Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The character draws on a few different sources but Musk was doing poo poo like putting his car into space and selling flamethrowers years before the first movie came out. Even his name feels vaguely similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I think it’s cool when you talk about any movie, even if it doesn’t align with my specific thoughts.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Ditocoaf posted:

I've been lurking this thread, and the only two things I want to chime in with are:

1) It's definitely not a narrow parody of Musk in particular. Alpha read as an amalgam of Facebook (because of the early-founder betrayal thing), Google (tech company with its fingers in everything, then name), and Amazon (tech company with its fingers in even more everything, most famous billionaire). Elon Musk fits the mold, but he only reads so strongly because he's an especially prominent dumbass-billionaire while the movie happened to release, way after it was written. If anything, I expect that Miles Bron was written as a cross between Bezos and Zuckerberg. These people aren't especially smart. It's almost unfortunate that one of them revealed themselves as undeniably dumb right before the movie released, because it encourages people to read the broader critique as about a specific person.

2) I liked almost everything about the ending, especially Blanc admitting that the truth wasn't going to actually help anything, except all the cronies suddenly turning on Bron, which I feel like pulled the punch the movie was throwing. I would have loved it if the movie ended with Bron shrugging off even the destruction of his island home. Yeah, he's losing everything that his company put behind the hydrogen fuel, which would probably be a nonstarter after this public disaster. But his toadies wouldn't realistically turn on him if he still has more wealth and power than they do, and he'd still be disgustingly rich at 10% of his starting wealth. It'd be a strong ending, and people would leave the theater frustrated and angry in a way I'd personally find satisfying. But yeah, this isn't my movie.

And yeah, feel free to say I'm just a random leftist hoping the movie catered to me even more than it already did, so my take is dismissable that way. But idunno, I genuinely don't need every movie to cater to me politically, but I do think everything should try to be the most of whatever it is. It felt like it was trying to bite that particular hand, so bite hard while you're there.

My thoughts on the ending:
They turned on him once it became clear that he just couldn't cover it up. There is a dead guy, an island that blew up from his new fuel source, and the Mona Lisa has been destroyed.

It plays into his disruptor speech. When Heather starts smashing the glass, they all get behind her because it doesn't change anything and it lets them feel good about standing up to Miles. But when they see she isn't going to stop at breaking some glass, they get scared because it means ending the whole Miles thing they had. But once the new reality sets in, and they have more to lose by staying true to Miles, they turn on him.

Plus, if the movie ended on Miles just getting away with it, the film would be miserable and it would undercut the message. The film is saying that these celebrity CEOs are all a lot stupider than we think and they get away with terrible things because people enable them. So the ending is supposed to show that if these people turned on Miles, he would be nothing.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The movie isn't about Elon.

It's Jobs and Woz. Andi even says "reality distortion field" in their office flashback.

Also I wasn't a fan of all the celebrity cameos but I did laugh at Yo Yo Ma and Serena Williams

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I can't believe no one else caught the Joseph Gordon-Levitt cameo:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ditocoaf posted:

I've been lurking this thread, and the only two things I want to chime in with are:

2) I liked almost everything about the ending, especially Blanc admitting that the truth wasn't going to actually help anything, except all the cronies suddenly turning on Bron, which I feel like pulled the punch the movie was throwing. I would have loved it if the movie ended with Bron shrugging off even the destruction of his island home. Yeah, he's losing everything that his company put behind the hydrogen fuel, which would probably be a nonstarter after this public disaster. But his toadies wouldn't realistically turn on him if he still has more wealth and power than they do, and he'd still be disgustingly rich at 10% of his starting wealth. It'd be a strong ending, and people would leave the theater frustrated and angry in a way I'd personally find satisfying. But yeah, this isn't my movie.

