Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
it's not literally worthless and it is possible to cash out, assuming you pick an exchange that doesn't suddenly go bankrupt or shut down withdrawals
i recommend ftx or binance as they're the biggest two and thus the most stabl-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it's not literally worthless and it is possible to cash out, assuming you pick an exchange that doesn't suddenly go bankrupt or shut down withdrawals
i recommend ftx or binance as they're the biggest two and thus the most stabl-

yes, there was increasingly hilarious advice from a few people that read like a textbook 419 scam because the only way to convert USDT to USD is by putting a whole bunch more money in so that you can transfer and convert it to something people buy for actual dollars, and of course you have to navigate the minefield of bad actors and untrustworthy exchanges perfectly or you lose it all, and also your identity and ability to use american banks

keep in mind that in order to transfer USDT into an exchange, you have to pay a fee, which cannot be paid in USDT, and thus begins the descent into madness

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 28, 2022

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
look the bitcoin ecosystem is incredibly shady and dodgy, so it's fine, give that random site your sin and a photo of your passport, this is normal in bitcoinland

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
people wrote multiple posts explaining all the ways they could do this and every single one started with "buy more crypto coins"

keeping in mind that the endgame of all the fees and trades is to withdraw the balance in actual american dollars through some kind of financial institution, which is frequently not possible either because the exchange will simply request increasingly onerous PII before processing the withdrawal, or because you bank of choice rightly flags all your accounts for interacting with a crypto exchange

so the easiest and most effective way to convert USDT to cash is a direct sale in an arby's parking lot where maybe you won't get stabbed or handed a sack full of counterfeit bills

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 28, 2022

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
it is quite simple, ethereum is a computer, and you have to pay eth to use the ethereum computer

when you get usdt, someone pays eth to move numbers inside the usdt smart contract data storage, inside the ethereum computer, from their number to your number

if you want to move those numbers that are now your numbers to someone else's number, you have to pay eth to use the ethereum computer

but you don't have eth, you have a number in the usdt smart contract's data storage

so you need to get eth

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1607771123974049792

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

given that chatgpt's output is large blocks of code lifted out of github and maybe stack overflow without any real understanding, it's difficult to say how this would be different from anyone else who has written a smart contract

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i still love how the bitcoinwiki example of a smart contract had it check a now defunct google news service for a specific headline, perfectly illustrating the uselessness of smart contracts

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

oh lol it's still there, idk why, but I assumed they'd have updated it

also references the price from MtGox:allears:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

why would they need to update it? it's in the wiki

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

just remember: they want smart contracts to be used for things like wills, you make it then years later it does a thing with no possible human interference. better hope you chose to monitor the right death list, otherwise your children get nothing

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

god imagine if all the code i wrote had to return long bullshit impenetrable hash strings and if i hosed it up i'd lose all my money

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

also there's a whole industry built around viruses that specifically hunt out that one long bullshit impenetrable hash string and turn it in to a slightly different one

Chill Monster
Apr 23, 2014
Money of the future

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Chill Monster posted:

Money of the future

Satoshi was the only one who could truly see how dumb the future would be.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Boxturret posted:

oh lol it's still there, idk why, but I assumed they'd have updated it

also references the price from MtGox:allears:

three examples, two of which don't work and the third is just handwaved

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

don't you know the super basic command eurovision_winner()? it's in all good programing languages

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Boxturret posted:

don't you know the super basic command eurovision_winner()? it's in all good programing languages

Abject-oriented programming

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Shame Boy posted:

god imagine if all the code i wrote had to return long bullshit impenetrable hash strings and if i hosed it up i'd lose all my money

it's also a good thing we built all world currency on DES and made it nightmarishly hard to change, as it's impossible for any computer to ever break a 56 bit key due to the fact that good cryptography schemes are forever perfectly secure

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Boxturret posted:

he didn't steal my money so i don't really see the issue

i am with the fine people of bahamas. it was good that sbf did what he did, and he is on top of that being very funny about it. ultimately it would of course be *much* better if no one ever got scammed in general and crypto wasn't a thing, but given the situation already existing sbf loving everyone over in an extremely high-profile way is at minimum just as well.

i am applying some restraint not going "lol get hosed" about literally everyone with money at ftx because i know we will soon have much wringing of hands about some old grandma who immediately starved to death because of a superbowl ad or some such (with a laser focus implying we have a perfectly fine system here only sbf and friends went and corrupted it).

