Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
damnmnnmmmmm thats so sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Captain Cool posted:

dead simple to start with, 20v wall wart feeding two LM317s. but keeping the innards modular so i could upgrade it to switching later

might be my last protoboard project. i had no idea custom pcbs were so cheap now. i saw $5 for 10 pieces and thought that has to be the price per piece

nice, I’m looking to get a PCB made for the first time. where’s that deal at?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

toiletbrush posted:

spent a couple of hours getting refraction and basic diffuse transmission/reflection working, refraction isn't based on wavelength though.

what have you coded this in

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

namlosh posted:

nice, I’m looking to get a PCB made for the first time. where’s that deal at?
https://pcbway.com though that price is only for their leaded process
https://jlcpcb.com is also super cheap and making it lead-free only adds a buck
both of the above are on https://pcbshopper.com
digikey has a cheap US-based pcb service but it's only as cheap as the above if your board is around 1 square inch https://www.digikey.com/en/resources/dkred

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

echinopsis posted:

what have you coded this in
The best language, swift. I’ll probably put it on GitHub at some point

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cool

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I don't have a problem, what gives you the idea that I have one.

Picked up these four PowerMacs (PowersMac?) for AU$100 the lot.

Going from left to right, the B&W G3 powers up but doesn't display anything to my monitor. It does contain a couple of SCSI cards in it, one of the cards controlling a couple of SCSI HDDs in it. A friend of mine has a faulty B&W so they'll probably grab that off me. I already have a B&W G3 with a G4 CPU upgrade in it so I don't really want a second one.

The Sawtooth G4 has either a faulty PSU or something in it that's causing the PSU to shut off as soon as it is powered up. This PowerMac will probably get the least amount of attention from me because it is a slow G4, the only thing of interest in it is a SCSI card.

The Quicksilver powers up and loads OSX 10.2.8(!) from the HDD. However it sounds like the fans are dying in it so I'll replace them during the Christmas break, and look at wiping the HDD and putting on a fresh copy of OSX 10.4.

The MDD is the PowerMac I wanted. This has the dual 1.25GHz CPU setup in it, and can run OS 9 as it isn't the FW800 model. Powers up fine and runs OSX 10.2.8 (holy poo poo I don't think I have touched that since 2003). Fans don't make any dying noises, but I'll replace both the PSU fans and the 120mm case fan. Will also do a HDD wipe and put on a fresh install of 10.4. For some reason it also has a 50GB HDD in addition to the 80GB HDD that has no partitions on it but it is connected up and running. Weird. This PowerMac will be the one getting most of my attention, the others will either be sold off, given to friends or left to rot live in my garage until someone asks about it.

I gave the G4 MDD a clean down, as it was covered in dust and gunk that computers seem to get when they are left in a warehouse or garage.

Before:

After:

The old thing has come up nicely. Next up, new PRAM battery and fans.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
holy crap that's an amazing haul, good job

Got a hacked version of refraction working...

it's really obvious I need to actually read up about how light works cos the way I'm doing it isn't right at all. Right now I'm basically assuming hue = wavelength and using it as a modifier for the IOR, but hue and wavelength don't really map to each other. This is why both ends of the rainbows are bright purple rather than dying out to black at the red and blue ends like they should (I think?)

So instead I'm going to have to model lights as actually outputting a spectrum of colour, which is actually really easy, the tricky bit is going to be accumulating light of different wavelengths in a way that sort of matches perception. I'll leave that for later. The upside is it's easy to model surfaces the same way, have wavelength-specific scattering and absorption and accurately model lights of different types.

also seeing some artefacts, like the bands on the right edge of the prism, not really sure what that's down to

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Magenta light doesn't exist. It's purely a perceptual artifact that your brain makes up when receiving equal amounts of red and blue light. It will never exist in a rainbow :eng101:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

toiletbrush posted:

holy crap that's an amazing haul, good job

Got a hacked version of refraction working...

it's really obvious I need to actually read up about how light works cos the way I'm doing it isn't right at all. Right now I'm basically assuming hue = wavelength and using it as a modifier for the IOR, but hue and wavelength don't really map to each other. This is why both ends of the rainbows are bright purple rather than dying out to black at the red and blue ends like they should (I think?)

