Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

I can't read this any other way than the elephant farting its message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

I assume the 2022 thread will go on forever
time is an illusion, we are all dead and this is hell

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

World Famous W posted:

Ah, this is a good resolution to the all the political cartoonists are dead arc. What a twist.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Broelman:

Downes:

Le Lievre:

Wilcox:

Leak, Son of Leak:

The News Corp papers do massive spread summary cartoons for the year:

Knight (Herald Sun, Melbourne):

Lethbridge (Courier Mail, Brisbane):

Warren Brown (Daily Telegraph, Sydney):

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

World Famous W posted:

That would explain a lot.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I’ll make the new thread tomorrow. Between New Year’s Eve and taking down all Christmas decorations, I ran out of time this weekend.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

My immediate thought was that you had just randomly hosed parts of this down with that lovely MS-Paint airbrush tool, but I'm reading the room how no one is saying anything so : is this how the artist draws all their comics?

What is that supposed to represent?

Anyway, I came because I bumped into a political cartoon and I can't understand one part :

I don't agree with this comic, obviously, it is a lovely comic. But I can't fully parse it : Okay, Russia and China are fighting a big dragon labeled G20, it's not exactly hard to parse (even if from context it's pretty clear they probably meant the G7). And we've got monster heads like Tiamat representing countries ; from the right : Japan (took some effort to notice that the sun wasn't a stripe with the angle) ; the UK ; I'm assuming France but a loving third of the world's flags are red, white and blue maybe it's The Netherlands or The Czech Republic or Luxembourg or Cape Verde if you're nasty ; the US* ; Germany, the Stahlhelm is kind of a tell, yikes ; and then Argentina(??) with a little... Latvia(?!) hanging off of it. I'm just guessing on those last ones. The other countries in the G7 are Italy and Canada, and those don't make sense, so I looked at the actual G20 and Argentina was the closest flag to what's on the pig-head monster.

Politoons thread, can you help me figure out what country the pig-monster in the lovely cartoon is supposed to be? This is driving me crazy. Although there is the idea that it might be the Israeli flag, even though they're not part of the G20, because they'd probably be there for a different kind of "political" reason.

*though I guess it could be any of the countries with red, white and blue and stars and stripes so maybe it's Liberia. As a colorblind person who has to memorize these thing, I just want to say that flags are bullshit.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
If anyone is curious how Ishida is doing, I checked the Sinfest site and counted no few than six banner ad slots taking up far more combined real estate than the comic itself. Substack subscriptions coming along swimmingly, I see.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Xiahou Dun posted:

I don't agree with this comic, obviously, it is a lovely comic. But I can't fully parse it : Okay, Russia and China are fighting a big dragon labeled G20, it's not exactly hard to parse (even if from context it's pretty clear they probably meant the G7). And we've got monster heads like Tiamat representing countries ; from the right : Japan (took some effort to notice that the sun wasn't a stripe with the angle) ; the UK ; I'm assuming France but a loving third of the world's flags are red, white and blue maybe it's The Netherlands or The Czech Republic or Luxembourg or Cape Verde if you're nasty ; the US* ; Germany, the Stahlhelm is kind of a tell, yikes ; and then Argentina(??) with a little... Latvia(?!) hanging off of it. I'm just guessing on those last ones. The other countries in the G7 are Italy and Canada, and those don't make sense, so I looked at the actual G20 and Argentina was the closest flag to what's on the pig-head monster.

Politoons thread, can you help me figure out what country the pig-monster in the lovely cartoon is supposed to be? This is driving me crazy. Although there is the idea that it might be the Israeli flag, even though they're not part of the G20, because they'd probably be there for a different kind of "political" reason.

*though I guess it could be any of the countries with red, white and blue and stars and stripes so maybe it's Liberia. As a colorblind person who has to memorize these thing, I just want to say that flags are bullshit.

Here's the artist's page. Note the image has been in circulation forever and has had all kinds of alternate versions, e.g. this one. From comments on the original the pig head is Israel and the rat is Latvia. The whole piece is incoherent (Russia and China are in the G20), but that's practically a plus with this sort of thing.

...I don't have the link handy, but I should note that the Intercept recently published a leaked agreement from 2021 for Russia and China to start coordinating their propaganda efforts. This should color our perception of the last couple years' comics, and explains a bunch of lines taken by Russian messaging (which tends to have better penetration in the US).

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 2, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Discendo Vox posted:

Here's the artist's page. Note the image has been in circulation forever and has had all kinds of alternate versions, e.g. this one. From comments on the original the pig head is Israel and the rat is Latvia. The whole piece is incoherent (Russia and China are in the G20), but that's practically a plus with this sort of thing.