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Blade Runner posted:

it's also a good thing we built all world currency on DES and made it nightmarishly hard to change, as it's impossible for any computer to ever break a 56 bit key due to the fact that good cryptography schemes are forever perfectly secure

blame the NSA for that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

chatgpt write a smart contract that accidentally funnels everyone's coins directly to me

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Zopotantor posted:

blame the NSA for that.

true, if they’d left it with 64-bit keys it would still be secure today, probably

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Endless Mike posted:

chatgpt write a smart contract that accidentally funnels everyone's coins directly to me

ChatGPT gains sentience and steals everyone’s buttcoins

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

it will be like that time someone did an art exhibit that was a bunch of illegal stuff bough off the dark web, but they made an ai do it so it's not their fault

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

quote:

Bitcoin sucks? (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 29 minutes ago by 88xeeetard

I'm in El Salvador and wanted to embrace Bitcoin as it's legal tender here, at least on paper. Here's my gripes so far:
  • It costs money for everything! Want to buy it? There's a fee. Want to use it? There's a fee. Cash it out? You better believe there's a fee.This is a massive disadvantage to using USD as once you have USD, there's no fees to use it.
  • It's slow AF. Even when using the lightning network. When I paid for my groceries yesterday, it took so much longer than using my visa card or cash. The checkout lady basically gave me death stares, I held up the line and the transaction took ages. Then she had to put in some code. Which she got from a book. Did I mention it took ages. Oh and it cost me an extra dollar for the privilege.
  • it's volitile. Locals may accept it but they go and cash it out ASAP. They don't want Bitcoin, they want USD. Most live day to day so they're not looking for investments.
Going forward I won't be using it at all. The only possible use case would be if I was to buy a car or something and it might without cheaper and faster than an international wire, but day to day no way.
I'm aware that contrary opinions aren't necessarily welcome on a Bitcoin subreddit but I'm interested in what you guys have to say given the obvious drawbacks I've experienced.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

it's not a currency it's an investment store of value automation protocol

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

infernal machines posted:

people wrote multiple posts explaining all the ways they could do this and every single one started with "buy more crypto coins"

it really is the first step, which is what makes it funny

1. buy more shitcoins (and pay fees, and set up an account, go through the KYC/AML hoops, etc)
2. xfer shitcoins to your wallet with usdt (and pay fees)
3. use the shitcoins to pay fees to transfer your usdt to an exchange
4. convert shitcoins and usdt into money (and pay fees)
5. withdraw money (and pay fees and taxes and ...)

and of course, at every step of this, there are a billion rakes and land mines waiting for you to step on them

Boxturret posted:

also there's a whole industry built around viruses that specifically hunt out that one long bullshit impenetrable hash string and turn it in to a slightly different one

remembering the stackoverflow post that was like "every time i copy [long string of gibberish] the clipboard corrupts it to [other long string of gibberish]" until someone realized the new garbage was actually a shitcoin wallet address

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

of course it's a real thing

I'm the price with ellipses in it so you can't easily tell exactly what fraction of a dollar it is

haven't these guys ever heard of scientific notation?!?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

$2.416x10^-10

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Boxturret posted:

$2.416x10^-10

don't dox Elon's kid

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
one mole of bulldogcoin please

sure, that’ll be 0.01 bitcoins

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

can you believe that using bitcoin was only the second stupid thing in this story?

the first was going to el salvador without having any idea where he was really going

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

whoa, what just happened?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

EricBauman posted:

can you believe that using bitcoin was only the second stupid thing in this story?

the first was going to el salvador without having any idea where he was really going

On my original read I for some reason assumed he was a local there who decided to try the bits but this is much funnier

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I wonder how many exchanges out there implemented their math badly enough that you could exploit floating point rounding errors...

E: though the fees to do everything probably make that unprofitable

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/MetaLawMan/status/1608102993857024000

:munch:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lol sure why not it'll at least make for a funny order unless the judge is a joyless rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

PittTheElder posted:

I wonder how many exchanges out there implemented their math badly enough that you could exploit floating point rounding errors...

E: though the fees to do everything probably make that unprofitable

i'm pretty sure at least one in the past would let you enter negative numbers for how much of something you wanted to buy, and would add money to your account, or something like that

this is the level of competence you're looking at; if you're concocting some complex scheme that relies on rounding errors, or, i dunno, the non-associativity of floating point operations compared to their pure mathematical counterparts, then you're clearly digging way too deep