Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i'm totally comfortable with manual focusing. tell me the cheap glass secrets!

i would like to have one good lens to rely on. i don't have any canon glass worth an adapter.

was looking for an excuse to finally get a full frame and a 24-70 tbh but i will save money for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i suppose it'd depend on what focal length you're looking for then. what kind of stuff are you thinking of shooting?

i'd also say grab the adapter anyway, i think the one i had was like $15. canon's lenses are pretty good, even the cheap kit stuff

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

snow and ice sculptures at the snow festival, mountains in hokkaido

shrines and city architecture on the mainland. def want to snap lots of pics of that look like they came out of a yakuza game.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
so i'll preface this by saying i've used that exact setup before, an om-d em 10 with the kit 14-42mm m.zuiko vario ;)

it's a decent lens, actually. the focal range is impressive. the problem is that it's a pretty slow lens, the maximum aperture is 3.5 — you can get some decent depth of field out of it there, too, but it's not going to look like tiny town or something. in short, it's a fine lens, but limited, and i'd bring it along for wide shots only really since 14mm is a pretty odd focal length and good true wide angle lenses are pretty expensive

i also want to mention that i've got a couple panasonic primes and they're also great, very fast and relatively affordable. honestly, no complaints about these guys. of note:

lumix g 25mm 1.7 - $147 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014RD6RC0/

this is an excellent lens. it's sharp as a tack at f/1.7 and is one of the fastest autofocusing prime lenses i've ever seen. highly recommended for cityscapes, architecture, etc.

as far as cheapo manual primes go, i've got two meike lenses that were around $100:

-50mm 1.7 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RZBZLPG $104
-35mm 1.4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N1KZZQW $89

they are both very solidly built and perform excellently. meike makes good stuff and has a range of focal lengths available and they're pretty cheap, just search around. i have one of their more expensive lenses too (a 12mm i can't find on amazon now) and it's one of my favorites

for longer focal lengths i use a rokinon 85mm 1.4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HAF120K ($249). it's fantastic for portraits also

those are probably what i'd pack and i picked them all specifically because they're all under $300, lol. there are a ton of lenses available for micro four thirds and you probably know your needs better than i do, so i advise just searching around a bit. if you have any questions about something you come across :justpost:

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

in the defense of my humble d40 tho this was something i shot one handed while riding my bicycle during early covid and i think the old girl did a great job at a “oh poo poo grab the camera” momemt. i dont think its an incredible shot but i was really fuckin impressed by the 50mm nikkor just fuckin goin for it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

nice!

my god, theres a handful of stars

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i loving hate this olympus. i can not get good pictures with it. even on auto settings it sets the shutter speed too slow so i get some movement in my shots around the house. i'm going to order the 25 1.7 and see how it does with that.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

yeah, the e-m10 is a pretty mediocre camera. they made a couple sequels (mk ii, etc.) but it's nowhere near as good as the e-m5 or 1 and my g85 was a huge step up despite being almost the same price

the 25/1.7 is a really solid lens though, i think you'll be very happy with it

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

yeah i hope it works out. you mention something about manual shutter and electronic. can you actually switch between the two?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

this was shot with the meike 35mm 1.4 with my e-m10

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

yeah i hope it works out. you mention something about manual shutter and electronic. can you actually switch between the two?

yep. there's a toggle in i think the manual mode shooting settings

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

KidDynamite posted:

i loving hate this olympus. i can not get good pictures with it. even on auto settings it sets the shutter speed too slow so i get some movement in my shots around the house. i'm going to order the 25 1.7 and see how it does with that.

could you just set it to manual (or shutter priority) and auto ISO?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Casual Encountess posted:

in the defense of my humble d40 tho this was something i shot one handed while riding my bicycle during early covid and i think the old girl did a great job at a “oh poo poo grab the camera” momemt. i dont think its an incredible shot but i was really fuckin impressed by the 50mm nikkor just fuckin goin for it

if there is one thing I miss from my canon 7D compares to the R is that I switch my new camera off

I never bothered switching the 7D off, I’d let it go to sleep, and even after a month, I could depress the shutter and it’d be ready to take a photo in less than a second. And the batter lasted totally fine doing this, and coz it was a dslr it didn’t matter that it was sleeping as far as composing shots.

