Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

yanderekko 11 minutes ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: ElonJet Is Now Suspended

Serious question: Is there an alternative narrative here? People are acting like Musk changed course for no reason, but are there no real claims that the account perhaps had started to engage in other rule-breaking content?

incredible. "i don't like this. is there perhaps a version that fits with my personal views and expectations?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

they edited their post and now it's even funnier:

yanderekko 2 hours ago | parent | context | favorite | on: ElonJet Is Now Suspended

Serious question: Is there an alternative narrative here? People are acting like Musk changed course for no reason, but are there no real claims that the account perhaps had started to engage in other rule-breaking content?

Note that I'm asking for an actual steelmanned argument for why there's no possible defense of Musk here, not why people have high priors to just assume there's no defense.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
we get it, you took a statistics class

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

throwaway894345 2 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

> large corporations and billionaires usually found success by acting in their own interest so they will just keep on doing that
I mean, if you have to irrationally hate someone, I guess billionaires are going to be the ones with the resources to handle it, but I'd really rather we as a society move away from this sort of cathartic scapegoating altogether. The more we normalize taking our anger out on some group or another, backed up by flimsy excuses like "x usually found success by acting in their own interest" the more likely it becomes that "x" will be "The Jews" or some other group.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

dougdrums posted:

we get it, you took a statistics class

if the only thing they ever mention is bayes rule, probably they just read Harry Potter And The Methods Of Rationality

“steelmanning”, also a clue

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There are very few hn posters who have ever taken a statistics class.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

SolTerrasa posted:

if the only thing they ever mention is bayes rule, probably they just read Harry Potter And The Methods Of Rationality

“steelmanning”, also a clue

i'd never heard the phrase "steelmanned" in my entire life until i read that HN post. i refuse to believe that it exists as a thing outside of high-school debate clubs

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i'd never heard the phrase "steelmanned" in my entire life until i read that HN post. i refuse to believe that it exists as a thing outside of high-school debate clubs

unfortunately, the high school debate club metastasized

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Pile Of Garbage posted:

It doesn't exist, it's just a weird "rationalism" term for the Principle of charity.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

SolTerrasa posted:

lol. lmao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FPsEwWT6K0

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
90% of rationalism is making up new names for existing ideas because they insist on inventing things from "first principals" instead of reading a book or something. a high school debate club would be a step up.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

puffoflogic 32 minutes ago | parent | prev | next [–]

I have a theory about Twitter's often odd actions since Musk took over, although I fear HN won't like it because it may tend to paint Musk in a reasonable light:
I think that we are seeing the symptoms of a team (Twitter) who is not yet used to Musk's management style, whereby he says something like, "we should do X", and he means, "we should investigate and take reasonable actions which have the same effect as (the too-bold action) X". The team interprets the first statement too literally and actually does X, which isn't really what Musk intended. I developed this theory in the roll-out of Twitter Blue, because it matches what happened very closely: Musk publicly said "hey we're going to start charging for verification and it's no longer a mark of validated identity". The team jumped and made something overnight, but this was rolled back because it's not what Musk meant for them to do. Rather, what he meant for them to do was sit down, plan what to do, and then execute it - quickly, but not immediately. And that's what happened in the end, i.e. in the past few days.
This effect is exacerbated by the remaining employees at Twitter including those who are most eager to suck up to the new boss, frankly, leading to them jumping and doing what he said (over-literally).
Anyways, the same theory would explain the elonjet thing. Elon says, "hey posting people's real-time location is generally seen as a bad thing, like that elonjet guy, we should look into a policy against that." Overeager underling takes this as a commandment to ban elonjet. More reasonable people who are beginning to catch on to the management style go and actually develop the policy; once it's developed, it makes sense to just Ctrl-Z the actions of the overeager group.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

if twitter has a weakness, it is only that the team loves and respects elon musk too much. IF it has a weakness.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

elon said to fire 50% of the employees there and those employees just took their pink slips too literally

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
yes, elon is a very bad manager and to the extent that orgs are effective under him it’s because they tactically ignore and “interpret” his terrible ideas for the important products while keeping him distracted with vanity projects that can be written off. all the real work and leadership happens at a level beneath him and in spite of his best efforts to continually derail it

that is what that poster meant, right

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

fritz posted:

puffoflogic 32 minutes ago | parent | prev | next [–]

