Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
This game was the loving poo poo. Literally the precursor to the modern Grand Theft Auto franchise. Incredible storyline and world-building. Creepy music and setting. Cinematic, yet minimal cutscenes. Legitimately challenging battles with waves of enemies.

I never got past the second world (Java) as a kid, because I had no skills and also the game scared the bejeezus out of me. I've tried to go back and replay it, even going so far as to find and dust off my old N64, but the colour palette is especially grating - a lot of bright colours, specifically orange, and it does NOT look good on a new TV. But I've watched plenty of YT videos made by people actually dedicated enough to beat the whole thing, and it really is a solid work. I'd love to see it remade, although if they did it right, IDK if I'd honestly want to play it because it would be too scary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR_fa9jXXD4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Spatula
Apr 16, 2007
This was one of those games I rented so much it would have been cheaper to just buy it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
That's no halo for sure.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

This game looks cool as hell.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Back in the day, I bought this game at a local store that only had like seven games for sale (pretty sure I also bought Clayfighter 63 1/3 there, regret). Body Harvest is cool as poo poo. The first level you get to drive a tank and get a mirror shield that shoots sun beams. Java was hard as heck but I'm pretty sure I sequence broke it by firing the elephant gun while in fanboat to jump a river.
Just looking at that sentence makes me remember how weird this game was. Pretty fun overall. Not sure if it aged well.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
2016: Shoulder armour has advanced but we lost sleeve technology

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

Back in the day, I bought this game at a local store that only had like seven games for sale (pretty sure I also bought Clayfighter 63 1/3 there, regret). Body Harvest is cool as poo poo. The first level you get to drive a tank and get a mirror shield that shoots sun beams. Java was hard as heck but I'm pretty sure I sequence broke it by firing the elephant gun while in fanboat to jump a river.

I remember the mirror shield, you needed it to break some statue or something like that. And yeah, vaguely remember something about a gap that was just too wide to jump in Java, unless you had a specific vehicle (or were smart enough to figure out the elephant gun exploit). That may have been what made me give up on the game. If I were a couple of years older I'd probably have stuck it out.

The premise was super cool because each map was a big ol' sandbox at some significant period in history. Greece during the 1st world war, Java during the second, America in the 60s, Siberia at the fall of the Soviet Union. And then poo poo got real weird and you had to fight an evil clone of yourself on the alien comet.

I'd probably go back and try to play the whole thing if the colour palette wasn't so hard on the eyes. Those bugs were loving scary, too.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
I remember seeing this in an issue of Nintendo power, I think it was a guide to the game or something and I must've reread it a million times. Never played this one but I did play space station silicon valley which I believe was also dma. That was cool, another cool open world ish thing.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

i must compose posted:

space station silicon valley

Oh gently caress yeah, this is another one I wish I had the patience to finish when I was a kid. This one seems to be memoryholed for a significant number of people; any time I've gotten into N64 nostalgia with friends and I bring it up people look at me like I'm insane. Incredibly cool concept, great sense of humour, great music.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

I remember that jump in Java. I always tried to make it with the motorcycle. I always wondered why they chose orange for his suit. I mean you would think they would want him to be camoflauged.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Very disappointed not to see a Body Harvest sequel announced at the game awards this year.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
The icecream truck has the same in body harvest as in all the GTA games

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Mister Speaker posted:

Literally the precursor to the modern Grand Theft Auto franchise.
lmfao

body harvest was okay but it was definitely not this

Also GTA was already out

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Jelly posted:

No, it literally is. DMA Design would later become Rockstar North, the game is obviously prototypical of the third-person carjacking sandbox style (obviously not the first two GTA games though), and as previously noted there are a handful of references to the game in the GTA series. The ice cream truck jingle, a mission in San Andreas literally called 'Body Harvest', etc.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Mister Speaker posted:

No, it literally is. DMA Design would later become Rockstar North, the game is obviously prototypical of the third-person carjacking sandbox style (obviously not the first two GTA games though), and as previously noted there are a handful of references to the game in the GTA series. The ice cream truck jingle, a mission in San Andreas literally called 'Body Harvest', etc.

oh

well fine that's really interesting

idk I didn't think it had the allure of a lot of other games on the N64

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The rainforest level always had so much loving atmosphere to me, it was thick as hell and I think the furthest I ever got in the game. I remember there was some level in America and if you explore a bit there's a random building in the middle of a desert canyon with a sign that says "Bates Motel" in front of it. I remember running into that as a kid and not understanding it.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
It has a killer cover, at least.

