Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BurningBeard posted:

If PoE 2 had had similar tools to Aurora for NWN, it would be my undisputed goat game.

That, or a really robust procgen system for good dungeon crawls. There’s so much variability in it and it excels at telling you hell yes when you ask “Can I do that?”

Pre rendered backgrounds vs a tile system is probably a huge issue in modding PoE over NWN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Pre rendered backgrounds vs a tile system is probably a huge issue in modding PoE over NWN

Hey, dude can dream.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

OzFactor posted:

I've had a broken laptop for a long time and just got it fixed and now I want to play around with a new Deadfire character. I want to make a Sneaky Gun Mage. I will not be playing on harder difficulties so I'm not worried about optimization, I just want to blink around and blast stuff. I feel like I could get some mileage out of a Trickster Rogue with either an Enchanter Wizard or Arcane Archer Ranger. Basically, the trade-off being the extra flexibility of the Enchanter or the extra ranged focus of the Ranger (plus the extra body in the pet). Would either of these fit better? What exactly is the Accuracy penalty of the Arcane Archer when not using elemental attacks?

I fully support your idea of gun mage build, here's some thoughts and ideas for the concept:

Multiclassing:
Wizard - I personally don't think the bonuses offered by any of the specialized wizard subclasses make up for losing access to certain spell types and making non-specialized spells take longer to cast. There's not one spell school I'd want to cut out of my arsenal, and removing two whole schools of spells is very painful. Even with something as strong as Evokers' double cast ability, I'll still lament the loss of transmutation spells which have a lot of great damage and utility options of their own. But since you're not worried about optimization, you could go with whatever theming fits your idea for this character.
Trickster - If you do stick with Enchanter, Trickster gives access to many of the good defensive and crowd control Illusion spells you'd otherwise be restricted from. For instance, even a multiclassed Trickster would be able to get more casts of Gaze of Adragan with Guile than a normal, non-Blood Mage Wizard. But again, the loss of transmutation spells would still hurt.
Assassin - Most guns suffer from Blunted Criticals so their damage isn't very spectacular when they crit. The Assassinate ability makes up for this by providing sheer critical bonus damage and added penetration so you're more likely to get the overpenetration damage bonus as well as the crit damage bonus when you crit. Guns work well with assassins because they can fire off a shot and then immediately interrupt the reload to cloak. They also synergize with wizard multiclassing due to an invisibility spell available from some unique grimoires so you can get more Assassination attacks out.
Streetfighter - If you're planning to use the mortars specifically, the Powder Burns modal will activate half of the Streetfighter bonus. And if you decide to go with Blood Mage as your Wizard subclass, Blood Sacrifice and playing around with your health margin can activate the full Streetfighter bonus, making you super fast and deadly.
Sharpshooter - The up close penetration bonus would help if you plan to use the lower range pistols or blunderbusses/mortars and would fit if you're planning to do a more run and gun playstyle (Sharpshooters also get crit chance bonus when firing at range, but again the Blunted Critical feature on longarm guns takes out a lot of the oomph on non-Assasinate gun crits). Rangers also have a quasi teleport like Rogues with Evasive Roll which would support this playstyle. This is more relevant to Maia and Ishiza, but a Wizard/Ranger could send out their Ranger pet on a defilade position and then use the Dimensional Shift spell to swap places and stun all the enemies in between them (works a little bit better with Ishi because he can't be engaged and is thus easier to maneuver around the battlefield, also an Enchanter wouldn't get access to this spell unfortunately).
Arcane Archer - To answer your question, the penalty for using non-elemental weapons is -5 Accuracy. For your purposes, the Dragon's Dowry arquebus counts as an elemental flame weapon and wouldn't suffer the penalty. The imbue Web and imbue Pull of Eora ability are both incredibly good battlefield controllers and a godsend for any type of ranged build. The Enchanter's unique subclass Dexterity affliction resistance would also sort of synergize here by giving you a limited time resistance to Web's affects but there better alternatives such as going Wood Elf for a more permanent resistance or using items for immunity (there's also a belt and helmet to give you immunity to push and pull effects from Pull of Eora).

