controller due to a lawsuit.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If it has 4 its backwards compatible, if it has two its a regular PS3

ah k we'll see

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

crazysim posted:

funy tech poo poo remembered: the wild overbuilding of the original ps3. 4 usb ports, memory stick reder , sd card reader, compact flash readers, a whole hardware ps2 built in, linux support.

they at least fixed the controller situation after a couple of years.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

crazysim posted:

and a very underdeveloped online system. it would have been hilarious if they actually went though with their alleged plans to not have an actual gpu in it and expected people to write spu rasterizers. sony was still very high on their own supply and figured that people would just deal with their obtuse hardware and garbage software with a smile since they did with the ps2. they eventually fixed what they could, mostly after the japanese management that was at fault for all of the problems relinquished control of the platform in shame

mid-00s sony was just a non-stop fountain of embarrassment:

the cell had a roughly a two year period where it went from being the future of processors to everyone declaring it to be a worthless dead-end architecture and dropping it like a hot potato filled with lead

e3 2006:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRqKffIjCDU

the white psp ad:

some ad featuring a 35 year old having a seizure on a ladder while rapping about asking his parents for a psp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sweevo posted:

cpu and heatsink lapping

gotta spend 3 hours with the 2000 grit and a sheet of glass to get that 0.2C lower temp

we're back to de-lidding. ryzen 7000 processors drop 20c when you pop the top.

its one reason im skipping ryzen 7k (along with rtx 4k, for diff reasons)