Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Splicer posted:

What if we made the tracks the exact width of a Tesla and I was about to go more into this deliberately stupid idea until I realised my shitpost was reinventing the hyperloop from first principles.

Clearly there's no innovation left. We need to disrupt it. How about we buy the train network and ruin it, so only cars exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

Man, I know there was a lot to unpack in crazy post, but how did no one comment on the assertion that drivers need to be available at all hours, not even getting lunch breaks. Also their worth is estimated at a measly 17k and they'll need a second job during their no off time

because my brain was too overloaded at all the bullshit preceding and following whatever the hell that was

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

twistedmentat posted:

Is there a good way to keep poor people out of it?

Looking into it

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Chrpno posted:

Well what they could do next is put these cars on their own road, or track if you like, then join them together kinda, but the front one would have a driver in it, then you could have various pickup points or "stations" along the way

We could call it a "Chain"! Or even run them underground like some sort of "Hyper-Chain".

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Edmund Sparkler posted:

One of the best things Logitech did was standardize their wireless dongles and allow you to connect 5 devices to one receiver. There's got to be so much e waste generated by so many wireless keyboards and mice getting separated from their receivers so they just get tossed.

Funny story about that: this week, I was on the phone with Logitech Service 2x, trying all kinds of fixes because after I installed a new Logi wireless USB mouse and the Unifying Software, my Logi wireless USB headset lost its connection and wouldn't get it back...so now they're going to send me a new wireless headset.
Apparently the new Unifying software connection goes from the PC to the device, but my old-ish H800 headset connects from the device to the PC, and isn't compatible with the newer software or something like that. Good customer relations, would buy their products again.

It's like a 3 car self-driving train of patheticness (if that's a word).

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

SLOSifl posted:

I like to think of the $15k cost of FSD as paying a driver for 24/7 service. If you drive a legacy vehicle, you are essentially your own personal driver. My time is quite valuable so I would have to pay myself about $17k to drive myself around and be available at my every whim. Keep in mind that as a personal driver you can’t just decide to go get lunch anytime, in case you need a ride somewhere. You’re always on the clock. 17k isn’t enough to survive on and you’re looking at a second job at minimum.

For that reason $15k is a very good deal for me. I don’t really go anywhere so a lot of that driver time is waiting - at worst I save $2k in driver wages and don’t have to pay taxes on that income either. So that’s $4k minus taxes minus the $2k right there. I have a medical condition that makes me react weird to alcohol so it is also much safer if I have to go somewhere.

Just a quick note: The speed limit is the fastest you can go, so maybe don’t complain about it. I get to pick up my kids on my Fridays from their preschool and the limit is 55mph because it’s an unmarked pavement that doesn’t fall within a residential boundary and joins directly to a “official state or national highway or leader road within 500 feet of the primary highway and is not designated as an evacuation route”. So legally it’s 55mph. Modern FSD will absolutely get you there pretty much no matter what’s been going on with work, and safely.

You bought a $15k Duke Nukem Forever pre-order. It's pretty funny.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
He already admitted he was just doing a bit

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1611669863097069569

:ironicat:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Elon is an expert at tanks because his stocks are tanking boom roasted

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

He already admitted he was just doing a bit

Sounds like something Elon would do after a series of bad posts...

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

The most mediocre people are the ones that think they are experts in everything. Ukraine is using tanks very effectively. Russia is sending lone tanks into villages with no infantry support so shockingly they are getting blown up non stop

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
Tanks will never make it in this modern age. Ukrainian should really be investing in personal cave dwelling submarines. :getin:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s time to bring back Lancers

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

kazil posted:

Elon is an expert at tanks because his stocks are tanking boom roasted

He's also an expert in death traps

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

What does Catturd2 think about tanks?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ilmucche posted:

Camera only FSD makes a lot more sense when it's used for a single lane tunnel that has white lines at the edge of the road. At that point build another subway though
I paid $7 for a full self driving upgrade for my car yesterday. Only works on one stretch of tunnel thats 30 ft but it's very impressive.

I think it's called 'the car wash'

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My god I can’t believe Elon is also talented in the ways of war

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I've seen that movie, too. Lebanon, from around 2009. A lone tank being a 'deathtrap' is not exactly a new or original insight. And especially the old Russian tanks were under-maintained for decades before being deployed in Ukraine.

"The movie follows four inexperienced soldiers inside a tank dispatched to “mop up” enemies in a Lebanese town that has already been bombarded by the Israeli Air Force.

What seems a routine mission quickly spirals out of control and turns into a death trap as the tank breaks down and loses its way in hostile territory."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMRD3z_mTqI

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Funny Elon came up with this brilliant tactical insight.
Only after near a year of footage of tanks being blown up.

