Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Yeah I think Dressed to Kill is a pretty good thriller (outside of the extremely outdated and problematic takes on psychology and gender). It's not on the same level as Blow Out, but the elevator scene and the chase on the subway are top-tier De Palma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Dressed to Kill is one of only two Criterions I've sold off because I knew I didn't want to watch the film ever again. It's not just the transphobic bullshit at the end, but the rape fantasy poo poo and casual racism on top of that. I'm just glad I saw this after a lot of other DePalmas because it was such a viscerally unpleasant film that I wouldn't have been as easy to look up Phantom of the Paradise, Sisters, Blow Out, or even Hi, Mom! at that.

What's funny is that Kino Lorber had attempted to get Blow Out, but it sounds like they got this as a consolation probably because Criterion doesn't want to touch it again.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Dazed and confused and the colors trilogy announced for UHD

Colors is a buy for sure, weirdly enough I don't feel a need to own dazed and confused, though it is a classic/solid

*unless colors is a piss filter release, then absolutely not

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

More importantly, Hollywood Shuffle is gettin a criterion edition

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
The more I think about Colors, and how in the mood for love just went down-

This is just going to be a UHD version of the existing blus, and they won't fix the weird framing problem on blue. So it's still down to the choice of correct framing but everything is yellow of the french UHD or better colors but blue is off
https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=16940&d2=16941&s1=185489&s2=185490&i=3&l=0

I have no faith in criterion that they listened to feedback and this will have a corrected blue (how do you let that get past QA, there's boom mics visible now you mooks: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x=425&y=147&d1=16940&d2=16941&s1=185487&s2=185488&l=0&i=18&go=1)

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 15, 2022

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

zer0spunk posted:

I have no faith in criterion that they listened to feedback and this will have a corrected blue (how do you let that get past QA, there's boom mics visible now you mooks: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x=425&y=147&d1=16940&d2=16941&s1=185487&s2=185488&l=0&i=18&go=1)

that's just user error, the owner of the uhd is expected to mask the frame with the proper aperture plate before displaying it on their 4k tv

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
After dorking out on this,

No one is sure which version the UHDs will be. More people seem to think it will be the already existing restorations used in france, which would mean a fixed version of blue.

Color wise there's this video that shows a 35mm print and the restoration side by side. I guess "blue" was supposed to have a yellow tint. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waMMm6FZNYo&t=29s)

So I guess I'll suck it up and pick this up if it's got the correct framing.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I impulse bought the Bergman box and the WKW box :negative:

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I like that the comments for Zeferelli’s Romeo and Juliet is people comparing notes about watching it in HS and what their teachers did about the nudity.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Arcella posted:

I like that the comments for Zeferelli’s Romeo and Juliet is people comparing notes about watching it in HS and what their teachers did about the nudity.

My teacher just warned us in advance and was like "be cool and don't make a big thing about this"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I got Cure. I hope it lives up to Kurosawa’s previous work I watched, his cameo appearance as himself in Koji Shiraishi’s horror mockumentary Occult.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cure and Pulse are both v cool

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gripweed posted:

I got Cure. I hope it lives up to Kurosawa’s previous work I watched, his cameo appearance as himself in Koji Shiraishi’s horror mockumentary Occult.

it's very good but come on, you ask the impossible

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Are there any thoughts on which world cinema project to get if you wanted to try one? Or is just all personal preference

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

checkplease posted:

Are there any thoughts on which world cinema project to get if you wanted to try one? Or is just all personal preference

They’re all full of bangers. First one is really reliable, I’d say if you want some reassurance. Touki Bouki, Redes and The Housemaid are worth the price of admission. But you really can’t go wrong with any of them though. Trust Marty.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It's leaving the channel at the end of the month, so don't skip Deep Cover if you can. Fishburne & Goldblum are perfect.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Chris Knight posted:

It's leaving the channel at the end of the month, so don't skip Deep Cover if you can. Fishburne & Goldblum are perfect.

