Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Decided to try out a Fanatic Purifier run, after realizing I've never actually played one, also tacking necrophage onto it, since I didn't realize you could combine them until just now.

:dogstare: this might be the most obscene first 20 years I've ever had, and the only time I've ever been happy to start next to a federation. Why yes, I would like to eat three capitals worth of pops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Odysseus S. Grant posted:

Decided to try out a Fanatic Purifier run, after realizing I've never actually played one, also tacking necrophage onto it, since I didn't realize you could combine them until just now.

:dogstare: this might be the most obscene first 20 years I've ever had, and the only time I've ever been happy to start next to a federation. Why yes, I would like to eat three capitals worth of pops.

Necrophage + Fanatic Purifier or Devouring Swarm gets insane really fast. Necrophage is supposed to be balanced by low pop growth of your leader race, but any of the civics that autopurge xenos flip that on its head make your pop growth impossible to compete with. It gets even crazier if you take the Become The Crisis perk because it speeds up your purge by 500% without needing to do any other crisis stuff.

Nihilistic Acquisition is also good for taking pops without getting saddled with planets you don't want, since you're not going to be growing many on your own

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
One of my favorite playthroughs was a fanatic purifier necrophage, where I would shuttle all conquered pops to my starting sector. With mods to add habitats and the ability to terraform any planet after constructing a proper megastructure over it, it was wild. And since all my planets were on one sector I could build the auto resettle building in the sector and never had to bother with balancing my pops around.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I've still never tried the necrophage + purifier combo, but that looks like a lot of fun.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I have a custom necrophage purifier species I force spawn in every game. They’re a major menace unless they get unlucky early.

They generally go apeshit and start a galactic war around 2250ish. The khan sometimes spawns in the middle of their rampage. It’s good chaos.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Market was a mistake imo.

The combination of magical infinite resource generators in the form of vassal swarms and the internal market has completely shattered the game over its knee. It's literally at the point where using a technician to buy minerals is more efficient than using a mining job directly...and technicians are themselves less efficient than having a vassal do it for you

Diplovassalizing needs to be impossible for anyone who doesn't qualify for protectorate status, and the market fee should probably be at least tripled if any semblance of a working economy is ever going to exist again

Jabarto fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 13, 2022

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Double post sorry

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Jabarto posted:

Diplovassalizing needs to be impossible for anyone who doesn't qualify for protectorate status

This is a great suggestion, because yeah as it stands it's way too easy for both the player and the AI to diplo vassalize anyone small.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jabarto posted:

The combination of magical infinite resource generators in the form of vassal swarms and the internal market has completely shattered the game over its knee. It's literally at the point where using a technician to buy minerals is more efficient than using a mining job directly...and technicians are themselves less efficient than having a vassal do it for you

Diplovassalizing needs to be impossible for anyone who doesn't qualify for protectorate status, and the market fee should probably be at least tripled if any semblance of a working economy is ever going to exist again
There was a discussion on the official forums where some guy couldn't understand that "Yeah so you should start every game setting up a recurring 48 (or whatever it is) mineral purchase in the market" was less a cool tip and more a horrifying indictment of the state of the game.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
internal market should have an insane markup and break apart really quickly if you abuse it, and yeah, you should be able to only buy poo poo people sell on the galactic market. it works like that in endless space and it owns, people going for Big Money can actually manipulate it/buy it out

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'd kill someone for a mod that would allow me to change the names of AI Empires (to something more memorable) mid-session, the same way players can change their empire names.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Jack Trades posted:

I'd kill someone for a mod that would allow me to change the names of AI Empires (to something more memorable) mid-session, the same way players can change their empire names.