I have a theory about Twitter's often odd actions since Musk took over, although I fear HN won't like it because it may tend to paint Musk in a reasonable light:
I think that we are seeing the symptoms of a team (Twitter) who is not yet used to Musk's management style, whereby he says something like, "we should do X", and he means, "we should investigate and take reasonable actions which have the same effect as (the too-bold action) X". The team interprets the first statement too literally and actually does X, which isn't really what Musk intended. I developed this theory in the roll-out of Twitter Blue, because it matches what happened very closely: Musk publicly said "hey we're going to start charging for verification and it's no longer a mark of validated identity". The team jumped and made something overnight, but this was rolled back because it's not what Musk meant for them to do. Rather, what he meant for them to do was sit down, plan what to do, and then execute it - quickly, but not immediately. And that's what happened in the end, i.e. in the past few days.
This effect is exacerbated by the remaining employees at Twitter including those who are most eager to suck up to the new boss, frankly, leading to them jumping and doing what he said (over-literally).
Anyways, the same theory would explain the elonjet thing. Elon says, "hey posting people's real-time location is generally seen as a bad thing, like that elonjet guy, we should look into a policy against that." Overeager underling takes this as a commandment to ban elonjet. More reasonable people who are beginning to catch on to the management style go and actually develop the policy; once it's developed, it makes sense to just Ctrl-Z the actions of the overeager group.

:negative:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

SolTerrasa posted:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

if you imagine that musky acted completely differently, he's actually a lot more reasonable

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Ask HN: How might HN build a social network together?
28 points by shanebellone 45 minutes ago | flag | hide | past | favorite | 43 comments

I have a concept for a social network that would eliminate many pain points. I'm sure others do too.

How could we build a communal product for the public? Theoretically, this approach would result in a better product. Practically, it seems nearly impossible.

What are your thoughts?

Edit:

Let me give an example that I have been thinking about since 2009.

It requires a fundamental change from the reach model towards concentric social circles. The social network would allow users to arrange into small topical groups called social circles. These social circles would have a cap of 10 (arbitrary number) members. Each user could take part in many social circles. This inherently limits reach and therefore reduces the burden of misinformation, abuse, and moderation.

This model closely mirrors real social interactions and allows for both private and intimate communication. It also offers a profitable advertising opportunity. A social circle reflects its members’ interests and context.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

distortion park posted:

if you imagine that musky acted completely differently, he's actually a lot more reasonable

honestly im surprised that sentiment towards the boer is shifting on HN. at least that's what it looks like from the comments posted where people are pre-emptively defending their defence of muskman

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Mr.Radar posted:

Ask HN: How might HN build a social network together?
28 points by shanebellone 45 minutes ago | flag | hide | past | favorite | 43 comments

I have a concept for a social network that would eliminate many pain points. I'm sure others do too.

How could we build a communal product for the public? Theoretically, this approach would result in a better product. Practically, it seems nearly impossible.

What are your thoughts?

Edit:

Let me give an example that I have been thinking about since 2009.

It requires a fundamental change from the reach model towards concentric social circles. The social network would allow users to arrange into small topical groups called social circles. These social circles would have a cap of 10 (arbitrary number) members. Each user could take part in many social circles. This inherently limits reach and therefore reduces the burden of misinformation, abuse, and moderation.

This model closely mirrors real social interactions and allows for both private and intimate communication. It also offers a profitable advertising opportunity. A social circle reflects its members’ interests and context.

what everyone truly wants, google plus but with worse code

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
sandGorgon 1 hour ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Ancient grammatical puzzle solved after 2,500 year...

An Indian PhD student at Cambridge University, who was studying Sanskrit under his Italian (Naples born) professor of Sanskrit...has cracked a 2500yr linguistic Sanskrit algorithm to generate sentences.

I would call this the GPT-3 moment for Sanskrit. ;)

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
p-e-w 1 hour ago | parent | context | favorite | on: Atom was archived today

VSCode is one of the greatest pieces of engineering of our time. It's really only when you compare it with Atom that you realize how great it is. Atom was built by incredibly smart people, who had full control over the platform and several years of head start, and they were still out-engineered by the VSCode team at every turn.

