Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

MacheteZombie posted:

Evil dead 1 is closer to ed13 than ed2. Ed1 is mean as gently caress

Probably has something to do with why my rating is ED2 > AoD > ED2013 > ED1

Evil Dead is really a couple of duologies at this point. You have the legit horror side with a bit of absurd humor and then you have the zany side with action and horror trappings. That's cool. There's nothing wrong with liking one over the other, but I like the ED2/AoD side more than the ED2013/ED1 side, and Rise looks like it's firmly in that second tradition. Poor poor me, but there's an audience for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah it peaked a while back. I couldn't really get through that blacklist script one, the unbearable weight of talent whatever whatever.
It's the same sort of arc with Bill Murray where everyone observes Murray is fun and in things people like and it just leads to the corniness of Zombieland where the "joke" is just Hey it's Bill Murray.

the difference is one is a way better talent than the other

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Hey this Renfield movie look fun-- oh Awkwafina nvm

BonoMan posted:

Spoilers for the reveal in that trailer:
I also hate it when actors that have fun with roles continue to get work. what a drag

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Man, the second half, after Renfield eats the bug and gets super powers ruined it for me. It seemed like a neat little dark comedy (even if it's aping a bit of Guillermo's scenes from What we Do In the Shadows).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FilthyImp posted:

Hey this Renfield movie look fun-- oh Awkwafina nvm

I also hate it when actors that have fun with roles continue to get work. what a drag

I literally said not that I don't want him movies, just that the novelty of "oh hey it's nic cage lol!" gimmick has worn off.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
nic cage and keanu reeves are both actors that trailer editors think qualify as a twist just by showing up

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Now I want to see Cage and Keanu in a movie together.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

AceOfFlames posted:

Now I want to see Cage and Keanu in a movie together.

John Wick: Face Off 2!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BonoMan posted:

I literally said
Yeah but some actors just kind of have *that*.

Oh look it's Jim Carrey/Jack Nicholson/The Rock.

And at the very least it's not another cardboard generic dude in a film being mediocre.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

FilthyImp posted:

And at the very least it's not another cardboard generic dude in a film being mediocre.

Yeah, a Nic Cage movie isn't always good, but a Nic Cage performance is always interesting, which is more than you can say for a lot of actors. So I'll always welcome him.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

the difference is one is a way better talent than the other
Nick Cage definitely is and he's only recently gotten so self referential. I guess he's just in a lot of stuff, some good, some bad, some whatever.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FilthyImp posted:

I am not tired of Nic Cage. This has nothing to do with him or his performances. More of the marketing of him since his revival has really seemed to lean into "Bet you didn't expect.... NIC CAGE!" and I feel like the shine of that gimmick has worn off.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
As long as Cage makes a Pig every once in a while I'm willing to accept however many ridiculous "I'm Nic Cage" movies he wants to do.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh yeah I def don't want him to go away. Maybe just be more selective? Is he still paying off houses???

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BonoMan posted:

More of the marketing of him since his revival has really seemed to lean into "Bet you didn't expect.... NIC CAGE!" and I feel like the shine of that gimmick has worn off.

Other than the Massive Talent movie and Renfield's marketing, what else has done this?

What even counts as the Nic Cage revival anyway? A quick scan of his filmography shows he's gotten around one good movie in a year since 2013.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 5, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I literally watch Evil Dead 2 every year so put this condescending attitude in the trash, please.

You're not going to somehow convince me that Evil Dead 2 is the same type of film as Evil Dead 2013; even the people I know who like it freely admit "it's different but good" and it isn't the budget that gives Evil Dead 2 its very unique tone. I've already given an example of what happens to hillbilly Jake - which didn't involve Campbell mugging at all - and I could probably come up with a few more, but you're going to sit here and try to justify Evil Dead's new direction as somehow being hidden in the original movies and tv series that we all somehow didn't notice. You can just say you like the new direction, dude. We don't care.

Yeah I said evil dead not evil dead 2 homie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MacheteZombie posted:

Evil dead 1 is closer to ed13 than ed2. Ed1 is mean as gently caress

This is what I was getting at. I think evil dead the franchise is not just silly slapstick and Bruce Campbell being goofy. There’s more to it and I think people miss it. Even Evil Dead 2 has moments of hosed up horror moments that aren’t comedic

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Other than the Massive Talent movie and Renfield's marketing, what else has done this?

What even counts as the Nic Cage revival anyway? A quick scan of his filmography shows he's gotten around one good movie in a year since 2013.

I think everything since Mandy is the current Nic Cage revival.

And I don't know, I'm not currently in a place to go review the marketing material so it could just be a feeling I'm misplacing. But it feels like since Mandy, every discussion about a Nic Cage film has been draped in this Nicolas Cage Renaissance cape talk and the reveal in that trailer feels very "SEEEE! It's NIC CAGE!" and I'm just like "ok... done with that."

https://www.google.com/search?q=nicolas+cage+renaissance&oq=nic+cage+renai&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0i10i22i30.2824j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Yeah at this point he's just a Hollywood institution. He's been the most favored crazy guy for decades

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I mean, wasn't it kind of the same when Travolta did Pulp Fiction and suddenly people remembered he could be good?

Maybe it's a shade of personal bias at being burned out with his films, since he financially needed to take on a lot of work in recent times?

