Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

born on a buy you posted:

the sick burn of making me a white knight is brutal
lmfao i didn't even think of that :xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
non legendary too. :santahurr:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

holy poo poo, false negative blew up my life with weapons-level holiday cheer. i wasn't able to take pictures of everything, but check out the awesome decorations on the boxes! there's:

* a bunch of great stuff to eat - adorable hot chocolate reindeer kits, spicy honey (holy cow it's really good),and a nice mustardy dipping sauce called "awesome sauce" that lives up to its name. we didn't get a chance to have the hot chocolate tonight, but will definitely do it tomorrow!

* a crystal-growing kit to do with Little Jones

* some fancy soap. it is cedar and rosemary goat's milk soap and smells amazing. it isn't clear if there is an intended recipient, so ms jones and i will rassle for it

* a NESDR Smart v5. This is a very solid software defined radio dongle that I am very happy to have. it came with a huge array of adapters and jumpers, a magnetic antenna base, three antennas, and the most adorable little balun you've ever seen

so that's a super solid and very thoughtful pile of gifts! but then there's ALSO a Ham It Up upconverter. this thing basically adds 125mhz to incoming signals and delivers superior performance below 30mhz compared to dongles' built-in direct sampling capabilities. and while i do love the wild world of VHF and UHF, signals below 30mhz are my favorites. this set is a complete setup for a rad SDR station and I am _freaking stoked_ to play with it! i've poked at it a little with OpenWebRX and it's great so far!

Thank you False Negative! You've made the Jones family's yosmas dreams come true ❤️

this dog was not included in the package, but he wanted to be part of the festivities:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Achmed Jones posted:

this dog was not included in the package, but he wanted to be part of the festivities:

What if the dog wanted the soap? Or the SDR? Or both? :colbert:

Also, SDR sounds cool, I hope you do cool enough stuff to make a thread!

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

my gift is gonna suck rear end if what people've posted here is anything to go off lmao

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

just santa

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

hbag posted:

my gift is gonna suck rear end if what people've posted here is anything to go off lmao

it'll almost certainly be better than a dreamcast full of mealworms

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

(hurriedly kicking box under bed) haha yeah

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

Achmed Jones posted:

holy poo poo, false negative blew up my life with weapons-level holiday cheer. i wasn't able to take pictures of everything, but check out the awesome decorations on the boxes! there's:

I'm glad you enjoyed the boxes; I had way too much fun with them! I'm tickled that radio will work well for you, it was a bit of a gamble as I wasn't quite sure what bands you'd want to tinker on. I'd also be interested in seeing whatever you wind up doing with it!

Merry YosMas :)

PS. Thanks again Fuzzy Mammal for setting this up. This was my first year and I had a really good time hunting around for things, I'll be back next year!

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

sb hermit posted:

From my mysterious Santa, I have received the following bounty:

A kickass floppy disk notebook!

Funny enough, I use a superdisk for actual backups of critical note repositories that I manage with mercurial, but I unfortunately do not have any actual floppies at home.

Superdisks are nice because you can actually eject them! Modern usb sticks buffer their writes so I never feel like it's safe to unplug them until a minute after my computer says it's ok or until the disk activity LEDs stop blinking.

At least with a notebook, the only buffer is between the mind and the pen.

Meditations, by Marcus Aurelius. At 170 pages, this feels like a paperback that I can quickly skim over a few hours to get the gist of it, and then keep referencing the cool parts of it for the rest of my life or until I gift it to an intern or something when I'm on my deathbed (likely a cot next to my posting station). From what I've read of it so far, each paragraph could be a prompt that could inspire a journal entry in the floppy disk book. The latest sentence that struck me was "Care for other human beings. Follow God." Timeless.

The Soul of a New Machine, by Tracy Kidder. It's really amazing to think about how much good poo poo was written so long ago. The seminal work of true software engineering, The Mythical Man Month by Fred Brooks, was written in 1975. But whereas the latter contains advice, it feels like the former will probably contain the stories that fuel that kind of advice.