Weapon Choices:
Mortars - Good synergy if you're already planning to multiclass with a Wizard who would presumably have a decent Intellect score and access to the Infuse with Vital Essence spell, since your high intellect would increase the AoE size of your mortars. Streetfighters again have good synergy with mortars from the Powder Burns modal making them Distracted/Flanked and activating their passive bonus. The general Ranger passive and active abilities would help mitigate the innate accuracy penalty that mortars/blunderbusses suffer (made even worse if going Streetfighter), and more specifically the Sharpshooter subclass would help out with the low end penetration on mortars. A case could even be made for using mortars on an Arcane Archer, even though they are non-elemental weapons, because Fire in the Hole gives an additional bounce attack so you can have another instance of Web or Pull of Eora launched with your attack (Pull of Eora being particularly awesome as it will bunch up your enemies together and make them easier to hit all at once with mortar blasts). In general, mortars are also great because they deal pierce/slash damage so they're usable in encounters against skeletons and other pierce immune enemies and they can spread attack ability effects in an AoE so for instance a Rogue can fire off Confounding Blind with mortars and debuff a whole group of enemies and make them vulnerable to Sneak Attack/Deathblows all at once, with subsequent attacks reducing Deflection and making them further vulnerable to crits. Mortars also don't suffer Blunted Criticals so their damage from criticals isn't hampered, provided you can overcome the mortar accuracy penalty in the first place to crit.
Dragon's Dowry - As the arquebus with the highest single-target damage potential, this would be a good choice for an Assassin and get the most bang for your buck out of the limited times you can cloak in a combat encounter. As technically a flame coded weapon, it would also be good in the hands of an Arcane Archer as it doesn't suffer any subclass penalty.
Scordeo's Trophy - If you use this pistol single handed with the pistol modal activated, you can dramatically increase your rate of fire for a net -3 accuracy penalty. If you then take the Opening Barrage upgrade on this pistol, you can then drop your reload speed even further as you attack. I was able to get the cumulative attack and reload time for this gun below 2.0 seconds at high enough stacks of Opening Barrage along with the Sure-Handed Ila chant. A solid and straightforward DPS weapon.
Red Hand - Another great DPS weapon choice. While you can't get the reload time as low as Scordeo's Trophy, being able to fire off two shots before reloading still translates to a lot of spike damage. The Double Tap ability to obliterate skeletons also lends it more flexibility, especially if you're not playing on POTD or with upscaling. Note that there is some incorrect information floating around about the No Rest for the Wicked/Guilty Conscience giving you a bonus to all damage, but it only applies to the weapon itself.
Thundercrack Pistol - I know I've said most guns don't make good crit weapons but this one has a unique upgrade that can paralyze enemies when you crit. Wielding it single handed and taking the One-Handed Style passive, it can chain paralyze enemies in the hands of a Ranger with high accuracy (and a Wizard multi with high Intellect that would be able to extend that duration).
Eccea's Arcane Blaster - This would be a good backup weapon because it deals raw damage so you can have an option against pierce immune enemies or bosses with high armor.
Spearcaster - While technically not a gun, it is a ranged reload weapon that shares the same characteristics as a firearm. It's scaling accuracy bonus with Arcana gives it good synergy with a Arcane Archer, who also benefits from high Arcana and can use it to offset its penalty as a non-elemental weapon. The really nice thing about this arbalest is that it has a chance to interrupt, knockdown, knockback, daze, and immobilize with every shot, making it a great debuff tool.

Other gear considerations:
Acina's Tricorn - a funky thing about this hat is that it can benefit some ranged spells as well as ranged attacks, making it doubly useful on a caster/archer build
Ajamuut's Stalking Cloak - gives you a stun effect while stealthed. It's a natural pairing on an Assassin, but it can also be ridiculously good with mortars for an opening salvo that stuns a group of enemies.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I think a Wizard/Rogue would be pretty rad. With Blunderbuss Mortars you could apply things like Gouging Strike and Toxic Strike in a big aoe. If you get tired of shooting with guns you can also summon Kalakoth's Blights and do the same thing.

