Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think the clear implication is that Makima knew about Sawatari's group but allowed the attack to happen anyway because it suited her purposes of consolidating all of Tokyo's divisions under her and I don't think there's really a need to make the extra step of "she was directly controlling them".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Makima actually wrote the manga. Makima is real 2401

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Katana/sawatari being fully orchestrated by Makima makes no sense too if you remember she meets with the yakuza before the raid asking for info

The names of every criminal throughout all of the Yakuza that purchased a gun isn't something she'd need for the raid, is only needed as part of her moral absolutism. It was a trap to get rid "necessary evils" in the first place, by having Sawatari sell guns then bust everyone that bought them.

The Gun devil being in charge of the attack is false. Not even the Gun Devil would necessarily have the ability to force the Katana Devil to become someone's heart or create a suicide clause to prevent Sawatari from being arrested. So who else is there that could do stuff like that other than Makima?

It's still possible stuff in part 2 could relate to it, especially with Yoshida's shady organization, but so far the only one that could've pulled off the attack is Makima.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Honestly given how all of them seem to have become hybrids I'm suspicious that maybe weapon devils just are prone to doing that. Obviously not universally given Gun. But maybe the fact that weapons are meant to be wielded by humans makes their devils predisposed to it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

LostRook posted:

The Gun devil being in charge of the attack is false. Not even the Gun Devil would necessarily have the ability to force the Katana Devil to become someone's heart or create a suicide clause to prevent Sawatari from being arrested. So who else is there that could do stuff like that other than Makima?

We don't have any proof that Makima could create hybrids, and we do have proof that other people can.

Denji is obvious, of course, but Reze's setup was created by the Soviet government, and Quanxi is somewhere between "old" and "ancient". Makima had nothing to do with any of the three, and there's no proof she was responsible for the others, beyond grabbing them for her personal goon squad.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

(I don't mean anything by this the idea of it just popped into my head so I looked for the longest recent post and made it lmao)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fujimoto struck gold with those pages, I can't stop thinking about them.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Scholtz posted:

(I don't mean anything by this the idea of it just popped into my head so I looked for the longest recent post and made it lmao)

Lol

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

A Sometimes Food posted:

Honestly given how all of them seem to have become hybrids I'm suspicious that maybe weapon devils just are prone to doing that. Obviously not universally given Gun. But maybe the fact that weapons are meant to be wielded by humans makes their devils predisposed to it.

I feel like there's some sense to this, possibly. Weapons are created by humans for human. A weapon on its own, honestly, isn't that scary but becomes infinitely more terrifying when there's someone wielding it.

Anyway, this is just a prelude to my greater fan theory that the car devil is another weapon devil.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Didn't the Yakuza say that they traded money in exchange for guns with the gun devil? Yeah, definitely not the real gun devil

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Scholtz posted:

Good work lmao.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Scholtz posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Scholtz posted:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

yum posted:

Didn't the Yakuza say that they traded money in exchange for guns with the gun devil? Yeah, definitely not the real gun devil

Gun Devil is beheld to Capitalism Devil too

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

yum posted:

Makima revealed later on that was false.

Sawatari was not actually the boss of the Yakuza group though she did set everything up. Given that she was shown as one of the people controlled by Makima after death, I imagine Sawatari was working for Makima, but thought she was working for the Gun Devil.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Makima instructs Princi to gather bodies during the international assassins arc. So I think she might just have taken Sawatari’s body after that raid simply due to her post-mortem contracts ability.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Nuebot posted:

I feel like there's some sense to this, possibly. Weapons are created by humans for human. A weapon on its own, honestly, isn't that scary but becomes infinitely more terrifying when there's someone wielding it.

Anyway, this is just a prelude to my greater fan theory that the car devil is another weapon devil.

"Gun devil doesn't kill people. Aki having a snowfight kills people".

Jokes aside I was thinking similar, weapons need humans to operate them so hybridization seems rational.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

How similar are Makima and Yoru really? War originally appeared as that bird and is trying to blend in which is the reason it made a contract to begin with. But in contrast Makima/Nayuta only ever looked human despite being a devil, but was there an original human taken over like Asa was by War? Was Makima being human appearing just a result of not being eaten by chainsaw in hell and retaining most of her powers? So did eating her just revive her as a child because that’s a weaker form of the control devil? I’m curious about Fami’s deal too if it’s more Makima or Yoru like of a situation.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Weird BIAS posted:

How similar are Makima and Yoru really? War originally appeared as that bird and is trying to blend in which is the reason it made a contract to begin with. But in contrast Makima/Nayuta only ever looked human despite being a devil, but was there an original human taken over like Asa was by War? Was Makima being human appearing just a result of not being eaten by chainsaw in hell and retaining most of her powers? So did eating her just revive her as a child because that’s a weaker form of the control devil? I’m curious about Fami’s deal too if it’s more Makima or Yoru like of a situation.

The more a Devil likes humans, the more human they look. Princi doesn't try to cause humans any harm unless they annoy her, so she looks half human. Angel doesn't cause human suffering if he can help it, so he looks like a human with wings.

Makima looked fully human because she was 100 percent pro humans. She just didn't always go about it in the best way.

War, meanwhile, has no affection for humans by default, so her weakened form on her own is a bird. She only looks like Asa because she's a fiend, like Power.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Weird BIAS posted:

Nayuta is one of three "reincarnations" we've definitely seen so far, with the other two being Bat and Typhoon.

Typhoon shows up in Asa's flashback as an old man, instead of a baby and from what we know so far that flashback probably took place before Denji fought a reincarnated version.

Bat's reincarnation seems to be much more feral and lacking in hair which could be a way of signifying a juvenile version of him.

