Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

Achmed Jones posted:

i figured i'd switch to vscode from sublime since it's pretty much the same

i ended up switching back

currently fighting passive aggressive comments every other day about how i use sublime instead of vsc and maybe things would work better if i used vsc instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

man in the eyeball hat posted:

currently fighting passive aggressive comments every other day about how i use sublime instead of vsc and maybe things would work better if i used vsc instead

gently caress em. with my old gender no one ever bothered me about my tmux/vim/make/docker workflow. new gender, I made the mistake yesterday of saying something vaguely nice about my coworker’s setup, and he gave me a three minute lecture about how to install his IDE, with detailed steps. it’s like, bitch i know how to run brew install

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i use webstorm because i write a lot of javascript, it works p good for my needs

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

colechristensen 16 minutes ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

That is a very shallow angry view of the modern world which leaves out so many methods the people have successfully used to exercise their power.
Voting, for example.
I, for one, will likely never be in a position where it makes sense to go on strike and you won’t find me with a pitchfork and torch at the home of the latest social target. There are other methods, and much more needed ones than strife and violence in the 21st century.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

fritz posted:

colechristensen 16 minutes ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

That is a very shallow angry view of the modern world which leaves out so many methods the people have successfully used to exercise their power.
Voting, for example.
I, for one, will likely never be in a position where it makes sense to go on strike and you won’t find me with a pitchfork and torch at the home of the latest social target. There are other methods, and much more needed ones than strife and violence in the 21st century.

i wonder if its this guy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cole_Christensen#/media/File:Cole_Christensen_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

i figured i'd switch to vscode from sublime since it's pretty much the same

i ended up switching back

what do u prefer about sublime

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
I just started using sublime again after 5+ years of being on emacs/vscode and it's just so much faster than either. Gotta thank microsoft for LSP because now we get to actually use good editors.

mystes
May 31, 2006

This whole thread is literally the worst thing ever: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=34039816

It's just a zillion hn posters being absolutely furious that Stanford has a page suggesting that people don't use the r word

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

mystes posted:

This whole thread is literally the worst thing ever: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=34039816

boy that list sure is … thorough. good luck to em, I guess - we could barely get our professors to stop saying slurs out loud on purpose, but maybe things are changing

hn as usual wildly overestimating the actual cultural impact of three undergrads compiling a list of every bad thing they’ve ever heard of or imagined. they still haven’t gotten over the default branch on github changing

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

SolTerrasa posted:

boy that list sure is … thorough. good luck to em, I guess - we could barely get our professors to stop saying slurs out loud on purpose, but maybe things are changing

hn as usual wildly overestimating the actual cultural impact of three undergrads compiling a list of every bad thing they’ve ever heard of or imagined. they still haven’t gotten over the default branch on github changing

They haven't even gotten over master/slave database replication.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
renaming male and female connectors to “peepee” and “hoohah” respectively to trigger the hn chuds

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

anon291 13 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

In olden times, people used to be sent to poor farms, where they were given shelter, labor, and food. Yes, there were abuses. But these are fixable ones that we should have tried to solve, rather than get rid of the program entirely. Such situations help people get back on their feet by providing meaningful employment, training in labor, stability, an address, etc. I don't see why this is so verboten to mention these days.
I'm thoroughly unconvinced this is a problem of shelter space. I don't know about Dallas, but in Portland, OR we have hundreds of beds going unused every night, and despite best efforts to fill them... we still have tons of street campers.

mystes
May 31, 2006

fritz posted:

In olden times, people used to be sent to poor farms, where they were given shelter, labor, and food. Yes, there were abuses. But these are fixable ones that we should have tried to solve, rather than get rid of the program entirely. Such situations help people get back on their feet by providing meaningful employment, training in labor, stability, an address, etc. I don't see why this is so verboten to mention these days.
I'm thoroughly unconvinced this is a problem of shelter space. I don't know about Dallas, but in Portland, OR we have hundreds of beds going unused every night, and despite best efforts to fill them... we still have tons of street campers.
It's worth recalling that poor houses in England were intentionally made into literal torture because normal living conditions at the time were so bad that otherwise people would want to be put in them to get food/shelter, and you can't have that, so you have to wonder how this hn poster would feel about that considering that they apparently think the main problem with shelters is that people aren't forcibly put in them to ensure all available beds aren't in use despite the fact that shelters presumably suck a lot

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 20, 2022

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

or, you know, the assumption that every homeless person isn’t suffering from crippling mental health issues and if only they could get a little helping hand they would overnight simply become a Productive Member of society

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Neito posted:

They haven't even gotten over master/slave database replication.

There is an older guy at my work that still complains about this. lmfao

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

the woke pc mob is erasing my bdsm lifestyle

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
qsort 2 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: A Non-Constructive Proof of the Four Colour Theorem

If it's correct, then it's a wonderful approach.

If it's not correct, then HN is the place to find where's the error.

By elimination of disjunction, upvote ;)

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
user3939382 5 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: ‘My power’s low’: NASA’s Insight Mars lander prepa...

