Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One last bit of weird movie news for the end of the year, this previous weekend Sony rereleased the Mark Wahlberg film Father Stu with it being edited to be PG-13 and a new title, Father Stu: Reborn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
call it Father Stu 2, that way people think it has pedigree

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Alan Smithee posted:

call it Father Stu 2, that way people think it has pedigree

Father Stwo

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I had no idea Father Stu even came out. I remember the original trailer because it was clear they were trying to rehabilitate Mel Gibson’s career yet again despite no growth as a person in the last 30-40 years.

I did get confused with the first couple The Purge movies because I thought they were the same movie and it had just taken more than a year for it to come out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mel Gibson was in Father Stu because it was written and directed by his current girlfriend.

Also not sure how well Babylon is going to do as I just realized today that none of the trailers or ads for it have said anything about the movie other than it stars Brad Pitt and Margot Robbie.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/zwerp10k/status/1602127490469830656

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Evil grinch is a cool concept that really lame people ran with. They did however get the best person to play said grinch.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I thought Babylon was an adaption of Kenneth Anger’s Hollywood Babylon up until I saw a trailer for it a couple of days ago.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

CelticPredator posted:

Evil grinch is a cool concept that really lame people ran with. They did however get the best person to play said grinch.

Why even bother when the best version of that concept already exists?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sam Raimi's first student film was literally this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVdn6Kf3-8E

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Someone should make a movie where cruel parents pull a grinch visit on their kids (eg) https://youtu.be/7HMPhqaoZoE and the kids get revenge.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Sam Raimi's first student film was literally this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVdn6Kf3-8E

Hamburger Helper 2023

directed by Federico Álvarez

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

in 2023 Steppenwolf goes public domain so there's that.

Wolfman: "WHY DON'T YOU COME WITH ME LITTLE GIRL, ON A MAGIC CARPET RIDE"

Also something by Virginia Woolf so we'll probably get Steppenwolf vs Virginia Werewoolf

and Steamboat Willie in 2024 so live action low effort Screamboat Willie here we come!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

Also something by Virginia Woolf so we'll probably get Steppenwolf vs Virginia Werewoolf

and Steamboat Willie in 2024 so live action low effort Screamboat Willie here we come!

I keep hearing Fritz Lang's Metropolis becomes public domain next year as well.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Alan Smithee posted:

Surprised congress isn't skipping winter break in order to write another 20 years copyright extension into the books... guess the dumptruck of money Disney sent to DC must of got lost in the supply chain troubles.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Feldegast42 posted:

Surprised congress isn't skipping winter break in order to write another 20 years copyright extension into the books... guess the dumptruck of money Disney sent to DC must of got lost in the supply chain troubles.

great now im imagining we have Desantis to thank as he holds the bill with that alcoholic HOA president staring at your unmowed lawn face

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Young Freud posted:

I keep hearing Fritz Lang's Metropolis becomes public domain next year as well.

Metropolis, but the robot lady kills people

we can film it in the futuristic city of Sofia, Bulgaria and Detroit, Michigan

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
We already got the Moroder Metropolis though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leAVS0OC6Ts

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Feldegast42 posted:

IIRC someone ITT pointed out a while back that Disney realized they could hold onto their mouse in perpetuity through other means, so it isn't as much of an imperative for them anymore.

Still, it kinda feels like this is the worst environment for copyright fuckery that we've had in a while. Even ignoring whatever is going on with the government, these days stuff like the internet makes it a lot easier for people to notice when Disney tries to pull poo poo like that.

All in all, it could be they decided whatever they stand to gain from getting copyright law extended again just isn't worth it anymore.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Disney’s homegrown IP is mostly valuable as trademarks (nobody else will ever be able to put Mickey Mouse on a T shirt no matter what happens to his cartoons) and their new stuff won’t be in danger of going PD for a while. Clock hasn’t even started on some of it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

so you can't like sell Steamboat Willie mickey on a shirt

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

so you can't like sell Steamboat Willie mickey on a shirt

Merchandise is all about trademarks which can be held in perpetuity if you’re diligent enough. Like in theory I could write a story based on or referencing Steamboat Willie but if I made it a book the cover and trade dress could not use Mickey’s face or do anything which would suggest Disney had a hand in it. (Outside of parody and that’s harder than it seems.)

Winnie the Pooh is a good example, the character’s public domain but Disney’s specific visual interpretations aren’t. So you have to either use the classic designs or something completely different from either (and there’s only so many ways to draw Piglet.)

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, the red shirt and Tigger are still Disney IP. For Mickey, the character of the mouse as he appeared in that cartoon can enter public domain, and there's probably an argument to be made that some uses of him on merchandise would be passable, but if you try it Disney will sue the receiving poo poo out of you either way, and they have more money than you to waste on a lawsuit. Like, the happy birthday song is arguably in the public domain but Warner will still sue you if you use it and even though they'll probably lose eventually it's a lot cheaper and easier to just pay their extremely modest licensing fee than take it to court

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Baron von Eevl posted:

Like, the happy birthday song is arguably in the public domain but Warner will still sue you if you use it and even though they'll probably lose eventually it's a lot cheaper and easier to just pay their extremely modest licensing fee than take it to court

Not anymore, someone kept spending money and filing paperwork and Warner settled in 2016, declaring it was in the public domain after all.
So all it takes is decades of your life and millions of dollars!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Wait why are restaurants still doing that off brand white folk clapping version

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Disney at this point doesn't need to worry about their stuff going public domain, anything new that gets popular they can just buy out.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Disney at this point doesn't need to worry about their stuff going public domain, anything new that gets popular they can just buy out.

Our children will only know the "three circles" Disney logo as representing Captain America's shield, the Death Star, and uh... Pandora.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Alan Smithee posted:

Wait why are restaurants still doing that off brand white folk clapping version

Same reason they have wacky names for common dishes. Anything to stand out from all the other Sysco kitchens in the area.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/65movie/status/1603027276932653056?s=46&t=R6TOopmPoX4KRTs7PGklHg

https://twitter.com/65movie/status/1603027037819752450?s=46&t=R6TOopmPoX4KRTs7PGklHg

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

what the gently caress is he doing in that

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Because he has range, dammit

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

well why not posted:

what the gently caress is he doing in that

Shooting dinos with a gun, didn’t you watch the trailer?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
drat, thought they were adapting the comic Flesh (cowboys time-travel back to harvest dinosaurs for meat right before the extinction event, and pay the price for loving with nature), but no, it's Pitch Black with raptors.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

Shooting dinos with a gun, didn’t you watch the trailer?

I actually didn't when I posted. I have now. I really think there should be more dinosaur movies that aren't Jurassic Park. This looks like a solid b-movie sunday afternoon waste of time. OK!

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

It literally sounds like a SciFi Channel script from 20 years ago and I'm ok with that

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

One of the shots looks like some kind of mech, walking robot thing. That is 100% an Asylum script.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’ll accept it if it’s actually a Star Wars sequel about Kylo Ren visiting the Milky Way.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Simplex posted:

One of the shots looks like some kind of mech, walking robot thing. That is 100% an Asylum script.

Make it a mecha-spider and then you're cooking with gas!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Couldn’t be any worse than the Jurassic World series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
He spoken about how he has serious issues with watching his performances, maybe his solution is to make movies he would never want to watch.