Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Frostpunk's narrative can be hit and miss, but I do really like how the scenarios give you more direction and a shorter experience that'll kick you out after a few hours. With less directed games I sometimes zone out and end up losing a whole day to playing.

Also the whole thing with the scouts is basically a whole little game of its own that adds a little extra context.

skeleton warrior posted:

Anyways, I never played Homeworld so I can’t compare it ti that, but I get a serious FrostPunk vibe from it. Limited resources, lots of things that need to be made, lots of trade offs around how you survive.

I think the main way it resembles Homeworld is just in the general premise of one big ship carrying the whole little population of their society through space to whatever their final destination may be. The overall themes of Homeworld involve a lot of belief and there's even kind of a biblical flavor to it. The way the story's structured, there's two main "characters" that narrate the perspective of the Kharakans as they make their way through the galaxy, but neither of them have egos or personalities of their own, because they represent the whole of the group. No Elons.

Aesthetically, the visuals of Homeworld were largely carried by the pretty skyboxes in the background because the ships themselves were just low-poly blocky things. The auditory experience was one of the big appeals of the game. The big unique thing was how the dispassionate radio chatter formed its own soundscape, but also there was some really great music. The game I think predated dubstep, but also dubstep wouldn't really fit. There's some synth, but there's also a lot of exotic instruments, even a shofar I think. And it finishes with some nice prog-rock credits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqWcm6MMiHk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTKakINXjl8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Holy ghosting batman the TAA implementation in Ixion is absolutely terrible.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Luckily there are 2 others to choose from. SMAA seems fine but I have a 3080.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
you could try dldsr and see how it looks

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

kliras posted:

you could try dldsr and see how it looks

Yeah DLDSR looks great, as it always does. Thank god for Nvidia black magic.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Patch for ixion is out!

Highlights:

- Updated general balancing around accident frequency
- Updated accident triggers (for more friendly learning curve)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SlothfulCobra posted:

Frostpunk's narrative can be hit and miss, but I do really like how the scenarios give you more direction and a shorter experience that'll kick you out after a few hours. With less directed games I sometimes zone out and end up losing a whole day to playing.
*slowly slides against the storm into view*

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
is there a way to move resources between sectors in Ixion?

my society just collapsed because the jerk in sector 1 would not send alloys or food to sector 2

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Grevlek posted:

is there a way to move resources between sectors in Ixion?

my society just collapsed because the jerk in sector 1 would not send alloys or food to sector 2

Go to the resource management screen, set maximum values for how much of X you want there to be in each sector, and set them to export to all other sectors. Make sure you have stockpiles for all relevant goods in both sectors even if one of them is only ever going to be used to temporarily hold exports, they won't move stuff directly from cargo bays / industrial buildings to other sectors, it has to be stockpile to stockpile.

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

Miguel Prado posted:

Patch for ixion is out!

Highlights:

- Updated general balancing around accident frequency
- Updated accident triggers (for more friendly learning curve)

oh thank gently caress accident frequency was way too high

I am also restarting to do things better, was a bit into the second system and realized I need a second EVA or my hull was going to fall apart and have nowhere to put it. I want to get things better positioned, really need to move the starting docking bay over a bit so you can fit a 4th wall thing in there but its way too late to do it in my current save. You really need to be cautious, its easy to fall into a death spiral so you need to overbuild on +stability and hull repair. I'd assume 1 EVA per open sector as a minimum, and probably want a few extra by the end-game at the rate hull damage goes up.

Also you can pretty much ignore the -1 stability for staying too long in at least Sol, they're just going to throw even more -stability poo poo at you later so if you can't handle that you're hosed in the next system anyway lol. You just get -1 stability for permanently leaving Sol instead!

Also also, the FTL animation is trippy as gently caress and I love it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
how important is sector specialization, because that kind of organizational scheme is like catnip to me but it also seems really loving hard to accomplish without at some point tearing up everything you've built and starting fresh

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

how important is sector specialization, because that kind of organizational scheme is like catnip to me but it also seems really loving hard to accomplish without at some point tearing up everything you've built and starting fresh

No idea because you have to research and build a building to see what it actually does lol

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Splicer posted:

*slowly slides against the storm into view*

Me too. Frostpunk ugh

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Mega edition of Anno 1800 is on Mega sale on Steam.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I keep trying to get real stuck in with Anno 1800 every couple of months and it never takes :(

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

explosivo posted:

I keep trying to get real stuck in with Anno 1800 every couple of months and it never takes :(

Same. I don’t know what it’s missing for me but it just never seems to want to stick.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I guess I need to watch the Against the Storm patch dates closer. I'm glad I just got the reward for the current map but I had logged of from a foregone conclusion to go to bed a couple nights ago and I was hoping to get the endorphin hit of a victory screen more than the actual roguelike rewards.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

explosivo posted:

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Same. I don’t know what it’s missing for me but it just never seems to want to stick.

Same, I really liked 2070 and 2205, which 1800 expands on a lot, but for some reason I just couldn't get as invested in a 1800 run.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

zedprime posted:

I guess I need to watch the Against the Storm patch dates closer. I'm glad I just got the reward for the current map but I had logged of from a foregone conclusion to go to bed a couple nights ago and I was hoping to get the endorphin hit of a victory screen more than the actual roguelike rewards.
It's every second Thursday.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I really with IXION let you relocate buildings.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

I really wish IXION let you relocate buildings.

And had building footprints on the tech tree.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

I really with IXION let you relocate buildings.

After Against the Storm I am not interested in the slightest in going back to destroy and rebuild.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm just mad that they aren't letting me transfer my ubisoft copy of anno 1800 to steam.

(and the steam version still has you launch the ubisoft launcher so c'mon guys)

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Does IXION do those moral choice things that Frost Punk did? The "Let the children work" versus "Send the children to school" choices? I hated those. I don't want to be forced into being Snow Hitler or Snow Pope (or in this case Space Hitler or Space Pope).

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm getting into chapter 2 and it's starting to feel important.

For example, there are buildings that can make use of waste but you need to enable a policy to be able to use waste at all. This is done through a building but it only applies to that sector. Having superfluous buildings taking up space, power, and workers starts to add up. I'm probably going to start a new game and try to focus on specializing my first sector for industry.

Something to note is that you'll probably want to make good use of assigning ships to docks and making sure those ships are bringing in goods that you can store in that sector. So in my example, after I open up the second sector, I'm going to assign research and mining ships to that sector's dock while the cargo ships bringing in raw material go to my first dock.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Brutakas posted:

Does IXION do those moral choice things that Frost Punk did? The "Let the children work" versus "Send the children to school" choices? I hated those. I don't want to be forced into being Snow Hitler or Snow Pope (or in this case Space Hitler or Space Pope).

There are some moral choices but most are more like "promises", like promise you won't send people into dangerous space anomaly or promise you'll unfreeze people so the survivor might find their family. They are not really permanent narrative element like they are in Frostpunk. It's more like quest you can accept.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

How do the timed orders in Against the Storm work? I'm assuming they replace one of the normal orders.
Do you have an option of taking a non-timed order instead?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

LLSix posted:

How do the timed orders in Against the Storm work? I'm assuming they replace one of the normal orders.
Do you have an option of taking a non-timed order instead?

When timed order appears it'll appear with 2 regular order. When you open a timed order the game is immediately paused and cannot be unpaused until you pick an option. The timed order is usually balanced so you'll have to drop everything and be 100% focused on doing them to achieve. The reward is most of the time very good, but if you can't complete the order in time you get nothing so it's somewhat risky.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Brutakas posted:

The closest thing it does is that some areas your scientists go to will offer multiple paths, only one of which you can choose.

For example: your scientists arrive at a location where a space station is making the final fall into its planet's atmosphere. Do you rescue some of the cryostasis colonists falling into the planet's atmosphere? A lot but risk losing your scientists and all of the colonists you picked up if you smack into debris? Or just ignore them to grab resources and documents from the space station instead?

At no point does it give you a "oh, you have made an evil choice" response or anything. Different things happen, and the results may be somewhat randomized, so something taking the risk works and sometimes it doesn't.

