Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

this weekend’s track

https://on.soundcloud.com/BbEdmsngX23GLjHr9

ends abruptly and weirdly because i got sick of working on it

key is A minor pentatonic with some out-of-scale notes here and there, structure is lol who knows, genre is ??? my best guess is “tracker music”.

i can hear the seeds of good in this. i can tap my feet to it, i can enjoy it, but I don’t get understand it. it’s pretty formless, and doesn’t have a specific goal or something that it “should“ be. appropriate, i suppose

it's got that thing where the bassline melody starts out with a different downbeat or at least my brain settles into a rhythm and then like 10 seconds in has to recalibrate itself to what is actually going on. this is a neat trick and some famous tracks (that i forget at this point) do this too

i like the sounds you have going in there, feels like it is a synth business punk song, in video terms: shots of sped up factory lines, traffic, trains, business suit men rushing around sort of feeling. you could cheat and end it suddenly with an explosion sample and it would instantly become a critique of the unsustainability of high octane capitalist systems

my weekly this week is a track where i tried to record some more interesting basslines (after having learned what is 12 bar blues) and also to record stuff real time instead of just copy pasting a 8 bar loop https://soundcloud.com/trent-hawkin...=social_sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Pretty much got all the kit for my little brother's christmas gift together here, he loved playing with my Volca Keys before that got jacked so I'm hooking him up with the Keys, Drum, a Keystep and Midi Thru box to control it, and a nice little stand to tie it all together. Think I can nab an old rackmount Kawai mixer off my buddy to get the sound routed and have some effects loops he can hook his guitar pedals in with, but I'm a bit stumped on what to do for a speaker solution. The built in speakers on those units are pretty garbo so I'd like to get him something a bit nicer to hear it all through, but full on studio monitors might be a bit overkill. Any recommendations on like a decent portable speaker or similar for the job?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

4lokos basilisk posted:

it's got that thing where the bassline melody starts out with a different downbeat or at least my brain settles into a rhythm and then like 10 seconds in has to recalibrate itself to what is actually going on. this is a neat trick and some famous tracks (that i forget at this point) do this too

i think that’s syncopation? or something like it, at least. it’s very useful and effective but can be overused or wielded incorrectly like anything else.

i have a habit of making melodies and harmonies with contrasting/offset rhythms like 50/50 syncopation in my head when i’m bored or walking around. when i write ill tweak phrases to start on the next downbeat or to start on the previous upbeat (as as vice versa) just to see how it sounds. if it’s good it stays

advanced technique is to go in and out of syncopation. pro technique is to go in and out of syncopation with purpose

quote:

i like the sounds you have going in there, feels like it is a synth business punk song, in video terms: shots of sped up factory lines, traffic, trains, business suit men rushing around sort of feeling. you could cheat and end it suddenly with an explosion sample and it would instantly become a critique of the unsustainability of high octane capitalist systems

interesting visualization! maybe it’s just cuz i’m listening to it right now, but on relistening it could pass as a long-lost, beepier Sonic CD track which would be very appropriate for what you imagine.

i didn’t have any picture in mind when making this, all i had going in was this poorly written plan:

it is what it is :v:

quote:

my weekly this week is a track where i tried to record some more interesting basslines (after having learned what is 12 bar blues) and also to record stuff real time instead of just copy pasting a 8 bar loop https://soundcloud.com/trent-hawkin...=social_sharing

oooo v v chill, i like it. good use of (i think?) a flanged EP as both countermelody and pad (since it holds its notes a lot). i need to get better at that myself. was this made with an actual bass or samples/a patch?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwcK-twSXB4

gonna Moises this and try my hand at a housey remix this week

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
picked up my acoustic bass guitar again after rather ignoring it for a year while i raised abby. god puppies can be such assholes.

anyway i was never all that good and 95% of my practice has been via yousician which is probably teaching me bad habits but i'm having fun so whatever. at some point though i should probably see an instructor about reducing things like fret buzz

also tried out my electric bass -- one of those hofner violin-style basses mccartney uses and... i just can't gel with the thing, y'know? just feels so awkward and hard to press down on the strings compared to the acoustic. maybe i just need to build up the calluses.

think i want to take the acoustic to the luthier who fixed up the hofner after the holidays and give it some tlc. maybe some new strings, see what can be done to make it a bit less... twangy for lack of a better word. too much upper harmonics for my taste

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
consider labella tapewounds, i bet they'd sound cool

will probably be a little quieter but they are the smoothest thing you can buy

i have labella steel flats on my short scale PJ and it sounds like the 60s, and labella tapewounds on my fretless 6 and it sounds like an upright. very cool

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
i'll take a look, thanks! i dont care too much if they're quieter, i dont jam with others at the moment

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
funny coz I’ve always had the opposite experience with acoustic vs electric, as far as the acoustic generally being harder to play and electrics especially nice ones being very easy to play

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its all about string gauge and action

i have a really wide variety of gauges on both my guitars and basses, its neat to experience how different they all feel

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Might need to lower the action if the electric feels harder to fret, electrics generally have a much lower action which makes them a lot easier to play in my experience.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

its all about string gauge and action

yeah, and lovely acoustics tend to have high action to
avoid fret buzz

which of course was the first kind of guitar I had. it’s amazing I kept it up at all

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Keys dexterity is starting to come back. It's funny, all the drum parts I come up with are driving IBM type things, then as soon as I start messing with melodies it's all depressing ballad type lines. Eh, I'll make it work.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
record it and then triple the tempo of the track in your daw