Next he'll tell us the future of warfare is using drones.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

SLOSifl posted:

I like to think of the $15k cost of FSD as paying a driver for 24/7 service. If you drive a legacy vehicle, you are essentially your own personal driver. My time is quite valuable so I would have to pay myself about $17k to drive myself around and be available at my every whim. Keep in mind that as a personal driver you can’t just decide to go get lunch anytime, in case you need a ride somewhere. You’re always on the clock. 17k isn’t enough to survive on and you’re looking at a second job at minimum.

For that reason $15k is a very good deal for me. I don’t really go anywhere so a lot of that driver time is waiting - at worst I save $2k in driver wages and don’t have to pay taxes on that income either. So that’s $4k minus taxes minus the $2k right there. I have a medical condition that makes me react weird to alcohol so it is also much safer if I have to go somewhere.

Just a quick note: The speed limit is the fastest you can go, so maybe don’t complain about it. I get to pick up my kids on my Fridays from their preschool and the limit is 55mph because it’s an unmarked pavement that doesn’t fall within a residential boundary and joins directly to a “official state or national highway or leader road within 500 feet of the primary highway and is not designated as an evacuation route”. So legally it’s 55mph. Modern FSD will absolutely get you there pretty much no matter what’s been going on with work, and safely.

Who could possibly be stupid enough to hype Tesla in...

Oh, oh there he is.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

SRQ posted:

Who could possibly be stupid enough to hype Tesla in...

Oh, oh there he is.

He already admitted that he was doing a bit, but honestly that post was way too close to something Three Olives (or any Tesla fan) would post to be distinguishable as parody

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

SLOSifl posted:

(indigenous rattle)

edit: gently caress, I’m sorry. This isn’t real and I’m a little surprised people think I was actually supporting Tesla here. I guess yeah, who knows anymore.

If this was an attempt at comedy, you failed.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Trolling someone smart and successful might make a person a douche but what does that have to do with elon musk?

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kazil posted:

What does Catturd2 think about tanks?

You’d already know if they weren’t totally SUPPRESSED

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Elon Musk is the greatest military mind of our time but luckily he is too busy saving the planet from global warming and the woke mind virus plus colonizing mars.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Behold, the future of mass transit

https://twitter.com/urorientalist/status/1611717485828489221?s=46&t=Y1v_0WQBlODx2mDU3iOkxw

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

On my early morning drive I just realize how often I reach over and quickly change my climate controls or my volume with delightful feeling dials.

Astounded people would have it any other way.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Elon at his CES keynote: This is only the beginning. Soon, every person with a smart phone will be able to request pick up from one of our hylerloop vehicles from anywhere that they are - and the vehicles won't be limited to hyperloop tracks, either. They'll even be able to drive you to any destination on domestic roads.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Inventing the car pool...BUT WITH RGB LIGHTS!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Besides all the reasons that are typically brought for why this is dumb as hell... just look how much labor it takes to keep this running. Lmao. The same thing could be done with one or two buses/drivers.

Or just walking, you lazy piece of poo poo.

E: wait, that guy thinks it's unironically genius, doesn't he?

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 7, 2023

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
So even in the tunnel built specifically for Teslas they have an employee driving the car? Is it a legality thing?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

E: wait, that guy thinks it's unironically genius, doesn't he?
He thinks it's a good way to be cool and rich, but is pretty clearly prepared to back out and play it off as "yeah I just thought it was ok."

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Wanna be the employee that ushers people to cars like someone working at a carnival

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

https://twitter.com/realbirdlawyer/status/1611749697496178688

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Evilreaver posted:

He already admitted that he was doing a bit, but honestly that post was way too close to something Three Olives (or any Tesla fan) would post to be distinguishable as parody

"It's all rubbish you know, cars that drive themselves were created ages ago. They are called taxis" -James may

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

zedprime posted:

I paid $7 for a full self driving upgrade for my car yesterday. Only works on one stretch of tunnel thats 30 ft but it's very impressive.

I think it's called 'the car wash'

ayy lmao

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Let me just clarify

Tesla built a tunnel under Vegas to shave off 10-15mins walking.
Packs it full of teslas
Hires a load of people to drive them to the other end and pick other people up and return back?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Tai posted:

Let me just clarify

Packs it full of teslas
Hires a load of people to drive them to the other end and pick other people up and return back?

never gonna get to mars with this attitude, fuckign luddite

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I like how the video cut away as soon as the car slowed down because of traffic ahead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Tai posted:

Let me just clarify

Packs it full of teslas

Yes, and there's no emergency exits in the tunnel.