I've built Aloth this way before and it's pretty fun and good. A more optimized pc with such a build would be even better I'm sure.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Thanks! I think I will try Trickster / Enchanter and see how much I miss the transmutation spells. If I'm using mortars or pistols, is there any good reason to think about dual wielding as opposed to one plus a grimoire?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

OzFactor posted:

Thanks! I think I will try Trickster / Enchanter and see how much I miss the transmutation spells. If I'm using mortars or pistols, is there any good reason to think about dual wielding as opposed to one plus a grimoire?

Grimoires don't occupy equipment slots, so you can choose whatever weapons you'd prefer.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

OzFactor posted:

Grimoire is in a separate gear slot so you can double fist guns to your heart's content without affecting your spellcasting abilities.

The more I think about it, the more I like the Trickster/Arcane Archer option that you were originally considering. Especially if you go with mortars for your weapon choice, despite the Arcane Archer accuracy penalty that comes with it. You'll get the excellent accuracy and damage profile of a rogue/ranger multi, which is good for mortars use, while also incorporating some nice Wizard spells that benefit a ranged build.

Combat could start with an opening salvo of Imbue Eora. The added bounce attacks from Fire in the Hole's upgrade and the Driving Flight ranger passive will give you three instances of Pull of Eora from one use, creating a gravitational three-body problem for your enemies. You can then cast Gaze of the Adragan to lock them in place once they've formed a juicy, clumped together target for your mortars' AoE. This also serves to make them more vulnerable to crits as a side effect of the paralyze status. Then hit them with Confounding Blind to fully activate Deathblows/Sneak Attack and just go to town. As you keep attacking and enemies lose health, the likelihood of getting crits increases thanks to the Survival of the Fittest passive and the stacking deflection penalty from Confounding Blind.

I think it could be a pretty cool fit for your gun mage concept and mixes crowd control with lethality. It's almost like getting 2.5 classes' worth of value with this particular multi. Even though it lacks the flexibility of having the full complement of spells of a traditional Wizard, the few that you do have access to are really good for the play style.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I think Trickster/Arcane archer would give you enough spells from the subclass to feel "magey" without actually needing to be a wizard. I think my mages are generally casting and rarely use autoattacks, especially with slower weapons like guns.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Yeah auto-attacking with weapons also drops off for me on my dedicated casters as they gain more spell levels. I still like arming my casters with arquebuses because they fulfill a niche need where I don't necessarily want to make a weapon attack all that often, but when I do, I'd like for it to be dependable. The dramatic accuracy boost you get from the arquebus Aimed Shot modal helps make your shots land and even better is the fact that you can immediately interrupt reloads on guns, mitigating most of the arquebus modal's penalty, without interfering with subsequent spell casting. I forgot to include this on the list, but the soulbound arquebus Blightheart is another nice gun mage option because it acts like a stat stick that gives Wizards a corrode lash for their spells and you can always take the occasionally potshot with it when you need to.

But if we're looking at a dedicated ranged combatant like a Ranger, I'd have to begrudgingly admit that bows and rods probably have the higher ceiling and can leverage their high accuracy and crit potential way better than guns, or at least arquebuses. The AoE and instant recovery effects of the former just completely outclasses the DPS of even a top tier arquebus like the Red Hand while also having the added flexibility of multiple damage types and other synergies like Frostseeker's ability to completely strip buffs and defenses thanks to its multishot with Concussive Tranquilizer.

I just love early gunpowder weapons in a fantasy setting so I make a point of using them if I can, powergaming be damned. One kind of cool and unique thing about guns in this setting is that they have the arcane veil piercing attribute so they're technically the go-to ghostbusting armament against spirits. My head canon conjecture is that it's not necessarily the velocity of the bullets or whatever that causes this, but maybe some property of lead that happens to break up spirit matter or has an adverse reaction to ectoplasm, like how copper seems to have some soul conductive property in animancy tech.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I auto attack a fair bit with Aloth but that's with the Blackbow spell. Cast that and cast an essential phantom and it's pretty effective and low maintenance and he's providing CC with very little effort for me

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Arcane Archer talk makes me want to try an Arcane Archer / Helwalker. Seems like a pretty neat combo. Would lightning strikes let any weapon avoid the Archer accuracy malus?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
It has to be an elemental coded weapon for AA's not to suffer the accuracy penalty. So weapons that have either/or alternative elemental damage types such as Frostseeker's frost and Essence Interrupter's shock damage types will count. Some weapons with elemental lashes will work such as Dragon's Dowry's burn lash but it's not consistent or at least I'm not sure why some will count while others don't. Elemental melee weapons such as Lord Darryn's Volgue will even count but I don't think the Imbue abilities work too well with a melee build unless you deliberately build against the danger close abilities going off in face/melee range - might as well go Stalker if you're planning to do a melee Ranger.