So instead I'm going to have to model lights as actually outputting a spectrum of colour, which is actually really easy, the tricky bit is going to be accumulating light of different wavelengths in a way that sort of matches perception. I'll leave that for later. The upside is it's easy to model surfaces the same way, have wavelength-specific scattering and absorption and accurately model lights of different types.

also seeing some artefacts, like the bands on the right edge of the prism, not really sure what that's down to

that’s so cool

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy's_equation

might find that a starting point idk. regardless I love it

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
yeah, that's really really satisfying.

maybe this set of links on light stuff will be useful? https://www.alanzucconi.com/2017/10/27/carpaint-shader-thin-film-interference/

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I realise the link I shared probably won’t help.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I got a weird little NCR tablet pen computer from 1991. unfortunately it did not come with the charger, so I get to figure out how to build an 8-pin minidin adapter (I have the power connector pinout) that can run it off my bench supply. fortunately it only wants 5.6V and 1.5A

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

xpost from the weekend thread

PokeJoe posted:

I finally finished my plant case

Designed and built 100% by me

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
stick a camera in it somewhere and make some dank time lapses tia

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
plants are neat and that's a cool plant case :shobon:

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
last post until it does something more interesting, but it's modelling light more accurately now, no more RGB hacks, just wavelengths :cool:

It's all a bit exaggerated for the pic above, but it can be realistic if you need it to be. Also figured out what all those glitches are about, not hard to fix but will wreck performance a bit, although multithreading will more than cover the difference. Hopefully it'll be fast enough to generate decent images at interactive speeds, cos playing around with this stuff in a gui would be nuts.

For reference, this takes about a 80th of a second on a single core

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mate I honestly love it so much. would love very much to play around with it some time in the future if you ever make it play around able

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Internet Janitor posted:

i've been working for way too long on a hypercard-like thing called "decker"

it can be used for rapid prototyping, making presentations, or just messing around with 1-bit pixel art stuff. probably the neatest part is that it comes as a native app that is capable of compiling "decks" into a standalone self-executing html document that still includes all the editing tools, so it's easy to share stuff you make with it and try stuff out without having to install anything

the scripting language is also novel; aesthetically it's a lot like lua, but semantically it's a dynamic functional language a lot like q, with first-class tables and a query syntax

the project page is here if anyone wants to play with it

just happened upon this again from somewhere else, good stuff that it's actually progressing

i will admit that while i liked all parts i felt it a touch limited and assumed it'd stay that way, but some solid updates and a bit of a community!

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
thanks!

decker definitely has deliberate creative constraints, but i'm working hard to squash bugs and improve usability. if i keep improving, hopefully over time more people will give it a try and make stuff

if anyone's interested, i'm hosting a little game jam for the tool this month, which already has some neat submissions

i just made this silly thing today:

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
after 6 months of putting it off I finally had time to put my Pluto+ SDR transceiver in a rack chassis, next to a custom antenna/filter selector board

it runs a shell script that reads the receivers frequency using the sysfs interface, and selects the best filter automatically
actually controlling the filter selector is done using SPI (talking to a CPLD on the filter board), which I also do with the sysfs GPIO interface and a shell script, taking less than 50 ms to write a byte!
it also prints the status info on a front panel LCD that came with the repurposed chassis I use

to control it I made a web interface

which is also a shell script

I added transverter control to the UI already but the actual transverter hardware isn't ready yet

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

bit-banging spi with bash

hot

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

cgi forever in style

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
my choices were cgi with shell scripts, or php. i think i made the right call

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
amazing, and i was thinking about you and your mad scientist projects the other day and wondering where you went. glad to hear you didnt grab the wrong end of the soldering iron or something

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

longview posted:

after 6 months of putting it off I finally had time to put my Pluto+ SDR transceiver in a rack chassis, next to a custom antenna/filter selector board

it runs a shell script that reads the receivers frequency using the sysfs interface, and selects the best filter automatically
actually controlling the filter selector is done using SPI (talking to a CPLD on the filter board), which I also do with the sysfs GPIO interface and a shell script, taking less than 50 ms to write a byte!
it also prints the status info on a front panel LCD that came with the repurposed chassis I use

to control it I made a web interface

which is also a shell script

I added transverter control to the UI already but the actual transverter hardware isn't ready yet

that's some top-notch HAM quality software, well done.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

just pushed out a new release of Decker that adds a pretty cool feature: a facility for creating "custom widgets" that can be reused throughout and between decks

conceptually, a "contraption" behaves like a small card from the inside- with a background image, local scripts and sub-widgets. from the outside, they behave like any other widget, and can even supply a custom GUI for configuring their properties

you can optionally make contraptions resizable based on a 9-slice, making them potentially useful for purely decorative purposes

the guided tour includes a few example contraptions, and i hope that over time users and i can build up a varied library of them, ready to copy and paste into projects