Reminds me a lot of the cover for the infamous cult cards Dinosaurs Attack!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah the box art was definitely a big part of why I bought it as a kid.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I know I played this but I don't really remember it but I think I remember driving cars around and getting like a cool shield or something that hosed stuff up but then you'd run out of time and lose or something? Idk

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Nooner posted:

I know I played this but I don't really remember it but I think I remember driving cars around and getting like a cool shield or something that hosed stuff up but then you'd run out of time and lose or something? Idk

Road rash

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Nooner posted:

Diddy Kong Racing

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

https://youtu.be/El7oQYQXeWA

Great music too

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I remember this kid in 3rd grade being like Jet Force Gemini is cooler and I was like oh wow you get to shoot ants with your pet dog??? Well this game is called loving Body Harvest and you're fighting giant bugs with tanks you little dweeb.

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 10, 2022

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Yeah it was awesome and the atmosphere was really eerie for its time, very Threads/Post Apocalyptic somehow. The music was creepy.

It was also extremely long and difficult and the lack of a good checkpoint and waypoint system made it REALLY loving tough, I probably rented it like 5-6 times but never got past the first hour.

You could see now how it's a precursor to GTA. The idea that you could freely drive around the world and go in and out of vehicles was bonkers.

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

If you held down the Z trigger while entering a building the dude would combat roll inside and a check the corners with his blaster, even though as far as I know there were never enemies inside

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Never heard of it op, I think you're just making poo poo up

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

I remember playing this for a little bit as kid with my mate but I dont think we ever got past the first level. I remember it being confusing as poo poo because of the heavy fog.

I always thought that a cool idea for GTA:SA mod would be basically GTA meets EDF. Just driving around San Andreas shooting giant ants with Tec-9s from your car and looking back on it this is basically what this game is. It would be really cool if someone made this kind of game today or we got a remake or a Body Harvest 2 or something

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
This and space station silicon valley were two games that I played a lot but never got any good at. Still fun games for sure and I'm glad I got the chance to enjoy them while I was young.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

every n64 game looks like absolute poo poo I don't know how anyone even knew what they were playing

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

every n64 game looks like absolute poo poo I don't know how anyone even knew what they were playing

Majora's Mask

but I mean Playstation looked even worse so

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
3d was a mistake. :colbert:

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

The time period thing really made the game shine. But the idea of an open world you could explore was wild. I liked driving the goofy yellow car in Greece, and specifically remember merking aliens with the Panzerkampfwagen.

Nooner posted:

I do remember there was something like an Invasion gauge, if you let too many people die or didn't stop the aliens when they attacked a town, you could lose.

Didn't realize the ice cream truck made it into the GTA series. That is pretty rad.

E: I also had Space Station Silicon Valley, very cool game but was brutally difficult at points.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
One of the robots in space station silicon valley had a poop button which is something that needs to be done more often.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jelly posted:

lmfao

I don't get this post. It could be complete poo poo and still be the precursor to 3D GTA in terms of gameplay concepts, even if it weren't for the lineage of the studio. Did you think he was just saying "it's good" in a really convoluted way?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I don't get this post. It could be complete poo poo and still be the precursor to 3D GTA in terms of gameplay concepts, even if it weren't for the lineage of the studio. Did you think he was just saying "it's good" in a really convoluted way?

That's kind of obviously what happened, who cares!?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Game owns

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

i must compose posted:

One of the robots in space station silicon valley had a poop button which is something that needs to be done more often.

Not enough people are talking about this game! Top 5 for the console

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'm not mad about it. I can totally see not knowing the games were related especially if you didn't know that AMD became Rockstar. I didn't know that until a few years ago and only in retrospect does it make so much sense.

Yes there absolutely was an 'invasion meter', I forgot about that. Apparently it was possible to beat the game without a single human lost, in which case you'd be treated to a cutscene of your pink-haired comrade giving you a smooch.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hated when the goop grabbed me lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

yeah i played it