Anyways, fell into a death spiral near the end of chapter 2 because I wasn't expanding fast enough, I was paranoid about opening sector #4 too soon and the end result was I let my steel production languish and when I desperately needed resources to expand and stop everything from falling apart, I couldn't produce enough steel fast enough.

Now I have to decide if I'm re-doing Chapter 2, or starting completely over again because my layout was bad from the get go. Which says a lot about how much I'm enjoying the game, that I can have put 12 hours into it, get told to start all over again, and I'm pretty cool with that

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If it helps you make a decision I’m very happy with my restart after everything fell apart at the same place.

Got the -1 for hanging out too long and it doesn’t matter at all because I got the 2nd tier housing and had resources for the monuments. My “industrial sector” is now half insect farms though so I probably should leave as soon as I get some stockpiles of building materials so I can actually research again.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

hobbesmaster posted:

If it helps you make a decision I’m very happy with my restart after everything fell apart at the same place.

Got the -1 for hanging out too long and it doesn’t matter at all because I got the 2nd tier housing and had resources for the monuments. My “industrial sector” is now half insect farms though so I probably should leave as soon as I get some stockpiles of building materials so I can actually research again.
Just mentioning that there's a upgrade for your tech lab which increases the passive science generation from something like 1/30 to 3/5.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Mayveena posted:

After Against the Storm I am not interested in the slightest in going back to destroy and rebuild.

I’m enjoying Ixion but yeah it’s baffling that dismantling stuff gives you a full refund of the building materials, but you can’t just relocate it. I guess it adds some challenge in that you have to find space, power, and workers to run a stockpile to store those materials if you don’t have space in an existing one, but mostly it just adds a bunch of fiddly busywork. It’s easily my biggest complaint about an otherwise fun game.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Yeah needing to schlep mats to a stockpile as an intermediate step is annoying. Workers should just dismantle then move things directly to the next site.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It looks great. Which makes me wonder how well it runs on older systems. Wish the demo was up. :/

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

The demo ran fine on my 11 year old PC

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Is there some way to avoid having my ships fly straight through bad space weather clouds and blowing themselves up other than toggling avoid or the materials in question off and later back on when you have a clear path? It'd be fine if the weather was between my mothership and the resources, then I could just toggle avoid on and forget about it until I get around to relocating the mothership. But sometimes they'll fly straight from one site to another through bad weather and I have no idea they're doing it until I get the alert they're dead and I just lost a leveled up ship. Here's a post-reload screenshot showing what I mean, spoilering for chapter 2 planet and asteroid locations just in case anyone is bothered:

I can toggle avoid on the iron but then it just paths through the same cloud toward a whole other bunch of asteroids I'd have to toggle off and on again too. At this point the easiest thing to do will be to toggle all the resource collection off the ship so it flies home and then re-enable everything again when it has a safe path but that's fiddly and annoying and I'm wondering if I'm missing a "use your god drat common sense and don't fly through the giant loving death cloud" button somewhere that I'm missing or even a "fly home before you go anywhere else" button

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
So the bastards finally put Anno 1880 on Steam, and as I understand, buying the super cheap base edition will lock me out of the discounted complete edition with all the DLC at 60USD. I'm skint this winter so I'd rather wait. That said, for anyone who has been following the game, do you think it'll reach 60 for the complete edition again in another sale?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Man I wish I’d gotten the recycling centre online earlier. So much waste purged that could have been turned into precious alloys. Like hundreds. And god drat could I use them now. I think I might have to start over, I have no idea how I’m gonna find enough for the colony now

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

so is the endgame to drive the ship up not-elon's rear end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

toasterwarrior posted:

So the bastards finally put Anno 1880 on Steam, and as I understand, buying the super cheap base edition will lock me out of the discounted complete edition with all the DLC at 60USD. I'm skint this winter so I'd rather wait. That said, for anyone who has been following the game, do you think it'll reach 60 for the complete edition again in another sale?

i thought there's more dlcs announced still anyway so i'm just gonna wait until the ~ultimate turbo complete~ edition is $30 in a couple years lol