Another thing to watch out for with the AA's Imbue abilities is that the damaging abilities such as Imbue Fireball or Imbue Missiles don't properly scale which is why the battlefield hazard Imbues like Pull of Eora and Web get more praise. I should also point out that even though I gush about how strong Imbue: Eora is, it's a power level 7 ability so multiclasses won't get it until level 19.

For an AA/Helwalker build, I'd look at Frostseeker as my main elemental weapon. Concussive Tranquilizer gets applied three times due to it's multishot feature, making it all but guaranteed to interrupt and strip all defenses. This is my go-to magekiller setup and you can use it to good effect against Concelhaut, Katrenn, the battle lich, or any other wizard that likes to prime Wizard spell defenses. Frostseeker also has really good synergy with the Stunning Surge monk ability - not only do you have 3 chances to refund the cost on the initial hit, but if any of the shots do crit, they proc the AoE which will carry through the stun to enemies within it. Helwalker in general is a good buffing class for AoE weapons like Frostseeker, giving you +2 penetration from Thunderous Blows, more action speed and a shock lash with Lightning Strikes, more intellect for AoE size with Duality of Mortal Presence, and accuracy and bonus Might/damage from the stacking wounds bonus from Dance of Death.

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.
Does nobody have lore questions?

It makes this cat... Sad.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Tagaziel posted:

The slaver quests left me a little confused because I don’t think the writing was clear. I think the idea was that slave trading was legal in Deadfire so long as you weren’t capturing/selling Huana? Is that correct?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Tagaziel posted:

Be the change you want to see my friend.

I obviously love the character creation/making builds aspect of the game, but I also love the worldbuilding and lore of the Eora setting. I hope they bring back Lore as a passive skill in another Pillars game but it instead acts like the Encyclopedia skill in Disco Elysium and just spouts out random tidbits and esoterica about the world. Like, tell me the name of the ranga nui's nephew or regale me with stories of the street urchin gang terrorizing the shops of Copperlane. Inject facts about the calendar cycle or different currencies directly into my viens.

Basically me reading any of the POE lore books:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AUaXI4jU88

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

The slaver quests left me a little confused because I don’t think the writing was clear. I think the idea was that slave trading was legal in Deadfire so long as you weren’t capturing/selling Huana? Is that correct?

That's right, and it's one of the things that puts the Huana in a bad light, though there are some nuances:

1. The Huana do not practice slavery. They don't keep foreign slaves or transport slaves themselves. What's legal is foreigners keeping, transporting, and using foreign slaves on foreign owned property in the Deadfire.

2. It's this way because the Valians (and other non-Rauatai cultures maybe?) made it an issue. They demanded under threat of violence that the Huana respect their property rights, including their many slaves.

3. The Huana lack the naval power to enforce a ban on slavery, so "please at least don't enslave us" is a compromise, most seem to prefer "get the gently caress out of here with the slaves" but they can't get that to stick. The Huana want you to kill the slavers once you discover they broke even that rule, though they don't mind if you kill them without evidence. gently caress them.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Tagaziel posted:

The setting and lore of Eora are among my favorites. The lengthy and deliberately patchy history, the nature of souls, the different peoples and nations, the geography; it's all my jam and I'm looking forward to more. Without excluding any other possibilities, I want a carefully manifested Eora I can just vibe in.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'm a sucker for intensely detailed worlds, and PoE2's one of the few games that scratches that itch sufficiently. When I roll up into a port and you tell me the population, major exports, and key religious denominations, I'm hooked.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Vermain posted:

I'm a sucker for intensely detailed worlds, and PoE2's one of the few games that scratches that itch sufficiently. When I roll up into a port and you tell me the population, major exports, and key religious denominations, I'm hooked.