As a programmer my first thought reading this was:

If I was designing a program to send me back a message and it was super critical I received it, I wouldn't put any quotes or non-alphanumerics in the message. Even if my string handling checks out, if the stakes are sufficiently high, I don't trust em!

CWuestefeld 5 hours ago | prev [–]

I thought it was pretty annoying that the communications are put forth here as if the lander is an animate thing engaging in conversation with us.

Perhaps one day we'll achieve something like that. Heck, maybe we'll send up the grandchild of ChatGPT to be the voice of a future exploration probe. But that's not what we have today. These messages were coded by the engineers who built the thing, and any implication of sentiment is bogus.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Mr.Radar posted:

qsort 2 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: A Non-Constructive Proof of the Four Colour Theorem

If it's correct, then it's a wonderful approach.

If it's not correct, then HN is the place to find where's the error.

By elimination of disjunction, upvote ;)

Four color theorem is hacker news bait for smugly confident morons stepping out of their lane. Always think back to this gem where Mr Hermitdev gets owned by the mspaint fill bucket:

hermitdev on April 17, 2018 | parent | context | favorite | on: Decades-Old Graph Problem Yields to Amateur Mathem...

Theories are not laws; only takes one counter-example to disprove them.

jnky on April 17, 2018 | next [–]

Is this a joke? The four color theorem is a proven theorem and not some crackpot theory.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
for what it’s worth, that original reply is an awakward joke about it being a non-constructive proof

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Paper. It's beyond my ability to evaluate quickly but the department the authors are affiliated with is pretty strong so this is worth taking seriously.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i will not immediately doubt the authors claim that they have a non-constructive proof of something that has had a constructive proof for 45 years.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

deserved or not, there is shadowbanning in effect on hn. If you disagree with people enough, you'll end up on the list for offering counterpoints.

often it takes bravery to disagree with the crowd, and often only those who are most passionate have the guts to disagree.

The funning thing about HN is, we're all typing with our pinkies out, so you can disagree but if you dont do it with the utmost literary elegance and most bulletproof logic, it doesn't matter how right you were. Instead, what matters is that for a moment you stepped outside the parameters of gentility and your comments will be held for further review... forever.

Bravery and fact are not always intertwined, but you will nonetheless pay the price for your bravery. Don't be brave here unless you're confident in your abilities of presenting a point covertly.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

noduerme 29 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

>> what good are the kids of tomorrow without the old of today
Worshipping youth in its ignorance and speed while discarding the wisdom of elders is called fascism. The right question would be what can civilization hope to achieve besides a reversion to barbarism and "Lord of the Flies" if it doesn't hold its oldest, most vulnerable and most wise members, and their experience, in the highest regard?
The young have always been proud and disposable. And if they don't die young, they get old. Then maybe they have something more interesting to say.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
racist grandparents and people rich enough for boutique healthcare: civilization's most wise members

kids having their lives ruined under the leadership of racist gradparents and rich assholes: ignorant and disposable

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i like plato as much as the next guy but dang

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

fritz posted:

Worshipping youth in its ignorance and speed while discarding the wisdom of elders is called fascism.

lmao

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

that is etched into the steps of Palo Alto city hall actually :hmmyes:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
everything is fascism except actual fascism, which is fine

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

fritz posted:

In olden times, people used to be sent to poor farms, where they were given shelter, labor, and food.

given labor?

mystes
May 31, 2006

raminasi posted:

given labor?
Given the wonderful honor of toiling on horrible conditions

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

wincy 41 minutes ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Maids trafficked and sold to wealthy Saudis on bla...

Okay but we agreed it was wrong and basically forced the Aztecs to stop sacrificing people to their sun god. I don’t think you’ll find a sane individual today advocating for child sacrifice to make sure the sun comes up in the morning. The Aztecs certainly would have preferred to keep being on top and brutalizing the other tribes around them. Is this a lack of cultural diversity? When do we stop respecting cultural diversity and step in to do what we believe to be the right thing?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

wincy 1 day ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: The Grinch Stealing the Future of Gen Y and Z

Okay so let’s say I accept your statement is true and also I’m making good money these days with low expenses. Where should I put my money so I can be one of these people taking advantage of the fact that we’re exploiting workers? Because I’d sure like to become part of this bourgeoise class everyone keeps talking about. Do I just put money into lots of stocks?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
hn thread: I’d sure like to become part of this bourgeoise class

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Re: 285k people purchased Tesla FSD

Queue29 39 minutes ago | prev [–]
I wonder what percentage of those feel they got their money's worth.

fnordpiglet 32 minutes ago | parent | next [–]
I bought it, but I bought it as a donation towards funding R&D in the space of autonomous driving. I’ve found FSD useless outside of highway driving, which adaptive cruise control does ok at. That has however changed in the last year and the FSD has improved dramatically over months to the point I can reasonably navigate door to door in a hostile and negligently adversarial driving environment like seattle without fear of imminent death. If I were evaluating it on “what could I have materially attained for the price of FSD” I don’t think I got a good deal. But again, I didn’t spend the money with that in mind. I bought it with the idea that $3b in consumer crowd funding of FSD will materially advance the end of human intermediated driving - which I think is akin to curing cancer.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

IshKebab 1 day ago | parent | context | favorite | on: An M1 for Curl

> Apple has shipped and used curl in their products for twenty years but they never assist, help or otherwise contribute to the development. They also don’t sponsor us in any way, like with hardware.