...I don't have the link handy, but I should note that the Intercept recently published a leaked agreement from 2021 for Russia and China to start coordinating their propaganda efforts. This should color our perception of the last couple years' comics, and explains a bunch of lines taken by Russian messaging (which tends to have better penetration in the US).

Thanks so much.

It's very nice to know that it doesn't make sense just because it doesn't make sense.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Thanks so much.

It's very nice to know that it doesn't make sense just because it doesn't make sense.

The artist appears completely brain-poisoned by propaganda (and possibly actual drugs judging by their later work). Reverse GIS'ing this (and for the record that's all it takes to find sourcing for these, right click and search image if you're using chrome) is depressing as I see the fora it gets play on, and the people endorsing it.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
There's just not enough conspiracy theories about the sinister global domination exerted by Latvia, nice to see them being included I guess

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

It's Chinatown Russia. They're very happy to hear news of "Asian" parts of the former empire languishing in corruption and harsher autocracy than Russia proper, and really hate the idea of any former republics successfully integrating into the Euro-sphere ("no! Their industrial capacity is ruined and their citizens have to clean toilets in Germany!")

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also most of the heads are recognizable symbols; the bald eagle, cock and lion are the national animals of the US, France and the UK, respectively. Dunno why Germany is a horse, but it gets a stahlhelm to clarify.

Israel is a pig because of a medieval myth that all Jewish people are ganondorfs; pig monsters in the guise of humans who will revert to their true form once their insidious conquest is complete. It had a resurgence in nazi Germany, but has mostly been supplanted by David Icke's lizard people in modern anti-Semitism. While the cartoonist's views aren't much of a puzzle, this marks them as an old school nazi.

Couldn't tell you why Japan is a snake specifically, nor why Latvia is a rat clinging to Israel's ear, but obviously the guy has some kind of personal beef with the Republic of Latvia.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Couldn't tell you why Japan is a snake specifically

Probaby from the Yamato no Orochi

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Dunno why Germany is a horse, but it gets a stahlhelm to clarify.

I think that's just a Totenkopf. A horse's skull would have eyes on the sides, not in front of the head like us predators.

I'm not sure that the rat is Latvia, it doesn't make sense for context because while technically Latvia is represented in G-20 by EU, they are not significant at all. But then you would have to go inside the artist's mind and, uh, think I'll pass :brainworms:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

First Ted Rall of 2023. :toot:

Rall: I Spy for the FBI

Ted Rall posted:

Adam Fox, 39, faces 16 years in prison for his role in a plot to kidnap Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer. Do you feel safer? Should your governor feel safer? Probably not. Along with his fellow “co-conspirators,” he was lured by an undercover FBI informant without whom the plot would never have gotten off the ground, much less been executed. As the FBI has done in the past, and will certainly do again, they are getting credit for going after fake criminals, while real ones get away.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe if someone says "hey, want to do a terrorism for money?" you just say no, Ted. You wouldn't have your current job then though.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Couldn't tell you why Japan is a snake specifically, nor why Latvia is a rat clinging to Israel's ear, but obviously the guy has some kind of personal beef with the Republic of Latvia.
It looks like Latvia rat is attacking Israel.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing according to the artist? Who knows, "all our enemies are antisemitic nazi Jews" is something that sometimes comes up in Russian propaganda (and in Western 'NWO/WEF' propaganda) because it has no obligation to be even internally consistent.

It could also be an opossum.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

World Famous W posted:

Well that sure is a weight off my shoulders.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

World Famous W posted:

time is an illusion, we are all dead Ted and this is hell Rall

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
2023 thread title.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I didn't notice the "Gretchen Whitmer Plot HQ" sign on the door, so that was a fun little game of "How is Rall going to make 'the FBI is bad' a bad take" reading that comic. Raise a toast to the Wolverine Watchmen, innocent men who definitely didn't do anything wrong.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Nicola Jennings: a bumpy start to 2023 – Industrial disputes across multiple sectors present Rishi Sunak with some tough challenges going into the new year"

Telegraph:

Times:

"The Times view on Labour’s electoral chances: Starmer’s Progress"

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Charlie Hebdo

Resolutions:
"In 2023 I'm going to stop smoking!"
"He'll never make it."

Le Monde

I thought they were gone for the whole Christmas break period but they came back on the 28th.

28/12
Vague de froid meurtrière aux États-Unis/Murderous Cold Snap in the US by Kroll from Belgium

31/12
Brésil : mort de Pelé, le « Roi » éternel/Brazil: Death of Pelé, the eternal "King" by Thiago from Brazil

2/1
by Amorim from Brazil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

"Unless someone like you hates a whole awful lot
No one is going to get richer, we're not."

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4021042&pagenumber=1