Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
by “got to”, I mean I entirely skipped the first bit and then read one sentence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

got to the part where he straightfaced described a minimum wage as “an act of supreme hatred” and started loling
I guess this is the counterpart to Ye's "Love Speech"

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
(This one is already [dead] but had to post it)

sacrosancty 35 minutes ago [dead] | on: Megaface

Replace "corporate profit" with "social good", which is what it generally comes from, and then is it still sad?
You seem to imply there's something wrong with corporate profit. We as society want and encourage corporate profit because we want the social good that corporations provide and the profit incentivizes them to do it. Profit is a rough measure of how much good they do for people.
Profit is like salary for investors. Salary is fine for doctors and teachers, isn't it? It's also fine for investors which do the useful and difficult job of deciding which companies are doing the most good, then encouraging them to do more of it by investing money.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
oil is like food for cars

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

post hole digger posted:

IshKebab 1 day ago | parent | context | favorite | on: An M1 for Curl

I think you could replace 99% of the uses of Curl (download one file via HTTPS) with like 100 lines of Python or Rust or Go. It's not critical infrastructure in the same way that OpenSSL or LLVM or WebKit are.

https://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2022/10/14/rewriting-curl-in-three-days/

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

julian_sark 36 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

This is right up my alley.
I'm known for writing documentation that is useful AND, let's say, entertaining. Or, depending on your inclination, sed 's/entertaining/hilarious/g'
Besides docu and Wiki pages (what unfortunately counts for docu in many companies), I've written man pages and shell scripts with more jokes than a longint can probably count.
Once had a shell script that did something really, really impactful and asked the user in increasingly aggressive prompts if he is sure, then delved into existentialism and how he can even be sure that he is so sure. Another prompted the unfortunate victim to validate that gravity, in fact, still works. Long story.
Some have deemed that "unprofessional", especially management. I am elated to see that this has precedence in print, and shall use this to make my case.
Oh, I have writing samples available. If anyone wants to hire a guy to write funny manuals or some other stuff, ping me :D

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

zxcvbn4038 7 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

Too true - every state lottery was voted in under the guise of supplementing income for education, today nobody knows where the money goes, without a hard fought FOIA request that gets a vague answer, but it’s definitely not going to education in any significant amount.
Just like the toll roads that have continued long after the infrastructure was paid for.
The US waged literal war against narcotics sale and production for decades - just so they could go into business for themselves and maintain an exclusive market.
New York has all but stopped prosecuting prostitution cases - the sex workers are all sweet and innocent people just trying to make an extra buck, the johns can’t help themselves, it’s the evil pimps and madams making money without any sort of state licensing or regulatory oversight! And how do we know people are getting quality sex? They should have to go to school for that and obtain a license. (The last two are a bit of a stretch but the solution to everything in New York is to auction off a limited pool of licenses to operate and create a state agency to oversee the usage of the licenses and issue arbitrary fines whenever the budget falls short)
There are now college professors floating the idea that pedophilia ought to be socially acceptable - they are just misunderstood people that see beyond age or something like that. Maybe all the NAMBLA people were just forty years too early. Of course that will be taxed also, you’ll need a license, and the kid has to get a chicken out of the deal - because that’s how the ancient Greeks did it.
The Federal government will have to find new boogeymen since drugs are legal, terrorists aren’t scary enough by themselves, and communism has too many syllables to hold people’s attention.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

hn thread: sed 's/entertaining/hilarious/g'

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

hn thread: sed 's/entertaining/hilarious/g'

if you find yourself hilarious the notion of a thread title change

mystes
May 31, 2006

fritz posted:

lol

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

fritz posted:

lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

fritz posted:

Some have deemed that "unprofessional", especially management. I am elated to see that this has precedence in print, and shall use this to make my case.
good lord. is this Nedry from Jurassic Park combined with every Monty Python fanatic BOFH

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fritz posted:

