Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

guy who comes into the meeting just to snipe for no reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
being able to yell about your frustrations with coworkers with nobody to overhear you is a little-appreciated perk of working from home i think

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the guy who opens every meeting by telling everyone how sick he is today

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

guy who is given the microphone but then holds it down by his waist

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

I have deprecated "giving you five minutes of your time back" because it is indeed lovely as gently caress, instead i say "i''m done stealing your time five minutes early"

imo it doesn't even need to be mentioned at all

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
guy who gives his status updates in an overwrought style and cadence, like he's hosting a show on the air or something

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if it's just five minutes it's lame as hell to mention it

like i will tell my students "well, there's still half an hour left but we're done for today, you can just head out if you like"

but if i did that with five minutes left in the class? what a weenie move.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Sagebrush posted:

if it's just five minutes it's lame as hell to mention it

like i will tell my students "well, there's still half an hour left but we're done for today, you can just head out if you like"

but if i did that with five minutes left in the class? what a weenie move.

I use it as a way to indicate I'm wrapping up "well, we have 5 minutes left but if there's nothing else I think we can wrap up" is the same as "well, we're at time, so if there's nothing else lets wrap up"; the implication with both is unless the thing you wanna bring up is really, really important please just be quiet

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I'm the guy in the meeting uncomfortable so many of his traits are showing up in the "types of peeps at meetings" thread

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

ADINSX posted:

I'm the guy in the meeting uncomfortable so many of his traits are showing up in the "types of peeps at meetings" thread

the types of peeps were are posting in this thread are immortal human character archetypes. long before zoom meetings would ever exist, there were still these peeps

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

guy speaking with an accent so thick nobody is able to understand him except the other guy with the similarly thick accent

e: except for my boss who is some kind of accent god and is able to take notes live no matter who's speaking

go play outside Skyler fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 11, 2022

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Accent guy is the only person who actually understands the problem

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ADINSX posted:

hello coworker

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

go play outside Skyler posted:

guy speaking with an accent so thick nobody is able to understand him

I feel seen

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Sagebrush posted:

the guy who opens every meeting by telling everyone how sick he is today

Don't worry, it's not covid! It's "just" a cold.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

the 4 people in the same room using a logitech base station and talking to each other inaudibly while you sit at home

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

go play outside Skyler posted:

the 4 people in the same room using a logitech base station and talking to each other inaudibly while you sit at home

best kinda meeting, white noise generator

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
on that note peeps joining from the dogshit meeting room at work that's a hodgepodge of lovely components slapped together on the cheap

yeah ok the room system is expensive and that's stupid and i know you're super smart and we 'could do this on a spare machine we have' for much cheaper. you're gonna be spending 15 minutes every time you use the loving room to set it up then you're going to be spending the rest of the meeting not hearing anything / not being heard. just buy the dumb overpriced horseshit through gritted teeth and save everyone a lot of time

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
having "hybrid" meetings is a fool's errand anyway

even if you have the fancy polycom/cisco kit there will be side conversations and all sorts of other remarks going on
and sharing a screen from a laptop in the room is usually fraught

just do it with everyone joining the VC

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

~Coxy posted:

having "hybrid" meetings is a fool's errand anyway

even if you have the fancy polycom/cisco kit there will be side conversations and all sorts of other remarks going on
and sharing a screen from a laptop in the room is usually fraught

just do it with everyone joining the VC

yeah. just doing a zoom has its advantages, just being in a room together has its advantages, but mixing them has only downsides.

we still do them now and then, but almost invariably it is tacitly understood that the zoom attendants are second-class as far as conversation goes (and pretty much no one minds, because the interaction is not any more pleasant for the person on zoom).

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thankfully we have no office space so i do not have to deal with those any more, but they were always situations where i tuned the gently caress out unless The Room specifically addressed me by name

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

We used to play monopoly during an hour long weekly status meeting. :mrgw:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

nvrgrls posted:

guy who comes into the meeting just to snipe for no reason

well done

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

yeah hybrid setups are better suited for live-streaming events like church or theatre rather than typical meetings

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

the scrum master who doesn't cancel the morning standup even though the only person joining is the guy who's leaving the company in three days while everyone else is on break. just so they can say, 'everyone else is on break and you don't have any items assigned to you but do you have any updates?'

and when they're told no they go through each ticket anyways to ask if there's any updates on each one

thank loving god i'm leaving this place

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

ten minutes in and they're still loving talking

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

PIZZA.BAT posted:

the scrum master who doesn't cancel the morning standup even though the only person joining is the guy who's leaving the company in three days while everyone else is on break. just so they can say, 'everyone else is on break and you don't have any items assigned to you but do you have any updates?'

and when they're told no they go through each ticket anyways to ask if there's any updates on each one

why would you even show up to that?

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
guy who is guaranteed to run over his and everyone else’s allotted time at every single standup

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

why would you even show up to that?

professional courtesy

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

PIZZA.BAT posted:

lol

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
scrum master who shows up to standup 10 minutes late 95% of the time causing the room to sit in silence until someone volunteers to run the meeting

happens 4/5 times a week and i will never volunteer

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

Meeting leader responding to everyone with "ok, cool" and ends with the same tired joke every day.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

“ok I know I only have 2 minutes left to present this, but I think I can manage this. I had this down to 5 minutes when I practiced it, but I think it’ll be fine. I’ll keep it quick, I promise. Um actually do you mind if I share my screen instead? I’d like to control the slides. can you hear the video? darn, let me check the settings”

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

PIZZA.BAT posted:

lmao

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

professional courtesy

when I gave my notice my boss was like “eh just ghost us, there’s no reason to come to work any more”

a good boss

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

love to ahve someone else schedule a 1-1 meeting with me and then no show. best of all possible worlds -- i get to be indignant about their no-show, PLUS I dont have to have a meeting.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

slack you to remind you about the meeting? are you insane? then id have to have the meeting.

lets just pretend this whole thing never happened.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

post hole digger posted:

love to ahve someone else schedule a 1-1 meeting with me and then no show. best of all possible worlds -- i get to be indignant about their no-show, PLUS I dont have to have a meeting.

power move

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
when you schedule a meeting with two other people but you all have higher priority work and canceling at the last second gives everyone a nice solid hour without interruptions for once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

few things better than the "in a meeting" teams status but not actually being in a meeting