Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Maybe not. Seems like people only eat once every five days (or something) so it’s possible the mess hall was in fact empty at eatin' time, and now it has food. If that’s the case the debuff won’t go away until they eat again.

Nope. I literally had the fully stocked mess hall selected as the eating cycle ticked over and more of the sector’s population starved to death. I watched it happen for 3-4 consecutive eating cycles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Wafflecopper posted:

Nope. I literally had the fully stocked mess hall selected as the eating cycle ticked over and more of the sector’s population starved to death. I watched it happen for 3-4 consecutive eating cycles

I got hit by this bug in chapter 4 while running from the Pirenasi, I ended up losing about 4000 people within 3 turns even though all of my 4 sectors had full mess halls and food storage. Checked discord and there is a conversation about this bug so it seems pretty common. I haven't had a desire to play since and reading the spoilers about the ending I have no regrets about not continuing, but it was a pretty decent buy for the ~38 hours I got out of it.

I'm really just trying to find a game as good as ONI again and this isn't it, but I bounce off of Frostpunk as well. Been watching Against the Storm let's plays and it seems interesting (obviously nothing like ONI) so I might check that out next. Between ONI and Factorio I have about 4000 hours logged in steam, I hope something as good as ONI is made again, I picked it back up late summer this year to try and play though Spaced Out but I just don't feel like it's as enjoyable as Vanilla is. Maybe I should finally try Factorio seablock which my friend has been pestering me about for years.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Picked up steam DF a few days ago, and tried explaining to my kids that it was a game from 20 years ago that finally got a real release (:corsair:). I have to say, I really appreciate a lot of QoL stuff that the DF successor games have made; I don't care how many mittens and socks people have, I don't care what material you use. Just make clothes with the cloth I have! You figure it out, manager!

Rimworld turning clothing into a much less granular resource is a nice change while still presenting some aspects of choice.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

With the growing trend of management games having challenges to overcome instead of just being a plain ol' empty environment you build up from scratch on, you kind of need some kind of narrative or story to explain what the hell is going on with the challenge part of things. How well game devs can figure out how to make a story and not be too obtrusive is still something that people are struggling with.

And of course since my PC is old and I don't trust how it will perform on most of these new games and there's not much that makes it to console, I don't actually get the opportunity to play many of these things.

I bounced off of Tropico 5 because I didn't particularly like their new idea of just having one island for the entire campaign that you build up from the colonial days (and the earlier eras aren't really very deep either). That's another kind of narrative. I have had some thoughts about reinstalling Tropico 3 to play some of the weirder missions there again.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Volmarias posted:

Picked up steam DF a few days ago, and tried explaining to my kids that it was a game from 20 years ago that finally got a real release (:corsair:). I have to say, I really appreciate a lot of QoL stuff that the DF successor games have made; I don't care how many mittens and socks people have, I don't care what material you use. Just make clothes with the cloth I have! You figure it out, manager!

Rimworld turning clothing into a much less granular resource is a nice change while still presenting some aspects of choice.

I was trying to figure out how to word this without making it sound like I'm denigrating DF but it is going to be hard as a steam release next to stuff like Rimworld that has imo made that type of game far more readable and accessible and playable while still maintaining most of the same complexities as DF to make it a worthy successor. I don't have a built in nostalgia for DF so while it's fun to play and see where these games got their influences from I still look at something like Rimworld as the same but better. Even if they sand down the rough edges to this DF Steam release and fix a lot of the bugs I still find it so much harder to follow what's going on because of how everything is a sprite sliding around on a grid. I didn't really look much into the DF roadmap but when put on an even level with Rimworld as far as everybody who wants to being able to buy and play it and with a year or more of development time and the inevitable flood of mods that are probably coming I just personally think Rimworld still always comes out on top.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i always bounced off rimworld hard. they don't feel like they are in the same class to me at all, DF's storytelling is a whole different ball game and feels much more alive and less artificial. and DF has a strong internal logic a lot of modern colony sims just don't come close to, problem solving just feels much more dynamic and that further integrates into the story telling. the famous bug of cats dying of alcohol poisoning isn't just "ha ha funny" but underlines like how the game's logic can create incredible narratives even when its failing.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
DF is the dark souls of management sims

