Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Escape From Noise posted:

So now there's mystery liquid all over the floor with rock salt scattered in a certain area

Drink the mystery crunchy liquid. Drink it!

Driiiiiiiiiiiink it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Stoatbringer posted:

Drink the mystery crunchy liquid. Drink it!

Driiiiiiiiiiiink it!

<two weeks later>

I'm tired of this Company, these coworkers. I'm tired of being caught in the tangle of their little org charts.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

So that's how I join The Society.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lol. WTF? Was their strategy something like "Well if they get far enough into it they'll probably just choose to follow through!" or what?

Once the recruiter has gotten you to sign, their job is done. It's up to the company to deal with their bullshit now, not them. That's pretty much how I see the process going.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I got my previous job in a scientific incubator owned by a local university, and found that the company was a sea of waving red flags from the jump, had lost all of the c-suite staff except the ceo, and was still hemorrhaging staff

I finally got an offer from another company, and it happens to be in the same building(at first i was concerned, now i am jazzed about ot) but the level of scientific rigor with this new company is so much higher, oh my god

Seeing their data retention system, their batch records, their SOPs, has been really reassuring

I should not be relieved that a professional company does not use loving dropbox as their file storage solution, like my last gig did

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

champagne posting posted:

Update: I will not be contracting through that company. It seemed shady af and when a sales person seems shady they probably are. Long weekend for me I guess :v:

Probably best not to ignore the red flags tbh, last time I did that I ended up working for a literal cult.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

cynic posted:

Probably best not to ignore the red flags tbh, last time I did that I ended up working for a literal cult.

And honestly, not the worst place I've ever worked, although definitely the whitest most racist place I've ever worked (even the trucking company I temped at back in the 00s was more progressive). My wife is not-caucasian and my team leader used the relevant slur a few times :stare:

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Volmarias posted:

Once the recruiter has gotten you to sign, their job is done. It's up to the company to deal with their bullshit now, not them. That's pretty much how I see the process going.

That's not how my recruiters work but they also make tons of money from me because they get 100% of my repeat business

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

The worst place I ever worked was one where I had to deal with CSAM/child abuse cases and the entire team was deeply, deeply mentally ill and traumatized because we didn't get any mental health support at all. I've never worked at a place that was more dysfunctional and abusive and I think I managed maybe 2 months before walking out.

Looking back on it, the various coping mechanisms people had were all kind of fascinating though;

One guy used food - 12 chicken drumsticks (skin-on) for a morning snack, triple McDonalds for lunch

Another used sex, every lunch time he would go out to the local underpass and have wild sex with strangers for a solid hour (and he always reported back all the gruesome details to me since I sat next to him)

One lady was hyper-religious; prayer booklets on your chair in the morning, offers to lead the whole team in prayer every lunch time

The team leader just pretended we didn't just spend the whole day dealing with the most horrible situations possible. Couldn't tolerate filth, hair always perfect, kept multiple brushes for his suit in a draw, made real drat sure he never got a glance at any of the files we were dealing with. Definitely got my vote for most likely to shoot up the office.

Everyone else just drank very, very heavily.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

rotinaj posted:

I got my previous job in a scientific incubator owned by a local university

my brother did that after he left that drug factory, except it was partnered with/allowed to use certain facilities of a national lab rather than a university,

rotinaj posted:

and found that the company was a sea of waving red flags from the jump, had lost all of the c-suite staff except the ceo, and was still hemorrhaging staff

sounds about right, spot-on in fact

the c-suite staff that all hemorrhaged right after he got there were alumni of that national lab who had developed some stuff with nanoparticles that just clearly wasn't going to pan out and they knew it, but they hooked that CEO and a bunch of investors in then bought Teslas with the CEO then bounced when all the production and testing was constantly inconsistent and didn't reproduce or scale well

did the CEO spend a bunch of "his" money on a Tesla Model X and brag about it to everyone

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 4, 2023

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

cynic posted:

The worst place I ever worked was one where I had to deal with CSAM/child abuse cases and the entire team was deeply, deeply mentally ill and traumatized because we didn't get any mental health support at all.

That's loving awful and I hope you're doing better now fellow goon

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

AceClown posted:

That's loving awful and I hope you're doing better now fellow goon

It was around 25 years ago, and I love my current job & company, I just post here because I've worked at so many terrible places I have a bottomless pit of lovely company anecdotes.

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

cynic posted:

The worst place I ever worked was one where I had to deal with CSAM/child abuse cases and the entire team was deeply, deeply mentally ill and traumatized because we didn't get any mental health support at all. I've never worked at a place that was more dysfunctional and abusive and I think I managed maybe 2 months before walking out.

