Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

not caring here posted:

I thought that was Elon

Elon is the one creating suicidal apes after blasting their brains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mr. Nice! posted:

According to right wing conspiracies, Fauci had dogs tortured with their heads in boxes full of biting flies for research.

I feel stupider for knowing this. I really should know better by now.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

not caring here posted:

I thought that was Elon

I thought that was Oz.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
House Speaker vote is currently ongoing. McCarthy is already not going to win on the first ballot (but that was expected). He is, however, already losing by somewhat more than expected.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lol. The cheering when Jeffries gets a vote. Lmao.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Lol. The cheering when Jeffries gets a vote. Lmao.

It was Jeffries turn to vote. That's why they were cheering him.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

What are the realistic outcomes? Since there is talk of multiple votes I guess you need a majority, and I assume none of the dissenters will be voting Polosi. So they just keep doing votes until they convince enough?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Xenoborg posted:

What are the realistic outcomes? Since there is talk of multiple votes I guess you need a majority, and I assume none of the dissenters will be voting Polosi. So they just keep doing votes until they convince enough?

Just for your information, none of the Democrats will be voting for Pelosi, either. Hakeem Jeffries is Pelosi's successor as the leader of the Democrats in the House.

The usual rule of thumb is that a frontrunner failing to win a majority only gets weaker as the voting goes on. If McCarthy doesn't become speaker in the first vote, then there's a high likelihood that he won't become speaker at all.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Consensus thinks McCarthy will eventually pull out the Speakership but he's so weakly supported there's no telling how many ballots will be needed to get to that point or under what conditions/deals will be put in place in order to get there.

All of which will determine how much pain McCarthy will experience over the next 2 years.

Also note that the House can't do jack poo poo until they get a Speaker.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Is there any possibility that the Democratic caucus can cut a deal with a moderate Republican?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Thwomp posted:

Consensus thinks McCarthy will eventually pull out the Speakership but he's so weakly supported there's no telling how many ballots will be needed to get to that point or under what conditions/deals will be put in place in order to get there.

All of which will determine how much pain McCarthy will experience over the next 2 years.

Its really not suprising too, McCarthy was a terrible minority leader unable to keep his party inline, and he thought making deals with the devil would save his rear end.

Nope.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Is there any possibility that the Democratic caucus can cut a deal with a moderate Republican?

Not really, there's like...30 "moderates" in there now? The rest are almost all hard GOP Party Liners closer to MAGA/Q sorts.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Stultus Maximus posted:

You would need a moderate Republican.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Thwomp posted:

Wasn’t there talk of some kind of centrist candidate peeling support from Dems for a super weak hybrid speaker?

Remember the Speaker of the House does not have to be an elected congressperson. In theory we could see votes for Obama, Trump, and JEB!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Stultus Maximus posted:

Probably about as likely as the non-Freedom Caucus Republicans cutting a deal with conservative Democrats. It's always a possibility, but pretty unlikely.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The freedom caucus could always win and Biggs gets the votes eventually.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Thwomp posted:

House Speaker vote is currently ongoing. McCarthy is already not going to win on the first ballot (but that was expected). He is, however, already losing by somewhat more than expected.

I saw an article this morning that said the 4-6 vote "deficit" McCarthy needed to overcome was really looking like a 20+ vote "deficit".

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Zamujasa posted:

You'd need 3 moderate 'R's who would almost certainly get primaried in the next election. See: Cheney, L.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ASAPI posted:

I saw an article this morning that said the 4-6 vote "deficit" McCarthy needed to overcome was really looking like a 20+ vote "deficit".

There are currently 19 republicans that have voted against him with a good bit left to go.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Thwomp posted:

You'd need 3 moderate 'R's who would almost certainly get primaried in the next election. See: Cheney, L.

Cheney was not a moderate. Just a right wing member of the party opposed to Trump.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Zamujasa posted:

You aren't kidding. The few names I had in mind all got primaried or retired.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
The republicans aren't loyal opposition any more. Just keep that in mind going forward.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Doesn't seem to be going well for the GOP Majority

quote:

BREAKING: *Hakeem Jeffries*, the House Minority Leader, has just had more votes than:

• Kevin McCarthy
• Andy Biggs
• Jim Jordan

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1610346889857097729?t=G9ZDUMBXb1aAJGC8xNC6hg&s=19

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Doesn't seem to be going well for the GOP Majority

*Gym Jordan

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Zamujasa posted:

Closest thing is the ~4 NY Republicans that are sitting in Biden districts that know they're toast in 2024 if the House goes full chud. Won't really happen, no such thing as a "moderate" Republican anymore and the closest thing resides in the Senate, not the House.

edit: it's very Democrat to look at the clusterfuck (McCarthy lost his second vote) and decide "HMM BORED NOW I COULD BE OFF RAISING MONEY"

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1610363730050572288

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 3, 2023

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

Closest thing is the ~4 NY Republicans that are sitting in Biden districts that know they're toast in 2024 if the House goes full chud. Won't really happen, no such thing as a "moderate" Republican anymore and the closest thing resides in the Senate, not the House.

edit: it's very Democrat to look at the clusterfuck (McCarthy lost his second vote) and decide "HMM BORED NOW I COULD BE OFF RAISING MONEY"

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1610363730050572288

if dems don’t show up doesn’t they reduce the vote count needed to win?

also lol at this list:
https://history.house.gov/People/Office/Speakers-Multiple-Ballots/
hope we’re more like 1924 than the two before that, didn’t lead to great years. not that 1924’s long term was bright either.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

In case anyone thought that Santos' troubles have been resolved/swept under the rug, he is wanted in Brazil for check fraud.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/george-santos-face-check-fraud-charges-brazil/story?id=96093809

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ASAPI posted:

In case anyone thought that Santos' troubles have been resolved/swept under the rug, he is wanted in Brazil for check fraud.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/george-santos-face-check-fraud-charges-brazil/story?id=96093809

I doubt that we're going to extradite a sitting Congressman on Brazilian check fraud charges.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Stultus Maximus posted:

I doubt that we're going to extradite a sitting Congressman on Brazilian check fraud charges.

Why? Is there immunity? Who makes that determination if not, Justice or State I would assume? Dems will probably force the GOP to go on record to support or kick him out of they are smart.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

quote:

BREAKING NEWS: #KevinMcCarthy has just lost the THIRD vote for Speaker. House Republican chaos continues.

The third time is not a charm.

Yeah, I don't think Kevin is getting it. Dude sold his soul and can't even get a successful speaker vote.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Doesn't he remain a representative, regardless of criminal status, so long as his home state doesn't recall him?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

Doesn't he remain a representative, regardless of criminal status, so long as his home state doesn't recall him?

Pretty sure that's how it works. Dude is already neck deep in lies and misleading info, this is only a drop in the bucket.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
What happens if it really does turn out that he's not an American citizen?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Torrannor posted:

What happens if it really does turn out that he's not an American citizen?

Currently, he's elected and that's that. The election happened and can't be undone.

Now if it's confirmed that he lied about that and hasn't been a citizen for seven years, the cleanest thing is an expulsion vote through the House of Representatives, as they can chuck any member they want to with a 2/3rds vote. Democrats would love that, but as you've seen with McCarthy's trouble - that would essentially drop the Republican defection number from 5 to 4.

Lawsuits would probably end up being brand new law and a legal clusterfuck - I'm not aware of a judicial thing dealing with citizenship, as the Supreme Court hasn't technically defined what citizenship even is yet as I'm not aware of case law (automatic as long as one parent is a citizen? need both parents as citizens? automatic of born on US soil, regardless of parents?).

edit: lol, a vote to vote tomorrow https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1610402014583816192

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/Mobute/status/1610401385232605184?s=20

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

facialimpediment posted:

Currently, he's elected and that's that. The election happened and can't be undone.

Now if it's confirmed that he lied about that and hasn't been a citizen for seven years, the cleanest thing is an expulsion vote through the House of Representatives, as they can chuck any member they want to with a 2/3rds vote. Democrats would love that, but as you've seen with McCarthy's trouble - that would essentially drop the Republican defection number from 5 to 4.

Lawsuits would probably end up being brand new law and a legal clusterfuck - I'm not aware of a judicial thing dealing with citizenship, as the Supreme Court hasn't technically defined what citizenship even is yet as I'm not aware of case law (automatic as long as one parent is a citizen? need both parents as citizens? automatic of born on US soil, regardless of parents?).

edit: lol, a vote to vote tomorrow https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1610402014583816192

Has the GOP considered ranked choice voting?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1610354619179466752

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Has Twitter died completely? None of those links are opening in-app now

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Nystral posted:

Remember the Speaker of the House does not have to be an elected congressperson. In theory we could see votes for Obama, Trump, and JEB!
...Ahhnold for Speaker? Not sure if I'm serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Change the constitution so naturalized citizens can be president, embrace the Demolition Man future