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Volmarias posted:

Management Megathread: you can make a gigantic feedback poop

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
honestly while i like Rimworld well enough the biggest thing stopping me playing it more is simply that it's loving ugly :v:

i went looking for alternate character graphics mods once but all i could find was just page after page of SEXY BOOBS LADY PAWNS vs. just giving them an overhaul so they look a little less "programmer art"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

honestly while i like Rimworld well enough the biggest thing stopping me playing it more is simply that it's loving ugly :v:

i went looking for alternate character graphics mods once but all i could find was just page after page of SEXY BOOBS LADY PAWNS vs. just giving them an overhaul so they look a little less "programmer art"

How about this?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2816938779

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Better than what I was turning up but not enough of a departure from the stock art style.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I found the handling of sexual orientation in RimWorld distasteful enough when I read about it 6 years ago that I never really gave the game a second thought.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Anno 1800 people. Is there a way to transfer my anno 1800 purchase from uplay to steam?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

nrook posted:

I found the handling of sexual orientation in RimWorld distasteful enough when I read about it 6 years ago that I never really gave the game a second thought.

people seem to dismiss how weird that poo poo was. i think most folks just get an idea that it was just percentage numbers that didn't reflect real life and don't know about the bizarre age stuff.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Impermanent posted:

Anno 1800 people. Is there a way to transfer my anno 1800 purchase from uplay to steam?

Nope. And you're going to go through the UPlay launcher anyway.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Impermanent posted:

Nope!

At least not when I could find when I was trying to figure it out a couple days ago. Most suggest "it doesn't matter" because the game on steam still brings up the uplay launcher but it definitely annoys me. They should let us transfer the ownership.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's not like they aren't also still selling it on uplay, I'd only expect to be able to do that if they were taking it off that storefront entirely. They're basically just selling the game on a new store now :shrug:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

people seem to dismiss how weird that poo poo was. i think most folks just get an idea that it was just percentage numbers that didn't reflect real life and don't know about the bizarre age stuff.

What actually was implemented there, anyway? That whole thing passed me by and I never managed to find a good write-up of what the game did.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Snooze Cruise posted:

Count me in that boat. I know the math was setup so every female character was bisexual to some degree vs. male characters being either 100% straight or 100% gay. The age stuff I don't remember.

e: on the upside, that whole thing got the thread title changed to "Rimworld: No Mans Bi", which is an all-timer

Blowjob Overtime fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 12, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Count me in that boat. I know the math was setup so every female character was bisexual to some degree vs. male characters being either 100% straight or 100% gay. The age stuff I don't remember.

men find partners 20 to their own age more attractive, 15 years older are always considered unattractive
women find partners their own age and older more attractive, 10 years younger always consider unattractive, there is no old age cutoff

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The way that RPS article was written as a blatant character assassination based on a hastily thrown together piece of code was pretty funny.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't know that a rich guy needs any slack including the purchase of anyone on the edge. But he basically did an accidental sexism by programming everyone to behave exactly like an OK Cupid data blog post. Accidental sexism is just as bad as sexism especially since its a very simple thought that 'hey maybe OK Cupid is a very specific set of interactions' but he crucially did the right thing and just took it all out. Set cynicism aside about 'doing it cause the bad press' and that's the basic interaction blueprint for a polite, learning society dealing with implicit bias.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i get the impression the guy would sorta be a biotruthy type when you get down to it but all in all its mostly just a weird and uncomfortable thing and i enjoy games with way weirder and more uncomfortable things (like how the metal gear series treats women). just one of those things were it is perfectly reasonable to not want to ever touch the game but no reason to give people the side eye for playing it in that regards.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Snooze Cruise posted:

men find partners 20 to their own age more attractive, 15 years older are always considered unattractive
women find partners their own age and older more attractive, 10 years younger always consider unattractive, there is no old age cutoff
Hahaha so gross. I knew about the other thing but this is news to me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What's most bizzare to me is that I can't say I ever even noticed any discernable trend in the game beyond "characters will only gently caress people close to their age and according to their sexuality"

Like the game just doesn't roll enough relationships that you would notice anything much more specific than that so it's weird to go to the effort of programming in statistical ranges. Also frankly it's the space future everyone should be bi anyway.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

OwlFancier posted:

What's most bizzare to me is that I can't say I ever even noticed any discernable trend in the game beyond "characters will only gently caress people close to their age and according to their sexuality"

Like the game just doesn't roll enough relationships that you would notice anything much more specific than that so it's weird to go to the effort of programming in statistical ranges. Also frankly it's the space future everyone should be bi anyway.

i wrote the post in the present tense which was misleading because i think the age stuff got changed at a certain point?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

zedprime posted:

I don't know that a rich guy needs any slack including the purchase of anyone on the edge. But he basically did an accidental sexism by programming everyone to behave exactly like an OK Cupid data blog post. Accidental sexism is just as bad as sexism especially since its a very simple thought that 'hey maybe OK Cupid is a very specific set of interactions' but he crucially did the right thing and just took it all out. Set cynicism aside about 'doing it cause the bad press' and that's the basic interaction blueprint for a polite, learning society dealing with implicit bias.

This should go without saying but there's a big spectrum for these types of things, too. From what I can tell, Claudia Lo's post was basically accurate, and Tynan's immediate reaction was a bit thin-skinned in some places, though Tynan had a good point that players experience and imagine the internal lives of pawns based on their actual observed actions, not on what the code (that the player can't read) says about them. But it would be an overreaction to conclude from that that RimWorld is only for terrible people and its lead designer hates bi men.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Now if y'all excuse me, I have more human skin sofas to make to decorate my recreation room.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

i wrote the post in the present tense which was misleading because i think the age stuff got changed at a certain point?

I can't say I ever noticed it, though, is the thing. I've played the game for 3000 hours since the very earliest closed alpha, it's just not a thing that needs that depth of simulation specificity because I can't imagine how anybody could ever realistically see the effect with the number of times it comes up in the game. You would have to go looking at the code specifically to know about it and including anything more complex than basic sexualities seems like something that would have to be done "just because you can" rather than out of any actual need to make the game seem believable or interesting so I have no idea the thought that went into it in the first place other than "let's shove some easily accessible statistical data in here because I can"

I also used to play with the psychology mod for a while which gives everyone a kinsey rating, and the net effect there was still just... everyone who shacks up does it with the opposite sex. Actually off the top of my head I can't remember ever having a non hetero relationship in any game I've played because in vanilla you need two people with the same sex and the same trait in the same age range to make it happen and those traits are so rare that I almost never see them, and the psychology mod still seemed to always give me m/f relationships whatever people's orientation might have been. Presumably I just never rolled two compatible gay characters.

Which is part of why I think it should have just gone with the fully bi future because I think maximising shagging opportunities would make for more interesting gameplay than the current model. Colonies are usually quite small so it's pretty uncommon I think to actually have a large enough sample size to get actual gay relationships happening so the whole system is fairly redundant.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 12, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OwlFancier posted:

I can't say I ever noticed it, though, is the thing. I've played the game for 3000 hours since the very earliest closed alpha, it's just not a thing that needs that depth of simulation specificity because I can't imagine how anybody could ever realistically see the effect with the number of times it comes up in the game. You would have to go looking at the code specifically to know about it and including anything more complex than basic sexualities seems like something that would have to be done "just because you can" rather than out of any actual need to make the game seem believable or interesting so I have no idea the thought that went into it in the first place other than "let's shove some easily accessible statistical data in here because I can"

I also used to play with the psychology mod for a while which gives everyone a kinsey rating, and the net effect there was still just... everyone who shacks up does it with the opposite sex. Actually off the top of my head I can't remember ever having a non hetero relationship in any game I've played because in vanilla you need two people with the same sex and the same trait in the same age range to make it happen and those traits are so rare that I almost never see them, and the psychology mod still seemed to always give me m/f relationships whatever people's orientation might have been. Presumably I just never rolled two compatible gay characters.

Which is part of why I think it should have just gone with the fully bi future because I think maximising shagging opportunities would make for more interesting gameplay than the current model. Colonies are usually quite small so it's pretty uncommon I think to actually have a large enough sample size to get actual gay relationships happening so the whole system is fairly redundant.
...I think you're missing the point, which is that someone sat down and deliberately programmed "All women just cannot stop licking gash and jumping on old man dick, but all straight dudes are 100% straight and are grossed out by old hags (old hags defined as anyone even one second older than the beholder)". Whether or not you saw it happen in-game is irrelevant.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No i get that, what strikes me as particularly strange is going to the effort to do that (or any sort of simulation depth) when it does not appear in the actual text of the game, like the game as played can not represent it because it doesn't generate enough relationships for it to be observable.