This is right up my alley.
I'm known for writing documentation that is useful AND, let's say, entertaining. Or, depending on your inclination, sed 's/entertaining/hilarious/g'
Besides docu and Wiki pages (what unfortunately counts for docu in many companies), I've written man pages and shell scripts with more jokes than a longint can probably count.
Once had a shell script that did something really, really impactful and asked the user in increasingly aggressive prompts if he is sure, then delved into existentialism and how he can even be sure that he is so sure. Another prompted the unfortunate victim to validate that gravity, in fact, still works. Long story.
Oh, I have writing samples available. If anyone wants to hire a guy to write funny manuals or some other stuff, ping me :D

one of the top 3 worst types of guy to work with.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fritz posted:

zxcvbn4038 7 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

Too true - every state lottery was voted in under the guise of supplementing income for education, today nobody knows where the money goes, without a hard fought FOIA request that gets a vague answer, but it’s definitely not going to education in any significant amount.
Just like the toll roads that have continued long after the infrastructure was paid for.
The US waged literal war against narcotics sale and production for decades - just so they could go into business for themselves and maintain an exclusive market.
New York has all but stopped prosecuting prostitution cases - the sex workers are all sweet and innocent people just trying to make an extra buck, the johns can’t help themselves, it’s the evil pimps and madams making money without any sort of state licensing or regulatory oversight! And how do we know people are getting quality sex? They should have to go to school for that and obtain a license. (The last two are a bit of a stretch but the solution to everything in New York is to auction off a limited pool of licenses to operate and create a state agency to oversee the usage of the licenses and issue arbitrary fines whenever the budget falls short)
There are now college professors floating the idea that pedophilia ought to be socially acceptable - they are just misunderstood people that see beyond age or something like that. Maybe all the NAMBLA people were just forty years too early. Of course that will be taxed also, you’ll need a license, and the kid has to get a chicken out of the deal - because that’s how the ancient Greeks did it.
The Federal government will have to find new boogeymen since drugs are legal, terrorists aren’t scary enough by themselves, and communism has too many syllables to hold people’s attention.

average american's political beliefs.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

fritz posted:

I had to read that a couple times but well done.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

post hole digger posted:

one of the top 3 worst types of guy to work with.

there's a very important difference between documentation that is entertaining for the reader and documentation that is entertaining for the author. the former is good. this guy definitely writes the latter

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

Internet Janitor posted:

there's a very important difference between documentation that is entertaining for the reader and documentation that is entertaining for the author. the former is good. this guy definitely writes the latter

is there documentation that is entertaining for the reader? the thought of "fun" documentation just feels like its aiming for the front page of reddit

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

man in the eyeball hat posted:

is there documentation that is entertaining for the reader? the thought of "fun" documentation just feels like its aiming for the front page of reddit

I always appreciate some gallows humor in the sorts of docs that you only get to when things have gone Truly Bad. you know someone’s having a bad day if they’re reading, e.g. the runbook for TooManySimultaneousAlerts or OutgoingPageQueueFull

it’s not entertaining exactly, but a grim chuckle at the right moment can mean a lot to me

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

those old linear technologies datasheets by jim

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Documentation shouldn't try to be entertaining. It should be informative. People are potentially going to be reading your docs looking for concrete information under very stressful circumstances. It's not a good time to be fooling around.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
at the same time, documentation should not be so staid and formal that communication is impeded. i like the postgres docs. technical subjects covered in detail, but with the writer not afraid to use "you" or "we"

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
You can’t put too much water in the nuclear reactor

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

did you never have good teachers in school? education and entertainment aren’t mutually exclusive. there ought to be a word for the hybrid!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
You can never put too much water in the nuclear reactor

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Did no one itt appreciate whys comics to teach ruby? Or the various "learn you some X for great good" language introductions?

