Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I absolutely refuse to try any sort of gaming on Linux until it’s been mostly bulletproof for 5 years

I loving hate windows and wish I could rid myself of it forever, but alas :sigh:

the steam deck is a legit pretty smooth experience, especially if you stick to steam stuff. I've only really tried to install two nonsteam games, ffxiv wasn't a painful install although I had to follow an install guide, only homm3 via gog was rough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

generally anything steam based works well enough that I don't bother with checking reviews ahead of time and just rely on steam refunds to sort things

obviously the epic store under linux is way off anyone's happy path though

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

hbag you're on the wrong account

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I can’t do controllers and most of the games I like aren’t on console or mac.

:rip:

the new xbox controller is very good

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I absolutely refuse to try any sort of gaming on Linux until it’s been mostly bulletproof for 5 years

I loving hate windows and wish I could rid myself of it forever, but alas :sigh:

ime steam is pretty bulletproof now but I only play single player games.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Minecraft Steve nude patch

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

What a cockblock

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

post hole digger posted:

ime steam is pretty bulletproof now but I only play single player games.

lol early steam rocked, half the time it went down or the lovely green display wouldn’t function

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
this is more about steam's compatibility layer for running windows stuff on linux.

yes you can computer janitor your way to something broadly equivalent since all the important parts are open source, but it's definitely not something you'd want to screw around with if you just want to sit down and video a jame. supposedly stuff like Bottles or Heroic Launcher can do that stuff in a storefront-agnostic way but it's a lot less polished than Steam on Linux is.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
my main bugbear with linux steam is that everything is containerized for compatibility reasons. every game gets its own virtual not-windows install. however, there is no option to run an arbitrary EXE inside that container nor does it show that container's start menu anywhere. so if you want to run any sort of mods then it is a very painful command line-intensive process. if they added those options to a little dropdown on the game's Start button it would make a lot of things so much easier.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

the past few days there's been a handful of 'first reviews' for the upcoming (March 2023) GPD WIN 4 handheld pc gaming console - it looks like fun, but drat it's expensive compared to a Steam Deck. Even more portable if you thought the SD was a touch too big and clunky (fair) and the whole-rear end pre-iPhone slide out keyboard is a decision alright.

bless this guy works for the main reseller in the uk and making this video talking through a thick cold-bunged nose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDGHeRRyHDU

Battery life is still p. lol under full load but with some thermal tinkering you can probably eke three hours out of a session, which is not terrible.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

ffs

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

is armor in mh rise fashion souls or do i have to give a poo poo?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Armitag3 posted:

What a cockblock

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah none of these deck competitors understand that the console-like price point is a major part of the deck's appeal. the cheapest deck is the sku with the highest demand.

if you charge $1k for a so-called deck competitor then you're not selling a portable console, you're selling a small crappy pc

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

you also have to make the controller comfortable and not mimic the PSP or Switch

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

double

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

so an xbox controller with a screen in the middle then

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

my main bugbear with linux steam is that everything is containerized for compatibility reasons. every game gets its own virtual not-windows install. however, there is no option to run an arbitrary EXE inside that container nor does it show that container's start menu anywhere. so if you want to run any sort of mods then it is a very painful command line-intensive process. if they added those options to a little dropdown on the game's Start button it would make a lot of things so much easier.

yeah this is my biggest complaint with how steam currently deals with the prefixes. having everything sandboxed is ok since you may need some tweaks or different libraries here and there. but being unable to just run an .exe within a sandbox is limiting. and for installing non-steam games, you can run the installer .exe but then you'd have trouble running the installed game since it's a different executable.

you just kind of end up with a lot of prefixes, and the prefixes are all just big numbers which is hard to tell what's what, especially if it's non-steam.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Its literally just protontricks-launch --appid 42069 $HOME/butts/farts.exe

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Casual Encountess posted:

is armor in mh rise fashion souls or do i have to give a poo poo?

fashion souls at first, mostly. usually there's one armor set that's good for just about all of low rank (where you start off), usually one with lots of basic skills like Attack or Evade Extend/Window or whatever. i don't remember what monster that'd be in Rise but I bet google does

once you break into high rank* (you'll be told, don't worry about it until then) you still don't need to give a poo poo, technically; but unless you're a god gamer you'll probably have a real bad time. again though you can look up builds for ideas of what to make that's generally regarded as effective

* arguably sooner, i forget how the difficulty scales up in LR

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 27, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

the entire MH series distilled: beat up monsters, make hats & bigger sticks out of their skin & bones, use said hats & sticks to beat up and wear bigger monsters

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i seem to remember it being pretty easy in mh rise to make cosmetic-only armors so you could wear effective armor and have it look like whatever you want. is that real, or did i make it up?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

you remember right but i coulda swore it was a really limited set of armor, er, sets that you could apply

if it CAN be any armor set then maybe that's the excuse i need to buy Sunbreak, roll a new hunter and dust off the cobwebs. ~Fashion Souls~ :sparkles:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

my first embark was immediately soured by a dwarf getting flattened by a falling tree

10/10 money well spent

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

you remember right but i coulda swore it was a really limited set of armor, er, sets that you could apply

if it CAN be any armor set then maybe that's the excuse i need to buy Sunbreak, roll a new hunter and dust off the cobwebs. ~Fashion Souls~ :sparkles:

in rise at least, you can 100% craft a “layered armour” version of every piece of armour that you can use for fashion souls. I think you don’t unlock it til you hit high rank though.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
against the storm is kinda fun

its a city builder kinda game, but each city is limited, and you don't always have every building each time, so it's not a case of just doing the same each time. anyways

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

armor in mh is what gives you passive skills that become downright essential by endgame. mhw streamlined this process a lot and mhr took that same approach, I'd recommend finding a guide just to know where to look for the info (the tl;dr is every piece has points in various skills and you can unlock skills to varying degrees by wearing gear with those skills). as for fashion yeah you'll unlock layered armor at some point and that's literally just making stuff that visually looks like whatever piece and changes the appearance of your gear but does not affect stats

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

also more defense is better on gear, elemental resists don't really matter until late game though

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I started a new world last night and set a dwarf off to go cut some trees down. he died when a tree fell on him

the world has been burned in memory of my first lost dwarf :rip:

also, is there a way to plant new trees and have a tree farm going? or will wood eventually not be necessary? I’m assuming you need it for bows and arrows/bolts

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i got that free death stranding thing because ive heard of it before. played it for like one and a half hours today and i think 1 hour and 15 minutes of that was cinematic cutscenes. the game itself seems neat enough i guess but it just makes me want to play dwarf fortress again for the first time in 10 years

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i did kinda lol that the first real mission is “are you a bad enough dude to deliver opiates to the president” and it’s just walking a case of morphine across the street

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

but like, im supposed to believe that literally every time anyone ever dies, there’s like a couple hour window you have to clean up before it sets off a nuclear explosion where their body is, and somehow cities still exist to any degree? come on now

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

this is a no troll zone fart simpson

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
in the pre-steam version trees (slowly) grow on their own in places that don't get trampled by dwarves walking over them. there's no way to speed that up or actively plant trees.

stone and metal working tends to replace most (although not all) of the uses for wood if you're being properly dwarfy, you can always buy more wood from traders if you're really in a pinch. wooden stuff is lighter than stone and metal which is good for some things (boxes and bins) and really bad for others (weapons)

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I started a new world last night and set a dwarf off to go cut some trees down. he died when a tree fell on him

the world has been burned in memory of my first lost dwarf :rip:

also, is there a way to plant new trees and have a tree farm going? or will wood eventually not be necessary? I’m assuming you need it for bows and arrows/bolts

If you leave the trees which drop fruit alone for a while new ones will grow but it takes a few years. If you find a cavern the Mushroom trees will start growing on mud. You can't actively manage the process.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

I think you can designate orchards. But it doesn’t matter because before long elves will want to demand how much wood you can cut down

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
bring on the elf genocide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i got an elf trader but they were very offended!!! that i offered god knows what with wood in it, considering all my crafts are rock and I selected them one by one instead of selecting the whole bin