This is all gold. Complete gold. Books like these are the only things that keep me sane. Books and anime.

Thank you, Santa! Please feel free to unmask yourself if you like.

I’m glad you liked your gift. I also included incredibly cliche sticker packs for the YOSTOP. I’ll also check out the mythical man month. Also check out obsidian for mental maps it used .md files and organizes notes very well.

Modulo16 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 29, 2022

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Glad you liked it boaby!!

born on a buy you posted:

the sick burn of making me a white knight is brutal

this was not intentional lol.

Kuvo posted:

cool Crimson picture

Shoutout to my boy https://www.irrezolut.com/

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I am really thankful hbag is not my santa

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

nvrgrls posted:

I am really thankful hbag is not my santa

rude

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null
Today I got my YosMas gift from Sniep!

Before I could do anything else we had to put the box through customs:

Once we were cleared with a "confirmed as box" I was allowed to proceed:

First off a light! We also suffer power outages on a regular basis and there's no such thing as "too many lights". We resort to candles a lot and this is a much safer alternative for the bedroom (especially with the cats!).

What's this about running a car company? Sniep has placed a great responsibility on me. I appreciate their faith! What's in the box?

It's a boardgame! This looks wildly complicated at first glance, and it weighs a TON. I'm a huge Factorio / logistics game nerd and I've never had the chance to really try one of these games in real table-top format. I'm excited to get this thing going!

Titan seems very interested in all the little pieces this game has! I'm sure he'll be a great help in getting things to run smoothly.

Lastly the cats LOVE their gift although it's already starting to cause conflict!

I appreciate the gift card as well! I'm sure it will be of use :)

Thank you very much Sniep! Merry YOSMAS!

FalseNegative fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 29, 2022

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

shipping my gift tomorrow! I hope they like it :ohdear:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Modulo16 posted:

I’m glad you liked your gift. I also included incredibly cliche sticker packs for the YOSTOP. I’ll also check out the mythical man month. Also check out obsidian for mental maps it used .md files and organizes notes very well.

Ooh. Thank you!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FalseNegative posted:

Thank you very much Midjack! Merry YOSMAS!

that wasn't me, i was just elfing for your santa. i'm glad i could help connect you, though!

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
hbag I just got you some records. not every give needs to be cool and yospos themed. it can just be cool stuff they’d want

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

Midjack posted:

that wasn't me, i was just elfing for your santa. i'm glad i could help connect you, though!

They didn't put their forum handle on any materials that I could find. Thank you mystery person!

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
the important part of gift giving is the intent and care. we'll send sick af gifts when we graduate and make yospos money hbaggers

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

FalseNegative posted:

They didn't put their forum handle on any materials that I could find. Thank you mystery person!

Return address on the box prolly the only spot yeah lol. :) I'm glad you like it, that game looks insane.

Sniep fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 29, 2022

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

lord fifth posted:

the important part of gift giving is the intent and care. we'll send sick af gifts when we graduate and make yospos money hbaggers

true. i got like £150 which really isnt a lot to be spending on International Gifts

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

Sniep posted:

Return address on the box prolly the only spot yeah lol. :) I'm glad you like it, that game looks insane.

Ah, thanks :) Edited my post!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

FalseNegative posted:

Edited my post!

hahhahaa thank you.

Anyway I also got some things, and no clue as to the santa!! Two packages, specifically.

One contained this!

First, A tin of home made chocolate chip and raisin cookies! Yum!

Then three vials of booze! I wasn't able to get the QR codes to scan, but I already know what's up with Japanese whiskey so here we go!

* Suntory Kurayoshi 18
* Suntory Yamazaki 12
* Oban 14

I LOVE the Yamazaki 12 already (have a bottle stashed away!) I mostly just sip the Hibiki blended when I'm doing JP whiskey! The Kurayoshi 18 is new to me! I will be sipping the Oban tonight, thank you!

And then from this package, finally a R2 tamagochi! I actually never had a tamagochi growing up, so this will be a new thing for me!