That someone would find that information from a dating site I can believe, because dating site information is notoriously non-representative of normal human behaviour and even normal human behaviour is not representative of some innate human nature that transcends time and place, but going to the effort to include it in a game which has no use for that depth of simulation is weird.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 12, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Huh, I just realized that Sky Haven randomly left early access on 11/21, jumping from version 0.7.5 to 1.0 without much more than a couple brief balancing and bug fixes in the patch notes. They say it's basically still going to be in development but I stopped playing it when I revisited it a couple weeks back because I hit a big bug and the game seemed nowhere near ready for launch when you started dealing with later game tech so that really doesn't bode well.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

explosivo posted:

Huh, I just realized that Sky Haven randomly left early access on 11/21, jumping from version 0.7.5 to 1.0 without much more than a couple brief balancing and bug fixes in the patch notes. They say it's basically still going to be in development but I stopped playing it when I revisited it a couple weeks back because I hit a big bug and the game seemed nowhere near ready for launch when you started dealing with later game tech so that really doesn't bode well.

I forgot about this game for a long time but I don’t have a lot of hope for it even though all I want is even more airport management. Interested if you happen to poke around it again.

Is it just buggy or is it even feature complete?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i will create the first fully lesbian colony sim. you play as a tribe of nymphs. or maybe mermaids. whichever is cooler.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

i will create the first fully lesbian colony sim. you play as a tribe of nymphs. or maybe mermaids. whichever is cooler.

Funnily rimworld now allows you to do this with the biotech expansion if you download the gay gene mod that somebody made because they wanted to make a gay vampire who bites people to turn them gay :v:

Also if you download the sex gene mod you can make it gay vampire force femme too.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I forgot about this game for a long time but I don’t have a lot of hope for it even though all I want is even more airport management. Interested if you happen to poke around it again.

Is it just buggy or is it even feature complete?

It seemed very buggy and full of poorly implemented additions like custom airport terminals that were needlessly complex to build. All in all I think there's some fun to be had there because the mechanics of scheduling flights while taking on demand flights and maintaining fuel/cargo reserves was cool and seeing bigger and better planes roll in was a good enough goal to chase, but it was super buggy a few weeks ago and still seems to be based on the comments/posts on steam saying their poo poo's still never been fixed.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

OwlFancier posted:

Also if you download the sex gene mod you can make it gay vampire force femme too.

ok i take back every bad thing i said about rimworld, its epic winsauce now

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
In Against the Storm, is level 16 the highest you can go or is it the highest you can go at Pioneer level?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Mayveena posted:

In Against the Storm, is level 16 the highest you can go or is it the highest you can go at Pioneer level?
Level 16 is max level. Level isn’t difficulty dependent but you do get more exp on higher difficulties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I guess I’m finding the writing in Ixion a bit disappointing in general. Random events are lackluster since you can sort of ignore them, and the text for planetary exploration doesn’t grab me as much as I’d like it to. I think coming into it I expected there to be more about different philosophies within the ship, even something binary like Frostpunk has, but the policies system doesn’t contain very much narrative, if that makes sense. I’m only in the third system (made it to after the storm has totally left so I’m just chilling) but maybe there’s more later. I guess I expected to keep seeing the people you get introduced to in the tutorial, or hearing from them in some way.

Certain buildings seem to be either more or less necessary than was maybe intended. Every sector needs a policy building, of course, and I find myself building the Alternative Life Center and the Legislative Strengthening Center (police station) in every sector too. But that makes me feel like they should have just made those things upgrades tied to the sector, or combined them into one building somehow, and just made each sector slightly smaller. Contrast that to the fire station, which I haven’t built any of because fire just shuts down a building for a bit and then it needs to be repaired. Even if the fire jumps around between buildings a bit, my systems are complex enough to withstand the interruption and it’s not worth knocking down some buildings I’m using 100% of the time so I can put up a building that will rarely do anything.