Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

The third or fourth movie absolutely needs to be a Muppets Caper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

the holy poopacy posted:

re: manipulating attention, my wife wanted to go back and watch the party scene to see how much of the actual plot actually happened on camera:

1. The glass handoff was in plain sight, as the movie points out.
2. The hug is shot too high up to see Miles lift the gun...
3. ...But after he pulls away he tucks something into the back of his waistband. As he walks over to the bar there is visible something hidden in the back of his shirt.
4. The bar is staged to obscure Miles fixing the drink, but there's actually a blink-or-you'll-miss-it glimpse of the gun as he sets it down. But even if you don't see the flash of black metal in his hand there's a loud clunk and it's obvious he's setting something down even though he just walked up to the bar empty-handed... which immediately blurs into several more clunks as he fixes the drink.
5. When Peg says they should locate and silence Duke's phone, Miles recoils from her and there's a glimpse of a phone in his back pocket. He is, of course, not actually physically afraid of Peg--he just needs a chance to silence and hide the phone.
It's also really obvious in retrospect that Miles takes Duke's phone. He sits down on the couch with the phone conspicuously in front of him and no one else near. The camera then cuts away to the other characters, and when Blanc asks about the phone, it cuts back to Miles and the phone is now gone. With everything else going on in the scene, though, we the audience don't focus on the phone until Blanc calls attention to it, at which point it's already been taken.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It reminds me of the turn of phrase Benoit uses regarding Duke's Gun. "He always had it on him, so we stopped seeing it." Hence why Miles was able to take it with no one noticing. Everyone had kind of forgotten that it was there in the first place.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Johnson, I think, is keenly aware that filmmaking is a magic trick, an illusion where misdirection is vital to creating impact. It's not just something as juvenile as "subverting expectations" as people like to say derisively, but a whole ethos you can see going back to the main credo of Brothers Bloom (which I really need to rewatch): "If you give the mark something they value more than their money, they won't even care that they got conned." It goes deeper than that with Johnson's clear love of pastiche and playing with genre, but that's how I'd summarize it, anyway.

What I'm basically saying here is that even though it's, in retrospect, extremely obvious who the culprit is in both Knives Out and Glass Onion, Johnson is really adept at the art of the distraction from that obvious answer. At least, it works for me, because I'm extremely gullible.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The death of ----Duke----- made me think that this was going to be a Ten Little Indians/And Then There Were None movie, as the first victim in that book dies the same way, but from cyanide.

Once 10:00pm rolls around and the lights go out, I thought we might see some Clue references. And we kind of did, as the Singing Telegram who was shot in that movie was played by a famous lady singer.

Just some fun parallels.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
One wonders how far out we are from another Clue movie. 2 years, tops?

Who plays the butler? Billy Eichner?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

precision posted:

What an awful step down that would be.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I’m case you ever thought the portrayal was cartoonish

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Nah. Miles seemed way to fake hippyish to be that weird about pronouns.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

precision posted:

One wonders how far out we are from another Clue movie. 2 years, tops?

I tried watching bros and I dunno if eichner was doing too deep a cut on being a self absorbed idiot but his character was so frustrating to watch

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I’m case you ever thought the portrayal was cartoonish

Rian Johnson already said that it’s not based on Elon

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Sure sure but in case you thought the portrayal of rich billionaires in general was cartoonish

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Fun movie. I liked Blanc better in this one, but preferred the mystery in knives out more. The locations and sets were great too.

I do think this could have been trimmed down to 2 hours though as the beginning sometimes dragged. For example, I didn’t really need to know that Blanc was unhappy during Covid or that Duke respected his mother.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Blanc being intellectually unstimulated is a good setup for how he approaches the mystery particularly his dissatisfaction with the ultimate answer

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think Blanc being intellectually unstimulated is a good setup for how he approaches the mystery particularly his dissatisfaction with the ultimate answer

It faked me out as to why he was so impatient to blow up the murder mystery bit

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Have the third movie be an Asian woman coming to Benoit for help

But everyone will be expecting that, so make it turn out that she was a villain and a model minority who upholds white supremacy

Let her sister, who holds solidarity with working class minorities, get justice in the end

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i hope it’s on a boat or in a cult commune

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

We've done "rich family with secrets" and "colorful characters on an exotic vacation", if we want to stick with common Christie plots we still have "closed circle mystery on a mode of transportation" and "spy story".

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
The third Knives Out movie takes Blanc into space where he can solve the greatest mystery of all.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Maybe the 3rd movie won’t have such an obvious twist and mystery

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I too am very clever

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Murder on the cancelled Southwest flight

Benoit uncovers who killed the Texas bullet train proposal

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

checkplease posted:

Fun movie. I liked Blanc better in this one, but preferred the mystery in knives out more. The locations and sets were great too.

I do think this could have been trimmed down to 2 hours though as the beginning sometimes dragged. For example, I didn’t really need to know that Blanc was unhappy during Covid or that Duke respected his mother.

The bathtub scene did have a couple neat bits of foreshadowing; one, he's casually hobnobbing with the rich and famous from his bathtub, no poo poo that pretending to be overawed by Miles's nouveau riche bullshit was just "Southern hokum." Two, he is befuddled that the game ends just because someone exposed his crimes--he knows that proving the truth and actually doing anything about it are two very different things, as seen in the finale. It's not strictly necessary, but it's not as out of left field as it seemed at first.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Cemetry Gator posted:

The third Knives Out movie takes Blanc into space where he can solve the greatest mystery of all.

If you nut in space does it push you backwards?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The bathtub scene establishes he's going crazy with boredom in the pandemic, that he has trouble with 'simple' mysteries and games, foreshadows the idea of an imposter, and establishes the way that real and respectable celebrities with talent behave like fairly regular people with concern for friends as compared to self-aggrandising assholes like Bron. It also provides a point in time that the flashback can anchor itself to.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Sondheim being in there is definitely a shoutout to Last of Sheila.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Sondheim was also a fan of mysteries and puzzles and puzzle games and so on.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
And Blanc's a fan in-universe, as established by his music selection in the first film

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

the holy poopacy posted:

The bathtub scene did have a couple neat bits of foreshadowing; one, he's casually hobnobbing with the rich and famous from his bathtub, no poo poo that pretending to be overawed by Miles's nouveau riche bullshit was just "Southern hokum." Two, he is befuddled that the game ends just because someone exposed his crimes--he knows that proving the truth and actually doing anything about it are two very different things, as seen in the finale. It's not strictly necessary, but it's not as out of left field as it seemed at first.

I like your point about truth and action/consequences, but I think that’s also known to many of us just through the everyday news of the rich and their crimes. Still, Blanc being bad at among us is funny.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Annabel Pee posted:

Daniel Craig - Stylish and fitting mask, Leslie Odom Jr - Someone said was a n95 mask as a scientist?, Like you said Kate Hudson's character clearly and idiot and wearing a stylish mask for show, the assistant having an ugly beige one that matches her costume etc. etc.

Lionel is wearing a flatfold KN95, which was almost impossible to buy in May 2020, reflecting both his scientific knowledge and his wealth. However, his long beard breaks the seal of the mask, so this scientist is actually much less safe than he appears to be.

Another detail I liked is that Whiskey at first is portrayed as stereotypical "arm candy", but it turns out she's a smart and ambitious woman. Another character whose intelligence is different from the first impression.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
My pitch for the next one is to have the "second to last Gentleman Detective". The one who retired before Blanc, maybe even his mentor, played by someone like Tom Hanks who's equally charming in a different way. You think they're gonna be rivals and at odds, or even that the other detective will be a suspect (jealousy, to stump Blanc and get back in the limelight) and the story somewhat supports it... they keep coming to different conclusions about the same clues.

