Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Every Fromsoft game I've tried, and for some reason spent money on, has felt like a game by a masochist, for masochists

I was at least half right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i feel like the "for masochists" take really falls apart considering that not only was the first one so popular that it created an entire copycat genre that's been going strong for over a decade, but elden ring has been a more massive success than any from software game before it. that's a whole lot of masochists!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I loved every other From souls game, but couldn't get into Elden Ring.

Maybe it was because I got spoiled on Nioh 2's combat :v:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Volte posted:

I didn't take any Typhon powers on my first run (except the one you're allowed to without affecting anything I think) and I actually think it worked better that way. It got very tense at times. I did a victory lap playthrough with full Typhon powers immediately after and it took like a quarter of the time and I was just making GBS threads on everything by the end. The Typhon stuff would have made a good NG+ unlock I think.

IIRC, you get wiggle room for 2-3 at which point the only thing that happens is that turrets become your enemy by default, but I think you can still hack them or otherwise manipulate them as you like, you just can't stand in front of them without them shooting you. It's the softest, least restrictive penalty imaginable.

It does seem like challenge runs and/or higher difficulty modes would make for a better game or at least delay the problems with it a bit longer. My biggest issue was that the opening sequence was 12/10 cool as gently caress, exploring the lobby and scavenging for resources and trying not to run afoul of what would ultimately be the game's most basic enemies was exactly the right sort of exploration + tension I was after, and then maybe an hour or two later the game fundamentally breaks down because you start getting access to everything and anything you could want. The game's open-ended approach to problem solving backfires because every approach is roughly equally valid with no real distinction; every locked office will generally have the same 3-4 ways of getting inside and once you figure them out there's no actual reason to prefer one over another. And in the opposite sense, once you figure out everything, say, the nerf gun can do (if the game doesn't outright spell it out for you the second you pick it up, like with the gloo gun) then the game never really challenges you to invent new, spontaneous solutions. The puzzle is permanently solved for the rest of the game.

The only other way the game could force you into tricky situations is with enemies...but regular enemies are really basic and boring and defanged once you have any kind of decent combat power (weapon upgrade kits aren't all that hard to track down/make such that you're ever falling behind on raw damage) and more advanced enemies get hard countered by Psychoshock. Or I guess Electroshock sometimes too, but why not just use Psychoshock? And regardless, the offensive powers are all very :effort: and boring while the more creative ones are just another flavor of "how do I get around this locked door" or whatever.

Re: plot, the twist wasn't exactly hard to guess and the way it recontextualized the entire game made me feel like my time was wasted.

At some point I need to try Mooncrash because it's possible it could be a lot closer to what I'm after, but I wasn't in a rush after being disappointed with the base game.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 10, 2022

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
dork posts

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also on the subject of immersive sims my memory is completely failing me - there was an imsim in development that was going around a few months ago that I think had roguelite-ish elements and basically you'd start with your pick of something like 1 of 9 really weirdly specialized and inventive gadgets that could mess with the environment/enemies/whatever and work your way through. But like hell can I remember the name of it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

John Murdoch posted:

Also on the subject of immersive sims my memory is completely failing me - there was an imsim in development that was going around a few months ago that I think had roguelite-ish elements and basically you'd start with your pick of something like 1 of 9 really weirdly specialized and inventive gadgets that could mess with the environment/enemies/whatever and work your way through. But like hell can I remember the name of it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
It's called Hitman, OP

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

i feel like the "for masochists" take really falls apart considering that not only was the first one so popular that it created an entire copycat genre that's been going strong for over a decade, but elden ring has been a more massive success than any from software game before it. that's a whole lot of masochists!

That would explain a whole lot of people’s voting choices, honestly.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

someone on twitter was trying to convince people it was genre defying or some poo poo

it's an open world game, what. we've had that for at least since oblivion if not earlier

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Majin posted:

That would explain a whole lot of people’s voting choices, honestly.

who are you bill maher

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

John Murdoch posted:

At some point I need to try Mooncrash because it's possible it could a lot closer to what I'm after, but I wasn't in a rush after being disappointed with the base game.
You should really play Mooncrash.