Way back in our early dating days, my husband took a temp job auditing state files for Child abuse foster cases, basically seeing if there was any more services kids might need based on their case files so they could direct the appropriate funding that way. The first day, he came home, and I held him for half an hour as he cried. It was horrible, it didn't get better, and he was let go from that contract after 6 months because they were too effective and efficient at finding gaps and reporting them.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

The restaurant manager finally got someone to clean up the cold room. Only took 5 or 6 days. He was so proud he sent me a picture.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

The restaurant manager finally got someone to clean up the cold room. Only took 5 or 6 days. He was so proud he sent me a picture.

lmao incredible lovely husband "look I did the dishes, please heap praise on me" energy

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

AceClown posted:

lmao incredible lovely husband "look I did the dishes, please heap praise on me" energy

I thanked the guy who did the actual cleaning. He said it involved cleaning up coagulated blood from the meat off the lid of a freezer. Also, once again, the restaurant manager tapped a keg wrong and it leaked all over the floor for an entire day or whatever. Just amazing stuff.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

have you considered seeking employment at a facility that isn't poo poo?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

tater_salad posted:

have you considered seeking employment at a facility that isn't poo poo?

The facility is fine. I keep the brewery very clean. The restaurant? Not so much. I'm always looking but I don't see anything else coming up for a while and I'm not about to jumb ship with my visa up for renewal. Gonna have to hang tight for a bit.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrQwerty posted:

did the CEO spend a bunch of "his" money on a Tesla Model X and brag about it to everyone

Nah, this one even drives a car that looks normal, to try to make us think he wasn't just skimming off however much he can get away with

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I've worked at four or five restaurant/bars, and all bar one were chaos factories. The industry seems to attract the sort of people who have trouble with puzzles rated ages 8 and up, and those people tend to stick around until the Peter principal workers it's dark magic.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've never worked in a restaurant, but my casual listening to Me. Bourdain's audiobooks have led me to believe all restaurants are indeed chaos factories and all gastronomy workers are drug addicted wrecks.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

COPE 27 posted:

That's not how my recruiters work but they also make tons of money from me because they get 100% of my repeat business

Depends on the incentive I suppose. I know the typical model is "recruiter is paid 3m candidate salary if they stay for a year" but it's totally possible that once you're "hired" you're just a number for their manager's monthly report with no follow up tracking.

cynic posted:

every lunch time he would go out to the local underpass and have wild sex with strangers for a solid hour

My goodness, that's awful! Where was this underpass, I want to know so I can avoid it!

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
As an occasional restaraunt worker, I can confirm it is indeed a chaos generator. I have no idea why I still enjoy it as much as I do, masochism maybe.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

DreadUnknown posted:

As an occasional restaraunt worker, I can confirm it is indeed a chaos generator. I have no idea why I still enjoy it as much as I do, masochism maybe.

A slow-motion car wreck is undeniably interesting to a lot of people. A certain type of person may consider the observational experience enhanced from inside the vehicle.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

It is deader than disco in the office yet somehow I get bugged for stuff nonstop during my 30 minute off-the-clock lunch break. Where were y'all an hour ago?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

A few months back I inherited a supplier from a co-worker that left the company and they had a problem: Our internal review team was rejecting one of their inspections over standard, unchangeable statements on the purchase order (which shouldn't have been a part of the review in the first place) and completely holding up shipments. They had been stuck in this situation for months because my co-worker had, instead of just explaining the situation, attempted to get the standard text on all purchase orders re-written to make our reviewer happy. I got everything straightened out almost immediately and thought that we would be good to go. That was October. Since then the entire quality team has failed or refused to respond to me, the vendor or the internal program management team on when the review will be done, just dragging their heels on the review without explaining why or giving any sign there's progress. I've been saving all my emails to the quality team, with all the major players included on them, in case finger pointing started because this felt like a situation that was destined to go sideways.

I got a call yesterday from a delivery assurance person explaining that because the review was taking so long (it's been in process since JULY) they had to shut down the production line for the assemblies using the part and lay off a bunch of people until they had material again. When I sent this person the history of no-response emails I had been saving up she shot it to the VP of Operations and they jumped on the email chain. Only then did the quality person even acknowledge he had this assigned to him and reviewed everything he needed to in an afternoon. What. The. gently caress.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

I brought my Drake posted:

It is deader than disco in the office yet somehow I get bugged for stuff nonstop during my 30 minute off-the-clock lunch break. Where were y'all an hour ago?

I had this problem at my last job, where it was just easier to eat at your desk. Between my boss and my coworkers coming to me constantly for dumb poo poo I wound up fleeing to an abandoned section of the hospital basement to eat my lunch. No wifi there, I went through the whole Witcher series and Wheel of Time before I quit lol

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lazyfire posted:

Only then did the quality person even acknowledge he had this assigned to him and reviewed everything he needed to in an afternoon. What. The. gently caress.