Do they have an obligation to? Even a moral one? Honestly I don't think (I hope!) Apple actually uses curl in their products (probably a good thing). It's just provided as a convenience to developers who might be used to it.
I got curious about Apple's use of Curl and Googled it. One of the top hits was another blog post complaining about Apple not donating Macs:

I think you could replace 99% of the uses of Curl (download one file via HTTPS) with like 100 lines of Python or Rust or Go. It's not critical infrastructure in the same way that OpenSSL or LLVM or WebKit are.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

post hole digger posted:

IshKebab 1 day ago | parent | context | favorite | on: An M1 for Curl

> Apple has shipped and used curl in their products for twenty years but they never assist, help or otherwise contribute to the development. They also don’t sponsor us in any way, like with hardware.

Do they have an obligation to? Even a moral one? Honestly I don't think (I hope!) Apple actually uses curl in their products (probably a good thing). It's just provided as a convenience to developers who might be used to it.
I got curious about Apple's use of Curl and Googled it. One of the top hits was another blog post complaining about Apple not donating Macs:

I think you could replace 99% of the uses of Curl (download one file via HTTPS) with like 100 lines of Python or Rust or Go. It's not critical infrastructure in the same way that OpenSSL or LLVM or WebKit are.

gotta remember that the curl project includes libcurl, which is included in at lot of surprising places. its a very convenient library for closed source apps as it's mit licensed

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

logicalmonster 15 minutes ago | undown | parent | context | next [–] | on: Ask HN: Would a tech recession vindicate calls for...

> Unions are the reason we have a 40-hour workweek

I'm open to a discussion on this, but I'd make an argument that the biggest direct factor that caused improvements like 40 weekly hours of work being possible isn't unionization, but the overall process of industrialization.

Many people always seem to forget that employers also have to compete for labor. Once a society becomes wealthy enough through industrialization, the setting for better working conditions emerges and becomes possible; whether it's union agitation or simply market competition for workers that pushes them there. The root condition that has to be in place is industrialization.

To illustrate this, I'd offer a thought experiment. Imagine a dirt poor country with no machinery that multiplies their labor. People there currently need to work at least 80 hours a week just to feed their families low-quality gruel and give them rags to wear. How does this hypothetical country ever get to 40 hours of work a week without starving? It doesn't matter how well-intentioned and powerful their unions are, their only path to living at 40 hours per week is going through the lovely process of industrializing and becoming efficient enough first.

> minimum wage

I would strongly argue that an enforced minimum wage isn't the act of love it sounds like, but an act of supreme hatred. It completely locks the most disadvantaged out of the labor market. I know some borderline mentally/physically limited people who hate feeling useless and would love to have some kind of routine and feel like they can contribute to society in a small way and benefit themselves a bit with some kind of job, but due to their working speed and special challenges, there's no way they can be employable at a normal minimum wage for any task. The minimum wage doesn't help them: it just makes the least advantaged among us as depressed wards of the state who rot away their lives because they're completely locked out of a normal life in the world.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

https://curl.se/docs/companies.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Maximo Roboto posted:

logicalmonster 15 minutes ago | undown | parent | context | next [–] | on: Ask HN: Would a tech recession vindicate calls for...

> Unions are the reason we have a 40-hour workweek

I'm open to a discussion on this, but I'd make an argument that the biggest direct factor that caused improvements like 40 weekly hours of work being possible isn't unionization, but the overall process of industrialization.

Many people always seem to forget that employers also have to compete for labor. Once a society becomes wealthy enough through industrialization, the setting for better working conditions emerges and becomes possible; whether it's union agitation or simply market competition for workers that pushes them there. The root condition that has to be in place is industrialization.

To illustrate this, I'd offer a thought experiment. Imagine a dirt poor country with no machinery that multiplies their labor. People there currently need to work at least 80 hours a week just to feed their families low-quality gruel and give them rags to wear. How does this hypothetical country ever get to 40 hours of work a week without starving? It doesn't matter how well-intentioned and powerful their unions are, their only path to living at 40 hours per week is going through the lovely process of industrializing and becoming efficient enough first.

> minimum wage

I would strongly argue that an enforced minimum wage isn't the act of love it sounds like, but an act of supreme hatred. It completely locks the most disadvantaged out of the labor market. I know some borderline mentally/physically limited people who hate feeling useless and would love to have some kind of routine and feel like they can contribute to society in a small way and benefit themselves a bit with some kind of job, but due to their working speed and special challenges, there's no way they can be employable at a normal minimum wage for any task. The minimum wage doesn't help them: it just makes the least advantaged among us as depressed wards of the state who rot away their lives because they're completely locked out of a normal life in the world.

got to the part where he straightfaced described a minimum wage as “an act of supreme hatred” and started loling