That was a blind buy for me just based on loving both Fishburne and Goldblum and it's up there as one of my favorite movies.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Saw it at a Prince Charles Cinema Mystery screening, a few years before Criterion released it. PCC ahead of the game

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Sight ond Sound released their decennial list of the greatest films of all time

https://www.bfi.org.uk/sight-and-sound/greatest-films-all-time

Criterion of course had no problem putting up their list of films they have including the new #1

http://www.criterionchannel.com/sight-sound-s-greatest-films-of-all-time

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Chris Knight posted:

Roth posted:

That was a blind buy for me just based on loving both Fishburne and Goldblum and it's up there as one of my favorite movies.

Thanks to these posts I managed to watch Deep Cover on its last day. Fishburne is amazing intense and intimidating in this and just dominates every scene. By contrast the antagonist cocaine suppliers like Felix just feel so meek. But it was fun seeing them tying heads of state to the Latin American drug dealers and politicians in a return to real conspiracies. Also loved seeing Carver get his proper comeuppance at the end.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:getin:

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1603430475275509760

Other March releases:
Chilly Scenes of Winter
Last Hurrah for Chivalry
Mildred Pierce

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yay, finally an HD region 1 release for Last Hurrah for Chivalry!

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Hell yeah. Criterion Better Tomorrow, The Killer, and Hard Boiled when???

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Hot drat, wasn't expecting Mildred Pierce. That'll be a good one to have.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I've done it again where I look at clips of Titanic and go down a rabbit hole learning about the Titanic.

Think I'll watch A Night To Remember tonight.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Crosspost

Chris James 2 posted:

Criterion going to be releasing Triangle of Sadness, Petite Maman, Moonage Daydream and All The Beauty And The Bloodshed :woop:

https://twitter.com/neonrated/status/1614028432614232073?s=20

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

April releases announced

The Fisher King 4K
The Seventh Seal 4K
Triangle of Sadness
Small Axe: Five Films by Steve McQueen (Mangrove, Lovers Rock, Red White And Blue, Alex Wheatle and Education)

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1615399996001751040

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
thassa good month. don’t care about the Gilliam, but the rest are fantastic. Seventh Seal 4K :allears:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Small Axe is rad and cool and powerful and on Prime if you don't wanna give Criterion your money. The house party episode in particular is fantastic. I liked Triangle of Sadness but it can't help coming across as a a little generic and obvious compared to all the other eat the rich media that came out this year, I'd like to see The Square or Force Majeure in the collection.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I liked Triangle of Sadness but I feel like it made it juuuuust to the edge of saying something meaningful and then backed down

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It's all downhill once they flip the power dynamic imo. Turns into a bog standard message

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
That message also felt especially crass coming from a millionaire director.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Today’s announcements:

Wings of Desire (4K)
Branded to Kill (4K)
Targets
Petite maman
Thelma & Louise (4K)

Good-rear end month.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1630638482459598848

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Was that movie good?

I and many others slept on it, of course. How does it stack among GDT’s larger body of work?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I liked it but I've never seen the original.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It was fine I guess

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I thought it was pretty good/great, just not as much as the original which is a classic. The ending ruled and I felt it deserved better than its reputation ("box office flop" and critically forgotten due to being sandwiched in-between releases of other, also-pretty-good/great films West Side Story and Tragedy of Macbeth)

In terms of GDT's filmography I only love Pan's Labyrinth, Pinocchio, and Crimson Peak more; caveats are I haven't seen Devil's Backbone yet, and it's been a while since I saw Cronos so that could do for a rewatch. Shape of Water's close but I'd prefer rewatching this than that

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I think it’s one of GDTs least enjoyable films. It’s got some good stuff in it, but it’s very pessimistic compared to the rest of his work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

It's a good film that's a hard rewatch. I liked it better than the original, based mostly on the ending differences, but both are worth watching.