But wait there was another package, also unidentified sender and this one honestly I wasnt sure if was a secret santa gift or not becuase i also am into lock picking, and have ordered from CI before! haha

A pick set and a easily re-pinnable practice lock, including security pins! While I have plenty of picks (thank you regardless,) the practice lock is COOL! I did not have one of these yet, so now I can practice my LPL imitations even better! Thanks!

Sniep fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 30, 2022

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
ANTS

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
box arrived!

contents of box. there were plastic ants everywhere

card first, which contained a sticker of aki from chainsaw man

ominous

the ants. going to leave them around the house to piss off roommates

the padded brown bag contained a SiliconGraphics tulip glass which will be used to sample only the finest belgian beers

red bag contained assorted chocolate nuts and a pochita t-shirt (go watch chainsaw man it is very good)

big box contains a hello kitty char zaku custom! defiantly getting a front row seat in my display case once assembled

long box was mechanical keyboard keycaps...

ahegao face keycaps...

these are probably the safest ones to post

smaller box contained a usb-c connectable numpad keyboard w/ large nob and lcd display (also adorned with ahegao face caps). will plug it into a pc in a bit

thank you santa! i only hate some of the gifts!

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

lol those keycaps are horrible

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Kuvo posted:

thank you santa! i only hate some of the gifts!

I forgot to identify myself, but I’m your Santa baby. I wanted to add something to put in the glass but I got super sick with the flu that’s going around and more than ran out of time. The nuts are local, hopefully you’re not allergic. I forgot to include info about the pad, but it’s a murphpad from mechwild. The switches are durock lilacs lubed with 205g0 and the springs with 105. Stabs were clipped and greased. Poor soldering job done by yours truly.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ADINSX posted:

lol those keycaps are horrible

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Someone was a very good Santa and sent me a box

So I opened it with a tiny knife

And inside were some very nice yosmas gifts and a note from sb hermit (on bird stationary)

A very colorful deskmat to replace my lame black pad

Elite gamer coasters to protect my new mat

The best socks man has ever made

And one sustainably made bandana reminding me not to play with fire

Mitten approved

Thank you very much sb hermit. You made our yosmas.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Canna Happy posted:

Thank you very much sb hermit. You made our yosmas.

:woop:

I'm glad that you like the mat. Pixel art is very yospos.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
good stuff folks! reminder if you aren't able to ship by tomorrow hopefully there's a good reason and you should reach out to me to let me know you're still working on it tia.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

the o-face keycaps are an all-time yosmas great

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
a good start when it comes to retribution for the horrors of anime nite

also each year i consider joining yosmas, but then gifts like this remind me i could never hope to achieve this level of... whatever this is, and i give up before signing up. and i don't even know what i like so i'd pity anyone who'd end up having to get something for me

that said that silicon graphics glass owns

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yosmas is fun as long as you try. as long as you try, whoever youre sending gifts to will appreciate it

join in next year

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

a good start when it comes to retribution for the horrors of anime nite

also each year i consider joining yosmas, but then gifts like this remind me i could never hope to achieve this level of... whatever this is, and i give up before signing up. and i don't even know what i like so i'd pity anyone who'd end up having to get something for me

that said that silicon graphics glass owns

just do it. read what your recipient is interested in and then just go wild. stalk their post history or ask an elf if you feel like you're lost. but you'll be fine.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Canna Happy posted:

I forgot to identify myself, but I’m your Santa baby. I wanted to add something to put in the glass but I got super sick with the flu that’s going around and more than ran out of time. The nuts are local, hopefully you’re not allergic. I forgot to include info about the pad, but it’s a murphpad from mechwild. The switches are durock lilacs lubed with 205g0 and the springs with 105. Stabs were clipped and greased. Poor soldering job done by yours truly.

thanks for the gifts! i had some of the chocolate nuts yesterday and they were tasty

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

lol at the keycaps

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

please join! it's no requirement to come up with the wackiest funy-est gift. more gifts more fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

my gift has been sent. wahoo