Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
display sleep inhibit should be part of the display protocol and every single desktop except gnome implements it there so perhaps the mpv people have a point

a user might even want to only inhibit display sleep on the display that is playing a video. seems kind of silly to send that over the generic ipc bus. cpu power management and disk power management can be controlled over generic ipc but there's no reason to lump all these things together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

display sleep inhibit should be part of the display protocol and every single desktop except gnome implements it there so perhaps the mpv people have a point

a user might even want to only inhibit display sleep on the display that is playing a video. seems kind of silly to send that over the generic ipc bus. cpu power management and disk power management can be controlled over generic ipc but there's no reason to lump all these things together.

thing is... nobody loving cares.

gnome users have plenty of video player options
mpv users have plenty of desktop options
anyone who wants to use both has trivial workarounds at their disposal

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

so what you're saying is 2022 is the year of linux on the desktop?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

so what you're saying is 2022 is the year of linux on the desktop?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

always has been :clint:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

display sleep inhibit should be part of the display protocol and every single desktop except gnome implements it there

true, there's been a pending pull request for this in mutter for years, but there are some nitpicks with it so it goes unmerged

Sapozhnik posted:

so perhaps the mpv people have a point

every other application and library supports the dbus idle inhibition protocol and people have submitted patches to mpv for it that they refused, so it's just them being obstinate at this point

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
distrobox is a neat plaything. Just wanted to tell someone that.

It's really kind of neat.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

with Fedora 37 is anyone on an AMD gpu missing VAAPI support for h.264? I know they turned that off for patent reasons but don't if it makes any discernible difference day to day

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Updated to f37 and it looks like wayland is finally usable on kde/amd??? Haven't noticed any issues when on 36 (last time i checked anyway) i would get weird micro freezes and stuttering periodically, i forget what exactly but it was annoying.

Gotta say it was nice logging in and not have everything flickering into place, triple monitor setup.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Yeah, I've been running wayland Plasma on a triple-monitor setup, including one in portrait mode. It's okay, still no global push to talk though.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

tested out the new dell docking, wd19s

it's not a thunderbolt dock, it's a ... traditional one or what you should call it with usb3.whatever and dp, and depends on good dp support at the chipset level to be able to drive monitors at proper levels

so, i tested it with a dell xps 15 9570, and it couldn't even drive one 4k 60hz monitor (it could at 30hz). the xps 15 works fine with one 4k@60hz on a wd19tb docking, but you have to use a docking + the hdmi out for 2x 4k@60hz.

with a dell xps 13 9320 on a wd19s you will get one 4k@60hz monitor working in linux, but another monitor connected will max out at QHD. but it will work with 2x 4k@60hz in windows 11.

the difference from xps 15 9570 is that from tiger lake and newer the intel chipsets supports "HBR3" mode (up to 12.7 Gbps transfer mode), and with that support you can drive one 4k@60 + QHD over pure DP; whereas before tiger lake it maxes out at "HBR2" (which _through the wd19s dock_ cannot get over 4k@30hz - but just connecting a monitor directly to DP is enough for 4k@60Hz).

but why can you get 2x4k@60Hz in windows 11 with this wd19s and not in linux? apparently because of something called "dsc" - quoting wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort posted:

Using DSC with HBR3 transmission rates, DisplayPort 1.4 can support 8K UHD (7680 × 4320) at 60 Hz or 4K UHD (3840 × 2160) at 120 Hz with 30 bit/px RGB color and HDR. 4K at 60 Hz 30 bit/px RGB/HDR can be achieved without the need for DSC.

dsc support still isn't in upstream linux, but i see they are working on it on the intel-gfx mailing list, so hopefully it will work soon™

wd19s is quite a bit cheaper than normal tb dockings, so i for one welcome this change if intel can get it working. but beware of the support, i guess... you can get wildly different results depending on what you connect to it.

Tankakern fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Nov 28, 2022

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Tankakern posted:

dsc support still isn't in upstream linux, but i see they are working on it on the intel-gfx mailing list, so hopefully it will work soon™

wikipedia posted:

DSC version 1.0 was released on 10 March 2014, but was soon deprecated by DSC version 1.1 released on 1 August 2014. The DSC standard supports up to a 3∶1 compression ratio (reducing the data stream to 8 bits per pixel) with constant or variable bit rate, RGB or Y′CBCR 4:4:4, 4:2:2, or 4:2:0 color format, and color depth of 6, 8, 10, or 12 bits per color component.

entirely unsurprised display tech on linux is almost a decade behind actual desktop operating systems