VSCode did almost everything right: The choice of TypeScript as the base language (with which VSCode has a symbiotic relationship), the limited, slowly expanding extension API, LSP, the monorepo, the monthly release cadence, the built-in terminal, and the list goes on and on. They turned Electron's strengths into super-strengths, and deftly engineered around Electron's weaknesses. VSCode is the greatest productivity tool in the history of software engineering, and it fully deserves the dominant status it has today.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Xik posted:

p-e-w 1 hour ago | parent | context | favorite | on: Atom was archived today

my god

jgilias 1 hour ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

> VSCode is one of the greatest pieces of engineering of our time.

I don’t know… things like vertically landing rockets, the Large Hadron Collider, inflating space stations, CRISPR, mRNA vaccines come to mind among many other things that surely surpass VS Code when it comes to engineering marvels.

p-e-w 1 hour ago | root | parent | next [–]

I hold VSCode to be at least equal to those achievements. Having used dozens of text editors and IDEs in the course of my programming career, I can appreciate how non-obvious it is for a piece of software this complex to work so loving well all the time.

And considering how many people are empowered by the productivity gains VSCode brings, I'd say that the real-world impact of VSCode is also much greater than that of most of the projects you listed. VSCode has probably saved hundreds of millions of hours for programmers over the past few years. It's almost impossible to come up with an appropriate comparison for how important it is.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Imagine being a weird obsessive stan who isn't able to distinguish between "x is decent and I like it" and "x is the best thing in the history of mankind" but then deciding to apply that to vscode of all things

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I’ll be somewhat charitable to this guy because it’s a very common SV-ism to confuse “engineering” with “product”, and vsc is a real product success story.

also, lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Pile Of Garbage posted:

me either. I assume it's the opposite of strawman.

in like the most literal way of creating the opposite.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah, it’s about creating the strongest possible counter-argument to your position in order to more effectively evaluate it. used in good faith it’s a reasonable approach, but it’s…not always used in good faith

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
it’s always used to give reactionary dipshits the benefit of the doubt, these guys aren’t steelmanning Marx

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

old and busted: vim is better than emacs

new hotness: vscode is better than clean drinking water

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
i tried vscode once

it took multiple seconds to load up, which i find unacceptable for a text editor, so i uninstalled it

that's the story of my interaction with one of the greatest engineering marvels in human history

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
as a person who once made half aw ebsite

I like vs chode

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I hated it when I first tried it. the setting aren’t navigable, I’d get plug-in errors/notifications all the time. fuuuuuuuck

but now it’s the default way to code for so many platforms, good luck getting support for anything else!

finally after getting somewhat used to it, it’s ok. platformIO for microcontrollers is a high point for it imho

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I simply use fast computers so vscode is plenty fast for me (though vscode more generally puts the lie to "Electron has to be slow", I recently upgraded from a pretty pokey laptop and it was fine there and is fine here). And tbh until the guy went fully maximal, this-is-civilization-defining, I was sort of on the train. vscode takes the genuinely good parts of the legacy VS suite (debugging chief among them) and wires it up to a more-than-good-enough text editor that's easy to extend when needed--I have my own extension that tweaks its behaviors in a few ways that I prefer. I wrote a Sublime Text extension back in the day, it sucked. I maintained vimrc, that extra sucked. By comparison vscode is a pretty good local maximum of "fast enough, gets out of the way, and has the bells and whistles when I need it for every language I need it for*" and that is a pretty big step forward.

I don't think I'd go back to anything else except for really specific stuff, and vscode is eating that too. ++ for PlatformIO -- I'm new to that but it loving rules.

* - except JVM stuff. IDEA is still installed on my machines for that reason.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pressing “.” on GitHub to get dropped into a web-hosted vscode instance still feels like the future

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

it feels annoying as gently caress because my browser locking up for 30 seconds to load a lovely editor is never what i want

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

so to the extent that the future of the web is a popup div stamping on the content area forever, i suppose it does feel like the future

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
the new code search in GitHub is ridiculously good

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i figured i'd switch to vscode from sublime since it's pretty much the same

i ended up switching back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

timonoko 28 minutes ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Linux, Amazon, Meta, and Microsoft Want to Break t...

Somekind of multilayer approach would be preferable. Lowest layer could be Totally Open. Anybody could insert any URL at any coordinates at any time. Woke Whiners could be handled easily: tiniest whine and you will never see that map-layer ever again.