Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

The Lone Badger posted:

The mormons are no-poo poo actually some of the best-prepared people out there. Very strong community links plus a good amount of physical preparation (of actually useful stuff, not just hoards of guns). I disagree with the church on a LOT of matters, but members of it are far more likely to survive doomsday than I am.

I see what you're saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

The Lone Badger posted:

The mormons are no-poo poo actually some of the best-prepared people out there. Very strong community links plus a good amount of physical preparation (of actually useful stuff, not just hoards of guns). I disagree with the church on a LOT of matters, but members of it are far more likely to survive doomsday than I am.

And based on the Mormons I know, they all have like 5-15 kids to help out on the apocofarm during the subsistence period.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Soyrizo is actually delicious and better than regular chorizo IMO. Not sure about that brand specifically though it looks somewhat sickly.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Mauser posted:

There would certainly be those loving weirdos with guns at the start, but they won't last long (ideally)
Those morons don’t think about fire or sleep. If they piss of one organized group they just turn into loot crates.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Soyrizo is actually delicious and better than regular chorizo IMO.

wtf

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Kuros posted:

Don't worry, I got the joke.

Woosh for the both of you.

I don’t get the reference. Was it a race thing? Probably was a race thing.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Cops are scared of black people

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i think the fact that the cop was himself black made that interpretation less immediately obvious even allowing for racism inherent in the system

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Soyrizo is actually delicious and better than regular chorizo IMO. Not sure about that brand specifically though it looks somewhat sickly.

No salivary glands means it doesn’t taste.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
edit definitely the wrong thread!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Robobot posted:

Yes, as well he should be. There's a difference between a black bear you spook going through your garbage can and a black bear you encounter on it's own game trail hundreds of miles from civilization.

This is true but you've kind of got it backwards. The black bear digging through your garbage may have been around people (stupid enough to feed it and approach it) long enough that it's lost its fear of us. This is how a lot of people end up attacked in cottage country, and if you call the MNR here in Ontario about one, they will straight-up tell you to shoot it so they can come pick up the body.

Conversely a black bear that has never seen people before is basically a large raccoon. Dangerous if you wind up between it and its cubs, but not much otherwise, certainly not even close to a grizzly or polar bear.

The Lone Badger posted:

The mormons are no-poo poo actually some of the best-prepared people out there. Very strong community links plus a good amount of physical preparation (of actually useful stuff, not just hoards of guns).

Yeah and they're building that huge colony spaceship to gently caress off to some other system.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Schad is on me because quote is not edit.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Mister Speaker posted:

This is true but you've kind of got it backwards. The black bear digging through your garbage may have been around people (stupid enough to feed it and approach it) long enough that it's lost its fear of us. This is how a lot of people end up attacked in cottage country, and if you call the MNR here in Ontario about one, they will straight-up tell you to shoot it so they can come pick up the body.

Conversely a black bear that has never seen people before is basically a large raccoon. Dangerous if you wind up between it and its cubs, but not much otherwise, certainly not even close to a grizzly or polar bear.

Yeah and they're building that huge colony spaceship to gently caress off to some other system.

Huh, I thought black bears were the opposite and the males in the wild that aren’t aware of people were the ones that you should avoid and the ones familiar with people were the ones you could “hey bear!” away from stuff.

Never lived where there were bears though.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

just shout perkele at the bear, op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7_pVrIshxA

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Robobot posted:

Huh, I thought black bears were the opposite and the males in the wild that aren’t aware of people were the ones that you should avoid and the ones familiar with people were the ones you could “hey bear!” away from stuff.

Never lived where there were bears though.

The same tactics are encouraged even if you think a bear might be a nuisance bear; I mean you don't want it to become more of a nuisance bear by being casual about it ripping open your garbage. With black bears, generally the best thing to do is make a lot of noise and make yourself look really big - if you're with other people, stand close together and wave your arms. They have really poor eyesight and will probably think you're one big creature. Even with nuisance bears, being persistent at this will usually get them to gently caress off. If it sees right through that and waddles up to you anyway, you might have a problem on your hands.