Pause the game, use the console to swap over to said AI empire, change the name, swap back to your own empire. No need for murder.

https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Console_commands

Open the console by mashing buttons until it opens, no idea what button it is for you. For me it's the button between P and - , aka Ø on a Norwegian keyboard.
You want, in order:
debugtooltip - Mouse over the AI empire on the galaxy map to find their empireID
play [empireID of the AI you want to change name on]
Change the name
play 0 [most likely, double check to see if your empireID is 0]
debugtooltip - To turn off the tooltips.

divx
Aug 21, 2005

Is there a way to save the galaxy seed and replay a start? I got an awesome start for my latest game but I was messing around with my species traits and accidently left them blank :negative:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dunno-Lars posted:

Pause the game, use the console to swap over to said AI empire, change the name, swap back to your own empire. No need for murder.

https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Console_commands

Open the console by mashing buttons until it opens, no idea what button it is for you. For me it's the button between P and - , aka Ø on a Norwegian keyboard.
You want, in order:
debugtooltip - Mouse over the AI empire on the galaxy map to find their empireID
play [empireID of the AI you want to change name on]
Change the name
play 0 [most likely, double check to see if your empireID is 0]
debugtooltip - To turn off the tooltips.

Is it possible to use the console in multiplayer? Or would I have to save, unhost, load singleplayer, change names, then load multiplayer again, for that?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Splicer posted:

There was a discussion on the official forums where some guy couldn't understand that "Yeah so you should start every game setting up a recurring 48 (or whatever it is) mineral purchase in the market" was less a cool tip and more a horrifying indictment of the state of the game.

Was it the same guy who always posts about clerk/merchant meta analysis? Because he does have some good points, but yeah he also has "buying 52 minerals a month" as an underlying assumption for literally everything he says and it's really grating.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jabarto posted:

Was it the same guy who always posts about clerk/merchant meta analysis? Because he does have some good points, but yeah he also has "buying 52 minerals a month" as an underlying assumption for literally everything he says and it's really grating.
Probably, it was in the context of something other than clerks but he didn't even bother mentioning that the thing he was explaining assumed the 52 minerals thing until like four posts in, and then only as an aside.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Jack Trades posted:

Is it possible to use the console in multiplayer? Or would I have to save, unhost, load singleplayer, change names, then load multiplayer again, for that?

Sadly no console in multiplayer according to google :( So you have to do the murders anyway, sorry
Loading it up in single player would work, just do not unpause or the AI will mess up your friends empire.

Honestly, you can probably have your friend join as the AI empire, change the name, drop out and rejoin until you have renamed them all. You get to pick whatever nation you want when you join.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is it just me or are starbases even worse at assigning guns than before? 9 level 1 kinetics. In a system where shields are disabled. And there are level 3 lasers available.

Considering the amount of hours I've put into this game I'm definitely among the worst Stellaris players in the world. :sigh:

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Splicer posted:

Probably, it was in the context of something other than clerks but he didn't even bother mentioning that the thing he was explaining assumed the 52 minerals thing until like four posts in, and then only as an aside.

What’s the deal with buying 52 minerals on the market? How is that game breakingly good, and why that specific number?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Best Friends posted:

What’s the deal with buying 52 minerals on the market? How is that game breakingly good, and why that specific number?

I don't use that particular borderline exploit, but basically at 52 minerals the price doesn't increase. And at the start of the game that's more than double of most empires mineral income, your most important resource at that point.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

So basically every resource has a "default" value on the market that it hovers around. The actual price is then increased or decreased by buying or selling it. Additionally, it will trend back to that default value over time. I don't know the exact monthly value, it might actually be 52, but there's a number where the increase caused by purchasing minerals is exactly cancelled out by the extremely steady and predictable trend back to normal.

Maximum Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 14, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

So basically every resource has a "default" value on the market that it hovers around. The actual price is then increased or decreased by buying or selling it. Additionally, it will trend back to that default value over time. I don't know the exact monthly value, it might actually be 52, but there's a number where the increase caused by purchasing minerals is exactly cancelled out by the extremely steady and predictable trend back to normal.
Yep. And minerals cost 1.3 energy to buy. 52 minerals is 13 miners but 67.6 energy is only 11.3 technicians and you start with a giant energy surplus you can chew through with pretty much no downside. 52 extra minerals a month at the start of the game turns into a massive snowball advantage.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
this seems to be the kind of exploit only very boring people would use

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Indeed! So it's very annoying when you're reading someone talk about fun things to do with civics and realise it relies on playing essentially a completely different, much dumber game than you.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Usually I play robots and I'm bottlenecked by energy so buying minerals doesn't make sense. :shrug:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Massive energy surplus? How? I never have that at the start.

