Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

burning swine posted:

new MS teams adventure today at work
somehow, the text input box changed to "drop your files here" during use, and nothing I do can get it to go away. Can't click through that thing to type text, that's for sure

it's UI race conditions all the way down

thats the power of javascript

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it seems fine for connecting my phone to my speaker amp and such.

Shaggar posted:

if your wireless device doesnt come with its own proprietary dongle you got scammed

definitely the case for mouses and keyboards.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i've had ok luck w/ bt for input devices but yeah dongles work 100x better for that

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

i've had ok luck w/ bt for input devices but yeah dongles work 100x better for that

:dong:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
bt sucks for input peripherals because theres no uefi drivers loaded by default

burning swine
May 26, 2004

back in like 2008 or so when I worked uni IT we had a rotating schedule of users around campus for whom we had to lug a wired keyboard out to perform the pairing process for their BT keyboard, every single time the users had to change batteries. Actually pairing a BT keyboard prior to having, well, working keyboard input, was a chicken/egg problem that nobody had solved. Typing the PIN was mandatory even if it was 0000

I assume it isn't still that bad but what exactly is the value-add for a BT keyboard instead of something with a dongle that works without configuration

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i use the bluetooth apple keyboard with my pc because i'm lazy. pairing isn't a massive pain in the rear end exactly, i remember having to do the pin thing a couple times with (i think) other models but probably not any time within the past decade

really i think you hit it on the head though: the problem is that even if a uefi driver exists and is supported, there's generally no way to load it. hell most of the time you can't get an efi shell at all. gotta hope the oem left a script or write one yourself, i guess

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bluetooth mouses are also noticeably laggy and imprecise. i have a 1000hz mouse on my desktop and using a cheap bluetooth one in contrast is just....hooooooooo boy

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
my bt Logitech mouse will randomly drop connection to my iMac. and I refuse to use the dongle because that's why I got a BT mouse in the first place drat it !!

and also don't want to install the janky rear end Logitech software

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 12, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i have the older full-key apple wired kb too and for the mx master i just put the receiver in one of the keyboard's usb 2.0 hub ports

worksforme, literally forgot about it. bt was spotty as poo poo like 6 feet away

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

that post just reminded me i have another one in my monitor's useless usb hub

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

burning swine posted:

somehow, the text input box changed to "drop your files here" during use, and nothing I do can get it to go away. Can't click through that thing to type text, that's for sure

Lol it's done this to me a couple of times too, and work haven't paid for whatever sharepoint garbage makes it work so dropping files in there just makes an angry warning pop-up. Doesn't get rid of the "drop your files here" message in the first place tho

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Shaggar posted:

bt is trash and if your wireless device doesnt come with its own proprietary dongle you got scammed

Microsoft's dongle gets a lot of interference from nearby USB 3 devices so I had to go back to BT.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
airpods integration between multiple apple devices does work really well, good point

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Lysidas posted:

airpods integration between multiple apple devices does work really well, good point

my airpods are loving amazing, i have had zero issues w/ mine since i got them a week ago

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
ive only ever had one issue, in which the left airpod started emitting a faint high-frequency noise through the speaker and wouldnt communicate with any devices or charge or be reset/turned off by putting it in the charge case

had to leave it out of the case to let its battery die, been working fine ever since, apparently some people have needed replacements from those symptoms

mine are first-gen normal airpods too

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i always wait for gen 2 to avoid that sort of thing, not that is always works out for me vOv

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

microsoft why

i like windows 10 a lot but holy gently caress can you get the settings app together

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
theyll replace it with something worse

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

just keep adding links to the legacy dialog forever

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i would like to fire the windows operating system out of a cannon

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

microsoft why

i like windows 10 a lot but holy gently caress can you get the settings app together

the problem is the new settings app's design goal is "simple," but the original control panel was designed around the reality that windows settings are complex and dynamic. Its a conflict the new UI cant solve without becoming the old UI.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

i would like to fire the windows operating system out of a cannon

I would like to defenestrate the windows operating system

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

the problem is the new settings app's design goal is "simple," but the original control panel was designed around the reality that windows settings are complex and dynamic. Its a conflict the new UI cant solve without becoming the old UI.

every settings panel should just have two tabs then. a "basic" one that has the four things they think the dummies want, and an "advanced" panel that has every setting that exists.

it's not that different in concept from how it is how, but the advanced tab should not be a separate window, and it certainly shouldn't be three levels deep.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

it's because they wanted to replace it without actually getting rid of the old control panel, which was itself bolted on top of a bunch of old settings dialogs. turns out it was complex out of necessity!

you can still get to it with start->run "control"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

every settings panel should just have two tabs then. a "basic" one that has the four things they think the dummies want, and an "advanced" panel that has every setting that exists.

it's not that different in concept from how it is how, but the advanced tab should not be a separate window, and it certainly shouldn't be three levels deep.

Alot of the old control panel worked like that: Basic + a button for Advanced.

The problem is the new settings dialogs have fewer features that the old "Basic" control panel version. So when you want to get more features than the new settings dialog you have to show both the Basic control panel dialog and the Advanced control panel dialog. You get effectively 3 different versions of the same settings: Simple (Settings App), Basic (control panel), and Advanced (control panel).

The desire to create a new settings app that uses a modern UI language and has support for things like DPI scaling makes sense, but it was probably the wrong approach if you werent going to replace dialogs 1 for 1. They should have spent the time modernizing the windows shell UI components that make up the control panel and everything else in the explorer shell. It would have been a massive undertaking, but they ended up doing alot of it for windows 11 anyways

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Clark Nova posted:

I would like to defenestrate the windows operating system

hell yea lets go :doit:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

burning swine posted:

had this happen to me a few weeks ago. :yum:

had to restart

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

congrats on your hosed hardware and/or device driver

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Get your McTray at McDonald's 2day!

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
can you still use progman working on the latest versions of windows

CACHE MANIFEST
Sep 17, 2022

Sagebrush posted:

microsoft why

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\POWERCFG.CPL INTO THE RUN DIALOG. ITS CUSTOMIZE A POWER PLAN AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE

I START DOING C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SYSDM.CPL ,3 ALONGSIDE THE ADVANCED SYSTEM SETTINGS UAC PROMPT

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

They just took away the "advanced settings" link

You have to go open the old control panel (which still exists) on its own

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
lmao windows

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
give them some time, its only been 10 years since they introduced to new setting ui

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

can you still use progman working on the latest versions of windows

if you mean taskmgr then yeah although they hosed it in the most recent cumulative update:

Pile Of Garbage posted:

same issue after installing the update on my PC at home. this is what taskmgr looks like now:

i love how critical OS features that were previously bullet-proof are now susceptible to the same issues that you'd expect to see on lovely asset-swap unity engine game

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe