Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Mr. Pickles posted:

Idk looks its one of these things you see on the internet which actually never happened.
Dear Penthouse,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-o_pHrTto8

ah yes, that death metal snare

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I'm not sure how I've never heard any Hellripper before catching up on this thread but uhh, all their poo poo loving rips.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Anyone recognize what this track is lifted from/inspired by?

https://youtu.be/gi6cRnVVMk0

It’s some kind of metal, I know that, but the bands and riffs it reminds me of escape me. Definitely not the later, darker, more doom-y metal as far as I can tell. I don’t think it’s thrash either.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

It’s some kind of metal, I know that, but the bands and riffs it reminds me of escape me. Definitely not the later, darker, more doom-y metal as far as I can tell. I don’t think it’s thrash either.

https://youtu.be/Hjvo0ruiGGs

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

I was going to comment that this kind of reliance on pedal tone was really very common among NES action games around the 1988-1992 period. I nearly referenced the Ninja Gaiden trilogy, then dug a little and saw that Tsukasa Masuko was actually doing the NES sound driver programming for Tecmo at the time, so that's probably not a coincidence. Their audio engine made these kinds of compositions sound good.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if this was lifted from anything directly. Japan was just picking up early visual kei bands like X [Japan] and Seikima-II, and they were characterized by a lot more dynamics and interesting stuff happening on the guitar. This sounds kinda like a sound programmer with 6 months of guitar lessons noodling around on a $100 Ibanez and translating their riffs onto a 2A03

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Been listening to a lot of Morbid Angel lately to be more familiar with their stuff when they come through town. I think Altars of Madness is an almost perfect album. It's loving amazing.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Altars of Madness is so good I never end up listening to anything else of theirs

I should branch out more often but :shrug:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
altars of madness is good but summoning redemption is a top tier MA song

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

Think it sounds like the first part of For Whom the Bell Tolls to me.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I try to listen to other Morbid Angel albums but I always end up quitting halfway through to listen to Altars instead.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 2, 2023

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://youtu.be/WOS7CjfE0hM

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
They had one album where it felt like they were dipping into Industrial a bit, but it didn't feel right. Seeing Cevin Key (Skinny Puppy/Download/Tear Garden) do a remix kind of blew my mind, though.

I'm not going to lie, I do keep going back to Altars. I've done it like 6 times now exploring their catalog. It's. So. Good.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
A lot of implicit Covenant slander in these parts

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

in 2023 can we resolve to not post blind links to what might be a rick roll or lemonparty or something?

i can't even copy a youtube URL and paste it without the [video] bbcode auto-applying. in the mobile app, for android at least, it's two taps to add the code to your reply.

:effort:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

its 2023 who the hell posts a link to rickroll or lemonparty?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

lol youtube link to lemonparty

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Same, all the same..I have no desire to listen to anything but Altar of Madness when listening to Morbid Angel because it's so god gamn good..errytime I start listening to something else from their catalogus I end up listening to Altars. feels like a curse somewhat because it's not that i am not trying

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
all my links go to lemonparty

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Has anyone been to a Sunn o))) show? Going on a road trip next month and I'm thinking of catching either their Denver or Tucson show.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Has anyone been to a Sunn o))) show? Going on a road trip next month and I'm thinking of catching either their Denver or Tucson show.

Everyone with an interest in sound and/or their own anatomy should go at least once

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Kvlt! posted:

its 2023 who the hell posts a link to rickroll or lemonparty?

My 11-year-old kid thinks rickrolling is the height of comedy.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Yeah, and it's one hell of an experience. Bring earplugs.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

KozmoNaut posted:

BRING EARPLUGS

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Earplugs for any show. It makes any venue sound A+ because they cut out the high range reflected white noise entirely.

And they'll save your ears. hosed one of mine last summer.. Now when I cough I hear crackling. My container is on my keychain always so I never forget.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Snowy posted:

Altars of Madness is so good I never end up listening to anything else of theirs

I should branch out more often but :shrug:

Altars and Blessed are absolute classics but I've always also been quite fond of Formulas Fatal to the Flesh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDm6UYTIU5M

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

what is everyones opinion on the new hellriffer track. imo it rips.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Binged some Devourment today. Slam owns

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Didn't listen much to recent metal in 2022 so these aoty lists are great to see what i've been missing. That said, Ashenspire's Hostile Architecture :stwoon:

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Gio posted:

what is everyones opinion on the new hellriffer track. imo it rips.

The Nuckelavee, or is there another one?

The Nuckelavee absolutely rips and Hellripper owns in general.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Southern Cassowary posted:

The Nuckelavee, or is there another one?

The Nuckelavee absolutely rips and Hellripper owns in general.

the nuckelavee, yeah. not a new track released just yet. would be nice to get one more taste of the new album before it comes out.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Yeah, "Torture" is definitely the exception as it kicks rear end from front to back. Everything other than that between "Kill" and "Violence Unimagined" are no where near mandatory listening though.

i prefer newer CC to old ngl

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Klaaz posted:

Didn't listen much to recent metal in 2022 so these aoty lists are great to see what i've been missing. That said, Ashenspire's Hostile Architecture :stwoon:

I think the first track was amazing but it got a bit tiresome after that. Though if they carry on with as Glaswegian Mayhem with John Zorn sax I'm in for more

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Omnikin posted:

Binged some Devourment today. Slam owns

Obscene Majesty is probably my favorite slam album at this point and one of the best dm albums overall imo. Sounds like a mix of slam and war and only really falls short of None So Vile in terms of brutality.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I still have to stuff to re-listen to (just don't have the time anymore!) but I think I finalized my top 10 for the year overall and am pretty solid on the top 10 of just metal albums:

1. Sigh - Shiki: How Mirai continuously reinvents himself is really quite something. Mike Heller is an incredible addition on drums. They haven't been this aggressive in over a decade. Probably my favorite since Imaginary Sonicscape.

2. Ashenspire - Hostile Architecture: Scottish radical anarchist avant-garde metal. In a great year for polemical heavy music this is the best one. Really cool and eclectic instrumentation.

3. Cloud Rat - Threshold: Grindcore with the emotional catharsis of the best screamo. Two absolute killers in a row for them. Probably the best grind band around now.

4. Pure Wrath - Hymn to the Woeful Hearts: The most gorgeous black metal of the year. Nothing original, just really stirring stuff about the Indonesian genocide.

5. Imperial Triumphant - Spirit of Ecstacy: Best skronks of the year. Dizzying, unpredictable stuff. Kenny G has a Metal-Archives page now lol

6. Wormrot - Hiss: Their best work! Lots of different styles incorporated and Arif went all-out for his farewell. Curious to hear what the new Wormrot sounds like without him.

7. Anal Stabwound - Reality Drips Into the Mouth of Indifference: This literal child put out an incredible piece of Defeated Sanity worship.

8. Esoctrilihum - Consecration of the Spiritus Flesh: Don't know how this guy keeps doing it but nobody is crushing it at the same clip as Asthaghul. Horrific blackened death goodness as usual.

9. Messa - Close: I waffle between this and Ashenspire as the ideal 2022 metal album for non-metal fans. It's got a doom base but it's more textural than it is crushing. Great vocals and saxophone. Just a cool experience.

10. Undeath - It's Time... to Rise From the Grave: Prosthetic obviously put a lot of hype behind this because it's baffling that a standard OSDM album was the token metal release to get praise on many music sites' AOTY lists. But execution trumps originality here. This is the most fun record of the year. Only Anal Stabwound and Pharmacist come close in that department.

Honorable mentions: Chat Pile, Boris (Heavy Rocks), The Chasm, Cult of Luna, Ripped to Shreds, Negative Plane, Doldrum, White Ward, Morrow, Mizmor & Thou, Faceless Burial, SpiritWorld

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i could make a list but its just Gutricyde's self titled over and over again.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

ive been listening to this a lot lately

https://thornx.bandcamp.com/album/entanglement-of-symbiotic-dread

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Henchman of Santa posted:

7. Anal Stabwound - Reality Drips Into the Mouth of Indifference: This literal child put out an incredible piece of Defeated Sanity worship.
this feels far too good for a mere teenager, he must be a reincarnation or actually possessed by a brutal spirit

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Philthy posted:

And they'll save your ears. hosed one of mine last summer.. Now when I cough I hear crackling.
IANAO: This probably originates in the eustachian tube(s) and is very unlikely to be related to noise-related hearing injury. If you have a TMJ disorder—maybe you find that tensing your jaw eases your tinnitus—that's much more proximate to the kind of problem you're describing

that said, hell yeah fuckin' earplugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

re: Morbid Angel, I don't think I listened to Abominations of Desolation until a few years ago but it fuckin rips, honestly very close to topping Altars as the best MA album imo