Love how the shrouded island in the far SE of the map handles that too.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Re: Arcane Archer. Someone on the Obsidian forums made a neat discovery that the on-crit attack from Frostseeker is melee, not the AoE itself but the attack triggered by the crit that causes the AoE. It is an auto-hit. Mageslayers provide stacking spell failure chances on melee hits so oddly enough using that bow can make them stack up some spell disruption from range pretty quickly. So pairing that with Mageslayer and using Frostseeker can be a pretty solid caster killer if you can stack accuracy and crit a lot. Kind of a funny theme though. I'm not sure Mageslayer and Arcane Archer go that well together thematically but you could do it.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Mr. Prokosch posted:

That's right, and it's one of the things that puts the Huana in a bad light, though there are some nuances:

1. The Huana do not practice slavery. They don't keep foreign slaves or transport slaves themselves. What's legal is foreigners keeping, transporting, and using foreign slaves on foreign owned property in the Deadfire.

2. It's this way because the Valians (and other non-Rauatai cultures maybe?) made it an issue. They demanded under threat of violence that the Huana respect their property rights, including their many slaves.

3. The Huana lack the naval power to enforce a ban on slavery, so "please at least don't enslave us" is a compromise, most seem to prefer "get the gently caress out of here with the slaves" but they can't get that to stick. The Huana want you to kill the slavers once you discover they broke even that rule, though they don't mind if you kill them without evidence. gently caress them.

Atsura also tries to paint the Kahanga as tacitly endorsing slavery because they haven't yet cleared out Crookspur on their own but the Huana have been placed in a holding pattern by his very faction. Like, the RDC are literally besieging them with cannons pointed at their doorstep and have the gall to point out inadequate policing of the region. While there's certainly failures to the Kahangan leadership, the realpolitik approach that Queen Onekaza has to take by keeping her forces close and enemies closer to stave off further hostilities is a direct response to the RDC's aggressive posture in the region. The presence of slavers serves the RDC's justification that the Huana lack control of the Deadfire and thus the region would be better served under the administration of Rautaui, even though it is the imperial encroachment by both the RDC and Vailians that has contributed to the region's instability more than anything.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

Love how the shrouded island in the far SE of the map handles that too.

Also love how they handle Dunnage

Exports: Pirates

Playing Deadfire really got me on the “this is Obsidian’s competitor to Elder Scrolls” mindset

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
If they weren't gonna keep on making games then Forgotten Sanctum was a great place to leave off with the lore, by making it muddled and untrustworthy. The bit right at the end where it turns out Fyonlecg invented Wall Of Flames and Wall Of Many Colors, as well as another spell which doesn't even appear in the game is my fav bit of lore in the whole game, not sure why it just strikes a chord

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

2house2fly posted:

If they weren't gonna keep on making games then Forgotten Sanctum was a great place to leave off with the lore, by making it muddled and untrustworthy. The bit right at the end where it turns out Fyonlecg invented Wall Of Flames and Wall Of Many Colors, as well as another spell which doesn't even appear in the game is my fav bit of lore in the whole game, not sure why it just strikes a chord

I also liked Forgotten Sanctum a lot because I think if the canonical choice is the Watcher followed Tarn’s request to let the captured escape then that’s a great jumping off point for new stories and characters without having to play the Watcher of Cad Nua again.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

2house2fly posted:

Eder and the Ten is the one that gets me, for sure

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
The most intriguing thing out Forgotten Sanctum for me is the spore colony that absorbed the OG Llengrath's knowledge and his discovery of how to graft souls as a means of escaping the reincarnation cycle. Such a weird left field approach to immortality/escaping the control of the gods has got to have some crazy implications for the world post destruction of the Wheel, which is why I kept a save state where I gave the body of Wael over to the colony and also gave OG Llengrath's collections to the current iteration so I can import the world state into a theoretical PoE3 and see where it will go. I am ready to reject reincarnation and embrace mycological propagation :shroom:

Naturally I also have another save where I gave the body to Concelhaut just to see how bad things will get and also so I can kill him for a third time.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

2house2fly posted:

I made sure to look if I had somehow missed a spell called Pristine Barrier after that conversation. I wonder why it doesn't exist anymore, was it made irrelevant by other spells or some sort of technological advancement ?