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lol

i didn't notice until i got this new docking, so i don't think dsc usage where that widespread until recently

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Nobody cared about it until recently when daisy-chaining 4K displays and 240hz monitors became a thing. Hardware makers only started adding support for it in the last couple of years

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
is DSC the thing that introduces jpeg artifacts to your desktop or the thing that introduces colour banding?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

yes

burning swine
May 26, 2004

i had color banding on my 4k monitor for like a year and just thought it was a bad monitor

turned out that was just a known bug in the dell TB16 dock for any monitor output other than thunderbolt/usbc

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

add it to the pile of tb16 issues

that dock is awful

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

fortunately the wd series are nice

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

hm cool there's a lot going on around native wayland support in wine

Wine's Wayland Driver Is Becoming Mature, May Aim For Upstreaming Early Next Year

important for gaming on linux i guess

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
would be nice

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i remember a few years ago we tried daisy-chaining displays - all dell hardware, dell docks, dell laptops, dell monitors. still ran into weird glitchy bullshit when we added a third monitor.

maybe it's gotten better since then, idk

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
just get a 49” ultrawide op

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

oh god this is all too much phoronix posting, but advent seems to be a high activity period

seems like the raid56 work will hit the tree

Btrfs With Linux 6.2 Bringing Performance Improvements, Better RAID 5/6 Reliability

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tankakern posted:

oh god this is all too much phoronix posting, but advent seems to be a high activity period

seems like the raid56 work will hit the tree

Btrfs With Linux 6.2 Bringing Performance Improvements, Better RAID 5/6 Reliability

a second parity stripe has hit the tree

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mostly it seems weird how obsessed you are with btrfs raid56 fixes, there was a poster seemingly in the know a bit back who assured me that it was mostly just fine and good already actually. let me just look up who it was...

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

:rolleyes:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
wine wayland would be neat since wine is one of the last users of x11 at this point

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

wine wayland would be neat since wine is one of the last users of x11 at this point

that and java, which has ongoing wayland work as well (wakefield is the codename for the wayland driver). jetbrains tools seem to be aiming to make native wayland support available this coming year

the next version of SDL will default to the wayland backend as well

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i still use x11 for synergy. iirc there's some portal thing thats supposed to bring similar functionality to wayland? but i didn't see anything other than a project page at the time so i ignored it

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Silver Alicorn posted:

just get a 49” ultrawide op

I've got one of those

in my pants

they're jncos so they can hold the whole monitor

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

i still use x11 for synergy. iirc there's some portal thing thats supposed to bring similar functionality to wayland? but i didn't see anything other than a project page at the time so i ignored it

xdg-desktop-portal is just a spec, each compositor has its own implementation like xdg-desktop-portal-gnome or xdg-desktop-portal-wlroots. i don't actually use anything that's synergy-like, but the required bits are all there -- i use kdeconnect to control my mouse/input over gsconnect/xdg-desktop-gnome-portal, and zoom screen shares, etc just work without any extra effort (assuming the package is installed)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

'23 will be the year of the Wayland desktop.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
microsoft is gonna hire all the devs and rename it wayland-yutani

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I was enjoying wayland but went back to X cause steam link streaming doesnt work on Wayland.

I tried sunlight a while back and it was off-putting for somereason, might have to revisit.

Irritatingly its just the steam app that doesnt work, if you launch a game it'll pick it up. Good luck picking a game with a black screen!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Mr. Crow posted:

Irritatingly its just the steam app that doesnt work, if you launch a game it'll pick it up. Good luck picking a game with a black screen!

Temporary lovely workaround: do you *have* to launch the game from the app? Can't you add your Steam games to e.g. Lutris and start them from there, or even from the desktop?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mr. Crow posted:

I was enjoying wayland but went back to X cause steam link streaming doesnt work on Wayland.

I tried sunlight a while back and it was off-putting for somereason, might have to revisit.

oddly enough, the steam interface seems to work when streaming from the steam deck, which runs on wayland

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Big end-of-year update describing various strategic initiatives in Fedora Workstation land:

https://blogs.gnome.org/uraeus/2022/12/14/update-from-the-world-of-fedora-workstation/

Desktop infrastructure has come a long way from the bad old days when everything was duct-taped together with buggy distribution-specific shell scripts, it's exciting to see a lot of this stuff land.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Strong GNU plus Linux vibes from that disclaimer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Rufus Ping posted:

Strong GNU plus Linux vibes from that disclaimer

don't worry, they are apparently rebranding workstation to domino desktop 2023 next release.

always exciting reading the latest ibm product announcement blogs.