It solves the problems base Prey and Deathloop have by forcing you to play with all the different archetypes, as well as by randomizing item placement and hazards in the world so that there's never any guaranteed way to get into particular locations. There's always some way, but each individual method is never guaranteed. Maybe you know you can get into the office via hacking, but on this "run" the power's out, so you have to go fix that first. And maybe the zone where the office is was clear last "run", but this time it has a radiation leak, so you need to find some anti-rads so you don't die getting to the office in the first place.

To me, the pinnacle of the imm-sim experience is when you have to improvise and use the tools at hand. You never have to do that in base Prey and Deathloop, because they give you infinite time to find the tools you need to solve any problem. Meanwhile Mooncrash's "runs" are on a soft time limit and you can't quicksave, and the enemies grow more powerful the longer you dawdle. Combine that with the fact that no solution is ever guaranteed, and you pretty much have imm-sim perfection. When I played it through the first time, I could not put it down.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Fuligin posted:

er's open world is superfluous n dull

youre actually out of your mind if u believe this for one second. probabl;y the single greatest game world ever created, with very few contenders even close

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

someone on twitter was trying to convince people it was genre defying or some poo poo

it's an open world game, what. we've had that for at least since oblivion if not earlier

this. any game with an open world is literally the same as oblvision. same genre too.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Every Fromsoft game I've tried, and for some reason spent money on, has felt like a game by a masochist, for masochists

I was at least half right

theyre not hard. if you think this you are simply not very good at games.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Popular Game?

more like CRAPular Game

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

some of the posters in this thread, lost so deeply in their anhedonia, would arrive at the gates of heaven and immediately begin complaining to god that the clouds werent soft enough.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

I didn't like how as I got farther into Elden Ring, the bosses and tougher enemies would do more input reading reaction moves, where like I hit the roll button once and they immediately, on the frame, stop whatever they were doing and go into a big input reading gigacombo on me over it. Once I realized it was happening it kind of took me out of the experience some, and I'm not usually a souls game difficulty complainer.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

John Murdoch posted:

Having dug back through my wishlist and searching around online, I'm pretty sure this was a slightly distorted memory of Ctrl Alt Ego.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Mischievous Mink posted:

I didn't like how as I got farther into Elden Ring, the bosses and tougher enemies would do more input reading reaction moves, where like I hit the roll button once and they immediately, on the frame, stop whatever they were doing and go into a big input reading gigacombo on me over it. Once I realized it was happening it kind of took me out of the experience some, and I'm not usually a souls game difficulty complainer.

the game doesnt read inputs. absoltue 1000% pure cope.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Stux posted:

??? Sure it does. Even some regular enemies do.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

it literally does not. do you have input reading bcos u can see the animation for something and respond.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Mischievous Mink posted:

??? Sure it does. Even some regular enemies do.

I remember a really silly example being those lion guardians in redmane castle doing a dramatic dodge jump if you fire your bow, even if they're really far away, not aggroed or aware of you, and you don't even have to be shooting at them, but every time you hit the bumper, like puppets on a string, they lurch every time lol.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

wheni instantly respond to the enemies animation tell, even when it is slight and extremely early, that s simply me being good at the game. when the ai can also do it and i refuse to adapt to this, its cheating and input reading.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Stux posted:

wheni instantly respond to the enemies animation tell, even when it is slight and extremely early, that s simply me being good at the game. when the ai can also do it and i refuse to adapt to this, its cheating and input reading.

You're taking it a lot harder than I did lol, I beat and enjoyed the game.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

im sorry you are objectively incorrect. with time, you will learn to accep t it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Not me, I've been getting plenty of hedons lately, from playing ASTLIBRA - Revision. It's a Japanese indie game that was in development for 15 years before this remake, where they got the Vanillaware artist to come in and redo all the character portraits, among other improvements (like: an english translation).

It a side-scrolling JRPG, not exactly a metroidvania, though it does have the occaional puzzle and allows you to backtrack freely after a certain point. It's more like old Japanese PC RPGs like the Ys games from the 80s and 90s, but with actual good combat instead of bumping into enemies. Also, just... a lot more content.