Nayuta being a kid seems in line with devils possibly being weaker/younger after reincarnating.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Is that actually expounded on somewhere that the more a devil likes humans the more human they look or just a pretty logical assumption? It makes sense just curious if that was something directly said. Also Yoru/Asa is a hybrid, Asa doesn't have the head markings to be a fiend. The scars really don't count either from what I can tell since nobody but Asa sees Yoru and those scars.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's stated that Devils that look more human are generally friendlier or more reasonable, it's told when Princi the Spider Devil is introduced, though it's stated that Princi is still dangerous and will kill you for looking at her the wrong way.

I also assume that Devils having humanoid form can be fairly random when they reincarnate. Princi maybe a version of the Spider Devil that was fairly humanoid, but there might be other incarnations that were not.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Weird BIAS posted:

Is that actually expounded on somewhere that the more a devil likes humans the more human they look or just a pretty logical assumption? It makes sense just curious if that was something directly said. Also Yoru/Asa is a hybrid, Asa doesn't have the head markings to be a fiend. The scars really don't count either from what I can tell since nobody but Asa sees Yoru and those scars.

Asa is a weird Fiend not a Hybrid. They would presumably look different if the War Devil had properly taken over her mind instead of purposefully leaving it intact.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Scholtz posted:

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Uh so I checked out the anime and loved it and then burned though the manga in like 4 days. Extremely cool and good.

It’s the first manga I’ve read, is there other stuff like this?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I think Jujutsu Kaisen (which also has an anime adaptation on Crunchyroll!) is the closest thematically.

https://youtu.be/VpO6APNqY1c

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Consummate Professional posted:

You can always read "Fire Punch" which was created by the same author.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Uh so I checked out the anime and loved it and then burned though the manga in like 4 days. Extremely cool and good.

Well, Fujimoto did two long one-shots that were pretty good recently that are both on the Shonen Jump site.

Goodbye Eri and Look Back are less actiony than Chainsaw Man, but they have a lot of similar qualities and they're both first rate.

Beyond that, what did you like most about Chainsaw Man? Fujimoto's got a pretty distinct artistic voice, but there are a lot of excellent manga out there, and I'm sure there's something else to your taste.

(Fire Punch is also by Fujimoto, but it's more... mixed in quality.)

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Dorohedoro was cited as a big inspiration alongside Jujutsu Kaisen

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

chrome line posted:

Dorohedoro was cited as a big inspiration alongside Jujutsu Kaisen

Those were cited as influences as a joke. Jujutsu Kaisen has the timing all wrong to be an influence rather than a coincidence.

Fujimoto's actual cited main influences were FLCL and the Nihei manga "Abara". The protagonist of Abara is even named Denji.

That said, Abara doesn't have the slice of life or gag aspects of Chainsaw Man, so it's a pretty different read.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

I'd say the twin pillars of Chainsaw Man's appeal are its hyper-violent setting full of batshit insane fights between supernatural beings with truly :stonk:-level designs and abilities, and its down-to-earth moments where we get to enjoy interactions between characters who are as phenomenally stupid as they are endearing.
Jujutsu Kaisen has plenty of both so it'd be a good fit, though I don't think it ever reaches the heights of insanity as CSM does, and its violence levels are also comparatively mild (though high by shonen standards).
Dorohedoro is much more gruesome and also features a large cast of demon-powered adorable knuckleheads, but I don't think it ever gets as heavy as CSM, tone-wise. It's much more straightforward in its friends-we-make-along-the-way nature, it's just that those friends sometimes bludgeon each other halfway to death with their own severed limbs.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

To expand your horizons just a little bit, I'd also recommend Spy x Family. The author of that was Fujimoto's assistant so there's a bit of crossover DNA there. Very different though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I cannot recommend Dandadan enough. It's another manga that I'm blown away by every single week, from how well written and expressive the characters are to how creative and fun the encounters with aliens and/or supernatural entities can be. It's a real treasure of a manga. I should note that there's some offputting stuff in chapter 1, but that's not a regular thing.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

hells paradise

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

It's not really super close to Chainsaw Man, and it's not a tight 100 chapter story...

..but, consider reading One Piece! There's a reason it's stuck around so long, and it's not just inertia; it's genuinely a (consistently) great story!!!

If you want another just high quality manga that is pretty easily digestible for someone more used to western media, Dungeon Meshi is currently at 89 chapters and looks like it'll be wrapping up relatively soon.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
There are a ton of good manga

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
And a ton more bad manga. Just be willing to drop what you are reading whenever it seems to be going bad places because they very seldom get better. Except for Dandadan that first issue is dire but man does it rebound.

E: I'll also add in suggestions of One Punch man for action and Mieruko-Chan for creepy visuals.

E. Revenant fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 12, 2022

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

chiasaur11 posted:

Those were cited as influences as a joke. Jujutsu Kaisen has the timing all wrong to be an influence rather than a coincidence.

Fujimoto's actual cited main influences were FLCL and the Nihei manga "Abara". The protagonist of Abara is even named Denji.

That said, Abara doesn't have the slice of life or gag aspects of Chainsaw Man, so it's a pretty different read.

Jujutsu Kaisen was definitely a joke, and the point of that quote is mostly just 'Mappa will probably do a good job', but I think Dorohedoro at least might have actually influenced Fujimoto some given it ran from when he was 8 or 9 to just before Chainsaw Man started. I wouldn't go to bat for it being a huge influence on his style, but I do think it's a decent recommendaation

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Devilman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

If you’ve never read other manga but liked CSM JJK is your best bet. It’s also really good. After that you can stretch your wings with more different stuff imo. Despite being similar don’t worry about JJK being a retread. They started around the same time and have a comparable set up with curses and devils as well as their main trips initial vibe. However they’re both interested in telling different but cool types of stories and need of as quite different series.