Then the twist is they're both right and someone's purposely designed this mystery to have two outcomes based on which angles (literally and figuratively) you're seeing the evidence from... And they never even once have an actual issue with one another or even suspect one another because they can't easily be manipulated like that, but they both have separately come to the conclusion that the best way to force an error is to seem at odds.

Set it in the unveiling of the last building of a famous architect who was essentially a hermit and thought to be going senile/was ultra paranoid, so the building doesn't really make much sense (except from a structural soundness point of view).

This idea probably isn't all that great but when I started thinking about what I'd do for Knives Out 3 I started thinking about the trilogy that I'd like this to remind me of most... Indiana Jones. The first one is amazing, and stands alone as its own separate story with an incredible iconic character. The second one I don't personally like the plot beats as much, and it feels quite different settingwise, but still stands up on the basis of the characters and story.

And so I'd love for Knives Out 3 to follow the same path that trilogy did... where the third is one that is a fun remix of some ideas from the first, but builds on it by introducing a new character that has a history with our lead that isn't romantic but adds depth and fun to the point where I like it as much as the first.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

checkplease posted:

I like your point about truth and action/consequences, but I think that’s also known to many of us just through the everyday news of the rich and their crimes. Still, Blanc being bad at among us is funny.

It’s also hinting at the ending. ”So In get caught and thats it the game is just over?” Usually yes, but not in Glass Onion. Blanc ends up knowing his work is done and leaves it up to Helen to figure out how to win after catching the killer isn’t enough.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I liked it fine enough but it seemed a little too light and frothy even compared to KNIVES OUT. Duke in his mother's basement is such a hacky gag that I felt like we were going to be in trouble from the start and that's generally the level of insight Johnson has towards these people. One thing I think he lacks when put up against his close influences like THE LAST OF SHEILA/EVIL UNDER THE SUN/DEATH ON THE NILE is that there's a certain viciousness to the satire there that he can't do so most of his jokes end up being the 'Aw he's so dumb and harmless' type gags.

The cast isn't the only thing Johnson wasted though because how do you manage to shoot in Greece and seemingly not make any use of it at all.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the answer to that is covid restrictions

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think for a sequel, I do want to see another type of relationship between Blanc and the lead. I liked in this movie how Blanc had a mentor relationship with Helen as opposed to Knives Out where he's actually working somewhat in opposition with Marta. I feel like Blanc is never going to be as interesting as he was in Knives Out because you really don't know how good a person he is until the reveal. The "Good nurse" line really gets me.

But anyway, I would enjoy a sequel where the hero is in genuine opposition with Blanc.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cemetry Gator posted:

He meets up with Dom Toretto in orbit and they track down the ones responsible for Han's murder. The answer will surprise you.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The death of ----Duke----- made me think that this was going to be a Ten Little Indians/And Then There Were None movie, as the first victim in that book dies the same way, but from cyanide.

Once 10:00pm rolls around and the lights go out, I thought we might see some Clue references. And we kind of did, as the Singing Telegram who was shot in that movie was played by a famous lady singer.

Just some fun parallels.
Yeah that's what I though it was going for as well. Similar setup with the island and everything.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

But anyway, I would enjoy a sequel where the hero is in genuine opposition with Blanc.

Blanc vs Miss Marple.

Johnson’s done a dead rich guy in a mansion mystery and a private island mystery. Next sub-genre is the quaint country village that’s actually a wretched hive of scum and villainy mystery.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I tried watching bros and I dunno if eichner was doing too deep a cut on being a self absorbed idiot but his character was so frustrating to watch

oh, i forgot that came out, i gotta at least give it a shot. i'm not even an huge fan of Billy on the Street but he was so good in Difficult People and on AHS

deffo a step down from Curry but, like, who wouldn't be a step down from the guy who gave one of the actual ten best performances of all time in Frank-N-Furter?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Blanc vs Miss Marple.

Definitely think he should take on another famous detective in the next one. And have Eva Green play her with the goofiest possible French accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Eva Green would be a great rival detective. Exact reverse energy of BB, or they could have her do a "French Hokum" as well.