And yeah, feel free to say I'm just a random leftist hoping the movie catered to me even more than it already did, so my take is dismissable that way. But idunno, I genuinely don't need every movie to cater to me politically, but I do think everything should try to be the most of whatever it is. It felt like it was trying to bite that particular hand, so bite hard while you're there.

Regarding 2, they're a pack of selfish assholes. Taking Miles down not only gets Miles off their collective back (because he might well eventually decide to kill them just to be safe), it likely boosts their personal fame and wealth.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Yeah, at the end of the movie things have completely changed. If people repeat their bad behavior, they can get paid off again, or at least not implicated in the crimes of the film.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

a new study bible! posted:

I have a real problem with everyone taking the random mysterious pharmaceutical spray without question.

At first watch, I thought it was the Secret Billionaire COVID Cure All but in hindsight, it was totally an Ivermectin Situation, wasn’t it?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Zero One posted:

The movie isn't about Elon.

It's Jobs and Woz. Andi even says "reality distortion field" in their office flashback.

It’s not about any particular person. He’s an rear end in a top hat in an easily recognizable mold.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Heres my one complaint -- Glass Onion feels tied to a Reality that doesn't match our own in a way Knives Out didn't. In KO, obviously Harlan Thromby and Blood Like Wine Publishing don't really exist, but other than that, it's believable that this would be an incident, a case, that actually happened somewhen. It hit local news, the publishing/lit community would be aware, but the actual family drama is contained. The characters are mostly relatable people. My literal IRL aunt is a realtor that made Linda Thromby levels of money, for example. The two deaths are ultimately a suicide and a fairly rote murder.

But in Glass Onion, almost everyone is Someone. Alpha exists as a massive known company in the universe, Duke is one of the most viewed streamers on two different platforms, Claire is a governor running for an even higher office, Jared Leto and Jeremy Renner and Serena Williams know one of the main characters, the literal Mona Lisa gets destroyed.

That's been bugging me since my theatrical viewing, why this one felt different than the first. It's taking place in a world that can't quite square with ours.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

Carpet posted:

I think it was obviously supposed to be the super secret rich people-only vaccine

That's what the movie's wanting the audience to think, sure, but it's far too early for even the experimental vaccine. Besides, it fits the overarching theme of "Bron's a loving idiot who acts like a genius" far better if it's just hydroxychloroquine or ivermectin.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m bad at watching movies, why does Bron invite Andi in the first place? I thought she had been cut out of the group years earlier. And if Helen received the invite box wouldn’t Bron have killed Andi before having the box delivered? Or did she find it in her sister’s house unopened. But that brings me back to the first question

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

stratdax posted:

well I think it was just some dumb bullshit that a moron like Bron would think works.

Yeah, I assumed they just got a placebo because Bron is a piece of poo poo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Snowy posted:

I’m bad at watching movies, why does Bron invite Andi in the first place? I thought she had been cut out of the group years earlier. And if Helen received the invite box wouldn’t Bron have killed Andi before having the box delivered? Or did she find it in her sister’s house unopened. But that brings me back to the first question

The implication that I got was that Andi always got an invite, she just never showed up before. Bron invited her out of what he perceived to be fairness and what she probably took as condescending. I think it's Lionel that gets the line "the question isn't why was she invited, it's why did she show up?"

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

There was one funny bit I noticed on a rewatch where they mention that one of Alphas facilities (the one Lionel is in) was built entirely on NFT money which is really funny given how that market crashed into oblivion well after this movie had been made/written.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Snowy posted:

During the balcony chat with Blanc, Helen mentions she found the box in her sister's things. Bron sent a box to Andi, even though she was already dead, because he always sent an invite in the past, and it would look suspicious if he didn't.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
As far as I understand, the sequence is 1. Andi and others receive boxes (not sure she always got one or if this was special) 2. Andi breaks the box and finds the invitation. 3. Angry over the invitation, she tears down a bookcase and finds the napkin. 4. She sends the email. 5. Murder.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
No, Helen breaks the box

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

DoctorWhat posted:

No, Helen breaks the box

Yea... this is like the biggest hint who Helen is even before the flashback sequence.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

No, Helen breaks the box

yea Andi tears down her bookcase after seeing the fake napkin Bron cooked up

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

jivjov posted:

The implication that I got was that Andi always got an invite, she just never showed up before. Bron invited her out of what he perceived to be fairness and what she probably took as condescending. I think it's Lionel that gets the line "the question isn't why was she invited, it's why did she show up?"