Man, I hope we get a Pillars of Eternity 3. They can even get rid of the pre-rendered backgrounds and go full dynamic 3D if they want, as Ropekid has said he would probably do. I would mourn, but I wouldn't get mad.

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 8, 2023

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Officially, what determines Pallegina's loyalty in the endgame? The discourse keeps changing as to what effect her ending from the first game affects the climax of the second game.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Officially, what determines Pallegina's loyalty in the endgame? The discourse keeps changing as to what effect her ending from the first game affects the climax of the second game.

It's a question of whether or not she's been punished by the Republic as the result of her quest in PoE1. She's less willing to go against the Republic if she's already on 'thin ice'.

This is a little convoluted because if you send the souls to Galawain in PoE1 then Pallegina ends up not being punished even if she went against her orders.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Greaseman posted:

This is a little convoluted because if you send the souls to Galawain in PoE1 then Pallegina ends up not being punished even if she went against her orders.

She still gets punished here, the punishment is just revoked and she’s forgiven when they realize that she made the correct choice.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Felt really smart taking Vatnir as a straight priest on my first Beast of Winter run :)

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Do Paladin players or companions have that mechanic of having to follow the virtues of the paladin order, in Deadfire? Am I remembering that correctly from POE1?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Do Paladin players or companions have that mechanic of having to follow the virtues of the paladin order, in Deadfire? Am I remembering that correctly from POE1?

Yup, although it's a soft requirement where not adhering to their favored dispositions weakens your defense boosting passive. It's also the only multiclassing restriction: Paladin/Priests cannot have incompatible dispositions, so no Kind Wayfarer/Priest of Wael, for example.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

Yup, although it's a soft requirement where not adhering to their favored dispositions weakens your defense boosting passive. It's also the only multiclassing restriction: Paladin/Priests cannot have incompatible dispositions, so no Kind Wayfarer/Priest of Wael, for example.

Paladin/Priests PCs have to abide by their dispositions to not get penalized. Pallegina/Xoti can do whatever they want.

But while PCs can get punished for not sticking to dispositions, they also get bonuses if they do so. I believe that NPC Priests/Paladins get static bonuses that don't change. They won't get penalized, but their bonuses are set to a flat, smaller, rate.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I generally don’t play cruel PCs, but I really like the bleak walkers’ bonus, if I’m creating a non-Pallegina paladin to run with

E- also I don’t really like aggressive PCs but like the idea of magranite priest companions as well

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 9, 2023

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
I'm pretty sure I managed a Magran paladin on purely by mostly picking 'passionate' dialogue options. Certainly wasn't overly aggressive

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I generally don’t play cruel PCs, but I really like the bleak walkers’ bonus, if I’m creating a non-Pallegina paladin to run with

E- also I don’t really like aggressive PCs but like the idea of magranite priest companions as well

These days when I replay the game I'll go full custom party with hired adventurers so I can try out multiple different builds at once. These playthroughs also often end up being evil runs because I'll throw in Bleak Walkers, Steel Garrote, or Priests of Woedica into the mix and also try to take on every fight possible for the challenge. Story companions get the bench for powergaming reasons but mainly so I don't disappoint them with my mean words.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Reporting back that I went with an Old Vailian Aristocratic Hearth Orlan Scout (Trickster / Arcane Archer) who I have decided is Basically John Constantine, playing with the discarded weapons of the gods and trying to trick everyone into letting him live one day longer. Who needs spells and magic when you can just trick everyone into thinking you have spells and magic? Lot less work that way.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Very uncharacteristically for me my first playthrough wasn't a lawful good goody two-shoes, but rather a slightly less scrupled mercenary. Still had a moral compass, but wasn't above a bit of crime and violence if it felt called for.

That's about as evil as I manage in games like this.

...my next run will be benevolent to a fault to compensate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I tend towards playing benevolent-to-a-fault characters in RPGs, but Obsidian make being someone who is kind of a dickhead way too much fun for me to resist for long.