Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The poll results are in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kicks got 13th place. That's a pretty good showing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Potsticker posted:

Kicks got 13th place. That's a pretty good showing.
If you combine the votes for 'Kicks' and 'Kicks (Newborn Kitten Edition)', she goes up to 12th, beating Gwen and only a handful of points behind Mingxing.

I'm also very happy with how many points Team Melty got (18th place), since they were also write-in.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I can't wait for next poll's #1 spot to be a close match between Kicks and Undine's new puppy.

blacksocks
Feb 20, 2007

I'm concerned the vote engagement / totals are like half of last year.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Wasn't there a lengthy hiatus and spottier updates this year? I think that was this year but it's covid era and time has no relevance or meaning.

Regardless, that stuff has a big impact on reader retention.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I feel like the story lost quite a bit momentum this year. Stressa vs. Anemone is unrelatable high level stuff and kinda confusing.

The poll winner appeared two times since the last poll.

It's not in "always bad" territory or anything like that, but at least personally I'm not eagerly waiting new updates like I did a couple of years ago.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The polls aren't a great judge of reader investment because it usually comes down to how well publicised the poll is. This one came out of nowhere with no warning - literally just someone on the Discord asked if there was going to be one this year and Feen spun up the form. It might not have run as long either, I'm not sure on that.

It might well be a factor, though, that the entire year since the last poll has taken place in one in-story night. Not a lot has actually changed since the last poll. Zoe winning comes down to her being disproportionately popular with the hardcore fans on the Discord, which is where the poll actually gets a bunch of attention.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I did not vote in the poll because of the travesty of Eggbaby not winning last year (also I forgot).

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Come to think of it, one of the main ways for more casual fans to find out about a poll is from Mary tweeting about it, so lower vote totals might be Musk's fault.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Meanwhile I just forgot to do it entirely.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

It might well be a factor, though, that the entire year since the last poll has taken place in one in-story night. Not a lot has actually changed since the last poll.

With updates being as slow as they are, and how many plot threads are weaving around, I honestly didn't notice this until pointed out.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I didn’t realize it either, but until the infamous years-long night from that one Paranatural arc before I stopped reading I haven’t minded this as much.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bussamove posted:

I didn’t realize it either, but until the infamous years-long night from that one Paranatural arc before I stopped reading I haven’t minded this as much.

For proper contrast, Paranatural's story from the end of the last chapter (a few weeks ago) to when Sleepless Domain began took place in the same 24 hours.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

a story can take as long as it once in a single period of time so long as it feels like things happen

One Piece spent 3 years spanning approximately 1 night once, it's fine.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

rannum posted:

a story can take as long as it once in a single period of time so long as it feels like things happen

One Piece spent 3 years spanning approximately 1 night once, it's fine.

Yeah. Like it has only been one night for the past year but a heck of a lot of stuff has happened in that one night so it doesn't really feel like the comic is dragging it's heels or anything. It really does feel like we are building up to an imminent climax of some sort and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

That said if folks are getting bothered by the pacing, sometimes taking a break is good. Then you can get multiple pages in a row when you come back which can help a bit.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
This is a comic that reads exceptionally well archivally. I like to re-read it every now and then and the pacing in each chapter is perfect.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
You can tell a comic's got great pacing when going back to check one page inevitably results in binging the entire thing. Dr. McNinja and Cucumber Quest (:rip:) were like that, and so are Sleepless Domain and Kill Six Billion Demons.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Well Toooooo baaaad

The last panel is adorable.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Twibbit posted:

Well Toooooo baaaad

The last panel is adorable.

:newlol:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Yeah yeah the barrier failed dozens are dead maybe but are they smooching the public needs answers?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Look, once you work up the nerve for your big coming-out announcement it's too late to back down no matter what the man on the news did this time.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Clearly no one will ever pry that information from HP's poker face of steel.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

“So how are you and your new partner getting alo—“

“THIS INTERVIEW IS OVER. *Punches heart-shaped hole in set wall, flees*”

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Awww that hair clip thing is right out of Demon Girl Next Door, I approve greatly.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
It's entirely understandable to want some comfort and normalcy in times of stress and trauma, so it's not surprising that folks would want to keep up with the latest Magical Girl team-ups and speculate on them dating. Everything else about the concept of marketing child soldiers is still hosed, of course.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

On the plus side for HP, Undine has already shown willingness to soak annoying reporters

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Joe Slowboat posted:

Awww that hair clip thing is right out of Demon Girl Next Door, I approve greatly.

Anyone who's reading Sleepless Domain, by the way, might like Demon Girl Next Door if they've got any patience for anime at all. Mary Cagle loves that thing and she's right to do so.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Ragnar34 posted:

Anyone who's reading Sleepless Domain, by the way, might like Demon Girl Next Door if they've got any patience for anime at all. Mary Cagle loves that thing and she's right to do so.

The manga is also really good!
Shamiko is my precious weak idiot daughter who never loses, and Momo is basically HP but instead of going from ‘depressed goth to cheerful fitness dork’ she’s going from ‘depressed fitness dork to healing goth gf.’

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

How in the world did she see through my poker face!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
That photo on her mirror
:smith:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Aww, Undine's still doing her affirmations.

Someone on the Discord pointed out that she's changed the wording she tells herself. She started going to therapy somewhere between then and chapter 14, and she's gone from telling herself "you are okay" to "you are doing okay", which feels like a fairer standard to hold yourself to while you're grieving and have legitimate reason to fear the same thing that killled your friends.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah, I guess therapy is where the change of wording came from. I did like that first scene though, since it's one of those little demonstrations for how, no, she's not handling this 100% perfectly.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-21-page-5

Interesting that her response was to be honest but without any form of tact or elaboration.

Twibbit fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 30, 2022

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
If everything goes to plan, she'll be dead before long anyway so what does decorum matter?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Decorum also probably doesn’t come easy given that half of Tessa literally tried to murder Rue out of, essentially, boredom.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

This is a really interesting direction to take the newly merged Tessa in daily life with this outside infusion of confidence and feelings of superiority. Feels believable.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
comic/creator update (tldr-version - it''s been a fucker of a year):
https://twitter.com/SleeplessDomain/status/1609680468760215556?cxt=HHwWiICy5fP23dYsAAAA

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Flowers for lunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Story needs more Harley. Not enough love for the lady rocking the knuckledusters. Also, I know Zoe is already forming her own duo. But a flower power team would absolutely slap.