Skippy McPants posted:

During the balcony chat with Blanc, Helen mentions she found the box in her sister's things. Bron sent a box to Andi, even though she was already dead, because he always sent an invite in the past, and it would look suspicious if he didn't.

Ah ok thanks, when they were on the dock I thought one of the characters had said Bron had previously cut her out of the group

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Snowy posted:

Ah ok thanks, when they were on the dock I thought one of the characters had said Bron had previously cut her out of the group

Oh she absolutely was cut out of the group. Nobody expected her to show up, even laying aside the possibility that some of the group might suspect she's dead. Sending her the invite for her to ignore every year was the peacemaker version of just actively banning her from attending at all.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

jivjov posted:

Oh she absolutely was cut out of the group. Nobody expected her to show up, even laying aside the possibility that some of the group might suspect she's dead. Sending her the invite for her to ignore every year was the peacemaker version of just actively banning her from attending at all.

Yeah, sending the partner you stabbed in the back an invite to your yearly "look at how well loving you over worked out for me," party is 100% of the kind of poo poo Bron would pull.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

How are we to understand that Miles helped people, given he’s a moron? And why did Andi start a company with an idiot as a co-founder? Is the fact that she got outmaneuvered by him meant to indicate she’s not particular bright either? Because Helen seems reasonably sharp.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Sir Kodiak posted:

How are we to understand that Miles helped people, given he’s a moron? And why did Andi start a company with an idiot as a co-founder? Is the fact that she got outmaneuvered by him meant to indicate she’s not particular bright either? Because Helen seems reasonably sharp.

Bron, like Elon Musk, is presumably very good at getting people to worship him and do what he wants

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

Miles is the one of the gang who started with money. He was funding their various ventures even before Alpha brought him from rich to ultrarich.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Sir Kodiak posted:

He seemed like he started out as that kind of slightly sketchy friend who always knew a guy and he used his contacts to help the Disruptors/Shitheads get in touch with the right person. He's the guy who knows a guy, and he was presumably a good hype man. As for getting Social Network'd, he relied in his army of lawyers to do the real work. The one thing that he did that she wasn't expecting was getting the rest of her friends to stab her in the back.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

stratdax posted:

well I think it was just some dumb bullshit that a moron like Bron would think works.

Yeah, I think we were supposed to think it was magic rich-person anti-Covid serum in the beginning and by the end look back and realize that it was probably just dumb bullshit.

Ditocoaf posted:

I think it's entirely realistic to show rats leaving the sinking ship the second they feel the water on their feet. Between two murders and the imminent failure of his big venture and the destruction of a beloved work of art, enough people will be pissed enough at Miles that he's worth tossing to the wolves. It's not like he'd be the first extremely wealthy person to have his inner circle dissipate at the sign of incoming doom, and they were all willing to still stick with him through murder. Their hearts didn't suddenly grow three sizes, the situation just got hosed enough for the math to change.

jivjov posted:

Heres my one complaint -- Glass Onion feels tied to a Reality that doesn't match our own in a way Knives Out didn't. In KO, obviously Harlan Thromby and Blood Like Wine Publishing don't really exist, but other than that, it's believable that this would be an incident, a case, that actually happened somewhen. It hit local news, the publishing/lit community would be aware, but the actual family drama is contained. The characters are mostly relatable people. My literal IRL aunt is a realtor that made Linda Thromby levels of money, for example. The two deaths are ultimately a suicide and a fairly rote murder.