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

i've been building up a library of interesting contraptions, ranging from useful pickers to very silly decorative stuff:

one idea that i think is pretty powerful is designing contraptions that have animation or behavior and which take images as parameters, creating a sort of interactive "puppet" that doesn't require users to write any code at all:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

that's pretty neat

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I make pottery and have been making it for a year and few months now. All marketing is dumb poo poo insta feels so I don’t really have anything set up except my posting in various discords and here now I guess

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 14, 2023

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
not trying to say buy my book more yelling at clouds about the state of socials and showing your craft these days

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
10/10 would sip tea out of those or water my ferns or even just set them on my desk to look nice

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

oh, hey, this thread. i did this idiot spare time project a few months back.

didn't want the ugly black and silver plastic dell monitor sitting here so i made a better case out of douglas fir and poplar

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

That's great, nice work!

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Elder Postsman posted:

didn't want the ugly black and silver plastic dell monitor sitting here so i made a better case out of douglas fir and poplar

lmfao this is awesome.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Elder Postsman posted:

hell yeah

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

https://crimecommitter.com

crime committer might be the best idea I've ever had. after watuary at least. its definitely the best url I own

I have finished my professional development for the year, and while I have some real things I need to work on, including trying to get some appt to fix my brain, I need a side gig, and crime committer should be it

I am fairly happy with the idea, but scope creep hosed me up a bit because it was also the driving force behind me working on it. I would have an idea of what to add, and I felt motivated to do that thing. when I finally hit a point where I needed to polish it and add crimes, I failed. I even paid a dude $100 to write some funny poo poo to put in the website

this is the gameplay:

you start a crime. a crime takes a time. I didn't use a countdown or timer, I just calculated the time the crime would finish and store that in a cookie, and then constantly reference the current time vs the end time and when it was finished - and you could come back to th ecomputer and open a closed tab and if it was after the finish time then it would be ready, making it easy to encouarge players to come back day after day - you clicked and collected the rewards. some crimes are short enough they happen in front of you, some might be 20 mins, and some might be a few days

you got money, you got notoriety, and you may get an inventory item

some crimes cost money
for example the "mail order scam" costs $5 and returns you $37 and takes 20 minutes
and it occurred to me that you could use this to "buy" something, for example buying a thief kit, might cost $10 and take 5 seconds and you get the inventory item

some crimes require notoriety
this is the mechanism for climbing the ladder and moving to different locations. different parts of town that have crimes with higher and higher costs.
its the mechanism that prevents the player from doing every crime from the get go

some crimes require an inventory item
for example "skaeboarding" crime requires a skateboard. I tried to make this as an example of why someone might want to play more and more, because you need a skateboard to do this crime, but you need to do a crime in the second town to get a skateboard, and you need to commit a few crimes to get to that town.
this is also a mechanism that allows me to have some crimes have inventory pre-reqs. this is defo when scope creep started entering, and I wasn't sure if this was a good thing or not. it's also where it borderline starting entering "adventure game" territory
you can click on an item and get an old school description of it

one thing that is a definite issue is that, being too close to the game, it was really obvious to me what everything is, but the design is not intuitive like I hoped. and I wasn't sure how to fix that. I had a bottom section that told the player what was going on, but it doesnt really stand out.

anyway, I definitely don't have the mental energy to fix it as is, and I'd have to restart, which means remembering all the code lessons I learned but have now forgotten. but I could probably get to an acceptable place quickly.

my exwife was just over. I showed it to her but she was unimpressed. who knows why I am writing this

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It's a good game idea echi I love 2 do crime

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm gonna admit to a crime right now: I've smoked in a no smoking area 😨

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that's a good crime

one thing that kind of happened accidenally:

someone had shared with me a twitter account that posted lots of ridiculous but very real crimes, for example there was some law about transporting a walrus across state lines or some such

I used this as one of my crimes in an early edition, and some people kind of ran with the idea a bit, and gave all sorts of suggestions about different crimes I could add to the game. I mean it would kind of be cool if it was in some way capable of handling lots of crimes, although the purpose of which idk

anyway the suggestions were all pretty monkey cheese, which is not the direction I wanted to take the game. I want to include all sorts of crimes except for assault crimes. crimes I can make light hearted commentary about, but not crimes which in of themselves are comedic. its just not the vibe I had envisaged.

thats just a wee tale abot some behind the scenes stuff going on, since I have a crime committer twitter account and also a discord

PokeJoe posted:

It's a good game idea echi I love 2 do crime

same, and thanks. tbh I probably need to partner up with someone who has a different but compatible set of skills to me, in order to actually get it off the ground