Is this one of those 'oh obviously you HAVE to have these specific civics and racial traits at the start you noob' kind of things?

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Yami Fenrir posted:

I don't use that particular borderline exploit, but basically at 52 minerals the price doesn't increase. And at the start of the game that's more than double of most empires mineral income, your most important resource at that point.

This seems like an obvious application of the market mechanic, no? You buy some minerals on the market, the price decays, and the next month you buy it for the same price. I don't see what's exploitative about it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

scaterry posted:

This seems like an obvious application of the market mechanic, no? You buy some minerals on the market, the price decays, and the next month you buy it for the same price. I don't see what's exploitative about it.

Creating resources out of the ether.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Jack Trades posted:

This and it's a massive advantage over the AI (not that you even need said advantage). Especially early on such an advantage is huge, because you need minerals to build more mines to make more minerals, etc.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

But you aren't 'creating resources', you're paying energy for a equivalent amount of minerals, multiplied by the market fee. You can't even go into deficit to actually create resources, because then the trade cancels.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

scaterry posted:

But you aren't 'creating resources', you're paying energy for a equivalent amount of minerals, multiplied by the market fee. You can't even go into deficit to actually create resources, because then the trade cancels.

And where are those resources that I'm paying for are coming from? It's almost like they don't exist anywhere until I buy them. If only there was some kind of word to describe that concept.

Market makes it so that you never need to care about what you produce.
I just had a game where in the mid-game my food production took a dive because I didn't have any planets dedicated to it, and I was going -100 food every month.
Did I setup food production to solve that problem? No, I didn't, I just clicked two buttons and forgot about it until I eventually did my Synthetic ascension.

It's stupid.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 14, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

scaterry posted:

Technicians earn 6 energy, miners earn 4, the most efficient way to extra minerals early game is to build technicians and buy the minerals from

Uh

Hmm

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Splicer posted:

Technicians earn 6 energy, miners earn 4, the most efficient way to extra minerals early game is to build technicians and buy the minerals from

Uh

Hmm

Technicians made 4 energy when the internal market released, so that's on the Devs for changing it.

I feel like I've walked into an alternate universe. I had no idea trading was so controversial.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Not to mention whoever is buying all the crap I dump on the market to buy alloys with. Especially if I roll the psionic precursor and get an absurd amount of very early zro. :iiam:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
In theory, rather than relying solely on your giant state-owned operations you're also buying resources from your civilian population. This makes less sense for empires where the civilian population is non-existent (gestalts), but maybe you're just ordering drones to dig extra junk out of back rooms or something.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I don't mind the global market that much, but the early advantage is just so insanely huge if you know how to game it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Now that I think about it, a mod that nerfs the market, or at the very least removes it completely would've been nice, but it doesn't seem like there's anything like it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Yami Fenrir posted:

I don't mind the global market that much, but the early advantage is just so insanely huge if you know how to game it.

Then don't? This is an incredibly minor problem imho.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Torrannor posted:

Then don't? This is an incredibly minor problem imho.

I literally said I'm not using it.

Please read the rest of the conversation too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

scaterry posted:

Technicians made 4 energy when the internal market released, so that's on the Devs for changing it.

I feel like I've walked into an alternate universe. I had no idea trading was so controversial.

Surprised me too! I was aware prices trend downwards over time, but I didn't know there was an arbitrary low cap at which prices don't change anymore.

Since I always buy and sell stuff in large chunks, this kind of exploit isn't even useful for me, this is why I never noticed this.

Now, the real exploit is trading half your constantly filling rare storage for titanic amounts of alloys. :lol:

Handwaved of course by us just being shrewed negotiators. :v:

On the resources from the ether thing, that actually doesn't bother me, as everything in Stellaris is already abstracted as hell. It's like asking where the unity comes from your pops "create"

In my case, the additional resources clearly come from our empire's private sector (and later from the galactic private sector), explanation done.