Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The cult one was pretty fun for a while although it got boring with the classic ubisoft climb this tower to view the map style of gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i've played every far cry except 6 and new dawn is my favorite. super fun

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

susan b buffering posted:

more games really should do this when they have a "but thou must" type prompt

in psychonauts if you decline to save the world the old guy slaps your poo poo and goes "how 'bout now?"

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

4 is the only one i've played, but this thread caused me to at least look at 5 and think "i should grab then when it's on sale"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
far cry 2's version of the dunia engine was just so much better in a ton of ways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCeEvQ68jY8

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i hear far cry primal is deece

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

echinopsis posted:

it's its own thing but totally deece

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

dioxazine posted:

how was the saints row reboot, anyway?

the consensus seems to be that it was a buggy mess, and if the bugs were fixed it would still be boring

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

that's a shame. i liked 2 and 3 well enough, but felt like 4 went way off the field

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

2 was the best, 3 was good, couldn't get into 4, didn't bother with gat out of hell, 5 was alright. didn't seem nearly as buggy to me as reviewers were saying it was but it had a lot of grind that I wasn't a big fan of gating parts of the story which would have been a better reason for its poor reviews than "it's literally unplayable and not exactly like I remember saints row 2 being. please ignore that saints row 2 was also a buggy crashy mess"

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

ok, i think i've well and truly beat vampire survivors at this point

:hmmyes:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There's a proper engine replacement for Dark Forces (and eventually Outlaws) now so you don't have to play using DarkXL which is kinda busted still, or DOSBox

https://theforceengine.github.io/

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

echinopsis posted:

I thought it was a lot of fun, plus there's a lot of animals to pet

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

was far cry 4 the one where you could finish it in 5 minutes with the secret ending if you just wait at the table in the very beginning and then the villain gives you the thing you wanted

I liked that one

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

i am trying dwarf fortress. i am very confused.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

echinopsis posted:

i bet primal cries would go pretty far

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Gnossiennes posted:

I unironically think I was better at the ASCII version because it made me learn the key sequences whereas now it takes me goddamn ages to place chairs or whatever clicking through the menus

also I can't find the goddamn caverns so my animals are just hanging out outside ready to get rekt by goblins and about 20 bards are in my tavern

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tekken 7 is $10 or so

I haven't played it since 3. I loved it back then on the ps1

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I jsut watched some videos and it lokos kinda poo poo

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I unironically think I was better at the ASCII version because it made me learn the key sequences whereas now it takes me goddamn ages to place chairs or whatever clicking through the menus

also I can't find the goddamn caverns so my animals are just hanging out outside ready to get rekt by goblins and about 20 bards are in my tavern

working in the repl versus working in vscode

echinopsis posted:

I jsut watched some videos and it lokos kinda poo poo

echi you still got rimworld to play

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

tekken 7 is really really good echi, if you’re craving a 3d fighter you should get it

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Gnossiennes posted:

here's a good intro video that takes you past the in-game tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEt87BikHzA

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
I'm down to get my rear end beat in Tekken 7 on PC whenever any of y'all are looking to play.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

quiggy posted:

here's a good intro video that takes you past the in-game tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEt87BikHzA

ty, that was much more helpful than the in game tutorial!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Valve finally released the thing we've been waiting for all these years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm5Dz9jmf1o&hd=1

akadajet fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 21, 2022

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
tekken 7 is really awesome at the beginner level and absolutely miserable at intermediate and above. luckily it takes 1000 hours to get there so it’s good value

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
in tekken, you can play as a bear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm3ZGC9gxxs

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

dunno if anyone else here is playing the mobile brainworm that is marvel snap but lmao just had my quickest win ever: start of game first location reveals as sakaar, opponent has priority. they pull devil dino, i pull gambit, gambit discards black cat and nukes the dino, opponent immediately retreats before either of us can play a card :allears:

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i understood some of those words

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/RealEOC/status/1605229288604712961

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i understood some of those words

the less-nerd explanation is "starting game effect causes each of us to play a random card from our hand, they played their big bomb card and win condition, i played a card that randomly destroys one of their cards, immediately destroying their wincon before either of us can take an action"

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

today i learned that there is a marvel tcg!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

it's basically a perfect phone game: matches are <5 minutes, there's a goodly amount of thought in both deckbuilding and gameplay, and while you can absolutely ruin your bank account with it the whales only play other whales so you're free to slowly grind cards if that's what you prefer

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

oh also it has a neat risk/reward mechanic, the titular "snap": all matches are played for "cubes", winner takes cubes from loser. by default a game is worth 1 cube, and it doubles after the last turn, but also you can snap once per game to double the number of cubes on the line. a significant part of gameplay is trying to bait your opponent into snapping when they shouldnt

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

for mobile gaming, i've been on mahjong soul for a while. i have the ability to lose to three people at the same time

i love mahjong

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

god, i'm turning into an old fogey. sitting here thinking "does nobody play card games with physical cards anymore?"

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

nudgenudgetilt posted:

god, i'm turning into an old fogey. sitting here thinking "does nobody play card games with physical cards anymore?"

the only good in-person card game, illimat, gets a second edition next february :)

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

also ive been trying to learn mahjong and it's not going well

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

quiggy posted:

also ive been trying to learn mahjong and it's not going well

it can also get a bit strange, since there's five or six rulesets!

riichi is probably the easiest to learn though

nudgenudgetilt posted:

my father used to have a mahjong den where he and the boys would chain smoke, drink, and smash tiles two or three times a week. my mother never allowed me near that room but my father did pass to me his old ivory set which is very yellowed and stained. venerable, you could say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

dioxazine posted:

it can also get a bit strange, since there's five or six rulesets!

riichi is probably the easiest to learn though

riichi is what i'm trying to learn. my biggest problem is just trying to keep all the terminology straight since it's all words i have no context for: pon, ron, riichi, yaku, etc