It's got several upgrade systems, in addition to picking equipment and a variable number of accessories (you get upgrades that increase how many you can equip). The GROWTH map (picture above) is a bit like the PoE grid or the sphere grid, but it's designed to be cleared out and also contains magic abilities and treasures for you to unlock.

The localization is a little spotty at times, but I, personally, find it very charming. And the plot is fuckin' buck wild, involving lots of time travel shenanigans.

The visual style is uhhh unique, let's say. Drawing from many different sources to make kind of a collage, except for the aforementioned character portratits, which are quite good. Some areas and enemies look much better than others, but again, I think that only adds to the charm.

This game is meaty. I've put about 40 hours into it, and I'm just now in the final chapter. Some of that was grinding for materials to make equipment, but not very much. It's defienitely worth the price, and feels like a good replacement for the IGAvania-style game, since the man himself refuses to announce a sequel to Bloodstained. It's not exactly the same, but it hits the same buttons as those, especially the DS entries.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Stop posting and start coping

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

to me "input reading" means the AI can react to your inputs as soon as they get queued/buffered, potentially before your character even begins executing the move

reacting to your moves when they actually execute is just how game AI works

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Of course the game reads your inputs, that's how it knows what moves your guy is supposed to do!!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Settle down gamers!

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Stux posted:

theyre not hard. if you think this you are simply not very good at games.

Like I said, at least half right

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

eagerly awaiting stux's breakdown of how Miyazaki is poo poo at being a masochist

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

well you clearly understood whath part i was replying to. well played.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I just can't picture a better open world than ER's, despite the reuse. Other games just do it worse, they just do. i wouldn't hate the concept of open worlds otherwise, I've just seen too many bad and dull ones.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What about Kenshi

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

sebmojo posted:

Really? Do you have a link? I don't remember that, the title of the thread was THEY MADE A THIRD SYSTEM SHOCK AND CALLED IT PREY iirc

So I went back to the thread instead of relying on my terrible memory from 2017 and started looking at posts from release date onward and it was more positive than I remember, but the consistent thing I saw over like 40ish pages of posts that I skimmed through was people loving the game but pointing out significant flaws in a lot of the things I mentioned. I tried not to cherrypick and grab everything posted by someone who was posting more than just their initial impressions:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3814875&pagenumber=20&perpage=40#post472072481
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3814875&pagenumber=20&perpage=40#post472072852
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3814875&pagenumber=22&perpage=40#post472083702
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3814875&pagenumber=32&perpage=40#post472118501
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3814875&pagenumber=41&perpage=40#post472173715
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3814875&pagenumber=38&perpage=40#post472149260
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3814875&pagenumber=32&perpage=40#post472118501
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3814875&pagenumber=44&perpage=40#post472195795
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3814875&pagenumber=47&perpage=40#post472220353
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3814875&pagenumber=48&perpage=40#post472231756
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3814875&pagenumber=56&perpage=40#post472288017
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3814875&pagenumber=57&perpage=40#post472298755

One annoying thing I've noticed going down this memory lane is the amount of posters that would jump BACK into the thread to repeat their opinion over multiple pages despite no one asking. I had to start filtering those folks out. :laffo: Knifegrab come on what is this post

Knifegrab posted:

This game has amazing level design, garbage enemy design, pretty bad human design/animation, decent-ish weapons, cool and fun powers, and a story that becomes laughably terrible towards the end. Also good lord the bugs.

Its not the second coming of christ but it is a good game.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Anyway that's enough reading threads from 2017 for tonight

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Stux posted:

enemies react to actions like drinking an estus flask faster than a human opponent could've reacted because they don't wait until the animation is at a recognizable point, they just react instantly the moment you begin the action
that said i think it's cool and good that there are bosses who can punish a flask usage 100% of the time so they force you to actually find the real windows instead of drinking in the open and hoping to get lucky or outheal the hit

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The 7th Guest posted:

I just can't picture a better open world than ER's, despite the reuse. Other games just do it worse, they just do. i wouldn't hate the concept of open worlds otherwise, I've just seen too many bad and dull ones.

no it's the worst part by far. otherwise excellent game though :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the open world in er is great but at the same time it makes the game much less appealing to replay than other souls games