But in Glass Onion, almost everyone is Someone. Alpha exists as a massive known company in the universe, Duke is one of the most viewed streamers on two different platforms, Claire is a governor running for an even higher office, Jared Leto and Jeremy Renner and Serena Williams know one of the main characters, the literal Mona Lisa gets destroyed.

That's been bugging me since my theatrical viewing, why this one felt different than the first. It's taking place in a world that can't quite square with ours.

Terrible people with obscene wealth and fame hang out together on private islands in the real world, and it's not uncommon for terrible things to happen on those islands.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Also what got Andi killed was she recognized how much of an idiot he was. Her getting outmaneuvered and betrayed by everyone else plays into this as well because she probably just couldn't believe anyone was going along with someone openly stupid.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Also, Miles may be an idiot, but he’s great at getting other people to do work and either presenting that work as his own (the puzzle boxes that everyone called his but he had a guy for, the murder mystery “I put a lot of work into” that was written by someone else) or just dropping the name of who did it as a flex of how connected and powerful he was (Glass as the bong composer). Between those things and the constant “he’s a tech genius” hype, people near him stop noticing or ignore that he’s not actually smart.

Also, Miles beating Andi for the company seemed to have far less to do with “Miles is smart” and far more with “Miles is willing to shank his best friend for what he wants, and to manipulate people into joining him in the shanking, and Andi assumed that friends don’t do that to each other.”

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Here's what I want to know: did Rian Johnson actually get Philip Glass to compose the Hourly Dong?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

Here's what I want to know: did Rian Johnson actually get Philip Glass to compose the Hourly Dong?

You mean did he get Glass to compose Joseph Gordon-Levitt?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
really excellent film, better than i even expected it to be. what a weird rennaissance we're having of old-timey whodunnit movies

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Miles is the guy who got 5 million in seed money from his dad and happened to parlay that into a billion in the 90s when it was easy to get rich by doing "normal business stuff but online"

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Does that come up in the movie, like in the flashback to Miles being introduced or something? Didn't recall any mention of him starting out rich, but easily might have missed something.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

Does that come up in the movie, like in the flashback to Miles being introduced or something? Didn't recall any mention of him starting out rich, but easily might have missed something.

Nah I’m pretty sure they don’t say that but it isn’t a hard to infer based on how he starts out with a bunch of connections and start up capital abc stuff

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I'm in the middle of watching The Last of Sheila now, and it certainly speaks to the attitudes of Hollywood in the 1970s that one of the secrets they call "enough to make us squirm, but not enough to kill for" is loving child molestation, while some of the other secrets are stuff like shoplifting and being gay.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 26, 2022

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

sethsez posted:

Terrible people with obscene wealth and fame hang out together on private islands in the real world, and it's not uncommon for terrible things to happen on those islands.

I don't think I quite articulated my point well. Knives Out player to me like something that could have happened in our actual world, but Glass Onion has larger than life characters and fictional companies and globally recognized consequences

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

ymgve posted:

I'm in the middle of watching The Last of Sheila now, and it certainly speaks to the attitudes of Hollywood in the 1970s that one of the secrets they call "enough to make us squirm, but not enough to kill for" is loving child molestation, while some of the other secrets are stuff like shoplifting and being gay.

Yeah that was always something I found uncomfortable, and wasn't sure if I should take it as "these people are blase about it because they're rich assholes" or "these people are blase about it because it's a 70s movie."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Movie absolutely ruled, loved it. One of my favorite bits is Peg implying that retail work was so bad, she decided it would be better to go back to being Birdie's assistant. The movie is so real for that.

One thing I'm wondering: while Blanc is going off on how loving stupid Bron is, there's a moment where he looks at Helen and hesitates for a moment before continuing. I think that's just Blanc realizing that Bron stole the shooting idea from him, right? Just want to make sure I'm not misreading that part.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 26, 2022