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

i think that’s syncopation? or something like it, at least. it’s very useful and effective but can be overused or wielded incorrectly like anything else.

i have a habit of making melodies and harmonies with contrasting/offset rhythms like 50/50 syncopation in my head when i’m bored or walking around. when i write ill tweak phrases to start on the next downbeat or to start on the previous upbeat (as as vice versa) just to see how it sounds. if it’s good it stays

advanced technique is to go in and out of syncopation. pro technique is to go in and out of syncopation with purpose

no. i'm talking about a more large scale effect. like when you are listening to a track and your mind decides that a certain point is the "start" of the loop or the downbeat, and then the drums come in and the downbeat switches to another point entirely, making your brain readjust.

well idk it may be syncopation too, but i thought that term just meant a rhythmic arrangement, not how the rhythmic arrangement *changes*

Pollyanna posted:

oooo v v chill, i like it. good use of (i think?) a flanged EP as both countermelody and pad (since it holds its notes a lot). i need to get better at that myself. was this made with an actual bass or samples/a patch?

it's all played on a keyboard, using presets from roland xv5080, mostly

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Keys dexterity is starting to come back. It's funny, all the drum parts I come up with are driving IBM type things, then as soon as I start messing with melodies it's all depressing ballad type lines. Eh, I'll make it work.

i'm sorry, is IBM a genre of music?

this is very nice relaxing listening though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCiUtRnG-bg

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
make use of ADSR too. a note that starts 1/16th early with slower attack sounds and feels different from one that starts on the millisecond with a hard attack

that's a big key to making that flowing stuff that has a head nodding groove, rather than robot metronome vibes

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

make use of ADSR too. a note that starts 1/16th early with slower attack sounds and feels different from one that starts on the millisecond with a hard attack

that's a big key to making that flowing stuff that has a head nodding groove, rather than robot metronome vibes

this is a pro tip. Recording a live bluegrass band with a metronome, I’ll look at the waves and see that the bass and mandolin are milliseconds ahead of the metronome, but consistently so, and thus we get drive.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

4lokos basilisk posted:

i'm sorry, is IBM a genre of music?

this is very nice relaxing listening though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCiUtRnG-bg
Oh I'm dumb, EBM lol. Long week.

Family Photo
Dec 26, 2005
*cheese*

4lokos basilisk posted:

like when you are listening to a track and your mind decides that a certain point is the "start" of the loop or the downbeat, and then the drums come in and the downbeat switches to another point entirely, making your brain readjust.

“post-facto metric ambiguity”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpWQj5IPb_4

i’ve also heard this described as “deceptive downbeat”

Family Photo
Dec 26, 2005
*cheese*

see also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57TuvksMR70

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Intelligent Body Music :hai:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ohh okay, I think i get what you mean. I don’t know the more complicated terms :(

c music s: sketched something out in korg gadget 2 today

https://youtu.be/nVd3Ln0uK2k

and am now watching a video on making ebm

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

heads up todays stream is going to start in roughly 1h https://trenthawkins.bandcamp.com/live/telecharger-livestream-79

click if you maybe like krautrock and can stand a guy messing around live with 0 preparation except this dinner i am going to quickly make

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

4lokos basilisk posted:

click if you maybe like krautrock and can stand a guy messing around live with 0 preparation except this dinner i am going to quickly make

I actually caught it this time. Hooray!!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im in

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
twitch app on apple tv doesn't deal well with audio-only streams, it just keeps a frame from the last thing you watched up, and i hence dub thee PickleVision

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

twitch app on apple tv doesn't deal well with audio-only streams, it just keeps a frame from the last thing you watched up, and i hence dub thee PickleVision

this is weird, i have video on twitch too. maybe 360p is too low definition for apple tv. glad to see random crypto bots are still a thing on twitch

anyway thanks for checking out the stream. i dont chat or do anything like that because im too focused on keeping things moving and all. maybe i should do that to attract more viewers idk

i up the videos on youtube by the way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PijKJ4BNxQ

4lokos basilisk fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 6, 2022

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
getting into music theory a bit but intervals not being 0-indexed is really giving me a headache

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Plank Walker posted:

getting into music theory a bit but intervals not being 0-indexed is really giving me a headache

lol

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Honestly, kinda same, makes more sense than unison being interval 1

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

current music status: :negative: the rabbit hole never ends and I may never even see the light at the end of the tunnel

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Pyramid is dope as hell, lets me shunt the Electribe/TR-8 onto it's own midi output to free up a shitload of midi channels. Also makes like 3 of the midi merge/thru boxes I ordered obsolete but hey, I'll take it to not have a goddamn mountain of cables running. Think I can merge the midi out from my Beatstep into the Pyramid for drum sequencing too, will have to gently caress around with it and see what I can come up with.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nice

im the sn30 pro

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
jealous of those energy drinks rn

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

im the meds

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m the vape and also the devil may cry poster

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m the vape and also the devil may cry poster

drat that's an impressive clock. Just showed up in my apartment one day like 8 years ago and it's been moving with me ever since. Oh wait I see the URL now lmao

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Oh poo poo, stepdad hooked me up with a modular starter setup, RIP my disposable income for the forseeable future

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I just made this.

https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/fighting-with-device-drivers

I love it when the AI gets totally confused generating an image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

hello, i have 30 minutes to shill today's stream, posting a cohost link because why not https://cohost.org/thawkins/post/605590-telecharger-livestre