My gut response as a stranger across the internet? This is textbook fiefdom building and someone getting in a pissing contest turf war. The inspectors decided to try and be big dogs over the text, and the reason the previous guy was getting poo poo re-written was probably because he had a bit of knowledge that the people involved in this were petty warlords of the inspector guild and that it would ultimately be faster and easier to just get it done their way.

And you know what? If that senior VP doens't come down like the fist of an angry god and root out the problem, they won. Everyone now knows that it's way easier and faster to just jump through their bullshit hoop than try to fight them over it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
You mean everyone now knows that next time they have to CC the VP.

Or BCC the VP if you're looking for some petty drama.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Someone on my team occasionally BCCs me into stuff and I keep telling him that even doing that once makes me never want to trust him with anything ever again, it’s just the worst

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

Scientastic posted:

Someone on my team occasionally BCCs me into stuff and I keep telling him that even doing that once makes me never want to trust him with anything ever again, it’s just the worst

How do you feel about forwarded emails

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Scientastic posted:

It's useful when you're dealing with someone who's already proven they're untrustworthy human garbage.

I occasionally use it when dealing with government departments and other people in my team need to know what's going on, for example.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

One legit use I've found for BCC is when removing someone from an email chain, as a way to include them in a final email but exclude them from any reply-all follow-up.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

they had to shut down the production line for the assemblies using the part and lay off a bunch of people until they had material again. When I sent this person the history of no-response emails I had been saving up she shot it to the VP of Operations and they jumped on the email chain. Only then did the quality person even acknowledge he had this assigned to him and reviewed everything he needed to in an afternoon. What. The. gently caress.

Let those people know who to be mad at they lost their jobs. He should lose his.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Neco posted:

How do you feel about forwarded emails

This is the first time I’ve heard anyone comparing the two, and you’re right, it’s pretty much the same thing, but it feels very different. I guess forwarding depends on context, where BCC is always feels sneaky and like they’re grassing someone up

Maybe if this guy weren’t BCCing me for the explicit purpose of snitching, I’d feel differently

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I use forward when someone needs the attachments because reply doesn't preserve attachments

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER

Machai posted:

Let those people know who to be mad at they lost their jobs. He should lose his.

Production workers aren't people

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Cyrano4747 posted:

My gut response as a stranger across the internet? This is textbook fiefdom building and someone getting in a pissing contest turf war. The inspectors decided to try and be big dogs over the text, and the reason the previous guy was getting poo poo re-written was probably because he had a bit of knowledge that the people involved in this were petty warlords of the inspector guild and that it would ultimately be faster and easier to just get it done their way.

And you know what? If that senior VP doens't come down like the fist of an angry god and root out the problem, they won. Everyone now knows that it's way easier and faster to just jump through their bullshit hoop than try to fight them over it.

Quality has been crying that they're overworked and understaffed for the better part of the last year. We've for sure given them a ton to deal with as we're transitioning a bunch of parts around to try and get favorable deals and because we had to completely exit Russia after sticking a bunch of production there a few years back. If the "Quality person completely ignores everyone until an executive gets involved" thing hadn't happened to me before I would just say this particular person was just ignoring requests, but I'm starting to think there is a management fight behind the scenes where the Quality people are being told to go ahead and ignore requests from outside the department and work specific issues. I'll know more once I move to my new role.

Machai posted:

According to our company's latest initiatives the purchasing person responsible for a vendor (me) is the one that needs to drive stuff like this to close. Clearly, that's not effective and we told the Commodity Manager who presented the new structure to us it wouldn't work, but here we are.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Sole remaining person in my previous team who has any experience or technical knowledge regarding the L1 helpdesk support for our entire 10k+ employee organisation's data warehouse is not only on the way out within the next month, but he has been explicitly instructed (with 2 talking-tos for not doing so already) to ignore all requests that come through the level 1 helpdesk until they are 3 days old, even it it's a super easy enquiry that literally requires him to forward a canned response that will take 10 seconds to email.

His priority is to write up instructional guides and taskcards for the technical stuff.

The reason why this is happening is that every one of the 5 people who have been in that team since last August under my previous manager has left or had a transfer out of the team confirmed. The only thing stopping my manager from being a team of 1 person is that they managed to get a new person onboard. This person has been transferred against their will, is not interested in the work in question, and is on leave until Feb which is likely to be after my former team-mate has left. Former manager has zero technical understanding, the L1 helpdesk for our data warehouse is basically going to be a new guy with instruction guides that were written by people who left before he joined, with zero crossover/direct mentoring.

Breetai fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Sounds like a perfect time to implement a new warehouse.