Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/scully1888/status/1602949460912373760

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i bought dwarf rimworld

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

PokeJoe posted:

i bought dwarf rimworld

:sickos:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

Cringey, uncool, and out of touch, particularly applying to things millennials do.

E.g. asking people what Hogwarts house they're part of is cheugy.

millennials are the next boomers

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

echinopsis posted:

millennials are the next boomers

gen-x gets ignored again

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i admire their stealth prowess, if nothing else

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

nudgenudgetilt posted:

gen-x gets ignored again

it keeps happening lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

gen X never werent boomers

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

nudgenudgetilt posted:

gen-x gets ignored again

all according to keikaku

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

gen X never werent boomers

transitional phase, some members of gen x went to college for free and could afford to buy houses and act like boomers, others still live in their 1br city apartment because they can't afford to move

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

huh, vampire survivors DLC out tomorrow. buncha new weapons/evolves and 1 new stage (more elaborate apparently?), $2

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

How do I play rim fortress anyway? Anything I need to know before starting to keep my cats from drinking my beers

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

PokeJoe posted:

How do I play rim fortress anyway? Anything I need to know before starting to keep my cats from drinking my beers

I thought this was a p deece beginners guide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEt87BikHzA

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Perfect thanks dur

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i can’t believe no one else is playing supreme commander forged alliance

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Ciaphas posted:

huh, vampire survivors DLC out tomorrow. buncha new weapons/evolves and 1 new stage (more elaborate apparently?), $2

:eyepop:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i was FOUR seconds away from beating the dairy level with the nun when i got my rear end handed to me by a swarm of giant robots. :negative:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

President Beep posted:

i was FOUR seconds away from beating the dairy level with the nun when i got my rear end handed to me by a swarm of giant robots. :negative:

this happens too often across too many games!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

:sad:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Roosevelt posted:

did they fix Below Zero? what a disappointment that was

What was there to fix? It was meant to be a smaller more story focused expansion, I enjoyed it :shrug:

i guess if you were expecting a sequel it could have been a bummer

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I watched a bunch of videos and started like 5 different dwarf fortresses and i dunno, something about it just doesn’t draw me in. it maybe feels a little *too* much like spreadsheet management?? granted i didn’t get very far in any of my attempts but im not really dying to get back into it. the developer(s) got my money and probably deserves it so whatever

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my dwarfs got the miasma and had a bad time

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

polyester concept posted:

I watched a bunch of videos and started like 5 different dwarf fortresses and i dunno, something about it just doesn’t draw me in. it maybe feels a little *too* much like spreadsheet management?? granted i didn’t get very far in any of my attempts but im not really dying to get back into it. the developer(s) got my money and probably deserves it so whatever

its a bit more obtuse than rimjobworld but im trying to give it a chance. i like the multi level aspect

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

PokeJoe posted:

my dwarfs got the miasma and had a bad time

this problem I could deal with

three angry birds however reduced my budding fortress from having 13 dwarves to 6

it seems good but I cbf figuring out precisely how it wants me to do everything - like the process of going from having the resources to do things to doing them is just too fiddly for me most of the time - rimworld is much more intuitive imo but maybe it's just because I should have started the dorf game when I was younger

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I cannot blame anyone who did not play dwarfs before a useable gui came about

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I tried playing it maybe a year ago with one of the more graphical tilesets and didn’t get very far

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the steam version is way more than just a tile set, it's a complete ux overhaul

well worth it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It still needs some improvements but it's playable enough

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the big problem with old df is that the actually fundamental "how do i build a fort where i don't die" is never actually explained to you, you need to either figure it out through trial-and-error or read a bunch of wiki guides. but that's fine, because just by looking at it you can already tell that it's that sort of game. new df is a lot prettier and has a swankier ui but from what i've seen hasn't really addressed that problem? like it walks you through the motions of how to work the ui (and the ui in general is just way more discoverable and easy to use for people not playing the game over a serial terminal), but doesn't really go into the "how do i not die in the first year after embark" stuff, you're still on your own for that part.

stuff like rimworld has had a lot more attention paid to the beginner experience i think, making it a lot easier to get into.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
also the df ui still looks a lot like "ascii tileset, just prettier" - you always pan around a discrete number of tiles at a time, there's no faux-3d when you're looking at an aerial layer with the ground some distance below, no semitransparent indication of what's on the layer above what you're looking at. stuff like that would make it way easier to visualize your fortress, and not having them seems like legacy restrictions based on the technology used in the original version.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

nudgenudgetilt posted:

gen-x gets ignored again

gen-x are boomers now

millennials will be boomeres in about ten, fifteen years

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Jabor posted:

there's no faux-3d when you're looking at an aerial layer with the ground some distance below,

your other complaints are valid but this one is strictly untrue fwiw

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

i can’t believe no one else is playing supreme commander forged alliance

what’s your favorite faction echi? I don’t have any time to play games rn but just seeing the words supreme commander makes me want to reinstall lol

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
Vampire Survivors makes time disappear like no other ios game I’ve played and also isn’t trying to microtransaction me into poverty.

Game good, but I cannot recommend if you have children or family or pets or anything that relies on you being not on your phone killing skeletons.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bump_fn posted:

gen-x are boomers now

millennials will be boomeres in about ten, fifteen years

gen-x was always boomer capitulators so this is just the obvious conclusion

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
playing rimworld with ideology and biotech for the first time, its neat, did a tribal start and the first pregnancy went well!

i started in tropical swamp for the first time too, i do not regret trying this but i think it might be time to pack up and move the colony to another biome, it is too hard to find contiguous terrain to build on (even compared to tropical rainforest) and i do not have room for new production buildings or bedrooms or a kid playroom/school, i need more space now and it will take an enormous amount of game time to dry out the land with moisture pumps

might also install a mod that speeds up moisture pumps or provides a faster advanced version

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

you should be able to build bridges and then wood walls on top of them, i believe

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
oh yeah, placing a bridge is automatic in this game, either from some mod or in vanilla (idk, never built on bridges before)

i want stone or (later in the game) plasteel walls though. nice, strong, non-flammable stone or plasteel walls

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

haha.. yeah, tropical + wood is usually a bad thing.. but there you have it!

i completely agree with you about moisture pumps, they take way too long to bear fruit and cost a lot of power early game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jenny Agutter posted:

what’s your favorite faction echi? I don’t have any time to play games rn but just seeing the words supreme commander makes me want to reinstall lol

hmm whatever is default on skirmish (I probably could have told you back in the day but didn’t pay attn when I played t the other night)

you mentioning it the other day is what put it back in my mind

it’s such a pure RTS, it’s so well balanced

there’s a lot I like about planetary annihilation and it’s a spiritual successor in a way, but this was the first
time I had played supcomFA since playing PA and I now feel like the PA devs missed the boat unfortunately, it gets some of the way there, but after playing supcomFA again makes me realise it’s still the best (although I admit the UI/UX in PA is better, and PA has a true no-limit on unit numbers)