That’s the biggest bugger of mirrorless, they aren’t ready to go immediately, you have to wait like 2 seconds

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

auto iso on the olympus is usually too high imo (which makes sense i guess, better safe than sorry). i don't have a charged battery handy to run a few tests, but using aperture priority set at 3.5 should yield decent results

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

if there is one thing I miss from my canon 7D compares to the R is that I switch my new camera off

I never bothered switching the 7D off, I’d let it go to sleep, and even after a month, I could depress the shutter and it’d be ready to take a photo in less than a second. And the batter lasted totally fine doing this, and coz it was a dslr it didn’t matter that it was sleeping as far as composing shots.

That’s the biggest bugger of mirrorless, they aren’t ready to go immediately, you have to wait like 2 seconds

ehh that's not always true. my sony, panasonic and pentax are ready pretty much immediately after powering them on and the olympus probably has at most a 1s delay. i'd bet the others are somewhere around <500ms, i.e. noticeable but not really significant

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

god that rules

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

thanks, it was a similar “oh poo poo must fumble for camera” moment and it fortunately happened to be at 1/500 because I was taking pictures of dogs earlier

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

holy crap is the lumix 25/1.7 a night a day difference to the kit lens. excellent recommendation beeftweeter.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol hey that came pretty quick. enjoy!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
whenever I see someone decide to get into photography and end up with like an EOS 45000 with a 18-50 f/3.8-4.5 or whatever the gently caress I feel a little bit sad, like, you’ve just gone and spent this money but the results are probably going to be extremely ordinary, and fear it’ll make them question whether or not bothering with gear over a phone is even worth it

I got into photography because I was a nerd on the gear, and loved playing around with the settings and etc, and accidentally when I bought a second hand camera it came with a 80-200 zoom and even tho at 200 it was like f/4.5, and needed decent light, it took such nice photos. so many great photos of my younger son taken that way. if that lens wasn’t in the package and I had only gotten the 18-50 or maybe it was 18-35, I doubt I would have continued, that kit lens is SO poo poo, it just doesn’t produce photos that make you feel like a DSLR over a point and shoot is worth it

before that I had one of those canon powershots that was a point and shoot but had full manual. that was a real good intro to photography, but you never expected incredible results so disappointment wasn’t an option.

also

this is such an iconic photo

what length lens are we guessing here? to my eyes it’s longer than shorter, and to me justifies my passion for longer lenses for portrait

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

looks ~45mm

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
as a person with less experience - it looks long to me.

at the very least I like it a lot and feel like I’d be using a long lens - perhaps my only lens - to do something similar

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

if it were much longer the stuff in the fore would look bigger

45-50mm is around the same focal length as normal vision, at least to me

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

nurrwick posted:

i don’t know why but these two really say something to me. i should probably talk to someone about that.

i think the kids these days call this place “the back rooms”

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

yessssss

yesssssssssssss

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

gear chat: i used to be a prime lens only snob for a long time, but maybe a year ago I bought a 16-80mm f4 for my fuji and it practically never leaves my camera now. sure it doesn’t have the same bokeh as a 1.8 or 1.4 prime and f4 doesn’t get me tons of light, but the versatility is so much more convenient. it helps having a sensor that can shoot at 6400 or 12800 iso without hardly any noise

that said I don’t really take portraits except for my kids, so i don’t actually miss the lack of bokeh. but i still lust after that drat fuji 58mm 1.2 lens

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

looks ~45mm

Yeah I'd say it's a crop from a 50 (if on 135 film or full-frame). Nearly wide open, no more than f/2.8

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

looks ~45mm

It looks like an 80mm to me with the short dof and compression.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Megabound posted:

it's possible, i was thinking it might also just be weird placement since it seems to be a restaurant

at any rate it's not exactly what i'd call a wide lens, and it's not particularly telephoto either

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Does she know you posted her picture on the Your Operating System is a Piece Of poo poo subforum of something is awful .com

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:hmmyes:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

blehhhhhh

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Megabound posted:

yeah excellent observation

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Does she know you posted her picture on the Your Operating System is a Piece Of poo poo subforum of something is awful .com

Yes, she does. This photo is posted in a lot of places and my partner is fine with that.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that third shot has almost-AI vibes

caught this shot of a Kererū (wood pidgeon) which somehow wasn’t too scared by my presence

thank christ I had a 135mm on (my only lens) otherwise this shot would be wasted :smugmrgw:

edited purely with the ios photo thing. the canon camera app has been updated so now can export raw to the ios camera roll not just jpeg