Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Volmarias posted:

As a youth trying to play half-life mods on my PC, whose graphics card was like the size of a large postage stamp, I put ice in a cup inside the tower and pointed a fan at it. This was the peak of thermal cooling when your toolkit was Whatever's Laying Around, gently caress, What Can I Even Use Here.

The russians used winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wild EEPROM posted:

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

sick

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Wild EEPROM posted:

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

looks even better in the reply window

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

polyester concept posted:

one time the northbridge heatsink on my mobo just completely fell off by itself while i was gaming and i had to call around every computer store in the city to see if they had ~arctic alumina~ which was like arctic silver, except also an adhesive, because there was nothing else physically holding the heatsink in place

northbridge fans lol

I remember replacing one with a passive heatsink but then there was no clearance for the graphics card so I had to cut a load of the fins off and hope that the air being drawn through the GPU would pull some over the sink

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I saw a test in some pc magazine where all of the thermal compounds were within like 5% of each other's performance. They did one test with mayonnaise and it was only about 25% worse than the best thermal compound.

It's all snake oil. Put on whatever, just apply it correctly.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

peltier cpu coolers

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

northbridge fans lol

I remember replacing one with a passive heatsink but then there was no clearance for the graphics card so I had to cut a load of the fins off and hope that the air being drawn through the GPU would pull some over the sink
I stupidly did my last computer upgrade in the time when northbridge fans were coming back, so I have a slightly older mb that doesn't support the newer ryzens, but also doesn't have a horrible tiny fan. hopefully it will last as long as my 2500k did and i won't have to worry about it

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

wtf kind of ryzen do you have with no onboard memory controller?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

BTX

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sounds like the worst kpop band

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

The Leck posted:

I stupidly did my last computer upgrade in the time when northbridge fans were coming back, so I have a slightly older mb that doesn't support the newer ryzens, but also doesn't have a horrible tiny fan. hopefully it will last as long as my 2500k did and i won't have to worry about it

it hasnt failed me yet, but i was annoyed to learn that my x570 board had a lil fan and the downmarket b550 boards dont lol

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
the fan noise on my pc was annoying the hell out of me. I took it apart to clean it. it was actually pretty clean, the thermal paste was just gone from between the cpu die and cooler.

I guess modern cpu can be pretty hard on thermal paste due to how fast and frequently they can cycle between hot and cold.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

repost

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

tbf this looks exactly like a "I did this and immediately realised and thought what an idiot, then took a picture to post"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
same energy as all my selfies then

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

this poo poo

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

and of course someone cloned it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yessss

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

skipping back a bit, but:

DamnGlitch posted:

ClarisWorks, then AppleWorks
i built a database for magic cards in clarisworks when i was in 8th grade, and now ~20% of my professional duties are filemaker dev and maintenance. pretty good return on investment for ‘came free with our performa’

also, intentionally hamstrung processors in performas

also also, apple’s attempt at a walled garden internet, was it just called GlobalVillage or am I misremembering the modem name as also being the service?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

corel office

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

nurrwick posted:

also also, apple’s attempt at a walled garden internet, was it just called GlobalVillage or am I misremembering the modem name as also being the service?
eworld

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

nurrwick posted:

the modem was global village, the service was eWorld and apple licensed AOL’s tech stack to operate it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sagebrush posted:

i wish arduinos had a sine wave generator though. or hell an entire fm synthesis module. some of the kids really get fascinated by the idea of making music and it's kind of a bummer that they can only do square waves and a single channel

are there any cheap microcontroller boards built for music? gotta be

is Arduino still 5V-compatible? if so you could hang an AY-3-8910 or equivalent (like an AY-3-8913) off the parallel I/O and use that plus a tiny bit of analog for audio output—and it’ll also demo how to interface with parallel hardware

eschaton fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 29, 2022

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

wma

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
icy hot stuntaz (so pervasive in 00s that i'm deeming it tech adjacent)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
force feedback joysticks

it was totally awesome playing games like independence war and feeling the stick pulse when firing weapons or kick around when the ship started getting beat up, or mechwarrior 3 and feeling the stick rock back and forth with the mech's footsteps. not a whole lot of games put in force feedback stuff, and nobody would ever bother with that poo poo now, but i'm glad there was a time when it was cool

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
related: that one ps/ps2 game where the guy on screen told you to put the controller on the floor and then he MOVED IT WITH HIS MIND

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

people don't do force feedback anymore because there's a troll in san jose squatting on all the patents.

most of them should be expiring pretty soon, though, so here's hoping

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

don't most high end steering wheels do force feedback?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

remember having to deal with IRQ conflicts?

That sucked.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

people don't do force feedback anymore because there's a troll in san jose squatting on all the patents.

sony dropped it from the early ps3 controllers because of these dipshits lol

surprisingly, my old sixaxis from my ps3 bought in 2007 still works. the battery in that thing is 15+ years old and still works just fine

CainFortea posted:

That sucked.

i never had a problem with this (sound card on irq 7 forever)

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 30, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

related: that one ps/ps2 game where the guy on screen told you to put the controller on the floor and then he MOVED IT WITH HIS MIND

metal gear solid, psycho mantis. my all time favorite video game.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yep yep

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

nudgenudgetilt posted:

don't most high end steering wheels do force feedback?

even the low and medium end ones do

wheels are just gigantic controller thumb sticks without force feedback

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
force feedback is table stakes for wheels, yeah.

i'm guessing that licensing fees from fanatec et. al. for wheels are orders of magnitude more than what the patent troll gets from shaking down anyone who wants to build a force feedback stick.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

loving patent trolls

scum of the loving earth

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

CainFortea posted:

That sucked.

I had all these custom autoexec.bat and config.sys set up for different games, and a bunch of other .bat scripts to change it back to dad's work setup after I finished gaming.

DOS with mouse and SoundBlaster was a chore. looking at YOU, Wing Commander :argh:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

FMguru posted:

several decades later i can report to you with full assurance that printers continue to suck rear end to use and maintain

most companies dont even bother - they lease their printers from a dedicated printer service that delivers them, sets them up, arranges shipments of supplies, and will dispatch a tech to fix it when it breaks

i would imagine working as a full-time dispatch printer tech must be the ninth circle of it support job hell

From several pages back, but when I worked as a teacher our district had a support contract for three full time service techs who would just go to different schools every day fixing the printers. Airplane gremlins are of course superstitious nonsense, but printer gremlins are 100% real. It’s the only way to explain why, even when paper and staple cartridges had been loaded into the hoopers completely straight, 100 copies into a print run some piece of copy paper will have been randomly turned sideways by the printer and then the whole thing would jam as 200 pieces of paper would get jammed into every gear inside. There was always some poor first year teacher who would wait until the morning-of to print copies of a test only to find out the whole thing was jammed.
We also had a district employee responsible full-time for fixing broken chromebooks. He and the printer techs must have done some very bad stuff in a previous life.
Edit: speaking of printers, the PS3 (and maybe the 4/5?) has network printer drivers. Used it to print out some of my GT6 photomode pictures.

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

those printers that can fold and staple and bind and everything else must be mechanical marvels inside - like automated factories on how it’s made except massively scaled down with way tighter tolerances. it’s no surprise something with so many moving parts requires constant maintenance.