Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

post hole digger posted:

i use pixelmator pro on mac its pretty good. i wish i bought the mobile version before it went subscription tho :gonk:

lol oh poo poo i didn't know it's a sub now

i would not pay for the sub. i bought it when it was $10 i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

yeah, i didn't realize pro was sub, dang. i think i bought it on my old mba, but i use the regular pixelmator more on my ipad and my desktop is windows so it was kind of a wasted purchase when i switched to affinity. they still maintain the ios pixelmator but it's more feature compatibility with their other apps than feature additions

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

nah im just mixing up their products. it looks like "pixelmator" and "pixelmator pro" are still one-time price, but "pixelmator photo" is the one that switched to subscription, although I think they did grandfather in existing owners of the product.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Agile Vector posted:

yeah, i didn't realize pro was sub, dang. i think i bought it on my old mba, but i use the regular pixelmator more on my ipad and my desktop is windows so it was kind of a wasted purchase when i switched to affinity. they still maintain the ios pixelmator but it's more feature compatibility with their other apps than feature additions

yeah i don't even remember the last time it got a feature update, maybe when they added filesystem support?

it was a pretty good deal for the time but i'd probably go for the affinity stuff these days. i don't really have a need for it though since my haphazard melange of tools worksforme

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

post hole digger posted:

nah im just mixing up their products. it looks like "pixelmator" and "pixelmator pro" are still one-time price, but "pixelmator photo" is the one that switched to subscription, although I think they did grandfather in existing owners of the product.

also probably. i think pixelmator photo was like $2.99 when i bought it because it had just been released

again, would not pay for a sub lol. it's pretty good but i wouldn't pay monthly or whatever

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I use and like the Affinity ones, they go on sale pretty often too

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Beeftweeter posted:

also probably. i think pixelmator photo was like $2.99 when i bought it because it had just been released

again, would not pay for a sub lol. it's pretty good but i wouldn't pay monthly or whatever

oh, yeah, if that's the case for photo i'm also grandfathered in. as much as i like it i probably wouldn't sub because apple's own tweaking ui is fine for quick snaps

this whole thing reminded me i still have a lightroom sub for when i used to do some side work. i gotta do some cleaning

edit: photo does use icloud for syncing, which is really handy and cuts out the whole adobe cloud trap lightroom has. it made it easy to access modified photos on any of my devices without the app

edit edit: and photo has simplified ML tools like scaling, noise removal, and color matching. it's not topaz-level tweakable, but they seem to update and refine the models so it's still getting features for the price

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 4, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

graph posted:

so now that adobe finally admits it steals all your poo poo for its algorithms, what are some alternatives you know of or actively use?

i recall pixelmator being used as a photoshop replacement

piracy solves many problems here

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

affinity owns bones esp for the price

still on sale thru jan iirc

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Agile Vector posted:

oh, yeah, if that's the case for photo i'm also grandfathered in. as much as i like it i probably wouldn't sub because apple's own tweaking ui is fine for quick snaps

this whole thing reminded me i still have a lightroom sub for when i used to do some side work. i gotta do some cleaning

edit: photo does use icloud for syncing, which is really handy and cuts out the whole adobe cloud trap lightroom has. it made it easy to access modified photos on any of my devices without the app

edit edit: and photo has simplified ML tools like scaling, noise removal, and color matching. it's not topaz-level tweakable, but they seem to update and refine the models so it's still getting features for the price

yeah, it's pretty good but i'd hesitate to call it great. like i said there's a couple of features missing that i'd really like to see, though with my workflow they're not necessary i guess. i'm leeching off of my wife's adobe sub so i use it in conjunction with lightroom on ipad quite a bit

imo a decent free alternative to using it for the stuff pixelmator photo is missing is google snapseed

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i might have to buy affinity. i want their publishing software.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i didn't know snapseed was still around! i used to use it way back, i'm not sure why i stopped?

DX24TB1
Dec 30, 2022

graph posted:

so now that adobe finally admits it steals all your poo poo for its algorithms, what are some alternatives you know of or actively use?

Not at all surprised. Can’t find the exact source though, only able to find page after page of endless sales and features crap.

Care to share?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Agile Vector posted:

i didn't know snapseed was still around! i used to use it way back, i'm not sure why i stopped?

hidden gem imo. it works really well

pretty much the only thing it can't do is chromatic aberration correction

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol that googles abandonware is better than their actively developed photo app, probably because nobody can get promoted for adding features to snapseed anymore

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
is it just me that loves to gently caress around with settings and knew that adobe had a toggle to analyze your pictures for years now

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
man, I've been trying to remember the name of this classic app that did batch image conversion etc. for a while, and thanks to the Garden I figured it out: fuckin DeBabelizer
https://www.manifest-tech.com/ce_photo/debab_batch.htm

https://www.macintoshrepository.org/646-debabelizer-1-6-x

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
imgur

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

do you ask the imgur community to improve your family photos

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well I don’t ask my family

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
fat fingering my telephone while high and discovering new features

~*discoverability*~

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Agile Vector posted:

idk about the desktop version, but for IOS its been my go-to photo tinkering app for years now, about the only think it doesn't have built-in is any denoising, everything else is right there and works exceptionally well - I think it was the first photo-retouch app I tried to have a decent healing brush tool.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Chris Knight posted:

I use and like the Affinity ones, they go on sale pretty often too

they recently released 2.0 and had a massive sale around black friday

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
rip stebe
https://twitter.com/nanoraptor/status/1611867731443474434

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

NoneMoreNegative posted:

idk about the desktop version, but for IOS its been my go-to photo tinkering app for years now, about the only think it doesn't have built-in is any denoising, everything else is right there and works exceptionally well - I think it was the first photo-retouch app I tried to have a decent healing brush tool.

the localized adjustments are something I've not seen a lot of apps do, so it's found a home again on my phone. much better than lightroom's capture into their cloud storage edit flow for my personal photos use

this reminded me of picasa and how they did something that drove me off it on the desktop, but i can't remember what. I want to say cutting functionality, or discontinuing it after breaking a workflow

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i know i'm one of the adobe stans in this motherfucker but even i am cancelling after my current month and idk. probably going to Find A Copy Of Photoshop and then switch to davinci resolve for video. gently caress them

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

so wait- what happened with adobe?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PIZZA.BAT posted:

so wait- what happened with adobe?

theyre opting everybody's lightroom pictures in to build AI GPT ML garbage datasets

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
affinity seems good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i use affinity photo for raw and it's pretty good imo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
isn't that going to be a copyright and trademark nightmare considering how many huge companies use their products for business graphics

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you can't sue a machine

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

infernal machines posted:

you can't sue a machine

yes you can :911:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

infamous example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Forty_Barrels_and_Twenty_Kegs_of_Coca-Cola

i had to look up the case name because lol @ remembering all that

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
those cases are always good for a laff

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Approximately_64,695_Pounds_of_Shark_Fins

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Dakota_v._Fifteen_Impounded_Cats

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_1958_Plymouth_Sedan_v._Pennsylvania

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

i know i'm one of the adobe stans in this motherfucker but even i am cancelling after my current month and idk. probably going to Find A Copy Of Photoshop and then switch to davinci resolve for video. gently caress them

affinity photo has >90% functionality overlap with photoshop

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
davinci is superior to premier

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

echinopsis posted:

davinci is superior to premier

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bought a davinci licence ways back, and apparently it happened at the time of a discount, so my purchase was given a complimentary video nerd keyboard (that i've still to learn to use):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

it's really not difficult lol. the jog is for scrubbing through your timeline and the keys are pretty self-explanatory

it's a nice box though. i've used it (i think, maybe it was slightly different) before