Maybe I'm also nonplussed because the Renfield trailer's thumbnail has Nick Cage above Hoult so it's less of a 'oh poo poo Nic Cage' and more 'heh Nick Cage as Dracula'

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Btw I'm not trying to be rude to the OP regarding the Nic Cage thing, I do agree he's overexposed sometimes but, for instance, I remembered his big old forehead on a Bangkok Dangerous billboard and I looked it up...that's from 2008, lol. 15 years ago.

At this point he's been around forever, there's probably 15 movies with posters of Nic Cage wearing a nice suit with dark tie staring intensely into the camera with names like "The Mourning" or "A Father Too Far" so Cage Fatigue is definitely a thing. I'm not debating that at all. But I've just never got the "Surprise! It's Nic Cage!" thing.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Btw I'm not trying to be rude to the OP regarding the Nic Cage thing, I do agree he's overexposed sometimes but, for instance, I remembered his big old forehead on a Bangkok Dangerous billboard and I looked it up...that's from 2008, lol. 15 years ago.

At this point he's been around forever, there's probably 15 movies with posters of Nic Cage wearing a nice suit with dark tie staring intensely into the camera with names like "The Mourning" or "A Father Too Far" so Cage Fatigue is definitely a thing. I'm not debating that at all. But I've just never got the "Surprise! It's Nic Cage!" thing.

I didn't think you were being rude at all.

And yes Nic Cage has been around forever, but he definitely dipped into "not even kind of fun" lovely movies for a while (where Bruce Willis - even pre-illness - and Travolta etc still reside). With Mandy he re-emerged into the "actually this is kind of good-good not just bad-but-fun-good" ethos. Since then I feel like every movie with Nic Cage is couched in the "wow I'm loving this Nic Cage renaissance!" discussion (hence that link I posted earlier) and *that* is the part that has gotten tiring for me.

As for this latest trailer I wasn't saying that there are literally lots of "surprise it's Nic Cage!" twists in his trailers. Just that that particular reveal felt like it was playing right into the over-baked Nic Cage Renaissance stuff I refer in the sentence above. "Hey we know you love Nic Cage so how about WACKY DRACULA NIC CAGE!"

But it's whatev. I love Nic Cage for what it's worth and actually do love the resurgence he's having. I just thought that reveal was groan worthy.

And lastly, this isn't even a big deal lol. I feel like my attempt to overexplain it made it seemed like I care much more about it then I really do!

So, in conclusion: Have some Nic Cage Trick Shots!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4jNjASp5m4

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BonoMan posted:

And lastly, this isn't even a big deal lol. I feel like my attempt to overexplain it made it seemed like I care much more about it then I really do!

Curse of the Internet, my friend!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The first film in the "nic cage owns" Renaissance was Bad Lieutenant, not Mandy

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Bad Lieutenant rules, but there’s a pretty long gap between it and this recent batch of good movies.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

During that time, he was often putting in performances that were being praised, even in exceedingly negative reviews - case in point Ebert having a right go at Kick-rear end, but taking the time to praise his performance.

I guess if there's one thing that we should be able to agree on is that he never half-assed it, even during the years where his movies were treated as a joke.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bugblatter posted:

Bad Lieutenant rules, but there’s a pretty long gap between it and this recent batch of good movies.

Not really? Mom and Dad and Mandy were just 2 years later

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Cage is an enormous comic nerd so the idea of him doing Kick-rear end just for like a paycheck or not giving a gently caress is hilarious to me.

Yeah poo poo God bad for him with his money problems there.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

precision posted:

Not really? Mom and Dad and Mandy were just 2 years later

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

There are a few movies looking back in the gap between these (Joe, Drive Angry) that are worth revisiting but yeah it was a solid half-decade where 95% of his output was poo poo. The “paying back the IRS” years. He’s both able to be more discerning and his rep has had a reevaluation in the time since then?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Check out some nic cage clips from Vampires kiss. I want all of that energy in this new one.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Full trailer for Netflix's "You People."

It's just as trope-y as I thought it would be, but it does have a stacked cast so... mayyybe it'll be at least a little funny? Probably not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCMHc-IFAB0&t=1s

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Look, time is hard

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I was sold the minute Cage said his portrayal of Dracula was mainly influenced by Gabriel in Malignant.

Nothing in the trailer made me laugh though. :shrug:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Trust with Elijah Wood was a good movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLspHA8m6Ac

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

You know now that the Evil Dead Rise trailer finally dropped there's only one question that remains: where the gently caress is the Toxic Avenger remake trailer? :argh:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I didn’t even realize it was Nicolas cage

I was just amazed that they found a guy who looked like the Christopher Lee Dracula from some angles and was wondering who it was

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BonoMan posted:

Full trailer for Netflix's "You People."

It's just as trope-y as I thought it would be, but it does have a stacked cast so... mayyybe it'll be at least a little funny? Probably not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCMHc-IFAB0&t=1s

Eddie Murphy's character seems pretty anti-semittic.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Alhazred posted:

Eddie Murphy's character seems pretty anti-semittic.

A black anti-semite? Seems farfetched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Vintersorg posted:

The Trust with Elijah Wood was a good movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLspHA8m6Ac

yeah that is solid