Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just noticed this. I want to find everyone who was :actually: "it's the notification area, not the system tray, it was just called systray.exe in Windows 95" and show them this Win11 window:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
it was always the system tray those people are morons

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i've been setting up a new O365 tenancy this week for a secure environment and holy gently caress microsoft need to calm the gently caress down on adding new features and poo poo. thank gently caress for this blueprint the AU DTA made for configuring a PROTECTED utility: https://desktop.gov.au/blueprint/index.html.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Sagebrush posted:

microsoft why

i like windows 10 a lot but holy gently caress can you get the settings app together

This has reminded me that work enforces the "max performance" power plan on our workstations, so the minimum processor state is 100%

I've emailed IT about it like "maybe this is unnecessary in 2022?", but meanwhile I've been seeing a lot of these fuckin menus when I go to change the plan back to something sane for the 17th time that day

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
my work laptop has that, its a lovely dell with a high pitched fan

it so annoying that I got my long usb and hdmi cables and put it in the closet, it's still the loudest thing in my office while my mac does more work with the fans off

Perplx fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 14, 2022

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I have some noise-cancelling headphones for when I'm WFH in my tiny 'office'

I wonder how much power we're wasting as a business per year because of some stupid bodge that's probably been in place since the pentium 4 era

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

jammyozzy posted:

This has reminded me that work enforces the "max performance" power plan on our workstations, so the minimum processor state is 100%

I've emailed IT about it like "maybe this is unnecessary in 2022?", but meanwhile I've been seeing a lot of these fuckin menus when I go to change the plan back to something sane for the 17th time that day
Haha :wtc:

Why would this be ever necessary, let alone now? I've never had any issues caused by SpeedStep or whatever the tech is nowadays.

jammyozzy posted:

I have some noise-cancelling headphones for when I'm WFH in my tiny 'office'

I wonder how much power we're wasting as a business per year because of some stupid bodge that's probably been in place since the pentium 4 era
Dis you?

https://i.imgur.com/ZCrPfHz.mp4

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

mobby_6kl posted:

Why would this be ever necessary, let alone now? I've never had any issues caused by SpeedStep or whatever the tech is nowadays.

I bet users were complaining that "my PC feels slow" and looking at the power profile and claiming that their CPU was at 0%.

(Of course their PC probably was slow as poo poo, but it was due to bloatware and the fans caked with dust.)

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I use edge and was having problems with Spotify’s web player. so I cleared the browser cache and restarted. this somehow hosed up the bootloader and my uefi no longer recognizes my windows install

thanks microsoft :tipshat:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
which in turn reduced me to using a linux to try to play music. you might find this hard to believe, but I couldn’t do that either because the linux audio didn’t work

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I use spotify in edge and it works totally fine. sounds like user error

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just tried to open a site in Edge because I thought there was an issue with Firefox and it's now pushing coupons at me???

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

I just tried to open a site in Edge because I thought there was an issue with Firefox and it's now pushing coupons at me???

yep. bing garbage. can be turned off of course, but so dumb to have it at all.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

edge is spyware

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Last Chance posted:

edge is spyware

mikkkro$haft loving us again!!

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

edge is just internet explorer 12

think about running IE6 twice, that's edge

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sweevo posted:

edge is just internet explorer 12

think about running IE6 twice, that's edge

only true for the specific case of base 10 counting system. not true in general

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Last Chance posted:

edge is spyware

Everything is spyware these days. You just have to pick which company you want spying on you. Microsoft is essentially benign.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
they're give you COUPONS!!

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I'll take one when they will give a coupon for a better OS than Win11

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Everything is spyware these days. You just have to pick which company you want spying on you. Microsoft is essentially benign.

sucks but true

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

people say that microsoft isn't an evil monopolist any more but just look what they've done to the poor, honest internet explorer toolbar companies. embrace, extend, extinguish.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Clark Nova posted:

people say that microsoft isn't an evil monopolist any more but just look what they've done to the poor, honest internet explorer toolbar companies. embrace, extend, extinguish.

Lol this is a Kelly cartoon for sure

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

"tool bore"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tbh microsoft would annoy me less if they tracked me a hair more, as they sure love advertising me o365 on a computer where i am already signed into three separate fully paid up o365 accounts.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

tbh microsoft would annoy me less if they tracked me a hair more, as they sure love advertising me o365 on a computer where i am already signed into three separate fully paid up o365 accounts.
Maybe they've just identified you as a potential whale?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

mystes posted:

Maybe they've just identified you as a potential whale?
I don’t think they can just remotely turn his monitor off

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

microsoft authenticator really needs some kind of trust that I'm a person with the same name and device enrolled into three separate tenants so I don't have to MFA each one every day

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

jesus WEP posted:

I don’t think they can just remotely turn his monitor off

lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

thanks, IT department!

i have an admin account on my computer and can install anything else i want. why on earth would they block the microsoft store

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Sagebrush posted:

thanks, IT department!

i have an admin account on my computer and can install anything else i want. why on earth would they block the microsoft store

if thats the case you should be able to side-load the hevc package. something like uupdump can automate it but it's not terribly difficult

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

thanks, IT department!

I had to use this sketchy looking site to download the Ubuntu.appx on my work computer .
https://store.rg-adguard.net/

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Perplx posted:

I had to use this sketchy looking site to download the Ubuntu.appx on my work computer .
https://store.rg-adguard.net/

yeah thats the method i was referring to. it works, and the links come from microsoft.com

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

thanks, IT department!

it departments are universally bad

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

~Coxy posted:

microsoft authenticator really needs some kind of trust that I'm a person with the same name and device enrolled into three separate tenants so I don't have to MFA each one every day

if you install all 3 profiles locally it should work (baring tenant policy issues), but you also might want to try setting up separate profiles in edge logged into the different tenants.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Shaggar posted:

(baring tenant policy issues)

i think a lot of heavy lifting is being done right here

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
I've loving had it with windows. I don't need to be loving nagged about my machine not being compliant with Windows 11, I don't want to loving hear about rewards, and I sure don't want to hear what you think recommended browser settings are every loving time I open my settings

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

wow you don’t want bing bux? loving rude

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Sagebrush posted:

thanks, IT department!

your it department is doing you a solid - I wish every windows install had windows store blocked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Last Chance posted:

wow you don’t want bing bux? loving rude

i tried to redeem some so i could get some lazy food and it didnt work. gently caress bing lol