I can't find it right now but there's that classic video of the Canadian oil workers on some derrick in the woods, and this black bear just won't leave them alone so they have to spray it. It's clearly going for this bag of trash they just have hanging from their deck; if I had to guess I'd say roughnecks probably aren't very smart about locking their food and waste up from bears.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pLsM2ijRao

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

The Lone Badger posted:

They also tend to be very conservative as well as gun owners. There's PLENTY of the dangerous types of preppers described in this thread in Utah (some of which featured the shows that have been mentioned.) Southern Utah especially is packed with lots of far-right religious/political fundamentalist wackos.

That being said, I think the church's practice of being prepared with food and water and provisions for general emergencies is good common sense, like you mentioned.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Finally an excuse to post the funniest bear video around
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3qhEIZBlX8

One of the rare videos where I'll be laughing hard every time I watch it.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

this is the best bear video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INov9gQ2aUA

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Robobot posted:

Nah it’s the ones habituated to humans that “hey bear” doesn’t work on. They’ve been around people and learned that we have a lot of tasty things to eat and that while we might make noise, we won’t hurt them.

In the wild, the dangerous black bears are the young males who sometimes see humans as prey, plus mothers protecting their cubs.

That cop from Alone was plopped right into the territory of a mother with cubs. The first few seasons of Alone were terrible about placing participants. One of them had no source of fresh water and becomes delirious from drinking brackish water.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

The Lone Badger posted:

quote:

The First Presidency recommends that Church members “begin their home storage by storing the basic foods that would be required to keep them alive if they did not have anything else to eat.” After they have a year’s supply of the basics, they may then add other foods they are accustomed to eating regularly. (See First Presidency letter, Jan. 20, 2002.)

Hell yeah they are

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Why are they so invested in prepping if they think the rapture is gonna take them away when the world ends?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Man they really should have left in the part where Herzog tells her to destroy the tape.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Son of Rodney posted:

Finally an excuse to post the funniest bear video around
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3qhEIZBlX8

One of the rare videos where I'll be laughing hard every time I watch it.

I don’t see what’s funny about this, Goldilocks is clearly traumatized.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Schads on the US School System cause I can't read!

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 16, 2022

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

A Moose posted:

Why are they so invested in prepping if they think the rapture is gonna take them away when the world ends?

Basically Mormons believe that even saints such as themselves will have to go through the tribulations before they actually go to heaven. Other faiths think the troubles will only apply to everyone else and they get to go to heaven in advance.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

A Moose posted:

Their concerns are more based on all the violence directed at them back in the day as they got chased farther and farther west

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Either way, still way better than that scripted roadside trash that's Naked and Afraid. Pretty sure they've been called out for setting up production like, less than a mile from a heavily traveled road.

Sounds like somebody hasn't drunk their piss today :nyd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is

e:
Oh we doin' regular bear videos too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x6sM2ovFvs

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 15, 2022

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Scratch Monkey posted:

Their concerns are more based on all the violence directed at them back in the day as they got chased farther and farther west

Yeah I remember reading once that there was a time in US history where not only was it not a crime to kill a mormon, you could be paid for it.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Mr. Crow posted:

So traumatized she shared the video with news and social media so you could tell us how lovely we are for laughing at it :rolleyes:

You just made up a whole different post in your mind to get mad about instead of enjoying the joke

A farting mink
Nov 6, 2022

by Pragmatica

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Moose posted:

That's Southern Baptists and Evangelicals mostly, not Mormons.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Sound is a meme sound (not "oh no no") mixed with actual audio

https://i.imgur.com/bsBuIRC.mp4

You can skip 0:05 - 0:25 if you're min/maxing your laughs per second

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Tagra posted:

My favourite (besides the all-time great Desmond, of course) was the guy who quit on day 2 because he heard a wolf howl and started crying because he was scared of dogs and didn't have his guns.

Sirotan posted:

Dude is a cop, bragged to all his friends and family that is he sees a bear in the woods that "somebody better help the bear". He steps foot on this island, sees some bear poop, gets scared, and immediately gives up.

I need to watch this show.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

BrianBoitano posted:

Sound is a meme sound (not "oh no no") mixed with actual audio

https://i.imgur.com/bsBuIRC.mp4

You can skip 0:05 - 0:25 if you're min/maxing your laughs per second

:lol::lol:

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

:lmao:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

This dude is going to jail soon?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Is he actually going to jail??? if so loving :aslol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This dude is going to jail soon?

he pled guilty to a Jan 6th charge and is awaiting sentencing, max sentence is 6 months.