Documentation can be fun, entertaining and good. It just requires significantly more talent than writing plain technical prose does so it's "safer" to not try.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

intro docs aren't the same thing as internal playbooks, scripts, and library documentation; pretending they are is disingenuous

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Closer: http://www.pynchon.pomona.edu/uncollected/together.html

(I dont think this is actually technically documentation but ive never been able to find any actual boeing documentation written by pynchon online, only references to it)

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 4, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Achmed Jones posted:

intro docs aren't the same thing as internal playbooks, scripts, and library documentation; pretending they are is disingenuous

there are lots of pieces of documentation that are entertaining. they don’t have to be amusing to be entertaining, just enjoyable. well-indexed, nice layout, comprehensive, consistent, diagrams where helpful, examples of complex cases as well as simple, high-quality translation — all very much properties of enjoyable documentation

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i mean yeah, but that's not at all the same thing as the poignant guide to ruby stuff

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Achmed Jones posted:

i mean yeah, but that's not at all the same thing as the poignant guide to ruby stuff

I agree, that sort of stuff is a small subset of possible entertainment. I’m just responding to the goon text as found unquoted in this thread!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

fair enough!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
When reading documentation I could certainly do with a lot less of what a typical Googleoid considers to be "entertaining"

You work for an ad company, shut the gently caress and show me the alphabetized configuration file reference for Christ's sake

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

astrange 59 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

np this is based on a Twitter joke: https://twitter.com/alexblechman/status/1457842724128833538
But I don’t think this joke works because afaik it’s a reference to: https://hitchhikers.fandom.com/wiki/Total_Perspective_Vortex

And in the book it didn’t work because Zaphod was (rightfully) so egotistical he was immune to it! So it seems the sci-fi author’s moral here is that it’s fine actually.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

rgrieselhuber 8 minutes ago | next [–]

If I were applying to YC again I would be tempted to pitch a private / non-profit prison. I abhor the idea of private prisons but it seems like the only way in our modern society to build a prototype of one that actually treats incarcerated people like human beings.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

phpisthebest 3 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

>>Because wage is all you care for.
yes..
>>How about : maternity leave, paid sick leave, child support, paid vacation days, wage protections, etc. etc.?
I have no children, I will never have children, and I rarely get sick, and I hate to travel so none of that matters to me. I am forced by my employer to take the vacation I do get, and my "vacation" is me sitting around my house doing chores or gaming which I do with out vacation time as well
That is the problem with Unions, they often fight for things I do not care about or need. Majoritarianism is always bad for the smallest minority... the individual
>>That also means that I cannot be forced to work overtime with no overtime pay.
Has a highly compensated employee that knows their value to the organizations I work for I have never been forced for work overtime with no pay.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

drat get a load of that fuckin scab

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

fritz posted:

rgrieselhuber 8 minutes ago | next [–]

If I were applying to YC again I would be tempted to pitch a private / non-profit prison. I abhor the idea of private prisons but it seems like the only way in our modern society to build a prototype of one that actually treats incarcerated people like human beings.

these guys’ approach to solving big problems is always to combine them with other, worse problems. automated manufacturing will be easy once we are doing it on mars. self driving will be easy once we upgrade all our roads. twitter will be easy to maintain once we rearchitect all these micro services.

prison cruelty will be easy once we have venture capital backing

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

"what about your work life balance" not working very well on loser who has no life, who could've imagined

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fritz posted:

phpisthebest 3 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

>>Because wage is all you care for.
yes..
>>How about : maternity leave, paid sick leave, child support, paid vacation days, wage protections, etc. etc.?
I have no children, I will never have children, and I rarely get sick, and I hate to travel so none of that matters to me. I am forced by my employer to take the vacation I do get, and my "vacation" is me sitting around my house doing chores or gaming which I do with out vacation time as well
That is the problem with Unions, they often fight for things I do not care about or need. Majoritarianism is always bad for the smallest minority... the individual
>>That also means that I cannot be forced to work overtime with no overtime pay.
Has a highly compensated employee that knows their value to the organizations I work for I have never been forced for work overtime with no pay.

that guy would think php is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

> phpisthebest

e;fb